Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has *Visualization* Worked For YOU???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 2
Has *Visualization* Worked For YOU???Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It works for sports, for sure. I've never tried it with relationships. How it works, I think, is it gives YOU the confidence to succeed--in essence, it makes success a "reality" because you've already SEEN it. It won't work if you don't have the TALENT to succeed, though. For instance, no matter how much I visualize it, I am NOT going to have a 36" vertical.
 happygal_28
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Has *Visualization* Worked For YOU???
Posted: 3/17/2010 6:47:51 PM
It absolutely works. The KEY is to visualize the end result without worrying HOW you are going to make it happen. You dont have to plan that part! We often stop ourselves in our tracks when we cant "figure out" how we're going to get there. Just start thinking about it and the baby steps will follow naturally.

Dont "wish" but envision what it is you want and the feelings you would be feeling when you have it. Dont dismiss that it could never happen before you even start because then you are just subconsciously pushing it away. Try to make it realistic. For example you are much more likely to experience success when visualizing "financial abundance" compared to "winning the lottery". Financial abundance doesnt (usually) happen all at once but a series of things in combination move you towards that direction (plus only you can know what abundance means to you). You can wish to win the lottery for your entire life and think you "need" millions to be abundant but do you really? And how many people just sit around waiting with a ticket in their wallet?

Check out Mike Dooley or google "totally unique thoughts". It's a very interesting topic and there are tons of people writing about it right now.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/19/2010 3:41:04 PM
This is an old and probably untrue story.
but applies.

A chaplain told a company of soldiers fixin to storm a hostile beach...to visualize Jesus leading them to victory and it would come true.
So they did and stormed ashore.

Half came back.
and of those, all said it had worked.

Of course no one could ask the other half who didn't return.

I include visualizations in my meditation and jogging. I visualize myself getting buffer as I jog. I visualize myself getting happier when I meditate. Makes both easier to do.
and I am getting buffer and happier.
Probably more due to the jogging and meditation than the visualizations.
But hey, I do whatever it takes to storm the beach....
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 11:43:13 PM
This is one of those ideas that has been around in one form or another forever.

Religious people call it "praying." People with a more materialistic approach to life prefer "visualization," but it's the same thing.
It's something that can be either good, or bad, or useless. It's great when it helps you focus your energy and activities on a goal you have, so that you achieve it more quickly and easily.
It's useless, when all you do is "daydream" about things, and put no effort into them at all. Plenty of things will happen on their own in one's life, so if you are visualizing, and something similar to it occurs, you could convince yourself that you "made it happen" through the visualization, but in my experience, that's a form of self-delusion. The skunk story above is a good example...where I live, there WILL be a nasty smelly dead skunk in your life on a fairly regular basis if you drive around at all. Now, if the person visualizing a skunk lived somewhere that HAD no skunks, and had one pop up, THAT might be intriguing.
It's bad, or even VERY bad when someone turns something into and obsession. Stalkers are people who are DEEPLY into "visualization" to the point where they delude themselves into believing that the person they desire is either being kept away from them by evil plotters, or are actually purposely taunting them. We've all seen VERY bad things result from this.
My own response to it all, is that though I am NOT religious at all, I DO pray. I would describe what I do as anything from "directed hoping," to "trying to push the river." I would love to be able to make magic happen, and like many folks here I think, finding love is one of the most magical things I can think of.
I am hostile to the folks who go about selling these concepts, because my direct impression of most of them, is that they are insincere snake-oil salesmen. They PREY upon others in need, and suck away monies those people can't afford to give to spend. They play the old game of saying "it works every time, but only if you REEEEEELY believe in it," thus blaming their VICTIMS, when their money goes for naught.
 Codeguru
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 2:58:39 AM
No. But that only means I'm not doing it right. Or that it's BS. Just depends on who you look to for answers instead of just doing it...

Codeguru
 arwen52
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2010 3:13:06 PM
When I'm about to walk into a social situation that I feel anxious about, I replace the fearful mental images with images of myself feeling confident. And when I begin to feel inadequate playing music, I visualize myself playing well.

I don't believe in new age malarky, but I do believe our attitude shapes our reality and getting clear about what we want, which we can do through visualizing it, will help us achieve our goals. However, I have friends who believe that visualizing money or the perfect partner or whatever will magically make it appear in their lives without any effort on their part. This is just wishful thinking.
 happygal_28
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2010 9:06:51 PM
Currently I am visualizing a forum link back on my main page.

Maybe if we all visualize together we can make it happen?

Sorry to be facetious about it ...but it could possibly work...
 Rythmn
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2010 1:24:26 AM
i use it a lot. however, i do not visualize the control of other people. i do, on the other hand put white light around individuals, myself included, and the particular situation that is in disarray. i used that technique in business a lot, plus other techniques taught by the original jose silva-- before all the new age hocus pocus and materialism started selling books.

when i do visualize, i then ask my Higher Power for the greatest good. for example, i may visualize and then ask for a particular scenario or evolution of a relationship--but clarify "only" if it is the best for all involved. i then ask to manifest that which "is" the best.

i am only one small person with various hidden agendas which i own honestly. however, i trust that the universal agenda is of a higher quality. so, i trust it. sometimes the juggler has yet to add the other balls to what is being thrown, which will eventually sort itself into something greater. my time is not the universe's time. for someone more religious, s/he may say in G-d's speed, not mine.

i also ask questions...the oddest questions...and within hours to days, i get the answers in print, on tv, via someone telling me something that totally answers my question or points me to the proper source. THAT is so bizarre. however, i never ask to manipulate. more to show me or clarify something that confuses me.

so, if you are planning to manifest a second tv or material object for no other higher reason than owning it, i'd say this is a missappropriation of funds! although i guess it would stimulate the economy.......
 happygal_28
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2010 10:21:39 AM
skips a beat - my earliest visualization (before I even heard about the concept) was naming myself happygal! At the time I was miserable but I figured if I had to see a username every time I logged in here it better be something positive or I was never going to meet anyone LOL! I wasn't visualizing (or even wanting) any other outcome than enjoying some chat and maybe a few coffees. And then totally unexpectedly, I found the fishy who I have now been with for 4 years and married last spring. Amazing!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has *Visualization* Worked For YOU???