Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The best thing you ever ate!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The best thing you ever ate!Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
not sure i can narrow it down to just one............but a few things do stand out...........a t-bone steak in the jordan supper club in montana in 1979.......a pizza in pine grove pa.....1983........blue crabs and clams.....both out of the water less than an hour before they were eaten....in deleware.....1997..........and of course......mom's pumpkin pie......every chance i've had since i was 9
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 3
The best thing you ever ate!
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:43:16 PM
King crab legs at a place in Chicgo. These had to be truely flown in fresh.

As far as I know they freeze king crab on the boat that's out for weeks at a time.

My best is probably something I ate when I had the munchies after smoking a doobie and of course I don't remember.
The combination venison and wild boar sausage with whole Hawaiian chili peppers stands out though.
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:02:57 PM
My ex-aunt-in-law's fried chicken. I don't know what she did but it was wonderful!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 11:05:46 PM
was on a first date with a man a long time ago ... it was one of those evenings where the weather was perfect ... we drove up the coast to Santa Barbara in his vintage Corvette convertible ... walked out onto the pier where there were people cooking crabs ... we bot a couple of the freshly steamed crabs ... they were dripping wet and wrapped in newspaper! he'd brot a loaf of crusty french bread, butter ... I'd brot silver goblets and a nice white wine ... we spread out our dinner tablecloth in the grass overlooking the sea ...

UNfortunately ... neither of us had any way to get INTO the cooked crabs ... so he took a tire iron and smashed the crabs, spewing crab juice all over both of us and my tablecloth!

I thot of that evening frequently thru our years of marriage ... best thing I ever ate ... that picnic!
 Kayara
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 5:31:26 AM
To be honest, I smoked a wee joint then ate Fallafel and couscous..best meal I can recall.
 TooShadows
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:00:08 AM
The evening I learned that rare steak was better than well done. I was going camping with friends,so I stopped at the grocery store. I found a steak that had just been marked down quite a bit,think it was a sirloin. It was pretty thick,close to an inch. I arrived late at the campground and my friends had a fire going,they were already eating. I put the steak over the fire to cook it. It was taking a while,and I was starving,so I gave in and ate it. It was probably done only a quarter inch on each side,and the center was just about blue rare. My friends were about getting sick watching me eat it(and sopping up the blood with a piece of rye bread),but it was the best tasting steak I'd ever eaten to that point. Now I always have my steak rare to medium rare.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/6/2010 11:19:31 AM

As far as I know they freeze king crab on the boat that's out for weeks at a time.

I think that this post is about what's the best thing you ate. Not how can you slam the choice of someone else on this thread. He is not making you eat the Crabs, so what do you care? Sheesh....

You can't get fresh king crab unless you're a fisherman on the crab boats. You can get fresh dungeness, blues, Samoan, soft shell.
I'm not slamming anyone, the OP knows that and I posted one of the best things I ate.
I like to know what I'm eating/fail to see the problem.
Play through.
 ~Azul Ojos~
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/6/2010 11:24:46 AM
Warm brie wrapped in puff pastry from the Wine Loft in Southlake TX. Served with a nice chardonnay... To die for!!!
 vbxtc
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 5:05:05 AM
First time I had duck confit and fois gras at a little cafe in Paris I remember thinking "is THAT what all the fuss is about"? OMG!

Trying snapper, wahoo and mahi mahi straight from the water in St. Croix...

The first time my grandmother let me try one of her beloved Temple oranges...

First ripe-from-the-tree mango...

Ribs from Kenny's Smokehouse.

The first batch of homemade Asian pear liqueuer I made. At this point it's about 12 years old, smooth as water, and still make me go "wow!". Only comes out of the cabinet on very special occasions.

The first time I had the raspberry/mango cheesecake at the Malibu Grill and the Chess pie at Texas de Brazil. On both occasions my fiance swears the look on my face said that I was having an intimate moment...
 texasbaby
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:36:40 AM
My Grandmother's chess when I was a kid.
Once, I kept begging for pie while she was doing holiday baking. Finally she plopped down a whole pie on the breakfast table, then handed me a fork and told me to hush and stop bothering her. Dang, did I make myself sick..

A beer flat heaped with boiled crawfish, corn and red potaotes, loaded with spices. Bought them from road-side stands in central Louisiana. Add a really cold beer or two and a pile of napkins,, perfect meal...

Fresh, homemade menudo and tortillas in New Mexico. Served at the end of a Mexican ball, to anyone still on their feet dancing. Great dancing and wonderful food!

tb
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:58:00 AM
While on vacation in CA, my friends and I went to a seafood restaurant on one of the beaches (don't remember which) for lunch. I had a fresh caught sea bass, grilled to perfection, between two buns, buttered and lightly toasted. That has got to be the best fish sammich I ever had because I still remember it even though it's been more than 20 years since it happened!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/7/2010 8:04:59 PM

king crab is caught and stored live on the boats, it is often flash frozen at the docks when they offload it, but not on the boats

Thanks. That's what I was expecting from the forum.
Knowledgeable reply in lieu of useless drivel.
I'll have four.

strollinbella
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/9/2010 4:35:17 PM
The best thin I ever ate was beer-battered pike done over an open fire by a man who ran a fly-in fishing camp up in Nakina, Ontario about 25 years ago. Absolutely mouth-watering and delicious!!
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/10/2010 3:30:12 AM
Wow I love King crab legs.. Where is that place in Chicago if I might ask?

These days am eating only raw at home.. So I guess my favorite thing to make or dessert is this

Chocolate Torte With Whipped Cashew Cream
By therawchef

Notes from therawchef
From Russell: If you do not have Irish Moss just substitute for the same amount of cashews.

For the base

1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup pecans
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon melted cacao butter
1 teaspoon agave
1 teaspoon lemon juice

- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until they bind.

- Press into a 9” springform cake pan and place in the fridge to set.

For the filling

1 cup Irish Moss paste*
1 cup cashews
1 1/2 cups cacao powder
3 cups grated or chopped cacao butter which has then been melted
1 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and pour on top of the base.

- Leave in the fridge to set.

*Irish Moss paste can be made by soaking 1 cup Irish Moss in water for 3 – 5 hours and rinsing THOROUGHLY until rinse water turns clear (there’ll be a lot of sand in the moss). Then blend the rinsed moss with 2 cups pure water in a Vita-Mix until completely smooth. Leave to set in the fridge if not using straight away.

Chef’s tip: Add 1 drop of peppermint essential oil to the filling mixture for a mint chocolate variation.

For the cream topping

1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons Irish Moss paste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Pinch salt
1 tablespoon macadamia oil (optional)

- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

- Serve with chocolate torte and fresh berries.

thecatsmeoww
 arwen52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:13:11 PM
In 1972 I was at a little Basque restaurant in San Francisco called the Hotel du Midi. It was around the back from a larger Basque restaurant. You went up a flight of stairs to a second floor apartment. It was associated with a cheap hotel that put up Basque shepherds who came into the city. When you walked in, there was a room to the side with a bunch of old Basque men singing songs. The main room had two rows of picnic type tables and benches. You took the next available seats on the benches and they brought out pickled pigs' feet, then a tureen of soup. The main course on Sunday way paella - saffron rice with chicken, mussels, shrimp, and sausage. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life. Decades later I asked my two friends if that really was as good an experience as I remembered or did my memory improve it a bit? They agreed it was one of the best meals ever and one produced and article he'd written at the time describing it.

I went back around 1985 but the place was gone.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 4:28:47 PM
Frankly..I've read all the other poster's comments..and tried to think of the one meal I've eaten in my life that was better than any other, and for the life of me..I can't quite single it out. Maybe it was the Roast Leg of Lamb my grandmother used to make for Christmas..or the turkey (0r goose) she cooked for Thanksgiving (which I got to share in the carving bits that just didn't quite make it to the platter :) )
Maybe it was the Cheesy tortilla wraps (they called them Chilitos) they used to make at this Mexican take out joint my roommate and I used to frequent in college. I still make them to this day..simply because they do exactly what you want something like that to do..comfort you and provide entertainment to your taste buds for just a few seconds.
Maybe it was the NY strip steak..with I'm thinking (and if I'm wrong I sincerely apologize..we'd been drinking for a while before I got there, LOL) assiago cheese melted over the top of it served in a restaurant called Z Tejas in Scottsdale Arizona. That might have had something to do with the lovely lady that agreed to accompany me to dinner that evening, "winks"....
But what I'm sure I don't remember is whatever I ate at the local McDonalds...the evening my brother died when I was 14 years old. My best friends and their father took me to supper..just to be there for me..and it was a gesture of friendship you never forget, even if the circumstances just plainly sucked.
Anyways...I'm certain I've had a lot of wonderful meals in my life...and will never begin to distinguish the best ones out of the lot. But I'm sure of one thing...It's the people you enjoy your meal with that makes it memorable.
God love everyone I've ever had the opportunity to share a meal with.
 daynadaze
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:21:02 PM
There use to be a little restaurant in Nevada, MO called Tee-Dee-Os, they made the best Swiss steak I've ever eaten.
 texasbaby
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:36:48 PM
Driving through the mountains of Oregon about 4 a.m. I ran across a little place that had the most awesome cinnamon rolls ever. I found it by following the smell of them baking.

tb
 Apollodorus
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/16/2010 5:31:04 PM
The best I have ever ate is crab pizza or crab cakes
 Dovelett
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2010 6:17:24 PM
Lobster -broiled or on the grill -not over done paprika lemon n butter sauce
Prime rib
Wasabi Crusted Salmon
King Crab From Costco's brought in fresh
Green beans-mushrooms-onions n few peas in a cognac sauce with cream
Anything from Pappadueax's
 MsMicki
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 3:56:52 PM
Fresh Scallops.......bacon wrapped and broiled....at a restaurant in Walnut Island, North Carolina....1987
I had only had them at Red Lobster before that.....and will never eat them again at Red Lobster!!

Steak Madagascar.........filet mignon smothered in crab meat and shrimp and a bernaise sauce, double stuffed baked potato and deep fried bisquits w/ honey at Marty's Pub, Indiana...
every chance I get!!
 cookie22222
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2010 11:14:07 AM
My now deceased fiancee cooked me some chilean sea bass on the grill for my birthday, that was about 10 years ago...he also had a "sandwich" he'd make, grilled eggplant, feta cheese, roma tomatoes, some olive oil and basil on a fresh (warm) bagette...of course, he had been to culinary school so he really could cook.

I think I need to get an eggplant...
 ratsorizzo
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/25/2010 11:48:14 AM
The best sourdough bread,a French place on Market Street by the Hyatt Regency hotel in San Francisco,eat it right there with nothing else.
My first Crem brulee(almost an out of body experience)
Halibut Au Gratin by my Grandma
The Mudd Pie after the ruthlessly hot chicken wings.
Could someone please post a recipe for Mudd Pie?
ratso
 matty_skoal
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/25/2010 4:10:05 PM
Ingredients:
1/4 lb. butter, 1 stick
2 (1 oz. each) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 eggs
3 tablespoons white corn syrup
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
9 inch graham cracker, chocolate or vanilla wafer pie shell
Preparation:
In a saucepan, heat butter and chocolate, stirring often, until melted and well blended. Beat eggs; stir in the corn syrup, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture to egg and sugar mixture, stirring well. Preheat oven to 350°. Pour filling into prepared pie shell. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until top is slightly crunchy and filling is set.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.
 justwant2no
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/30/2010 10:03:17 AM
Wow, great topic - and hard to pick one - but the ones that kept coming to mind as I read everyone else's:
Pate de fois gras at the Monte Carlo Living Room in Philadelphia - I'd ordered the chef's choice - 6 courses, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when he brought out the pate. . . then the dessert was creme brulee! Wow.
Fresh lobsters steamed over an open fire while camping in Cape Cod.
Oysters Rockefeller - Emeril Lagasse style - he flash fries the spinach (gives it this incredible nutty flavor), with a Pernot sauce - OMG
And dinner at the Marrakesh in Philadelphia - we ate with our fingers while lounging on the ottomans - it was sensual and delicious!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The best thing you ever ate!