Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Think Laws Against Texting While Driving Are Necessary? Read This!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CMonster
Msg: 1
Think Laws Against Texting While Driving Are Necessary? Read This!Page 1 of 1    
I thought it couldn't get any worse than needing laws against texting-while-driving to keep people focused while on the road; boy was I wrong.

FHP: Driver lacked razor-sharp focus
BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff

alinhardt@keysnews.com

As authorities nationwide warn motorists of the dangers of driving while texting, Florida Keys law enforcement officers add a new caution: Don't try to shave your privates, either.

Florida Highway Patrol troopers say a two-vehicle crash Tuesday at Mile Marker 21 on Cudjoe Key was caused by a 37-year-old woman driver who was shaving her bikini area while her ex-husband took the wheel from the passenger seat.

"She said she was meeting her boyfriend in Key West and wanted to be ready for the visit," Trooper Gary Dunick said. "If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have believed it. About 10 years ago I stopped a guy in the exact same spot ... who had three or four syringes sticking out of his arm. It was just surreal and I thought, 'Nothing will ever beat this.' Well, this takes it."

If that weren't enough, Megan Mariah Barnes was not supposed to be driving and her 1995 Ford Thunderbird was not supposed to be on the road.

The day before the wreck, Barnes was convicted in an Upper Keys court of DUI with a prior and driving with a suspended license, said Monroe County Assistant State Attorney Colleen Dunne. Barnes was ordered to impound her car, and her driver's license was revoked for five years, after which time she must have a Breathalyzer ignition interlock device on any vehicle she drives, Dunne said. Barnes also was sentenced to nine months' probation.

Barnes and Charles Judy were southbound in her Thunderbird at 11 a.m. when they slammed into the back of a 2006 Chevrolet pickup driven by David Schoff of Palm Bay. His passengers were a man and two women; the latter were treated for minor injuries at Lower Keys Medical Center, FHP spokesman Alex Annunziato said.

Schoff had slowed to about 5 mph to make a turn when the Thunderbird hit him, traveling about 45 mph, which was within the speed limit, Dunick said.

Barnes allegedly drove another half-mile, then switched seats with Judy, who allegedly claimed to be driving, Annunziato said.

"She jumps in the back seat and he moves over," Dunick said. "It was like the old comedy bit, 'Who's on first?' "

Burns on Judy's chest from the passenger-side airbag deploying belied their story, Dunick said. The airbag in the steering wheel did not deploy, he said.

Troopers charged Barnes with driving with a revoked license, reckless driving, leaving the scene of a wreck with injuries and driving with no insurance. Judy was not charged.

Barnes faces a maximum of a year in jail if found guilty of violating her probation due to the wreck, Dunne said.

"My phone has been ringing off the hook all day, and I know there's a funny side to this, but it's also deadly serious. This is a scary road and a lot of bad wrecks are caused by dumb stuff like this," Dunick said. "It is unbelievable. I'm really starting to believe this stuff only happens in the Keys."
 Casper66
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Think Laws Against Texting While Driving Are Necessary? Read This!
Posted: 3/9/2010 12:03:16 PM
I would believe just about anything nowadays, every year they have a highway blitz for speeding on highway 401 a very busy stretch of road in Ontario, they caught people hanging out the windows to dry their hair, laptops balanced on the steering wheel while typing and driving with their knees, putting on makeup and numerous other OMG moments. It's not a wonder there isn't more accidents with these types of driving habits. The jail terms need to become much more severe in these cases, these type of people think they are invincible, but it's usually and innocent bystander that dies or is seriously injuried.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 1:34:38 PM
I wish more people would concentrate on the road, instead of trying to multi-task while driving. The number of drivers I see on the phone...

Some people I've known protest that talking on the phone whilst driving is just like talking to someone in the car... see, it's not dangerous.

Wrong.
Last year a teacher at my school was driving to school. She must have been only a few hundred yards up the road from the school gates (on a side road), when this guy in a big white van ploughed into her... because he was concentrating on a mobile phone conversation rather than on his driving. He walked away with barely a scratch. The teacher, on the other hand? She was airlifted to hospital, put in intensive care for a number of weeks, and suffered life-changing brain damage. Her vision is blurry so she can't even read or watch TV, and she hardly knows what's going on around her.She was one of the best science teachers we ever had, and now her quality of life is absolutely nothing compared to what it was... all because some idiot decided his phone conversation was more important than parking and ensuring the safety of himself and others on the road.

The worst thing is, it could all have very easily been avoided. How much does it take to, for example:
- get a passenger to use the phone instead of the driver (if one has passengers)
- park the car/vehicle and make a call if it's that important
- ignore the phone/let it go to voicemail etc for the moment?
Grrrr.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 7:49:48 PM

I'm stunned. I can't believe the ex-husband let her actually leave the house before shaving her legs.

Well at least the ex was trying to be helpful in the situation. Except it wasn't her legs she was trying to shave.
 mark4prez08
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/10/2010 4:40:50 AM
cell phone use should be banned while driving regardless hands free or not. i was almost killed when a woman ran a light and hit me because she was playing on her phone and a poster here thinks this law is stupid??????
 CMonster
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/10/2010 7:24:29 AM
It seems like his point was that texting is not the only distraction on the road (as evidenced by the ... ummm... shaving... that this thread is about.)

Glad that you pointed that out for our friend; it is kinda hard to miss that little point. Which brings the other strange things such as:

- she was going to see her boyfriend and bringing along her ex (why? )
- apparently she needed both hands for shaving her naughty bits (insert your own joke here)
- her ex (who was controlling the steering) was distracted from seeing the truck ahead which slowed down considerably (wonder why )
- Wouldn't it have been easier if the ex drove or was his license revoked the day before too?
- It could have been worse, she could have tried to give herself a Brazilian!!!
 CMonster
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/10/2010 9:42:35 AM

big surprise, how f***ing expensive is it to get a damn earpiece?

Personally, I'd like to see how someone could shave themselves down there with an earpiece while driving, not to mention if they were trying to send a text at the same time.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Think Laws Against Texting While Driving Are Necessary? Read This!