Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How important is critical thinking and open-mindedness?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stargazer1000
Msg: 2
How important is critical thinking and open-mindedness? Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Critical thinking and true open-mindedness are sadly in short supply as plenty of surveys and responses in these threads indicate. Want to see the effects of their opposites? Look around you.
 JP1111
Msg: 3
How important is critical thinking and open-mindedness?
Posted: 3/4/2010 11:22:18 AM
That question (although a very interesting one), can not be answered. Why not? Simply because it all comes down to each person personal belief, way of seeing things etc.. So at best, you will end up finding people who may disagree with each other or of course, agree with each other!

And in the end, will you really have an answer?

Critical thought and open-mindedness are at the heart of science. If we live in a world that doesn't push these qualities to the forefront, how might that effect our future?

It's a short question because that's all I can throw into the air.. :)

But to give my two cents, if critical thought and open-mindedness were not at the fore-front, then we would cease to evolve.

The reason why discoveries are found is because someone had an idea, pursued it, observe the results and sure enough, it becomes a new discovery!

Of course, I did enjoy that you made no mention of “good” or “bad” discoveries. Why would anyone want to discover the nuclear bomb? I know, I know, they have been used throughout history which shaped today’s reality but I’m talking about the invention of it… not the “proper” use of it.
 Island home
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/4/2010 1:59:23 PM

As a measure of their importance
I would say their balance is more important than either individual factor

Open mindedness opens us to the new
Critical thinking guards us from gullibility

Too much or not enough of either will cause us problems
 Alli_oop
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:37:51 PM
Without it every single one of us would be on our knees praying for something or other.
 maximusminimus
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:58:09 PM
Then by all means, women should not engage in critical thinking or be open minded. I want them on their knees praying for something or other. Paradise!

Later that same day when the deed is done and the world had been made right...

Intellectual skills are useful for a given purpose, enjoyable just because, and necessary to prevent the mayhem of dullard rage. Importance is linked to some measure. Critical thinking is unimportant to belching the alphabet, yet indispensable for planning a state of the art power grid. Open mindedness is very important when dealing with diverse cultures to establish a framework of international law, but wouldn't be missed at a cross burning ceremony in the woods.
 edisto
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/4/2010 7:54:51 PM

Critical thought and open-mindedness are at the heart of science.

without critical thought there is no questioning
without open mindedness there is only a finite amount of possible solutions

critical thought and open-mindedness are what is needed to explore all the questions and all the answers that society needs to progress into uncharted territories- our future...

close minded people without critical thinking skills -
are not who will solve our future problems
they are those that keep us in the realm of status quo-
 aremeself
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 11:11:08 PM
there are a lot of participants on these and other sites, that with there terminology and highly critical judgment, try very hard to dictate what is an open mind, and what is just plain silly.

in other words, the thoughts have to line up with their thinking or they get very dismissive.
 SlimSeeksStrong
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:14:55 AM
---- "Critical thought and open-mindedness are at the heart of science." -----

OK, but you have got nothing, if you don't start with the beginning: knowlegde.
(So, scratch believings. Obsessive swarms of people claim "open-mindedness" as beeing open to their 'believings'. )
 JustDukky
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:29:08 PM

I would ask how is critical thinking formed with children?

In general terms, it isn't. Only around puberty does a child seriously begin critical examination of what has been learned.

What causes children to be open-minded?

Children are open minded by nature. They have much to learn and little time to learn it, so in the early years their minds are like sponges, eagerly soaking up all that they can. Filtering everything with critical thought would drastically slow the process and make them slow learners.

How do we encourage more of the above ?

Children are generally too busy amassing information to filter it critically. They rely on authorities like parents & teachers to tell them the truth. Don't lie to them and don't propagandize your personal beliefs. When a kid asks you sincerely whether or not Santa really exists, don't try to continue the well-intentioned charade by lying. He has begun to critically examine conflicting information and relies on you for truth so he can know (and learn to discern) what is to be kept and what is to be discarded. If you send him down the wrong trail in his search for truth, you are only doing him harm. It is OK to tell a child your beliefs as long as you qualify them by saying that's what they are. Presenting beliefs as truths can be every bit as harmful to intellectual development as lying if your beliefs aren't provably true. Tell kids not only what you know, but what you DON'T know...Give them a chance to wonder about some of the great mysteries that "even you" couldn't figure out. In other words, if you want them to become thinkers, by all means give them food for thought.
 LeCutter
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:44:12 PM
Being open-minded is important, critical thinking is more important. Far too many people are open-minded, yet lack critical thinking abilities. And yes, critical thinking is something that takes training, whereas anyone can be open-minded.
 Inicia
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:14:56 PM

Obsessive swarms of people claim "open-mindedness" as beeing open to their 'believings'. )

IMO objectivity is plagued with subjectivity. Personal bias is impossible to remove, hence, critical thinking often involves applying societal strictures as well as institutionally learned biases to new theories and ideas. Therefore how open minded can one be while applying the critical thought process?

IMO It may take an equal amount of skill and training to be an open minded person as it does to be a critical thinking person... Most people become critical thinkers in their early college years but often their minds do not seem to open until they are senior citizen age and have several grand and great grand children.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:54:15 PM
I am open minded to almost an extreme, sometimes like children can be. I am very creative and usually speak my mind and act almost impulsively when in an enviroment when I am able to. That spontaneous nature of mine I embrace dearly because in my travels I have made few friends that truly empathize with that character quality.
When I am comfortable enough to be myself the energy flows, the critical thinking flies, and I make beautiful life long bonds. How ever the world is a judging place, where people like me are condemned, so I have learned to hind my true self behind the masks society forces me to wear. It's sad really for others that they cannot accept the diversity found in creative souls such as myself. In lots of unusual ways I see the world as a new place, with new beginings, and new adventures every single day.
It creeps some people out that live in their boxes, programmed by what they choose is correct to think and believe. Others that have gotten to know and see the real me, without my worldly cloaking device see a very unique, special, and beautiful person.
So in my opinion critical thinking is logical, and open mindedness soul candy.
Heres to the freedom of expression this thread represents. Awesome awesome topic OP.
 aremeself
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:17:35 PM
marlo.

more should have your guts!

now say something really controversial, and see what happens, oh, say in the evolution vs creation department.

and be persistent.
thanks.
 nipoleon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 2:16:23 AM

The Republican party not only considers these things unimportant, they act as if they were character flaws.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/7/2010 8:00:32 AM
Not true; I am a repulican. Then again I am full of contrast with many shades of gray, but still can be very black and white. I dont know what knid of republicans you hang with dude~ they are not in my circle for sure.
 aremeself
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:48:36 AM
everyone has their own limits on how open a mind in conversation should be, don't you think?

I can taste the constant struggle we have in that department.
 Epicetus
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/7/2010 4:43:47 PM
>>> it all comes down to each person personal belief>>>>

That's nice if survival was assured... hey what a luxury

>>> close minded people without critical thinking skills -
are not (the ones) who will solve our future problems
they are those that keep us in the realm of status quo- >>>

This is the crux... oh no, not for the sheeple that just bleat and take what's going, they make the world go around, but they will never save themselves..... D'oh, they expect others to save them

The ultimate purpose of this game of LIFE, is survival... and the better at it you are... then great
no, I don't mean you should lean on others (that's what a parasite does)... but the "stand on your own feet" type of survival

The study of science is "for survival"..ultimate survival of LIFE itself, so the thinking must be innovative and critically precise
The never satisfied sceptical scientist... always questioning and accepting nothing... is an enigma, never understood by the lay, and yet the lay will forcefully offer their rote as if it is their own words of wisdom... and then hit/slander you for questioning their logic..... earthlings are the pits

Unfortunately too many people believe too many things... because they do not have the contrary knowledge, the deep knowledge that has been hard won by critical thinkers over the aeons.... this knowledge is the foundation of science, which only a few take the time from their lifestyles to delve into..... an ice cream or a book ?

Unfortunately, a mass of knowledge is ill conceived, and perpetuated by poor thinkers... set in stone dogma....

How does one then know what is worth considering and what is propaganda/only belief.. ?
Only a scientist is equiped to handle such deep questions...... the rest just have to accept.... but please don't throw stones when someone says... that is wrong because.... at least they may have gone a little deeper in their thought (maybe ?) ----> critical discussion for the common good

Sorry if I am scathing... earthlings are the absolute pits IMO, and IME
 aremeself
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 4:52:14 PM
so, was that finally god?

god the scientist.

the ones who are wrong all the time.

in there quest for truth, of course!
I understsand that system, it's the best us idiots can come up with for now.
organized or for that matter any religion could learn from that, more knowledge.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/7/2010 5:08:28 PM
Being I am the one that questions everything only to come up with my own personal versions of an answert hat may seem wrong to quite a few people but right for me, I have this question to ask Mr. Scientist, being there are many highly educated posters on this thread~ Do you then believe that science is a religion? IMO what you are stating sounds as though you believe the scientific community to be above those of us with a mere simple education. IMO your arrogance is laughable because the true smarties that post on these threads try to share their knowledge, educating even me with their kind approaches out of the sheer enjoyment of seeing me grow into a better person. Isn't that an important outcome to critical thinking and open mindedness?
To educate and share knowledge? Even I may know things that I can share with you that can brighten up your day if you would take the time to see that I too have an inner beacon that glows.
 Epicetus
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:12:31 PM
>> Even I may know things that I can share with you

yes indeed... but eventually there is an end game

Science as a religion..?
well science would tell you that The Creator is unknowable... does a skin cell on your knee know anything about you ? LOL

but science has at least understood that all that lives is the ONE organism... a super-organism... so in some senses DNA is the god of earthlings... who the Creator is or what, will remain forever unknown ... IMO it is mathematics

So yes, you are I and I am you... and that goes for all life forms.... this is not belief.... even for aliens or eathlings

So you may call me arrogant... condescending or whatever... so be it, it does not change science one bit

LOL, I am just the messenger..yes a scientist.... but no, I am not here to teach or preach.... do you think you can understand from a few words, when some spend decades in diligent study... I will only confuse you...science is so much more than a few english words

But if you are aware, and diligent, open discussion is good. The teacher learns much from a pupil
peace
 stargazer1000
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:17:19 PM

Do you then believe that science is a religion?

No, I would say that science is the exact opposite of religion. Religion relies on faith and faith is belief, even in the absence or despite the best evidence. Evidence is what science relies on in order to either prove or disprove a particular hypothesis.

Now, there are those who it could be argued hold on to a particular theory or hypothesis with all the tenacity of the most ardent religious fundamentalist. but people being people are prone to devotion to a particular idea, particularly one they have a vested interest in. I'm thinking of the devotion some have had towards Modified Newtonian Dynamics. As I recall, the debate got a bit heated.

Of course, there are those who decry science and criticise those who stand by scientific reasoning because, they argue, it means that it is too "closed-minded" an approach. Nonsense. I would argue that scientists are far more open minded than some of their most ardent critics because they realize a) that there is more than one possible explanation for any phenomenon and b) they realize that scientific theory is always up for revision, by necessity.
 aremeself
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 8:31:46 PM
starr

I don't have your quote handy, but you and I have already settled the fact that evolution is not really proven, so it would take a bit of faith to believe also.
If you don't remember that, no problem, others have, and you know what I am getting at.

as a matter of fact almost everyone on the street that chooses to believe in evolution does so on 100% faith in scientists, and IT keeps changing, and I understand why.

peace.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/8/2010 5:43:58 AM

I don't have your quote handy, but you and I have already settled the fact that evolution is not really proven, so it would take a bit of faith to believe also.

Are, you've already shown on multiple occasions your poor understanding of the science of, well, anything. But please, if you've got a better alternative to evolution, let us know. Lets see if it stands up to the same rigors of scrutiny that evolution has.

You see, in science, there is no "faith." It's all based on the preponderance of evidence. I don't know why you can't seem to understand that very simple concept except for the fact that you (and others) refuse to understand it, except for a willful act of ignorance.

You're a part of the animal kingdom. You're not the special chosen creation of "God." Get over it.

If more people understood that simple concept, perhaps we'd be a lot more humble in our treatment of our planet.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:42:30 AM
Star~ Wiki states one definition of religion being a "systematic approach to living that involves beliefs about one's origin's, one's place in the world, or a responsibility to live and act in the world in particular ways". That is why I originally asked if one of the posters if science was a religion. Thinking critically with an open mind it appears to me on the surface with a scientific approach that it may just be. Scientist believe in theories that cannot yet be proven~ just to mention one thing. They have faith in the unknown and unproven (trying to prove stuff)~ I just wanted to hear the answer to that question from someone within the scientific community. Call it expanding my creative mind.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:57:53 AM

Thinking critically with an open mind it appears to me on the surface with a scientific approach that it may just be. Scientist believe in theories that cannot yet be proven~ just to mention one thing. They have faith in the unknown and unproven (trying to prove stuff)~ I just wanted to hear the answer to that question from someone within the scientific community. Call it expanding my creative mind.

And it's a fair question which I hope I answered satisfactorily. The difference, however, comes from the fact that scientists also have to find proof for what they assert. If it doesn't pass muster, than it isn't real. Granted, there are adherents to string theory. However, they are will aware that, without observed evidence, then it is a long way from acceptance in the same way that QT and Relativity are.

The problem, however, comes when you get people who are try to espouse a standpoint of willfull ignorance as some sort of honourable philosophy. That, somehow, realtivism is actually a means to "greater understanding" when it is, in fact, a means to maintain a world view regardless of the reality laid before them.

Hey, there are certainly levels of skepticism that are more akin to cynicism. However, many of the posts that I have seen from people like me who prefer a more scientific approach are certainly skeptical, not cynical.

The cynicism comes from those who suppose their dogmatic approach to their own beliefs somehow represent the ideal of "open-mindedness."
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > How important is critical thinking and open-mindedness?