Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > New keyboards skip letters, wht's up wth tht?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FinkyIsMyName
Msg: 1
New keyboards skip letters, wht's up wth tht?Page 1 of 1    
All right, I've ha to turn in my old computer keyboard for a new one wit a port thingy connetion. (Youknow wht I mean.) I never had any prblems typing quickly wth any keyboards before, ad the ones at work are till fine, butI'm finding new ones are making me punch much harder or th skip ltters and spaces.

I'm spending more time going bck and fixing all the missed letters than I'm happy with.

Before you say, "get another keybord," this is the third new keyboard I've had and each had the sam problem.

I only fixed a couple of missing letters n this so you see what I mean.

Advice?
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
New keyboards skip letters, wht's up wth tht?
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:01:18 PM
If you have tried different keyboards have you tried different USB ports? Sometimes sharing resources with other devices slows them down. If you have other USB devices attached then also just for testing try unplugging them.

Cowboy
 FinkyIsMyName
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:10:16 PM
Thanks for the idea, I will try a different port. I didn't know that might affect it!
 FinkyIsMyName
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:14:04 PM
Testing new port testing new port testing new port

Well, it definitely seems better now! Thanks for the great advice.
 smartypants24
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:40:43 PM
If its cordless, it also might be the battery, or something in the way of the receiver blocking the signals back and forth
 FinkyIsMyName
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/12/2010 12:53:14 PM
Thanks, smartypants24, mine's a plug-in but I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts.
 DameWrite
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2010 10:35:43 PM
I have the same problm but I have a laptop. It didn't dthis before. Started acting up in Jan? It doesn't seem to register the keys I hit or the spacbar. Not all the time but I especially notice it when I'm on the computer a lot. I think it happens even more when I type in windows such as this or the messae center. Could it be heat? Updates? Thanks for allor any replies.
 DameWrite
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2010 11:31:41 PM
I just figured it out, Finally! It's the add on's. My computer was working fine, then started skipping letters too. (about Jan 10). I've a laptop. I diabled all new add on's and then restarted. The problem is now fixed. Go to tools, then manage add ons, then to show all ad on's, then individually click on the add on, then disable the add on. You can disable them all then put them back one by one to help you figure out which add on was causing the problem. If the problem happens again after you put the add on back on... you'll know what add on was causing the problem.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/15/2010 8:47:48 AM
^^^
It makes more sense to eliminate possible causes before making a decision on hard ware, for generally hardware is the last thing to fail.

If you are experiencing troubles with a keyboard you should first try typing in other applications, not just a browser.

Windows users can try Notepad, WordPad or any word-processing application.

I'd even try starting a Windows computer in Safe Mode to see if the hardware behaves properly then.
 whowhatme
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:33:39 AM
Trouble with keyboards can also be related to dirt, etc, under a key. Use an air can to blow it out. If I have problems with a certain key, as I have before, I just pop the key off and make sure nothing is under it, then pop it back on
 chrono1985
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/19/2010 6:29:06 PM
Sounds like you picked up a keyboard with a bad pressure response. It should get better with use, but that usually means it'll get louder with use as well.

Another idea is a trick I used to use with cheap keyboards, it's a temp fix that can be done as often as needed to loosen up the keys. Fill your sink with hot water, not so hot it's steaming, but just barely to the point where it feels hot to the touch. Pop all your keys off and drop them in, let them sit in the water until it cools down to room temperature. Take them out, dry them off (do not use any heat source or your melt them, a hand towel will be sufficient). That'll loosen the plastic in the key a bit, usually just enough to provide the boost in comfort, as well as clean out any dirty that's gotten rubbed into the bottom of the keys.

If you break down and buy a new keyboard due to it being to tough of a touch for ya, look for one with flat keys (similar to the keyboard on a laptop). Those are usually much more sensitive than deep keyboards.
 chrono1985
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/19/2010 6:55:46 PM
Almost forgot a couple essential things to check since it seems to be a problem for you. These are listed in order of easier to most difficult to perform.

In control panel -> keyboard. There are delay and reset settings, even though they are labeled as repeat they affect more than just repeated keystrokes. Adjusting these can yield improvements in majority case, the defaults are just set right for the average typist (which isn't very good by today's standards).

Perhaps if someone here knows how to adjust the USB polling rate of the keyboard they could explain that for you. I'm sorry that I can't as I only know it can be adjusted. Check your keyboard software if it has a Poll Rate or Poll Frequency adjustment somewhere, both my mouse and keyboard software do and it made an incredible difference. Just don't go maxing it out, adjust up a notch or two at a time until it feels right to you; it shouldn't hurt your system pushing it to high but it will take extra processing power to perform more polls, so a good idea is to not use more than what you need.
 FinkyIsMyName
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/19/2010 7:31:01 PM
Chrono1985, you are awesome! Thanks for all the good info and tips.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/23/2010 8:24:58 PM
It also may matter which USB port you're using. Some printers won't work if you plug them into a hub where they will work if you plug them directly into your computer.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > New keyboards skip letters, wht's up wth tht?