Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Contra Dancing, Anyone???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 1
Contra Dancing, Anyone???Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
We've all heard about this contra dancing phenomenon, so it's time to experience it ourselves!

With the help of Climbsagain, I have learned of a contra dancing event to be held on April 24. The dance starts at 7:30 with a free lesson and goes until 11pm. This is not an official PoF event in that we will be visiting a group that already exists.

I'm going to repost Climb's words because he describes it well -

This is an informal get together. The cost is 7 dollars which pays for the band, the hall and the dance caller. Trust me, no individual is getting rich . The key to everyone enjoying the dance is to arrive by 7:30 so you can participate in the free lesson. The lesson will enable you to learn the basics you will need to enjoy the dance. The dance which begins at 8:00 is fun because experienced dancers will partner up with the newbies to help you along as you learn the dance. The dance is from 8:00-11:00 with a 15 minute break from 9:30-9:45, otherwise a new dance is called non stop with interesting variations with a new beat and a new sequence of fun dance steps . It is a good group that enjoys to dance. Note there are no adult beverages as this location is a public facility without the proper permits.

I have been putting out feelers for anyone that might like to join Climbs and I on the 24, and there seems to be a good amount of interest. I know the event is a monthly event held in Peninsula, and we'd be joining veteran dancers for a great time.

Anyone interested in showing? Anyone brave enough to try something new and fun???
 MissElaineESJones
Msg: 2
Contra Dancing, Anyone???
Posted: 3/30/2010 8:50:50 AM
Where is this located?
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/30/2010 1:46:05 PM
It's in Peninsula. That's on route 303 near Akron. It's also the town in which the original Winking Lizard is located.

Climbs gave me the following address:

The Boston Township Schoolhouse
1775 Main Street
Route 303 and Riverview Road
Peninsula Ohio, 44264

I hope this helps. :)
 ~Lone Ranger~
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/30/2010 2:16:28 PM
There is Contra Dancing in Columbus also
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/30/2010 2:31:01 PM
But Columbus is such a LOOOOOONG drive for us Cleveland/Akron/Canton folks.

There's nothing that says you can't join us up here with your square-dancing partner, LR.
 climbsagain
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/30/2010 5:42:33 PM
This will be a fun evening of music and dance. Meet new friends and have fun with old friends. Come one, come all and dance away the evenung. Just remember the free dance lesson is at 7:30. Be there and I will help yopu learn to dance.
 MissElaineESJones
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/30/2010 6:39:45 PM
I wish this were closer to me since I would very much like to meet the mysterious, Mr. Climbs, in person.

Hope you all have a great time!
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/30/2010 8:47:05 PM
Well, you have a few weeks to make plans on making the trip!

Besides, I haven't made it down to the Columbus lunch bunch since you've started attending, so you haven't met me, either.
 climbsagain
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/31/2010 4:02:25 AM
This dance attracts individuals from 24 to 74. Much fun for one and all. The ladies get to dance with me as well. Dancing the night away....dance away.................try something new and different...new music.......new dancing.......and if you like you can chat during the dance without having to yell ..................
 Qmc
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:10:13 AM
I'm in for this dance and then back again on the 25th for a bike ride.
Hey Climbs I'll do yours if you do mine! .....LOL
 climbsagain
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/31/2010 5:09:57 PM
Hey Climbs I'll do yours if you do mine! .....LOL

Perhaps I could make it? This research paper is hanging over me with less time everyday. Of course QMC if you show up at the dance we can do the GYSPY the way the step is meant to happen.........if you recall our dance at rafters......that was only a warmup dance Kiddo! The real thing awaits you the evening of April 24th! Do you dare?
 Qmc
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/31/2010 5:51:51 PM
I double dog dare you, Climbs....
 climbsagain
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/31/2010 6:09:12 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^I double dog dare you, Climbs.... ^^^^^^^

I feel the heat rising up the back of my neck. Who is this daring woman from the south to double dog dare me? I have to remember QMC is a lady.........I accept your challenge. Does this mean you will join us for the dance on the 24th?
 Qmc
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/31/2010 7:13:47 PM
I'll be there and packing some heat Mister... snicker.. I've been watching Contra Dance Videos on youtube. Watch out!!!
Do you dance in a Kilt? I saw some men dancing in Kilts.

You probably already know that Contra Dancing is Celtic Folk Dancing. I'm all about that. Looking forward to this.
 climbsagain
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/1/2010 3:47:36 AM
^^^^^^Do you dance in a Kilt? I saw some men dancing in Kilts.

You probably already know that Contra Dancing is Celtic Folk Dancing. I'm all about that. Looking forward to this. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not me, in fact not many men dance in a Kilt. Just rememeber when you dance your dress will swing up!
 e- mermaid
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2010 5:06:39 AM
men in Kilts...........

Just remember when you dance your dress will swing up!

hmmmmmm, I may have to come see this!
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/1/2010 8:33:49 AM
Hmmm...I might actually have to find a skirt to wear to this. I usually do jeans, but with the warmer weather and physical activity with the dancing I might opt for a wardrobe choice with a little more air conditioning.

I'm excited about this. It's one of those things that I've heard so much about that I have to try. I might hate it, but I might love it too. At the very least, I won't have to spend time in a stuffy, boring gym that day for my aerobic workout.
 Qmc
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/1/2010 9:30:07 AM
Spinach go to YouTube and type in Contra Dancing Lots of videos on it. I'm wearing my Ithaca NY Contra Dancing skirt, LOL
Climbs... the skirt flying up is all apart of the flirt isn't it? Although in Ithaca they don't shave their pits and legs, I will I don't want to be all that Crunchy Granola. But I do love Ithaca!
 climbsagain
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/1/2010 6:32:51 PM
^^^^^^Although in Ithaca they don't shave their pits and legs, I will I don't want to be all that Crunchy Granola. But I do love Ithaca! ^^^^^^^^^^^

There you go! Maybe I will have to find a kilt to start a fashion trend/ Wher does one find a KILT? Ideas, ideas, ideas?

Qmc
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/2/2010 12:11:36 PM
Go to Kilts.com There are all kinds of places to buy one
 Wickys girl
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/2/2010 6:27:06 PM
How cool is this! I am going to see if I can get a sitter and make it up. I checked out some youtube clips on contra dancing and it looks like so much fun! I will admit its a lot more lively than my belly dancing, but dancing is dancing as far as I am concerned!
 MissElaineESJones
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/2/2010 7:35:18 PM

There you go! Maybe I will have to find a kilt to start a fashion trend/ Where does one find a KILT? Ideas, ideas, ideas?

The question in regard to the wearing of kilts is, what does a man wear under a kilt? The answer to that is traditionally the manly way, nothing at all!

This might encourage attendance to the dance and may give new meaning to the phrase, shake a leg.

How many women vote to have climbs buy the kilt and wear it the manly way? Somebody take pictures.
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/5/2010 7:50:27 AM
The 24th seems so far away now, but I know it'll be upon us before we know it. I'm definitely looking forward to this new experience! My profile title says I'm looking for friends, fun and firsts, and it holds as true today as it did just over a year ago when I started with PoF.
 climbsagain
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/10/2010 4:25:50 AM
Fun , fun and more fun is the best way to describe contra dance. If you are reading this you too can can fun and meet new friends. The dance is easy to learn. Once you know how mto contra dance a new world of entertainment will open up as contra dances are held through out Ohio.
 SpinachSalad
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/13/2010 8:21:26 AM
Holy Crapples there's a TON of stuff going on for this weekend! I know there are pulls in other directions - Canton, Columbus for the OSU scrimmage, Rocky River, bike ride on Sunday, etc. However, I still plan on going to experience contra dancing this evening. At least I know I'll be in shape enough to keep up with the regulars!

Since there's no sign-up sheet for this, if anyone is interested in joining Climbs and I, please shoot me an email so we can get an approximate head count and know who to look for. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Contra Dancing, Anyone???