Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is life passing you by?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 1
Is life passing you by?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Doesn't matter how fit, healthy, or full of vitality we feel today....the simple fact for those of us in the 45+ is this: Our lives are at most...half over.

So far...I wonder how many of us could write a captivating novel about our life's journey and adventures? How many of us could say that so far we have lived each day to the fullest, and with a purpose?
Personally, I refuse to live an unlived life.
Although I might have a few regrets about the things I didn't do....or some of the opportunities I let pass me by...I will never regret all the fun, crazy, and dangerous things I did do! There is no doubt that I could write a book about my life experiences so far....
How about you? Could you write a captivating book about your life so far...or is life passing you by?
 TryAgan
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 5:58:19 PM
I wrote a book, but it wasn't about me.
I could imagine that some women could write about me, but no publisher would take chances printing it.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 5:58:26 PM
I wouldn't have selected "should be obvious" to cancel this thread, I would have labeled it "chat topic." I don't much care for "talk amongst yourselves while I watch and judge" sorts of discussions, and that's what this appears to invite, regardless of the friendly tone and encouraging words.
I'm glad you are having such a good time, and that you feel you've "done it right," but your posting such here in this way comes across as bragging, not helping.
 TheReason_
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:20:55 PM
Yup. Went to post secondary for 5 years, became a ski bum for a couple years, worked I the forest, played in bar bands for a few years, lived, loved, and lost, travelled to Europe, travelled to Australia to meet a girl, came back, got married, got an apprenticehip, then a trade, put on 70lbs got divorced, dropped 70lbs, and here I am.

Free-At-Last
Msg: 5
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:27:10 PM
Should be obvious??
W H A T E V E R....

I'm glad you are having such a good time, and that you feel you've "done it right," but your posting such here in this way comes across as bragging, not helping.

Oh...I'm sorry if my post comes across as bragging..not helping......
alrighty then....best to stick to topics such as erectile disfunction I guess.
How selfish of ME!!!
So...anything I can do to help you get it up??
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 6
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:40:33 PM

Yup. Went to post secondary for 5 years, became a ski bum for a couple years, worked I the forest, played in bar bands for a few years, lived, loved, and lost, travelled to Europe, travelled to Australia to meet a girl, came back, got married, got an apprenticehip, then a trade, put on 70lbs got divorced, dropped 70lbs, and here I am.

Thanks for sharing...doesn't sound like life has been passing you by at all.
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 7
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 6:53:41 PM
I have lived but some of the exciting things that have happened to me I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy....sometimes things happen beyond our control. It isn't fun nor is it happy. My life is my life. The good, bad and ugly and yes the boring parts. We have to go through each thing including the boring for growth and maturity.......there is nothing wrong with not being up there with everyone else.....sometimes there is something to be said about calm people that doesn't have to go and do everything all the time. Everyone needs downtime and not making vacations or great things to do except enjoy being in the moment. And enjoying it. I have done tons of thing and traveled to a few places and lived on the edge of excitement. Until the excitement almost took me over the edge to. I am not boring but there is something to be said about being quiet and taking your time and not jumping in with both feet first.....Everyone is different. Today I want a no drama, stress free life.......
 SensualVixenX
Msg: 8
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:08:36 PM
Heaven forbid a new topic is started for discussion in the 45+ section of the threads.
Yep, OP, back to ED or someone resurrecting 3 year old dead threads.....

My book would make Linda Lovelace blush......
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 9
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:12:32 PM
I believe I have lived my life pretty well. I take opportunities as they come up. I've done things spur-of-the-moment that I didn't even know I wanted to do--like, the second time I ever rode a road bike, I went 500 miles. The first time, I rode 50 miles--25 straight up, 25 straight down. People thought I was crazy, but I was , like, well, I can ride a BICYCLE, surely?

I work with a woman who talks big--"I'm going to do ...." and never does. And now her body is failing her, and she never WILL do the things she has wanted to do. I am a big believer in doing what you want to do when the opportunity arises. I can't think of anything I wanted to do--maybe Burning Man back in the early 1980s--that I haven't done (BM has WAYYYY tooo many people for my tastes, now, so I do local burns, instead).

On the other hand, many people's "dreams" of doing things are effectively killed by being in long-term relationships with people who don't share their vision. I've been single all my life, so I CAN go on spur-of-the-moment trips for a week in Yellowstone, you know?

PS--I plan to be a ski bum when I retire.
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 10
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:23:00 PM
Life has been interesting. I actually am writing it down in a book but it's a book just for my kids to read someday (I think) at this point.

Now, as far as this Saturday night. It's passing me by. I am bored silly.
 maximusminimus
Msg: 11
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:44:14 PM
My life ended six or seven years ago. The time spent since t has been sort of a pathetic lingering for not wanting to pull the plug, exactly like when you let the bathwater go cold but somehow weren't inspired to get up and out and dry off, the empty bed waiting seeming somehow uninspiring.
 kari135
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 7:53:25 PM
There are a few spectator sports I enjoy, but life sure isn't one of them. After growing up in the very urban midwest, I went to Alaska, where for a good part of the time I lived on a semi-homestead.

Could I write a book? You bet! I doubt that very many people would believe it, though.
 scorpshaz
Msg: 13
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:08:57 PM
i love this, so few words but says so much
 amethyst10616
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:12:24 PM
Great thread!

I do think that I have had a great life, but mercy! I surely would not want to relive some periods of it. I could write a book and some of it would be some very funny dating tales and what I have learned about dating via the internet since becoming a divorced woman after 20 plus years of marriage. I am now dating a younger man and I could not have imagine doing that at one time.

I agree with you, OP, a life unlived is one that has missed so many opportunities. Life is not a dress rehearsal and when I get to the Grande Finale, I want to know that I made the most of what I was given, including making plenty of mistakes.

maximus, why do you feel your life is over now?
 navywoman
Msg: 15
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:33:33 PM
I certainly could write a captivating book about my life; but not sure if it should be rated comedy or xxx rating.
 breath~
Msg: 16
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:59:15 PM

Personally, I refuse to live an unlived life.
It's all in the mind. It's all in perception.
You may see the man sitting on the bench watching the birds day after day.. and think, 'he sure isn't living much of real life'.
And he sees you rush on by.. and is thinking, 'she sure isn't living much of real life'.
 actualizing
Msg: 17
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 9:18:49 PM
The title of my book is "Oops! I Did it Again!"

I am working on regenerative sleep and pressing the reset button so that I can have more than "One Life to Life" I just hope it all doesn't end up at "General Hospital." Is life passing me by, you ask? It is more that "As the World Turns" I get to view it from the "Dark Shadows."
 maximusminimus
Msg: 18
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 9:29:08 PM

maximus, why do you feel your life is over now?
I had what all I wanted.
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 19
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 9:57:31 PM
For whatever reasons we might be here on POF at OUR age, and at this moment in time, in the MEANTIME… I’m pretty sure we ALL have a story. Judging from the responses, life is NOT passing us by.
~Carry on~
 FriendlyFreeSpirit
Msg: 20
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:07:38 PM
I live with a teenager. I have no life.
However, I'm hoping to regain it soon. So it's not exactly that life is passing me by - more, it's on the pause button.
 SensualVixenX
Msg: 21
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:16:18 PM
"It's all in the mind. It's all in perception.
You may see the man sitting on the bench watching the birds day after day.. and think, 'he sure isn't living much of real life'.
And he sees you rush on by.. and is thinking, 'she sure isn't living much of real life'."

This is the best and most profound post I have ever read in a forum! I applaud you...
 Kranck
Msg: 22
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:32:12 PM
I’m just taking a break from my wild and crazy life to captivate people with tales of my wild and crazy life…

(…skidding sideways Chardonnay chocolate irrepressible whoo-hoo)
 A Religion Of One
Msg: 23
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:39:07 PM
Lately, thematically speaking...

2007: Winds of change, storm brewing
2008: Major downward spiral
2009: Picking up of pieces, remaking of self
2010: Transformation, dawn of a new day

It's strange when you go through one of these periods of tear-down and rebuilding anew in this life. You can become quite inward, feel distant from what you normally so easily embraced of this life. You can feel that life IS passing you by, especially when it seemed so prolonged.

But when you get to the other side of it, you realize that such a thing IS a big part of your life. Perhaps life wasn't passing you by so much as you needed to find a new way to meet it with dignity and zest.

Sometimes I think we forget that it is often during those times when life seems to be passing you by that life is actually making its presence felt the most to you.
 Far_Horizon
Msg: 24
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:56:20 PM
There'll be plenty of time to take stock of your "beeen there, done that, tick it off" t-shirt collection when you're dead.

I'm far more interested in what's next than some retrospective ego stroke.

Ya live and ya die. Where are you now?
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 25
Is life passing you by?
Posted: 3/27/2010 11:03:25 PM
It has been good and it has been bad.
Some of the good parts were the color of bliss, and some of the worse were excruciating, devastating.
I survived and learned to live with both. In time I even gained some insight and empathy for people's imperfections and infirmities. I wouldn't write a book, but I could tell the stories long into the night..,
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is life passing you by?