Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do guys look and not even say hello?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why do guys look and not even say hello? Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Why do you look, and not talk to THEM?
 gtomustang
Msg: 6
Why do guys look and not even say hello?
Posted: 3/19/2010 5:18:50 AM
It sure isn't you, OP. Too bad you didn't live much, much closer, yeeeeow.

Its the guys. They are intimidated by a hot woman, especially one who's waiting on them to make a master move. Orrr....have you considered, these men are using your friends to hope to get to you instead?

Either way, watch your friends, see how they present themselves. Maybe you'll see what you do different, and maybe that's the problem?
 ~rain~
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 6:11:20 AM
If you were "old school" You wouldnt be using the term.."Chatted up"

Perhaps they look..but arent intrested!!

or is that reply to obvious????
 TheReason_
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 6:33:36 AM
I used to see it all the time. The hottest girl in the bar would be with her friends, alone, never asked to dance, or chatted up, because everyone was intimidated. I used to ask them to dance, or chat them il, and spend the whole evenin having a good time. It used to piss off my one buddy, because I'd never bother getting their number.

They were usually around anyway. You just need more guys with confidence. But I was pretty**** back in the day.

Not like now.

muwahaha
 CMonster
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/19/2010 7:28:34 AM

Why don't YOU look back, say hello and mention that scary mole---could be the perfect ice breaker?

And don't forget to smile, sometimes that's all it takes to invite a guy's attention.
 krookie
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/19/2010 8:24:30 AM
You've heard all the correct answers. Perhaps intimidated. Perhaps think you're already taken.

I think it's more likely you, simply because of one telling statement in your profile... "Don't judge this book by it's cover". This would seem to indicate that you have some insecurity dealing with your looks. Could be either way. Could be you think that you don't get enough men talking to you or contacting you because you are very attractive. Or, it could be you don't feel men talk to you or contact you because of some perceived flaw in your looks.

Either way, I'm betting that you are the one giving off the negative vibe and this is the most likely reason that you don't get "chatted up". It's up to you to change this. It's up to you to "make yourself available" or, heaven forbid, acutally go up and talk to someone instead of waiting at the barstool. Being "old school" is simply your way of not having to deal with rejection. Get over it and get out there!
 dondea
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 8:42:14 AM
OP: Big question...Do you know how to flirt? I bet your GFs are doing it. Watch them before they start getting chatted up. Like other posters said, you might appear not interested or aloof.

Smile at a guy you think you might like want to talk with. Before doing this, add a 2-3 second stare at his eyes then smile then avert your eyes for a second, look at him again and smile again. If the fish (guy) ain't hooked by then, he's just not interested in you.

As beautiful as you are, I think you'll find plenty of fish to chat up with you.

Good Luck!

packagedealx3
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 10:08:57 AM

So you might be giving off the unapproachable look.

I was thinking along the same lines.

I had a strange employment history, first job was in an office so I was 19 or 20 when I wound up getting a second job and I was intimidated about working with the cash register and pretty much because I was out of my milieu, period. One of the gals I worked with told me she thought I was an uber b!tch when I first started. I realized that I had adopted that little coat of armor we learn to wear as a child when faced with a new, potentially embarrassing situation. Act like you know what you are doing, etc.

That air of confidence can be misconstrued, so stop and consider whether your slight discomfort in certain settings might be producing in you a reaction that makes you seem unapproachable to others.

As far as the guys looking and not writing, they may not be interested or they may be tired of being shot down, hope you see them and write to them.
 wacowboy3
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/19/2010 10:14:45 AM
OP: Do you ever smile when a man looks at you? If so , do you do it again and again ? Most of us guys have had women smile at us and when we approached them to strike up a conversation , we find that we were mistaken, all the smile was ,it turns out most times was being kind. Men get tired of being rejected , and more times that not when we get up the courage to approach you, it's turns into one more rejection. We are so used to rejection, that lots of times we miss the signals that you are intrested. We are so used to being rejected that when we do recieve a come on we dont recognize it . How about a smile and a wave, or nod your head an smile .
 alimma
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/19/2010 11:12:23 AM
If you like a guy, why don't you initiate the conversation yourself? Or is that too un-lady like for you?
 smsweendoggy
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/20/2010 10:29:04 AM
Must be that scary mole or perhaps you have a bat in the cave and they're afraid to tell you,lol. Or it could be that your drop dead gorgeous and they cant handle rejection. Dont worry im sure you'll eventually find a guy to talk to,wink.
 m14shooter
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 5:08:02 PM
For the same reason I let the door close in their faces now, half the time they take it the wrong way and think we are insulting them by speaking to them.
 Sleeps_with_the_fishes
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/21/2010 12:30:45 AM
lol no, none of that. Knowing me I would react the same way.
Luckily I am more open online than I am in person, so I know that the reason for this (or my reason) is that you're really beautiful! And sometimes it's hard for guys to know exactly what to say to a woman who can simply intimidate any guy with her beauty.
I've worked up the nerve to compliment women many times, and usually I get replies back such as "I know." or... "I don't take compliments well just cause I hear it all the time".
So I usually end up regretting situations like that, and try to avoid them by keeping my mouth shut.
It isn't anything personal. Every guy wants to say the right thing, but we don't have a clue what you wanna hear.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2010 10:24:33 AM
If people ain't comin' to the ballpark, how ya gonna stop `em?

The OP clearly needs some women's magazine crap such as this: "How to Get a Guy to Hit on You" (http://www.bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/a/How-to-Get-a-Guy-to-Hit-on-You.html)

In line with what MrSoloLobo said, I'm sure most guys never had any clue they were obligated to say hello to some woman just because they looked at her.
 pathwalker49
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2010 1:17:54 PM
Can't say as I don't know you but maybe you are a little too "cheeky?"..........
Guys are like women in some ways. We know when a woman is open for attention, (or as you say for men...which ones are on the make,desperate, etc) maybe you just need to change the way you look back so you don't intimitade them, or look too standoffish? A smile works a lot better than a glare. Seems obvious that your girlfriends look a lot more approachable for some reason. Body language speaks louder than words.
 mcbobly
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2010 5:35:08 PM
OK, OP I know I might get shyte for this, but perhaps the problem is that many of these guys feel you are out of their league. Yes, there is where I am gonna hear the crap, like in "there is no such thing as leagues" well BS, there are and everyone knows it. Maybe the guys you are talking about find you so attractive that they don't feel you'd be willing to give them the time of day much less a casual conversation. Happens to me often, so I'd say if you see one in particular that has caught your eye then simply send him a drink or a casual nod of the head might be a great nonverbal ice breaker. Good luck with it.
 ajfedz
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/21/2010 5:55:22 PM

Curious as to why guys look and then don't do anything about it. Even on night's out with my friend's they get chatted up and yet guys seem to just look at me. I am old school and prefer to be chatted up. Maybe I have halitosis or is it my scary mole?

My guess is that they think you are attractive and you will probably only reject them...
 ajfedz
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/21/2010 6:02:25 PM

WARNING: Any individuals, organizations, agencies, companies, or institutions using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, advertising, sales, marketing, or any other reason - you DO NOT have permission to use any portion of my profile in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and legal rights, and will be subject to all applicable legal ramifications.

My body, on the other hand is completely free of such restrictions---use as you prefer, at your convenience!

Get rid of this on your profile immediately... This is a turn off for me - and this could be your problem... Never saw legal notification on a personal ad!
 LG2727
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2010 6:19:31 PM
I tend to have this problem sometimes too. I am told I don't look approachable? I smile, I talk, although I do not grab at everything that walks by like some women, I don't know what else to do? perhaps a cartwheel?
 cw35
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 6:30:54 AM
Your looks are probably a bit intimidating or you have an unapproachable air about you. I'm better now but I usually look VERY unapproachable (have been told a lot) and angry when I'm really not (usually). I used to be on the defensive with women a lot when I was younger and would usually tell them off if they approached me because I just assumed they were pulling a prank, pretending to be interested. I used to see women doing that a lot when I was out just to humiliate guys so I was a bit paranoid at the time. I usually just have a stunned look when approached now. lol
 AnarchoCapitalist
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/22/2010 6:53:06 AM
OP, your post seems like BS to me. EVERY bar I've ever gone to - EVERY good looking girl has guys hanging around. I think you're just whining that its not the ones you want.
 ra718
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 12:40:35 PM
I like this guys post and I totally agree
 OutMind
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/22/2010 2:53:38 PM
OP, I am going to be very blunt with you. I may be one of those that would look at your profile and since there is simply nothing there in terms of what your personality is about, no angle about what your likes and dislikes may be, or what are you passionate about, that I would simply would not send a message. So perhaps put more substance in your profile. Looks alone would not do it for me. So is click to the next one.
 AnarchoCapitalist
Msg: 100
Posted: 3/22/2010 7:52:10 PM
There's also the fact that more and more men are avoiding certain types of women altogether: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPWrcOF1qS0
 pathwalker49
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2010 4:06:28 PM
Sounds old school to me red vine80. the story hasn't changed since way before I was born. Why do young people always think they are somehow unique from other people until they get old enough to see that nothing is new after all?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do guys look and not even say hello?