Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheReason_
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
For me, the biggest thing was kicking the back of the seat as a kid. I would even touch it, and my dad would say "quit kicking the seat" fast forward 20 years, when I had kids of my own, and wow you really CAN feel it, when someone kicks or touches the back of the seat!
 privat33r
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.
Posted: 3/27/2010 9:02:08 PM
Heh,.. My eldest just had a girl over for the first time for a date. He cleaned up. She had dinner with her, then her dad took about forever picking her up. The business about being upstairs wondering what they were up to in the basement was a real time warp.
 texasbaby
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 6:48:41 AM
I can remember wondering why "old people" always ask to have things repeated or accused you of mumbling when you spoke.
WELL,, now that I'm older,, it finally makes sense.
I simply don't always hear as well as I used to..
Could it be too many nights of loud rock music, too many Sundays at the local drag race track,, or just my age?

tb
 Vannili
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 9:28:45 AM
Msg:1 I wear a bifocal eyeglasses at work or going shopping,when I enter a store /work ,Iam rummaging my purse looking for my glasses to wear so I can read prices etc.. I don't wear my eyeglasses when I am driving,/at home /walking/eating in a restaurant,I don't considered my self vain,I am not just comfortable wearing eyeglasses all the time.

As an older woman now ,I learned it doesn't makes sense to waste an energy to impress others, but what makes sense is YOU IMPRESSED your self of your achievement and how you made yourself.... Vannili
 damassteel
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 12:47:29 PM
For me it's a couple of things. First is my needing my home environment quiet and peaceful. Raucous activity in and around my vicinity is VERY annoying, so people running up and down stairs, slamming doors etc. bugs me no end; just like my grandparents!!!
Next was realizing that my daughter had become sexually active. Not exactly a shocker, but a kind of awkward crossroads/milestone for us both. Now I look upon her as an adult and not a child . Our relationship has been brought up to date, so to say.
I recall my own parents having to confront that reality. They actually handled it rather well.
 TheReason_
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 1:40:11 PM
It used to be "don't trust anyone over 30"

Now it's "don't trust anyone under 25"

damassteel
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 3:21:57 PM
You know you're getting older when, the presence of Police and patrol cars is a comforting thing.
 DeliveryRN
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 3:44:21 PM
Thanks for explaining that Hibiscus. Many people do not understand that there is a biological reason for those who needed glasses when young, not needing them later in life. And those of us who could read in the dark and had better than 20/20 vision, now need glasses to read almost anything. Thank God for progressive lenses.
What I could not understand as a child was hearing people say "I am so tired". It really baffled me.
 mn400
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 6:28:27 PM
So does that mean if half baby boomers are blind we ugly singles will have a better chance of finding a date or eat lots of fish oil so you won't be out with an ugly person and not know it? I'm not being shallow, just saying..
I always figured mother nature let our eyes get bad so we couldn't see our wrinkles or those of our loved ones as we aged.
 mn400
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 6:32:18 PM
I'm old when I go to a new doctor and I have to double check the year they graduated on their diploma to discern if they were a child protege' or it really is possible you can be that young with a medical degree and started college at 18.
 LG2727
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 7:56:28 PM
I have 2 friends in their 50s who are constantly losing their reading glasses! I want to buy them them those cords you hang around your neck to keep them on! lol! I do not need the glasses yet, my arms are still long enough! lol! Just when did this start happening anyway? lol!
 wooliepack
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2010 9:31:00 PM
I noticed, after I had bypass surgery last Fall, my eyesight improved... Not a lot, but enough to notice.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/28/2010 10:11:55 PM

I know I'm old-
cuz I call 30 year olds
kids-

oh sheit..............

I just told one of my female friends about this really cute "kid" that I see in a professional capacity ~ he's 31.

~OT~ My son told me that his dad, his dad's ex-GF (yes, it's complicated...LOL) and me, all got them within a week or so of one another. Guess we all got old at the same time. I'm OK with the reality I have to have them, they're cute and you can have all sorts of shapes, colors and stuff cause they're SO cheap. I guess if this is the worse that happens by this age, I'm not doing so bad.
 damassteel
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2010 4:00:16 PM
How about when movie survey people phone and they ask my age, when I tell them, they say thank you and excuse themselves on to another call!! Aparently, my age group is unimportant in their demographics.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2010 8:59:52 PM

How about standing at the top of the stairs yelling down at your teenagers who are blasting their music in basement, "Turn that darn music down, you are going to make yourselves go deaf!"

Nah, I TEXT her - it's the only way she'll listen.

My eyes hit their 'best before date' a few days before my 45th birthday. Doesn't that just suck? I realized it when I was muttering "Why do they use such a small font on labels?" umm, yeah, right.
 Rythmn
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2010 9:31:03 PM
OP, get very skinny reading glasses and sit them down on your nose. Peek over them when not reading--or alternative wear them on your forehead! This only took me a few years to figure out. That and how to deal with sunscreen burning my eyes, after moving to CA from NYC! Now I use sun screen powder.

I dealt with many issues earlier than most, when I had not yet been diagnosed or treated with lymes. I often talked to older people who said their minds were young and they felt trapped inside their bodies. In my late 50's, I took each physical and cosmetic issue that bothered me and I addressed what I could. First I underwent some very aggressive treatments to at least, get me standing on my own two feet. It took time and money, but I did manage to find ways to recoup some of what I had lost. Now, when friends as young as you in your 40's OP, start complaining about aging, I have some suggestions. In a way, I now am in a better position than my peers because I was able to address so many things at a younger age and over a longer period of time.

I suppose the one thing I ponder, is how my mom felt about me in my late teens and early twenties. Having three kids in early 20's, I feel very sad about our lack of connection lately. Some say this is normal, but I am not buying into it. It would be nice to discuss this with my mom. But, alas, she is dead.

I do know I do some very annoying things lately that she did to annoy me. Well, you know the saying: "Mirror, mirror on the wall, I am my mother after all!" Well, she got her first hickey in her late sixties!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2010 6:24:52 PM
When I was five, I noticed a mole in the exact center of my dad's back, between his shoulder blades. I concluded it was a standard age-related male appendage. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized that only my DAD had one there.
When I was much younger, I thought the reason that old folks liked music from the forties was because they just weren't WITH IT. Then I realized people like the music they grew up with.
I used to believe a guy had to be insane to leave a beautiful woman. Then I had one go nuts on me, and I learned beauty was only part of what's needed fpr a good match.
 daynadaze
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2010 6:46:01 PM
I use to hate all the groaning when 'old' people got up from a seated position. Oh my aching back...legs....knees...thighs.....
 c_deacon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2010 6:53:11 PM
Very funny......

I use to wonder why women decided to wear a bra when their breasts were so nice and perky without them.............Now I know..........

cd..........
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2010 8:25:48 PM
By the way, PA: You on't need to care about AARP, I don't think they have it in Canadoodlia. It's American Association of Ridiculouslyold People. They get us geezers discounts on lots of stuf.
 EGJV
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/4/2010 8:27:10 PM

I used to believe a guy had to be insane to leave a beautiful woman. Then I had one go nuts on me, and I learned beauty was only part of what's needed fpr a good match.

One would hope people would learn that, but apparently plenty don't. And IMO, the early learners are ever fewer...
 Molly Maude
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2010 9:13:29 PM
I never understood why "old people" walked as tho they were tin men with rusted joints ... I never understood their timid, little steps as tho they were afraid they were going to fall down ...

I never understood the constant, "help Grandma with this, sweetie!" comments ... or the "dirt? I can't see any dirt!" comments ...

I never understood not being able to reach something ... or not having the energy to do things with me ... like being too tired to walk all the way out to the barn to see kittens ...

so, now, when I'm tempted to do some/all of those things that the "old people" I knew did

I just DON'T! I move gingerly maybe at first, then as fluidly as possible ... I step forth with confidence (even tho my tri-focals prevent my being able to SEE where I'm stepping!) ...

if the grandkids see dirt where I see nothing ... I just tell them that, if they can see it, they can clean it up! and, if I can't reach it, I reach it anyway! energy or no ... I'm gonna do things with my grandkids! and ... I won't let "old age" beat me down yet!

ask me again next week!!!
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2010 1:06:38 AM
First, a reading glasses hint - dollartree stores sell them for a dollar apiece. I buy a half dozen at a time and scatter them all over.

Probably the one thing I can think of I don't think has been mentioned is that as a youngster I didn't much heed the 'wisdom' of people in their last decade or two of life. Now I actively seek them out to glean what I can before they're gone.

And I now recognize there's a child in all of us at any age, and encourage it's release in others as well as myself. It was such fun to watch my 80 year old dad get into a tickle fight with his three older sisters at a recent family reunion, almost as much fun as when I called them a few years before and it became obvious I'd interrupted them in an intimate moment. Good to know I've got those genes!

Dave
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/6/2010 10:32:07 AM

Now I know what she means, no longer can I eat extra hot picante sauce on eggs or chicken fried bacon or biscuits smothered in jalapeno/sausage gravy or cabbage or a huge piece of cake topped with too much ice cream, nuts, cherries, caramel sauce & marshmallow cream ...... the list goes on & on

I was just telling my friend the other day that the list for the foods I can no longer eat is growing every year. Now it's apples. Their too heavy..they just in in my tummy like a great big lump. Aaargh!!!!

...Also, I now understand the importance of eating fibre * big grin*

...mae
 Hands of gold
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 1:30:38 PM
When I was a kid I used to think, "Why ride a bike when you could just drive?" Now, I ride my bike any time I can, even in winter, for the exercise and the environment. I also don't care how I look when I ride. (Pants tucked into sock to avoid grease on my cuff) (Ski goggles and ear muffs in winter.) I didn't touch a bike between 16 and 25.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Now that I'm older...it finally makes sense.