Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > can a guy 30 or older get away with wearing a hat backwards?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 4
can a guy 30 or older get away with wearing a hat backwards?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Personally, no...

It's too old to look 'thuggish' and like a 'gangsta' if you include hand signals etc.
 SexyKG74
Msg: 5
view profile
History
can a guy 30 or older get away with wearing a hat backwards?
Posted: 3/7/2010 4:59:14 PM
Personally, I think it's very lowclass/ghetto for a guy (of any race) to drive down the street blasting music (of any kind) that's so loud that you feel the vibration...whether you're walking down the street or in your house. I live in NYC, and guys...especially many of the urban hiphop guys of all ages, tend to do this. They crave attention...perhaps it makes them feel more of a man?! When I'm walking down the street and this happens, I put an expressionless look on my face and I will continue walking down the street as if they don't even exist. I've actually had guys try to say something to me because they are shocked I'm not acknowledging their presence...silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! But they DO get attention from a "certain type" of woman...one I don't consider myself to be, so I guess whatever works for them.

I wasn't attracted to the urban brands/hiphop look when I was in my teens and 20s, and I'm not into it now. As far as the baseball hat on backwards, that depends. I once dated a guy who dressed preppy and sometimes he wore his hat backwards...then again, his pants were never falling off his behind, he's articulate/spoke standard english, so depending on the guy, I think that look translates differently...
 Helen0426
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/7/2010 8:22:33 PM
No, no, and no. But then I don't think the styles to which I believe you refer look good on anyone of any age (it's just even worse if you're older, is all). That "Pants on the Ground" guy is my hero!

In spite of Jennifer Aniston (who seems to be a lovely person, whom I think I would like, but who, IMO, cannot act), I adored Office Space, but I don't even remember the music. OTOH a good mash-up is a whole different story... but over-hyping the bass does nothing but detract from the music, and it's obnoxious to impose any kind of car music on innocent passersby.
 Helen0426
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:12:34 PM

No, we think they’re wanabees.

Heh. Missed this first time around. Remember the Offspring hit?

"The world loves wanna-bes, so, Hey! Hey! Do that brand new thing!"

"Pretty Fly for a White Guy," the whole point was, it's lame... and it's still a funny song today.
 213history
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/8/2010 6:22:40 AM
Nothing wrong with wearing a hat backwards when over 30..

I think the cool kids are wearing them forward, uncreased, and sometimes even without removing the stickers and price tag.

You might have a problem with hip-hop because its not your music of preference, but there are a few of us 30 somethings are part of the generation that watched the culture grow and transform. The same goes for the car culture.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:31:41 AM
I think wearing a hat on backwards alone doesn't say much. If you're dressed like a rebellious kid, whether you have your hat on front, side, or backwards, is a time to put that to rest after 30, ya know?

But throwing on a hat backwards alone -- if you're 30ish -- still matches your generation where that isn't crazy rebellious by any stretch. If I see a 60 year old man doing that, it'd be okay at say, a tailgate, or in the spirit of some sporting event... but if I see him walking thru on a Tuesday afternoon with one, it would raise an eyebrow, because he's not of a generation where that was mainstream -- hence -- gee, that's really odd.

Take "mom jeans". Those were normal, and women still wear them! Mostly older women... who wore them when they were in their 30s or even 20s. It just carried on.

Nice, somewhat stylish, well fitting jeans were a "too much" for 35 year old women. Rebellious a bit -- a woman who can't act her age! (or as some people assumed). But now, it's the norm for women who are 35 -- because their generation carried through stylish, well fitting jeans.

Hat on backwards? Again, what ELSE are you wearing? There's tons of guys around 30 who wear their hats on backwards... at a gym, for a jog, at a sports bar, the quickie-mart in casual wear...

Is there some appropriate rule at of a certain age, not your generation, that you have to wear your hat on front at all times, and women must wear mom-jeans? lol
 EvilLolli
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:46:21 AM
In my opinion, when a guy is thumping his system and dressing like a thug with the pants off the butt and throwing gang signs, it's a huge sign of immaturity. That was the style that was popular almost 20 yrs ago when I was in high school(and hasn't changed yet). In my age group now, it's just ridiculous. I take it as a sign if they are still trying to show off a "thug lifestyle" thru fashion that they haven't grown up in years. Basically their social/mental development stopped in high school.

It's not a hat only thing though, it has to be combined with the above said qualities to really seem ridiculous. If it's just a hat backwards, and the rest is "average". Eh, no big. But if it is combined with the rest? Yikes! It looks absurd when any gender tries to dress like teenagers and they are past a certain age.

As for it being a sign of the times/culture you grew up in? Bah! Most of the hip-hop/rap artists from back in the day have evolved their style/fashion, why haven't their fans?
 Just_Candice
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/8/2010 1:39:17 PM
Wearing the hat backwards? Only if you're a catcher and only during the game.
There's really no need. They make hats without the bill...buy one of those.

As for the music, I'm guilty of turning the volume up when a great song is on but not to the point where I'm disturbing those who aren't in my car. And it doesn't matter what genre of music anyone listens to. I listen to a bit of everything.
I just don't see the point of the base thumping, mirror vibrating, eardrum destroying, hear-the-car-before-you-see-it noise.
Why do they think that impresses people? And why do they feel they need to impress strangers?
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/8/2010 2:37:30 PM
Them hats are round so anyone, any age can wear them in 360 degrees, provided they are mechanically inclined enough to rotate it.

I know that most pofers here declare that they despise rap (they don't want to be thought of as punks), but I'm sure there is a good number among us of crypto-rap-lovers, and when they get together with their cronies they just let it all hang out.

It is as awkward as swearing off elevator music, and then as soon as you get in an elevator you start singing along.

7timesheaven
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 2:58:44 PM
I would tell the guy to grow up, and stop trying to emulate the young and brainless.

Idiots who wear their hat backwards are trying to exude the 'tough guy" image. I tend to give them less respect, automatically. And the morons who pump out that incredibly obnoxious rap garbage, at ridiculous volume? They are even bigger idiots than the baggy-panted, backward hatted retards.

Somehow, these clueless imbeciles seem to think that projecting all this pop-culture BS makes them into an "alpha male". They are totally oblivious to what people with an IQ above room temperature think about them. The only people who think of them as "cool", are other idiots.

Alpha male? More like Alpha douche.
 213history
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/8/2010 3:45:34 PM
Interesting, what about the people who are greasers, rock-a-billies, hippies, or stuck in the 80s?

There is no reason for a person to lose their style of preference once they reach a certain age.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:05:45 PM
Little hint from a guy who's a couple years past the half century mark - the older you get the more you can get away with whatever style suits you. I'm not a hat guy myself, except for a big floppy one when I'm spending a long time in the sun, but I've been known to wear socks with my birks on a cold day, and I don't care what angle you've got your hat. I'll judge you on who you are not how you look.

Now loud music is just plain rude, no matter the age. I feel the same about loud Harleys or other vehicles with inadequate exhaust systems. Come thumping by my homestead when I'm out in my floppy hat and birks and you may get a hand signal that predates any gang sign.

Dave
 EvilLolli
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:23:29 PM
I don't think it is the hat ALONE that is the issue, it's when the hat worn backward is accompanied by other attributes of the thug/gansta fashion thing that have the negative connotation. It also has to do w/ how a person carries themself as much as the attire they wear.

Hopefully as a person grows, matures and changes as a person, their sense of fashion/personal style evolves to fit that. When a person is obviously still locked 100% on the personal style they chose as a teen, one would wonder if that person has grown as an individual since high school. That's true for any "scene" out there. You don't have to give up your style because your older, but hopefully your style has matured as gracefully as you.
 Helen0426
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/9/2010 11:10:39 AM

With this knowledge, for guys in their thirties, it would be to our best interest to not ware hats when trying to approach women.
Is this safe to say?

Yes, unless you're a physical type that can really rock a fedora or some other style of hat that is not a garment originally intended for playing sports. Part of the problem with the baseball cap, aside from looking juvenile, is that it's just out of place no matter how you wear it, unless you're attending a game or playing one.

And even with other styles of hat, it's still a risky choice, as far too many men are unaware that the hat must come off when you go indoors.

Most are generally best off just skipping it. Bonus, if you don't wear a hat, you won't get "hat head."
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/9/2010 8:16:39 PM
...It really has nothing to do with race or age....it has everything to do with class!
 DallasSBF
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/10/2010 11:07:28 AM
This one is easy. No one can get away with wearing a hat backwards.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/10/2010 1:38:03 PM
I can see wearing a hat to shade your eyes...forward of course...but if the bill is in your way...why not just take it off? I think we should go back to when it was offensive to wear a hat INDOORS by men. Most guys REALLY wear hats to either cover the bald spot or the lack of a comb! A woman once told me that facial hair/hat/long hair if a surefire way to tell a guy is balding! Ever since then....I've noticed it to be true in most cases!
 Helen0426
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/10/2010 1:48:11 PM

I think we should go back to when it was offensive to wear a hat INDOORS by men.

There's nothing to go back to. That hasn't changed. Many are woefully unaware of it, but it's still the rule to remove it when you enter a place.

There are occasional exceptions. I expect to see cowboy hats at a hoe-down, which might or might not be indoors, and sports caps in places where people gather to watch the games, like a sports bar. And of course an ill or elderly person who gets cold and needs the extra warmth gets a pass. A yarmulke, or any other religious head covering, is always okay, whether in a context wherein it is required or not.

But these really are exceptions, literally. A man's supposed to doff his hat when he goes indoors.
 scottey63
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 5:42:39 PM
The question is...how can a guy get away with posting something like this on a dating site, when it has nothing to do with dating.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:38:05 PM
I really think we should be asking the HAT how IT feels about all this, shouldn't we?
 213history
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/10/2010 10:16:04 PM

I think we should go back to when it was offensive to wear a hat INDOORS by men.

There's nothing to go back to. That hasn't changed. Many are woefully unaware of it, but it's still the rule to remove it when you enter a place

For some this thread is a no brainer, but for clueless guys like myself I found this hat discussion very informative and went a got a hair cut
 flybuttersocial
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:39:42 AM
If you're an old looking 30 or older probably not, if you're a young looking 30 or older for sure. But either way who the hell is anyone to tell you what to do? If you wanna rock out a ball cap backwards for the love of God go for it. Who cares what other people think?
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/15/2010 4:16:25 PM
I think it looks silly at any age!
 Helen0426
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/16/2010 1:37:21 PM

And nothing feels better than a sunburn on my scalp as my hair thins the older I get.

As if there are no other options than a baseball cap, and backwards, at that? You can wear a nice hat not made specifically for sporting events, and that has a grown-up appearance, when outdoors and not at a sporting event. As has been pointed out earlier in the thread. There are many, many attractive styles available, for all weather.
 Helen0426
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/17/2010 1:39:45 PM
^^ I don't think any respondent would make the argument that it matters at all what a man wears to do something as casual - and sporting - as to go shooting, unless he does this at a club which has a dress code. In which case what anyone else thinks of his attire would still be irrelevant.

AFAIC if he's out practicing by himself, he's free to wear Tickle Me Elmo pajamas, flip-flops with socks, a fanny pack, and a tiara if he likes.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > can a guy 30 or older get away with wearing a hat backwards?