Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Switched at birth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 myblueshadow
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Switched at birthPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
How many parents would be upset if they found out they had brought the wrong baby home from the hospital. How would you feel? Would it matter? Would you want to switch back?

(Not sure why it needs to be long than that. It's a fairly straightforward question.)
 sarahhhhbethhhh
Msg: 2
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 11:19:40 AM
This might be suited in the off topic forum because this doesn't specifically pertain to single parents.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 11:24:26 AM
Heck yeah it would matter!
How would you feel if you took great care during pregnancy and came home with a baby who had severe FAS or a baby with other severe genetic defects? I'm a caring person, but I would be pissed!
I didn't spend 27hrs in extreme pain to raise someone else's baby...sorry
 bliss.stars
Msg: 4
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:03:35 PM
why would u even ask this?
 packagedealx3
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:45:33 PM
I tend to agree with Jenn, after a certain amount of time, you would want a relationship with your actual biological child but switching back, that'd be crazy. I think the best type of scenario for everyone involved would be to try to do some type of shared custody so that both of the families were raising both children.

But let's say you found this out when the child was like 2 or 3 instead of grown or nearly grown?

Mine fortunately or not, weren't switched, lol. Despite the fact that all three of them currently look quite different from each other, with the exception of weight and the bow on my daughter's heads, as infants they looked exactly alike.
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 6
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 1:08:43 PM

why would u even ask this?
To prove a point.... read the mandatory dna tests at birth thread, it'll make more sense.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 7
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 1:39:42 PM
I think it would make a lot of sense to some parents because their "real" child couldn't possibly behave "that" way LOl

I wouldn't switch back. I do know 100% he is mine because of the DNA test that was demanded by his father. So I can't ever be shocked at my son's behavior and say he isn't my kid because surely my "real" kid wouldn't do that LOl
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 8
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 2:29:55 PM

How many parents would be upset if they found out they had brought the wrong baby home from the hospital.

How would you feel?
Depends on time frame.
Are we talking 10 days or 10 years?

Would it matter?
Entirely depends on the future earning potential of the offspring.

Would you want to switch back?
See above.

(Not sure why it needs to be long than that. It's a fairly straightforward question.)

No actually it is rather vague.
 luckyhot777s
Msg: 9
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 6:06:42 PM
To be honest I would be better suited to answer this...if the problem actually came up....I'm sure I would want to know who my real biological child is....it might depend on the age too....

Thats about all I can say about it...
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/12/2010 10:09:18 PM
Well yeah, I'd be pretty damn upset, but my kids all had the intelligence to look exactly like their father, so easy for me to know them.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/13/2010 6:20:29 PM
My (ex) wife was fearful of a switch. I witnessed the births and made SURE we got ours when we left.
I think it would be absolutely horrifying to discover that I had in fact LOST MY CHILD the day it was born, or shortly after. I'm VERY glad I'll never have to decide what to do about such a thing.
As for DNA testing, I didn't see the other thread mentioned, but as someone who deals all day every day with procedures that have been created to TRY to prevent errors, I can say for sure that there is NO procedure they could come up with, short of 24 hour-a-day, 365 day-per-week combined human/machine monitoring system using only highly trained professionals, that could prevent mistakes. People are WAAAAY to good at screwing things up.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 12
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/13/2010 8:38:26 PM

How would you feel if you took great care during pregnancy and came home with a baby who had severe FAS or a baby with other severe genetic defects? I'm a caring person, but I would be pissed!

So if it was the other way around and your bio kid was the "defective" one and you ended up with the healthy one, would you be pleased at punch?

Here's one for all of you: imagine if you were breast feeding a baby and realized it wasn't yours! (It happened on last week's episode of "The Office" and it was hee-larious).
 SAguy_06
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/14/2010 3:56:39 AM
I guess it would matter if the parents were in a Mental Institution wether they cared or not, but I knida think even the MI couples would care if their child was switched at birth...May not if they were really messed up, then they would be so medicated that they wouldnt care if it were a child or rabbit...but for the Non MI couples I would say 7 out of 10 couples would care.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 14
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/14/2010 5:32:04 AM
I don't really know how a baby could be switched at birth. Not at the hospital I delivered at anyways. As soon as they handed him to me they put a bracelet on him with numbers and letters on it. They gave me a bracelet with identical numbers and letters on it. He wasn't out of my sight at all before they did this. When they would bring him from the nursery to me they always made sure our numbers matched. They did this each and every time before they would hand him to me. If they would not have matched they would not have given him to me. Even when a nurse came to take him to the nursery or even talk to me they had to know my numbers so I could know they were a real nurse and not a baby snatcher.
 barbee1970
Msg: 15
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/14/2010 10:54:04 AM
They put matching bracelets on Mom and baby, but it is up to the nurse in the maternity ward to pay attention.

Recently a woman's baby was switched at birth and she sued the hospital. I can't say I blame her(I don't).

We spend 9 months caring and carrying this baby and not all women take care of themselves while pregnant. Some drink, smoke. We don't know if something is medically wrong with the other baby.

Also with the wrong baby no one knows the true medical history.
 renoirs_dream
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Switched at birth
Posted: 3/20/2010 12:57:05 AM
That actually happened to me... I was born and for some reason I felt that I just didn't quite "fit in" with my other siblings. Then I ended up getting a job with the circus and found out what my special purpose was... I created the "Optigrab" while working for a mechanic ans someone went and destroyed all the CANS!!!

Oh wait... That wasn't me....

It really depends on the age of the child... I think that maybe a switch may happen, but the family may wish to keep in touch with each other.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Switched at birth