Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > * * 3rd Country Walk - Mam Tor, Castleton .... Easter Saturday 3rd A      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
* * 3rd Country Walk - Mam Tor, Castleton .... Easter Saturday 3rd April * * Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I've done this walk many times,(even done it on my bike.)
I can really recommend it, the views from the ridge are truly spectacular.
Hopefully me and Bodie will join you all for a fine day out in wonderful surroundings.
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 24
view profile
History
* * 3rd Country Walk - Mam Tor, Castleton .... Easter Saturday 3rd April * *
Posted: 3/16/2010 11:33:41 AM

JohnnyXXL has suggested we have a camping moment on one of our walks..

... ridge poles up on a saturday afternoon, campfire bbq that night, pub 5 yards away if desired, and walk round Fernilee and Errwood resevoirs the next day. Those who are tentless can assemble usual time next morning for the walk. maybe the end of May ? I know the campsite owner, and I know he charges a very small pitch fee. anyone interested in that ?

there seems to be some 'concern' about the word 'mountain' and what the altitude is up on the Tor - according to the enquiries Im getting in my emails. Well, it's only a baby mountain, you don't need spike shoes, guide ropes and carabiners, or sherpas or oxygen tanks.. but do expect it to be windy and breezy so pack waterproofs too.

I've been on one of the camping weekends with POF, to the Lakes.
It was great fun and a really good way to get to know everyone.

BTW, if anyone is concerned about the height issue on this walk, the summit
of Mam Tor is just a short distance from the road.
 therealwingnut
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2010 5:30:51 AM
Refreshments..there's a nice tea room on castle street(castleton)
Or for some thing a bit stronger try the peak tavern(op.bus station)
 george looney
Msg: 40
view profile
History
*Fabulous!
Posted: 3/28/2010 10:28:58 AM
I once again offer a lift and the only thing I ask for is for someone to pay my parking. Will be coming from Doncaster via the centre of Sheffield if anyone is needing transport.
 Leafy-Lane
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2010 4:31:48 AM
Hi,
I hope you all have a fab time!!! I'm sorry I wont' be able to join you afterall. Here'e hoping I can make the next one!

leafy
 george looney
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2010 12:41:02 PM
Its forecast possible snow for the weekend. Hope it stays off until Sunday if it does. Its the driving there thats the problem not the walk
 Leafy-Lane
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2010 10:17:57 AM
Hi Ferni-Lee,
No it's nothing serious - it is a conflict in my social calendar - it's a bit like buses - there's nothing for ages then 2 event come along at once! It's a friends 30th birthday and I had thought I could fit in both events, but being realistic I'd be struggling to get back in time for the 30th birthday party and I'd be toast if I didn't turn up! Apart from which it's a fancy dress and I've gone to a lot of trouble to pull together a She-ra outfit!
Have a great day and I will be there for the next walk!

Leafy
X
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > * * 3rd Country Walk - Mam Tor, Castleton .... Easter Saturday 3rd April * *