Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The internet causes depression or does depression cause overuse of th      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strings6
Msg: 7
view profile
History
The internet causes depression or does depression cause overuse of the internet?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Every new technology brings it's own effects on society and some deal with it better that others...the internet is real life...it's here,it's real...it's a part of our modern reality...one thing that never changes is how quick people are to judge other people who do not prefer their company....you don't want to be around ME so there must be something wrong with YOU.
 happygal_28
Msg: 13
view profile
History
The internet causes depression or does depression cause overuse of the internet?
Posted: 3/7/2010 8:12:57 PM
@manicmelanie - finally a useful reply to an interesting question! OP's question would be an intersting psych study for sure! I dont think this is a silly forum post at all and some enlightened replies would be worth reading.

(and NO, I am not depressed and YES I occasionally use the net LOTS but as a former psych major I think this topic is really intriguing...)

@colt - please, please, please, learn to use the quote box - it's NOT easy I know, but your replies without it confuse the hell out of me in every forum you post in! And you do have some interesting comments!
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
The Internet causes depression or does depression cause overuse of the inter net?
Posted: 3/8/2010 10:43:16 AM
One has nothing to do with the other, just because some depressed people also use the Internet doesn't mean a thing. Some (most) 'studies' are nothing but biased BS piled high and deep. I don't know who you people are who have no life outside the Internet but I'm a hermit-type person and my real life is still smack-dab in my face everyday. Who comes up with this crap? It use to be TVs fault, before that it was the radio, now the Internet. Pop psychology is so asinine. Re-read the question and ask yourself, does this make any sense.
 WeAre1
Msg: 21
view profile
History
The internet causes depression or does depression cause overuse of the internet?
Posted: 3/11/2010 5:05:00 PM
For me, it's a matter of balance. When I'm here too long, I can feel my energy go down....
equally, that feeling when I first sign on and get a positive response gives me that lift....
just like an addiction's pull. And, like most drugs, withdrawal can be depressing....
but does it cause depression, or does depression cause me to keep signing in?
Hmm....sounds like the chicken and egg question.....but, again, I don't feel depressed when I sign on,
but I can feel depressed when I log off if I've been here too long (and I'm not a depressed person irl).
Really, I think it's all relative and personal to each person, so can't be generalized.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The internet causes depression or does depression cause overuse of the internet?