Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating doppelganger - When a friend does the meet/greet...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 3
Dating doppelganger - When a friend does the meet/greet...Page 1 of 1    
Never had to deal with misrepresentation myself but had a friend who said he met an online date and the picture in her profile was her sister. I would have left right then and there.

In your case, at least you got to meet the lady in question.

You should have replied that you'd take both of them and called each out for a date.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 8
Dating doppelganger - When a friend does the meet/greet...
Posted: 3/4/2010 10:38:41 AM
Ever consider mebbe she realised on your first 'date' that you two weren't a match?... But she thought that mebbe you'd be 'perfect' for her friend?

It WOULD have been better to be honest and straight up about it, but hey...

That being said, there WERE some odd happenings over there during the Olympics!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 4:58:33 PM
I HAVE heard of this. Read about it in more than one place. No, it isn't common at all, but it's far from unheard of. It's a TERRIBLE idea that some few women have had, sometimes to try to help a friend get a date (the WORST reason), sometimes to get YOU road tested by a tougher friend (still dumb, but slightly less pitiful), and sometimes just to yank a guys chain (vicious).
What I would do, is politely shake the hand of the stand-in, say "nice to meet you" gracefully, and then turn back to the bar television and go on with your life as if nothing at all happened. As someone said, it's usually a junior high school level idea Running into women pretending to be grownups is the only really surprising thing about it.
I wouldn't call to explain. If they call YOU and ask for explanation, you could tell them then, but since they made you angry, your explanation is just adding more negativism to an already unpleasant and embarrassing mess.
 Ender330
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 7:14:32 PM
Hmm...ok I am going to try a different approach and go all out on this one...

But maybe...they could be thinking 3 some here...and trying to find out how open you are to the idea of switching up, by testing you with these little games.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:23:07 AM
Maybe the recently read Cyrano, or watched Roxanne?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating doppelganger - When a friend does the meet/greet...