Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Mexican Coca Cola      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Mexican Coca ColaPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I heard that Coca Cola that is made in Mexico is superior to what we have in the United States because it is made with sugar and not high frutose corn syrup. I also heard it is pretty hard to find here. Luckily here in the Detroit area there is a section called Mexicantown that has all kinds of Mexican restaurants and shops where I found some imported Coke. It did seem to have a cleaner taste than our Coke. The thing I really noticed was that where U.S. Coke kind of gives you a little "burn" in the mouth, the Mexican coke did not. Anyone else tried this?
 m14shooter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/10/2010 11:11:28 PM
I buy soda with cane sugar when I can find it. I just snagged 40 cases of Pepsi with cane sugar and I order dublin Dr Pepper from Texas all the time. Corn Syrup should be banned in this country, I would gladly pay more for soda with sugar in it.
 m14shooter
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/10/2010 11:55:46 PM
Think the Pepsi Throwback was just for a jewish holiday.
 m14shooter
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/11/2010 2:31:11 PM

doesn't matter, neither is healthy.....both can destroy the tooth enamel....and calories are calories, a high sugar load can spike up insulin levels thru the roof...........if you like the sweet taste, diet soda is way better for your body.

Aspartame is such wonderful stuff that there are several countries where it is banned. I will not touch anything with splenda or nutrasweet in it.
 RDtoo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/11/2010 10:35:06 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who knows about the Mexican coke. I told some people about it and they looked at me like I was crazy. I bought a premium cola at Whole Foods made by a company called Virgil's. They claimed that they went back to turn of the century (19th century) formulas. It was as good or better than the Mexican Coke, but it was kind of expensive.
 cookie22222
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/12/2010 6:10:55 AM
LOL ^^^^^

That reminds me of someone I work with who bought some "sugar free" candy, I think it may have been Hershey miniatures...ate the whole bag and got diarrhea...THEN read the bag which warned that could happen and don't eat more than a piece or two - also sorbitol!

The Pepsi Throwback, and Mountain Dew was out here (PA) for a while, I want to say end of last summer - showed back up again recently. I don't drink that stuff, but a friend said it definitely tastes better.
 RDtoo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/12/2010 10:11:34 PM
hyold, the coke that I bought in Detroit at a Mexican business had an import label and said "bottled in Mexico". There is quite a Mexican community in Detroit and even grocery stores in the suburbs carry Mexican made products. I have no doubts that the Coke I drank came from Mexico. What puzzles me is that you say the Mexican Coke had more of a burn when I found the opposite to be true.
 Pyro74
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/12/2010 10:29:52 PM
I love the Mexican coke in the tall skinny bottles. It is smoother and does taste better.(I think the glass bottle helps) There is a little Taqueria near my house that has them. Two authentic carne asada tacos and a Mexican coke. Life is good.
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 10
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/14/2010 8:08:32 AM
Ha, I didn't become overweight until I started drinking diet sodas, because you know they cancel out that cheeseburger and large fries. I've tried a couple of the "throwback" colas and they did taste better and were more satisfying, probably because of the real sugar. I drink mostly water, but do enjoy a daily glass or two of soda. I think as long as you don't overdo anything that it's alright to imbibe. People are living longer than ever. Maybe the preservatives in food is doing it. Who knows? I don't know.
 daynadaze
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/14/2010 11:12:21 AM
I wondered why Walmart had all those single bottles of Coke on the shelf. So I just drank one, meh, I don't get the hype. Besides, I rather doubt my body knows real sugar from real corn syrup and who am I to boycott corn syrup and knock all those farmers off welfare.
 RDtoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/14/2010 11:10:48 PM
Maybe if you watched the film "Food, Inc." it might change your mind about high frutose corn syrup as being natural and harmless.
 Singleinlewistonidaho
Msg: 13
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/15/2010 6:04:19 PM
Same thing in most of Europe. HFCS is banned and Coke in Germany has real suger in it.

Mike
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:26:58 PM
I've seen Food, Inc.], interesting but I don't see one side being any more honest than the other side, plus I lived in Iowa for years, I know that there's some form of corn in everything, because the government subsidises all these farmers and corn is king in IA.

Besides I didn't say anything was harmless, I said there isn't a whole big difference between downing a can of sugar or a can of corn syrup, anything in overkill can be bad for you.
 FL CO
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/16/2010 7:13:58 PM
The best thing to do is to stop drinking sodas. They're not good for you regardless of who made them
 RDtoo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/16/2010 9:30:11 PM
I don't know whats wrong with young people today. They don't drink soda pop, they don't smoke, they don't eat fatty foods. Where did we go wrong?
 FL CO
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/17/2010 9:17:14 AM
Maybe because we realize that the stuff isn't good for you. I use to drink soda's and still do on a rare occassion (a few times a year). I'll have the rare cigar to celebrate something and every now and then, just because. Now fatty foods on the other hand I'll eat. I love bacon, pasta, ice cream, etc. I'm hoping to go hog hunting within the next month and if all goes well I'll have about a 100lbs of hog meat in the freezer.
 RDtoo
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/17/2010 10:52:46 PM
Mexican ice cream?? I am intrigued. How does it differ from ours? I did have Mexican Hot Chocolate which was pretty yummy. I have also had Fillipino ice cream which was pretty darn good. They had some odd flavors like Mango and Jackfruit. That was good stuff. I am always looking for unusual or new tasty things.
 FL CO
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/18/2010 7:45:13 AM
^^^Very true. I never started up smoking because I wasn't tryin to "be cool" and because I use to do a lot of bike riding. 200+miles a week when I wasn't training for something. Smoking would make it much harder for me to do that as easily as I did. I'l have to disagree on you looking 10 years younger though. I guessed late 30s -early 40s for you.
 RDtoo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/21/2010 12:45:58 AM
Unpaidsage, I remember that Pepsi commerical well with the archaeologists and his students digging up a coke bottle and not knowing what it was. The thing that really hit home with that commerical is that it was released right after Coke changed their formula and everyone protested. I read a book once wrote by the Pepsi CEO and his take on the Coke formula change. He wrote that Pepsi had a formula that tasted identical to old Coke and they were preparing to release it under the name "Savannah Cola". He believed that if they could have got this into the stores before Coke switched back, Coke would have lost a big portion of their market share.

At any rate, I really do not buy that Mexican Coke has cocaine in it.
 RDtoo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/21/2010 11:44:50 PM
It is true that Coca-cola had cocaine in it at one time, but it was a very miniscule amount, and this was around 1890. According to Snopes it was actually no big deal as cocaine was perscribed for a variety of ills at the time. If I am not mistaken coca-cola was first marketed as a medicinal tonic that cured "brain fag". I guess cocaine would definetly helped that!
 Rythmn
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/22/2010 3:24:53 AM
my kids are half peruvian and introduced me to inca cola. it's addictive!!! they make a similar orange/cola type soda in scotland. but forgot the name of it.
 RDtoo
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/22/2010 9:20:41 PM
Alright where can I get some of this Inca cola?

I remember many moons ago hearing someone rave about a soda pop from North Carolina called "Cheerwine". I happened to find a bottle when visiting Gatlinburg. It was good. Kind of like a fruity Dr. Pepper. We have a similar drink here in Detroit made by Faygo. It's called "Rock and Rye".

I have always wanted to try "Moxie" which supposedly was Cokes main rival in the 1920s. It apparently has a strong taste and maybe why it fell out of the public favor. I didn't even know they still made it until a few years ago, when I found out it was real popular in Maine. Maybe I will order some over the net one of these days.
 RDtoo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/23/2010 10:42:06 PM
Here in the Detroit area, Vernor's Ginger Ale still has lots of fans. I guess it is more like a ginger beer than a ginger ale. It was created here in Detroit and actually pre-dates Coca-cola.

I don't remember Pomac. Sorry I missed it. Once in a while I like a really good root beer. Usually an A&W, but I get them at the A&W place not the supermarket. Noticable difference. Even better is Birch Beer when I can find it.
 Rythmn
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/23/2010 11:27:22 PM
RDtoo, re inca cola:

here, we've ordered inca cola in peruvian restaurants, they stock it in some primarily mexican grocery stores and my friend's daughter serves it in her cuban restaurant. often, if they don't have it, they are willing to get it for us by the case. if you want to try it, google it. i will email my ex and ask him to remind me about the scottish soda that tasted similarly. i think it was something like "iron brew" and was a combo of fruity and coffee tasting. we used to fly that back from scotland by the box as well. but, later we found some in a british store.

i never heard of mexican cola, but will ask my girlfriend tomorrow when i see her.
 RDtoo
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Mexican Coca Cola
Posted: 3/24/2010 9:48:44 PM
Serenity, I already googled Inca Cola before I read your post. From what I gather it is not really a cola but has a strong pineapple base. Might be interesting to try. I think the Scottish drink you are thinking of is called something like "Irn Bru". I have heard of it but have never tryed it. Didn't Coke market a coke and coffee mix a couple of years back? Must not have sold very well.

Unpaidsage, I would believe anything about what China puts in products. They have marketed us so many toxic ones I have lost count.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Mexican Coca Cola