Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should I Change My Number?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 2
Should I Change My Number?Page 1 of 1    
My sister owns a collection agency and I've helped her out a few times so I know that it doesn't even matter if you're the person they're calling for, if you explicitly tell them you do not want them to call you again, then any repeat calls are a violation of collection laws. But "wrong number" isn't good enough, you have to say, "do not call." Try to gather as much information about the company as you can along with the phone number and the date that you informed them not to call. You shouldn't have any problems after that but if you do, just search for where to report collection agency violations.
 readyfornow
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Should I Change My Number?
Posted: 3/5/2010 2:40:40 PM
I ran into a similar situation when I moved back to Vegas 14 years ago. The guy who previously had my number owed money on/to: three cars, at least a dozen credit cards and numerous finance companies. Unbelievable. The collection people weren't rude at all. Actually they were fun to talk to and called from time to time for about eighteen months. I often wondered how much that guy owed. Then all of a sudden the calls stopped. I guess they finally caught up with him.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 2:46:45 PM
The following is from an FAQ at http://www.privacyrights.org/

2. A debt collector keeps calling for someone I do not know. How can I make them stop calling?

Write to the debt collector. Send your letter certified, return receipt requested. For an example of what to say, see these sample letters, www.privacyrights.org/Letters/letters.htm#Debt:

•if you are the alleged debtor and want to cease calls to you, see Sample Letter 4
•if the debt is someone else's and a collector is contacting you about it, see Sample Letter 6.

Sample Letter 6 is here:
http://www.privacyrights.org/Letters/debt6.htm
 Revilors
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:01:57 PM
All good suggestions.

Have you tried talking to your cell company. I know mine let me change it once for no charge. If I were to change it again...it's only 25 bucks and only if I change the prefix and/or area code. And...if you explain...they may accommodate you. They did...after all...stick you with this.

I would make sure that when you get these calls that you make it clear (as Alooo said) they are not to call and at the same time request their company information. I would actually ask to be transferred to a supervisor. They are likely to be more concerned about the repercussions of their continued badgering. It might just go away.
 justnancy
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/6/2010 8:26:44 AM
^^^^ for a dum blond, that sure did sound smart!
 qnd
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/6/2010 9:24:31 PM
I was getting these for a few months, and the "tell them not to call again, that's not your name" approach simply doesn't work. You have play the game on their level: WASTE THEIR TIME. I'd tell them, "Not me, but wait a minute, somebody gave me a number to give you, it's in another room," set down the phone, go about my business in another part of the house, and then hang it up ten minutes later. When they call back again, give them a number after you visit:

humor hotlines (dot com) - try "annoying sound" and "outsource a friend to India"

or much better

my fake number (dot com) - at the bottom, you'll see the number for "mental institution"; that's a good one because it sounds serious for a while.

Getting into a shouting match on the phone with an experienced collection agency jerk does nothing but make you angry, so you don't have any choice but to turn it into entertainment. For me, it was both entertaining and successful to screw around with them.
 Got Trance
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:37:01 AM
It seems that people still do not understand that you HAVE to send a letter to the company that is calling you.

How can I stop a debt collector from contacting me?

If a collector contacts you about a debt, you may want to talk to them at least once to see if you can resolve the matter – even if you don’t think you owe the debt, can’t repay it immediately, or think that the collector is contacting you by mistake. If you decide after contacting the debt collector that you don’t want the collector to contact you again, tell the collector – in writing – to stop contacting you. Here’s how to do that:

Make a copy of your letter. Send the original by certified mail, and pay for a “return receipt” so you’ll be able to document what the collector received. Once the collector receives your letter, they may not contact you again, with two exceptions: a collector can contact you to tell you there will be no further contact or to let you know that they or the creditor intend to take a specific action, like filing a lawsuit. Sending such a letter to a debt collector you owe money to does not get rid of the debt, but it should stop the contact. The creditor or the debt collector still can sue you to collect the debt.

This information is from http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should I Change My Number?