Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > 41 and he has false teeth?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 1
view profile
History
41 and he has false teeth?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
and he wants to get his lowers done. I really need to come to grips with this, and why it would be the case. To be honest, I am baffled as to why anyone would have that at that age, let alone want it. Two things come to mind, the health aspect and also I would think that it would make things umm..awkward. Perhaps I just need to understand it more? What do you make of someone that age having dentures?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
41 and he has false teeth?
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:11:04 PM
Could be anything. I had a friend who went thru a nasty bout of cancer at 28, and the chemo and radiation weakened her tooth enamel and gave her constant abscesses and tooth problems into her 40s. Eventually she had them all pulled and had false teeth put in.
 mr.evil
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:13:50 PM
Many things come to mind, weak or thin enamel affected his teeth, some drugs can cause decay(both recreational and prescribed), lack of insurance, and a host of things could have caused it. I doubt he thought it would be a good idea to let his teeth fall out.

Awkward? Only if it doesn't fit right I would think. Unless of course, you FEEL awkward.

Hey sh1t happens, if you can't overlook it, move on. I think it would be better than the alternative of looking like a fence with slats missing!
 zangie
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:47:41 PM
As a cancer survivor who underwent chemo...it destroys your teeth..that is one possibility...no matter what it is, age doesn't have anything to do with it necessarily...there are many reasons your teeth ( or gums..periodontal disease...which can be hereditary...especially in those of Italian heritage) can be beyond repair..or the repair is cost prohibitive...

As for awkward...if you aren't concentrating on it you won't know the difference...most people with dentures..if they are made right..you'd never know..and they generally don't let anyone see them without teeth if they can help it...
 theforumfiend
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/31/2010 10:58:24 PM
So the guy had severe problems with his teeth and is getting dentures rather than running around with bad and/or no teeth?

And your problem is? Seriously he could have been an accident, could have been ill, could have done drugs, but the biggie is that he is taking care of himself.
 RushLuv
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/31/2010 11:07:38 PM
It depends on why he got them. If he needed a set of false teeth because he failed to take care of the one's he used to have, I would find that to be a red flag.
 some woman
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/31/2010 11:37:16 PM
I don't make anything of someone in their 40's having dentures. I guess I'd just be happy that he bothered to do whatever he had to do for his oral health.

One of my exes got dentures when he was 16 because his family has problems with thin and weak enamel on their teeth. They all have this problem to varying degrees. The alternative was to have bad teeth for the rest of his life, or at least until they all fell out, no matter how well he tried to take care of them. It was not because he did anything wrong to cause his dental issues and he's always been very healthy.

Coming from a large family that couldn't afford much and with no insurance, he didn't get his lowers when he got his uppers as a teen. When he got out on his own, he prioritized rent and food over replacing his teeth. It wasn't until many years later that he decided it was important, but by then his mouth had changed so much that he couldn't find a dentist willing to attempt the lowers. Now, yet more years later, that may have changed. I haven't asked him.

Oh, and it didn't make anything awkward. That doesn't mean it wouldn't for someone else, but it didn't for us.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2010 6:11:30 AM
There are so many reasons for a person to have false teeth by an "early age" it's hard to guess. I have a friend in her early 20's that has full uppers due to bad dentistry(a dentist f-ed up and as a result an infection ruined the roots on her uppers). As others have mentioned cancer, family history, accidents, etc.

I have been looking into implants for years due to my family history, not poor hygeine. But only your guy can tell you his story on why.

As for ackward? I guess that is up to you/him and how you two handle it.
 *army mom*
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/1/2010 6:23:40 AM
You'd rather he walk around with no teeth? I hear banjos ... lol

There are lots of reasons someone in their 40's has dentures, and I imagine a lot of them are related to health issues -- chemo, etc. I was extremely ill and on tons of medication prior to my liver transplant. After that ordeal was over, I realized that all the medication had caused my jawbone to deteriorate, loosening all my teeth. Implants weren't an option, but dentures were.

Don't be so quick to judge until you know the entire story.
 dub08
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/1/2010 6:52:58 AM
I went out with a guy who had false teeth from in his teens. He fell through a trap door and broke his.

If you are uncomfortable with it then there is nothing you can do to change it. You have to decide how uncomfortable you are.
 abelian
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/1/2010 11:17:38 AM

What do you make of someone that age having dentures?

His girlfriend doesn't have the money to pay for him to get implants?
 justwant2no
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/1/2010 12:36:33 PM

knew a guy that had all of his teeth pulled at age 24, right after getting out of the military, back from a war.

My father did that too. He always had dentures, and no one ever would have known if he didn't tell you. He didn't use any paste or anything either.
It sounds like you have a hang up with the idea of him 'losing' his teeth. My SO has (or should have) a bridge where he lost a couple teeth oh, thirty years ago in a fight. They're not front teeth, and I never would have noticed if he hadn't shown me (he did the fish-hook thing to show me or I never would have known). As long as someone has good oral hygiene, I don't see a problem.
 Helen0426
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/1/2010 2:05:32 PM
You're saying it's a completely voluntary decision? There's nothing wrong with his remaining teeth, he just wants to replace them? And the same thing applied with the uppers, or did he have a physical reason with those? More information needed!
 DarkCrimson
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/1/2010 3:20:19 PM
Hockey player?
 FL CO
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2010 6:46:53 PM
I know a guy in his late 20s, who is missing all of his teeth. He got severly injured in Iraq and is on a lot of painkillers, which caused it.
 briargate
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/5/2010 6:56:04 PM
Periodontal disease can destroy all of your teeth at a young age as well. My mother eventually lost hers in her 50s and a female friend that isn't even 30 is having this problem, too.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/6/2010 12:42:00 AM
Alaska ?

Just sayin, there is some horrendous dental neglect up thar in them thar hills
 myblueshadow
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 6:57:21 AM
My dad has has dentures, well an upper, since he was 18. He got all of his teeth broken off at the gum during a football game in high school. He had to have all the teeth removed and just never liked the lower denture. Obviously, he's had this issue my entire life, and quite honestly, most of the time I don't even remember. I don't think it's changed his life much at all.
 MsMicki
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 7:43:13 AM
Are you kidding me?
Questioning why someone has dentures?

Guess some people will find fault with just about anything
 sosdd
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:48:27 AM
If he was a previous drug user, non prescription type, I would question the relationship. If he was in street fights and had them loosened and knocked out, I would question the relationship. But most other reasons like hereditary problems, chemo, etc. I wouldn't have problems with.

My ex didn't have full upper or lowers, but he wore partials. You would never know. Only problem he had was when the upper fell in the urinal. Thankfully that was right before he was getting some major dental work done and he was getting a new one any way.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:56:30 AM
OP: He would be the person to clear up WHY he got them at his age.

However, I would much rather date a man who takes care of his teeth and gets the dentures. Then date someone with rotten, unhealthy mouth/teeth or missing teeth.
 MissyTrouble
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/6/2010 2:46:39 PM
my mom got in a roller skating accident when she was 16.. and had dentures (uppers) from then on.

The only problem i have with dentures is:.. They look better than REAL teeth..

But.. no biggie to me
 *Imperfection*
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/9/2010 4:21:38 PM
omg... how ridiculous. Why question this???

First thing that comes to mind is a medical issue. I know of someone who's medical issues and medications ruined his teeth. He could continue having the rude stares and comments (in front of and behind his back) or get rid of them completely. He chose to have dentures. No one could tell.

And he's noticed there are less rude people than before. Go figure.
 techgirl27
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:23:47 AM
he wants them. pretty sure its not a medical issue. If you read the original post, it mentioned he wants his lowers done too. From what I saw, they were all there just looked crooked and neglected. Honestly, don't be ridiculous, who is going to ASK anyone personally about something like that? I was looking for real life experiences from people, not snide comments.
 techgirl27
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2010 8:45:58 AM
I'm sure. Always a Contrary Larry out there. You can say anything you want on here without it ever being what you'd do IRL, just to try to show people up. Show up rhymes with..grow up. How about that?

I'm also sure that they'd say its none of your business. Get real. What's next, you going to ask the next stranger how they got their stitches? Some things are private.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > 41 and he has false teeth?