Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should I quit?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jack Mack
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Should I quit?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So I have had this job for a year.
I actually took it just as a filler type thing untila better job came along. Over the year I had become a little complacent in finding a better job.

During the time of this job, this underpaying job I might add, I have enjoyed the ups and dealt with the downs of the job. A new (small) department that will be growing within the year.

My problem with the job is actually with the manager, the other person in this dept.
She is forgetful, changes her mind often and as a result makes more work for me.
And twice now she has requested reports of me, of which I followed her request to the letter (and confirmed with her), only to find out she wanted something else and additional documents.

Additionally, again this is the second time I can remember, she is sure to remind me that the reports should have been printed earlier and that I am at fault.... and she does this in front of the very people she is making presentations of the reports to.

This, to me, is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional and should not be tolerated.
Although I know I know, I should be grateful to have a job at all! But at what point do you continue to put up with this and at what point do you leave the bad situation??

Am I overreacting in consideringly quitting? I have already in recent weeks/month submitted my resume for positions in hopes to finding a better job.

So what do you think? Am I nuts, or is there validity to this and I should get 'ta steppin!!
 SAguy_06
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:37:50 AM

So what do you think? Am I nuts, or is there validity to this and I should get 'ta steppin!!

I say get to steppin on your nuts, then come back and tell us that story, im sure it will far more interesting than your job...
 ToThySelf
Msg: 3
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:41:40 AM
My problem with the job is actually with the manager, the other person in this dept.
She is forgetful, changes her mind often and as a result makes more work for me.
And twice now she has requested reports of me, of which I followed her request to the letter (and confirmed with her), only to find out she wanted something else and additional documents.

How long is it taking you to get these reports - time is of the essence. One day late is old news.

Additionally, again this is the second time I can remember, she is sure to remind me that the reports should have been printed earlier and that I am at fault.... and she does this in front of the very people she is making presentations of the reports to.

Just as I suspected. How many times does she have to tell you? You know her schedule and you should be able to plan ahead.

This, to me, is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional and should not be tolerated.

She is probably telling you the same thing.

If you feel you are too good for the job then do her a favor and leave. To do less of a job because you are getting less IS UNPROFESSIONAL.

Although I know I know, I should be grateful to have a job at all! But at what point do you continue to put up with this and at what point do you leave the bad situation??

You have only been there a year - alot can change. I'm not sure why you are asking a bunch of strangers whether to quit a job we know nothing about. You're a big boy - you can make that decision. I haven't read 100% that it is all her.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 4
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:44:01 AM
Do you really have to ask this? The job doesn't pay well and it's making you kind of miserable. OF COURSE you should be seeking another job that makes you happier.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 5
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 10:47:12 AM
^^While I know the OP is looking for sympathy I also know what its like to work with these types. They take no blame - its always someone else's fault. If he mentioned one place that he was wrong then I would have compassion.
 cookie22222
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:00:12 AM
OK OP I'll bite...

Instead of the old trick of repeating instructions back to someone, to make sure you have it all right - how about EMAILING them all back to her - so when she says - yes that's right - you have it in writing. You can pull them out and prove she's the one in the wrong and take a victory lap around the building...
 gitty--UP
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:21:01 AM
Communicate your problems to her precisely and forward the same information onto her superiors. If this happens again, just walk away the next time.

Email idea is good before you communicate your problems to her and her superiors, get proof for the superiors.

The idea here is to keep your job, get her fired so you can move on in.
 Jack Mack
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:39:19 AM
"How long is it taking you to get these reports - time is of the essence. One day late is old news"
I get the exact reports she requested, and in a timely fashion. It is she who then adds to the list at the very last second and then acts like it's my fault the reports weren't ready from the get go.

"How many times does she have to tell you?"
Once, preferrably in advance

"To do less of a job because you are getting less IS UNPROFESSIONAL."
I have had the job for a year and have went above and beyond my pay grade, I assure you (I am actually conducting interviews to fill another positions within this small department, a position left by someone for the very reasons I cited)
 Jack Mack
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:44:08 AM
"If he mentioned one place that he was wrong...."

Well gosh, there are tons of examples.
Here is one:

This last October, as we were looking for a temp to fill a position for someone about to leave on maternity, she introduced the person totally professional, but then when it came to me, she introduced me as a second rate person in a derogatory manner.

Next example: Today, this very day.
The exact reports she requested were in her hand. She was presenting them and she determined she needed other reports and requested them of me, in front of the people she was presenting the reports, and said these needed to be done earlier and for her in advance and that it was my fault and I was in error.
She should have told me this one on one, not in front of a crowd of people!

The examples of disrespect are plenty.
The salary for this position is well below the national average and the benefits to this position, HAH.
The workload is huge, the applications used are antiquated and nonsensical and the reports are a laugh.
 Jack Mack
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:45:24 AM
"ake sure you have it all right - how about EMAILING them all back to her - so when she says - yes that's right - you have it in writing. You can pull them out and prove she's the one in the wrong and take a victory lap around the building..."

EXACTLY, which brings us to today. The instructions were clear, the requests for reports were solid. I did exactly, to the letter, what was requested. Yet it was wrong, not enough and I was in the wrong totally and without condition. WTF?!!
 Jack Mack
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:46:23 AM
Unfortunately, she has no superiors... well other than HR. And I have previous aired some grievances to them about this.... and so I shall again. But this time, I will get a final resolution where it wont happen again.
 maximusminimus
Msg: 12
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:54:26 AM
Look for your next and better job, while you keep doing a good job there. The decision to look is easy. You want better, so go get it. Then the decision to take the better job will be easy. Don't quit now. Just keep doing your job cheerfully.

To deal with irrational managers, speak as little as possible. Just find out what they want, and do it. If it can't be done, ask them for guidance. Lay out the impossible they want, ask them about that one thing you can't see how to do. Let them realize they have asked for the impossible. If they ask you to do something that goes against your principles or self-respect, say you can't do it because it goes against your principles or self respect. That leaves what is possible and that does not abuse you. Of that remainder, some you'll enjoy, some you won't. Test your ability to enjoy drudgery...you might get good at it and surprise yourself.

What you don't want to do is waste any time having a personality clash or comparing your company to how a company should be run. Personalities are beyond your control to change, so just learn to ignore and humor the bad ones. If you truly know how to better run a company, start one or apply as a manager or executive someplace where you can run one.

Think happy thoughts, look for a better job, and make up for your low wage by stealing as many office supplies as you can stuff in your pockets every day before heading home.
 Casper66
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 1:46:24 PM
I think most of us have met up with people like this in the workplace, covering yourself is really the only solution she will not change, so e-mail and have a record of all transactions with this person, it's the one great thing about e-mail it is date and time stamped, so no I didn't get it excuses. The last job I had was horrible, so while I was working I was sending out my resume, now I have a great job, good luck.
 quietjohn2
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 1:54:19 PM
You have a job you don't like, but haven't bothered to find a better job, even though you knew the job you took was a fill-in. Then you ask if you should leave. Do as you intended from the start - keep the job and put some energy into looking for the job you really want. Had you already been searching for the job you really wanted, this may not have been an issue.

In the meantime, redefine your current job as the paid whipping-boy for your boss. Subject to whatever indignity she wishes to shower upon you as you do your best to do whatever you were originally hired to do. A job doesn't necessarily come with a good/pleasant boss who appreciates your every effort.

You'll look far better in the long run doing the best you can for your boss without creating additional workplace tensions by adding the blame game to your duties. If your boss can barely cope at the moment, additional pressures are only going to make her performance worse, potentially impacting the overall performance of the company. That won't look good for either of you.

If you plan to use this company as a future reference, consider how they may describe you and your actions. Talk to HR about how you can contribute to improved performance rather than complaining about other employees. You're letting them know there is a problem while demonstrating a desire to solve it rather that just complain about it.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 15
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 2:06:07 PM
Why can't you talk to her in private and explain that there appears to be miscommunication. How can you both resolve the conflicts? Going to HR is going to put up a red flag should you have a real issue later on. They're not going to take your side if she is doing a good job. She's still there ... not on a "temporary" basis either.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 16
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 2:47:07 PM
First rule of business: get it in writing!

If your manager is allegedly disorganised and unprofessional, make sure you are organised and professional in your assigned tasks.

If she gives you a report to do, email her back confirming your understanding of the requirements and deadline. Do this also if she makes any adjustments to the requirements. You need to cover yourself and it also provides a clear frame of reference to keep you on-task.
 bluesandrock
Msg: 17
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 2:51:31 PM
I have dealt with a couple odd bosses like this in the past. You can do everything they ask picture perfect and on time and they still find a way to make it appear as you did something wrong. I have found that there is really no way to get through to them. I would take Alooo's advice. Start your hunt to find a new job.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 3:10:34 PM

First rule of business: get it in writing!

If your manager is allegedly disorganised and unprofessional, make sure you are organised and professional in your assigned tasks.

If she gives you a report to do, email her back confirming your understanding of the requirements and deadline. Do this also if she makes any adjustments to the requirements. You need to cover yourself and it also provides a clear frame of reference to keep you on-task

I agree completely ^^^. Even better, if there's a superior (and everyone reports to SOMEONE, unless they are the owner of the company) that you can cc on every email, do so. I've never had that problem with a superior before, OP, but with a sloppy coworker....I cc'd the boss on every correspondence she sent, and my replies as well.

Any emails coming from her, that also cc the client...reply to her and cc them as well.

Other than that, it's a he said/she said/your word against hers thing. Oh, and no, I wouldn't quit until I had something else solidly lined up. Good luck.
 whitetigeress
Msg: 19
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 3:16:32 PM
I have made a horrible mistake of quitting a job before finding a new one.
HORRIBLE MISTAKE which I am still suffering the repercussions of as I type. Never again would I be so foolhardy. I caution and ask you to not to either
Please secure employment before quitting.
Good luck
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 5:29:18 PM

You're frustrated because you're underpaid, overqualified and working for an unreasonable boss.

You "put up with this" as long as you can or until you find something better.

Keep sending resumes and applying for jobs. Have a positive attitude about it. Look EVERY day for new job opportunites. If there's a will, there's a way.

gitty--UP
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:03:11 PM
Just go for her job, get her fired, what goes goes
 pirateheaven
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/16/2010 12:18:10 AM
Don't quit without getting another job first.
 account deleted
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/16/2010 12:58:32 AM

she does this in front of the very people she is making presentations of the reports to.

I can understand how this can make you feel like your not doing a good enough job...with other people's critical eye's on you judging you...

Also I think you should keep your eyes open for a better job. Then when you find it quit this one. After all you might have worked towards some sort of seniority with this one after a year towards benefits if it is a company job you can work your way up even though it will be a slow process with your manager and stressful one. Maybe ask for a written reference from this job for your new job to progress on.

Often we don't think we aren't doing a good job when we are just doing fine and being over critical of ourselves
 readyfornow
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/16/2010 9:22:52 AM
It doesn't look like you have much of a future in your present job. But put your resume out and get another job first. One year isn't a really large career investment. While you're at it, keep a CYA file just in case your supervisor tries to fire you and avoid signing any writeups.
 gitty--UP
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Should I quit?
Posted: 3/17/2010 10:07:19 AM
Start taking supplies and everything you can, if you decide to leave.
Personally I would show evidence of her inability to do her job, get her fired, and if you dont get a promotion, just walk away, no notice no nothing. Walk away when there is something important to get done, say that you are working on it or that its done. Come the day of presentation, quit, just walk away.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should I quit?