Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Making polenta in the oven      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 texasbaby
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Making polenta in the ovenPage 1 of 1    
Oven Polenta

4 cups water
1 cup course corn meal
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small bits
Combine all ingredients in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and stir well to mix. Place uncovered dish in the center of preheated 350 degree oven and bake 40 minutes. Remove and stir well, at this point add cheese or other desired ingredients and return to oven. Bake an additional 10 minutes, remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.

tb
 arwen52
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Making polenta in the oven
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:19:48 PM
You don't have to stir it as much as they tell you to but the texture is creamier if you do. All that stirring causes the surface of the polenta to break down. Have you ever made polenta? I don't think it's all that much work. It only takes half an hour or so. Stir for a few minutes, leave it for a few minutes, stir again. It's not that big a deal. I just wish I could find some cheese here like what I had in Italy. I had the best polenta, made like porridge, really cheesy, and I can't find a cheese here that's quite right. I've made some darn good polenta but nothing like what I want. Dang!

BTW, I find the microwave really good for reheating it.
 ItalianGalForU
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/21/2010 3:23:40 PM
does anyone have more polenta recipes, i grew up eating this with sauce and beans thats it. very boring bland foods.
 arwen52
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2010 9:42:57 PM
^^^^ I like stirring a lot of grated cheese into it at the end and making cheesy porridge polenta.

I have a recipe where you let it set, then slice it, lay the slices in a baking dish. Saute portabella mushrooms and make a bechamel sauce. put the mushrooms, then the sauce over the polenta, top with grated cheese, and bake it. It's deliscious. You can make it two layers deep.

You can slice it, lay in on a cookie sheet, top with tomato sauce and grated cheese and bake it.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Making polenta in the oven