Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bathroom etiquette      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 myblueshadow
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquettePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Just curious about people's opinions on this.

The office that I work in has a bathroom with one stall and one sink. The sink is outside of the stall, so they are separated by the stall wall. The bathroom is fairly small. If someone is in their washing their hands, or whatever using the sink, would you go into the stall to use the bathroom?

I hope I explained that well.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 2
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 12:24:59 PM
if it's that small of a bathroom I don't think I would. I think I'd feel too weird. Are there separate bathrooms for males and females or just the one? I definitely wouldn't if a guy was in the bathroom.
 myblueshadow
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 12:39:36 PM
It's a female only bathroom.
 SoftAndHappy
Msg: 4
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 1:10:03 PM
Depends on how badly I had to go.

Since the stall is a stall and it's not just one big room, the implication is that you can go to use the stall while someone is using the sink. I'd probably wait it out anyways - depending on how well I knew the other person, what they were doing, etc... but yeah, it's totally within your 'rights' to use it. It's not weird... that's why the built the stall wall.
 Alli_oop
Msg: 5
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 1:25:45 PM
I wish stalls were a little more private. It seems like the gap between the door bottom and floor is getting higher and higher and the gaps between the frames and door is getting wider.
However, at least it makes it easier to tell someone is in there so you don't accidentally open the door on them...because you know how some people still haven't mastered that complex locking mechanism. So embarrassing.
 imalitltpot
Msg: 6
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 1:43:56 PM
Can you put a lock on the outside door so the whole bathroom experience is private?

It wouldn't really bother me. By the time I'm washing my hands, I'm gonna be outta there in less than 30 seconds.

But I also wouldn't mind waiting for those 30 seconds out in the hall.
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 7
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 4:07:50 PM
As long as you gave a courtesy flush.....
 daynadaze
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 4:11:37 PM
It would depend on how badly I had to go, what I had to do and how long the other person was taking. Also some of my co-workers would be people I felt bathroom-comfortable with while some I wouldn't.
 Got Trance
Msg: 9
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 4:38:20 PM
Does the door to the bathroom have a lock?
 111Enigma
Msg: 10
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 5:30:09 PM
OP: Since it's only one stall I would, like someone else suggested, lock the door of the bathroom.

I try my best not to use the bathroom at work when someone is in there.
I'm a bit weird that way. Don't like to have people hearing me and I'm not interested in hearing other people doing their business either...

And I'm only talking about number one here! (keep the other stuff at home or when I'm sure to have complete privacy...)
So, my technique is~ go, wash hands and run out quickly.
I'm also lucky to have several options of washrooms to choose from on several floors.

I can't believe I just wrote a post about my 'Bathroom Manners'...What have I done?

P.A.
***Lucky the site no longer shows the links of your recent postings to the Forums on your profile.
 yna6
Msg: 11
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 5:36:02 PM
Seeing as how it is supposed to work with two people, offering some bit of privacy, there is no reason to not use the toilet section while someone else washes their hands.
Those who can't handle that small social interation can darned well wait.
 maximusminimus
Msg: 12
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 6:30:40 PM
I would wait until they reached for the soap so their hands were clear before I pissed in the sink.
 Divorced, Broke, Bald
Msg: 13
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 6:59:15 PM
In a related matter: The police were looking for a friend of mine, so I let them chase me into the bathroom so I could stall them there. Didn't help though - it wasn't long before they flushed him out.
 daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 8:13:45 PM

Alcohol-based hand cleaner -- keep it handy and use it frequently

Again I must say, don't assume because someone doesn't use the germ infested sink/soap/towels at the sink that they aren't clean. Many of us avoid such areas and use hand cleaners while still in the stall then make a beeline to get out of the restroom before being contaminated. You don't always know what you are gossiping about.
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 15
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 9:22:00 PM
I’ve worked in a set up such as you describe, and no, I would not go into the small restroom to use the sink if someone was in the stall using the commode. I knew the bathroom was occupied, because it had a lock on the door. If someone could not wait to wash their hands, there was also a sink in the coffee area. A workplace restroom isn’t like a public one. Privacy is MORE important, because you know and work alongside with these folks every day. You don’t want the awkwardness and embarrassment of HEARING or SMELLING their ablutions.
 bernta
Msg: 16
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 9:39:51 PM
I was in a fast food restaurant the other day and used the restroom. When I walked in I saw a open toilet and sink, so I locked the main door behind me. It wasn't until after I sat down that I realized that there was another toilet, in a stall, in front of me!

So what is the etiquette when one toilet is in a stall and one isn't?? That was a new one for me!!

Edit: Just dawned on me that the proper etiquette might be to find another restaurant!!
 ZenBeth
Msg: 17
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/26/2010 11:18:58 PM
We have a small bathroom with a separate wash area for women only and since we are all like sisters, we sometime go together and talk while someone is using the toilet, or washing their hands. I am more concerned with how many people do NOT wash their hands after using the bathroom and would like to see a sink area within public view so you would have to wash your hand when leaving the toilet area.

~Beth~
 barbee1970
Msg: 18
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/27/2010 2:57:31 AM
I have the same type of bathroom in my work area. I knew I really had the runs so I went in the student bathroom down the hall as a courtesy to the lady in the staff one.

Hey least I clean up after myself.
 yew4ic
Msg: 19
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/27/2010 1:15:34 PM
What an idiotic thread. Funny, but stupid. LMAO! o.k my answer is lock the door and be quick as possible.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/28/2010 1:58:41 PM
we have a local theater which is considered an historic landmark. there, they have a few stalls lined up inside a larger women's bathroom. while you sit, there are lines outside your door, waiting for you to get out! the door, for someone tall like myself, starts at the bust line and goes down to about a a foot above the floor. when you stand up, you are facing everyone on line. so, i assume this is legal. large corporations or local oddity venues like this one, will probably stand by what is legal. if you have a small office, i suggest you have a group brainstorm. for me, a decent door between the toilet and the sink would suffice. let's face it, if you have a "problem" then even if the person waits outside, s/he will know it when they enter. hopefully, you would find an alternative in that situation!

btw. my first husband (new england irishman) and i (nyc brooklyn jewish girl) thought nothing of sharing a bathroom (along with the four dogs and four cats). for me, it was new in that i was an only child, but didn't think much about it. if we needed privacy, we just said so. however, my second husband from scotland would not even pee if someone was around. he'd lock the door and put on the fan.

go figure. i guess it is not only the "situation" or the "individual" or the "corporate culture", it is also the way one was raised and the area they lived in.

OP, what exactly is YOUR issue with this?
 myblueshadow
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/29/2010 6:32:01 AM
Never expected so many replies! And I haven't been on here all weekend.

Here is MY issue. On a few occassions I have walked down the hall to the bathroom. Our building has 3 floors, a bathroom on each. The lower level, where I work is the only bathroom with the one stall issue. There is no lock on the actual bathroom door. While I know people who work in this building, we frequently have other employees from our other sites/visitors here for meetings/trainings. So you open the bathroom door, if someone is in the stall, I will walk out and wait in the hall, but a few times a month, I will open the door to someone standing at the sink. Usually if it's someone I know, I will go in and close the stall door, but when it's a visitor/employee I don't know, it's an awkward situation. Do I turn around and walk out or do I continue my way in to the stall.

I get this isn't as profound as why don't guys date fat girls or why are all women gold diggers, but it seemed like it would be a way to get some input on etiquette.
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 3/29/2010 8:30:08 AM

The sink is outside of the stall

I don't know of any single person bathroom where there is a sink outside of the stall. Obviously there for a reason! :P

I get this isn't as profound as why don't guys date fat girls.[ /quote]

Men like this drive me bonkers! Some guys call women fat when in reality the woman is not even overweight but don't even get me started on that !!
 QUIET WHISPERS
Msg: 23
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 4/1/2010 8:02:57 PM
SCREW THOSE OCD HANDWASHING CO-WORKERS- IF YOU GOTTA POOP, GO IN & LOUDLY & STINKILY DO IT...THEN THE BEEYATCH WILL STAY OUT OF THE CAN UNLESS SHE REALLY HAS TO GO POTTY
 QUIET WHISPERS
Msg: 24
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 4/1/2010 8:06:48 PM
PS-IF U R REALLYBAAAAD LEAVE A FLOATER
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 25
Bathroom etiquette
Posted: 4/1/2010 8:08:32 PM
WOW!
I feel a sudden appreciation for my workplace and the abundant supply of sinks and bathrooms. WITH doors too!

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bathroom etiquette