Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Allergic reactions to PPD in hair dyes ... Help needed ..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smartypants24
Msg: 2
Allergic reactions to PPD in hair dyes ... Help needed .. Page 1 of 1    
I haven't had a reaction to hair dye per se, but can possibly offer some advice

I spent years suffering the itchy burning pain sensation caused by some unknown-by-me additive in soaps and shampoos (its not the soap itself, because lye only soaps such as borax don't cause this reaction to my skin...soft-soap is the worst, and I haven't done allergy testing because the reaction isn't strong enough to be required and therefore I would have to pay for it myself). I started going product free, and researching natural cleansing products.

After 2 months of washing my hair and body only with water, and occasionally with baking soda/tea rinses, and essential and natural oils...I no longer have oily skin, burning itches, or acne under my hair that would never go away before. I still use deodorants and perfume, just not the typical shampoos and soaps.

Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda with hot water to dissolve. At each wash where sebum has built up on the hair and body, apply a few tablespoons of the solution to the hair, and work in until it feels slippery, then rinse well. Apply a strong steeped tea of any variety, that has been cooled either to a tolerable temperature, or room temperature (the cool tea is quite refreshing...I like peppermint or chamomile best for myself) work it in then rinse. Use the leftover tea to scrub the body, especially areas with folds etc. Rinse well with hot water. Its best not to use the baking soda solution/tea rinse on hair everyday, once a week or if hair gets too greasy only...over time the scalp will produce less heavy oils...the lighter oils generally rinse away with just water. The tea can be used on the body every day to prevent odors. Its also best to avoid hair products, or use them sparingly, as they tend to build up on the hair. The nice thing about going shampoo free is the natural oils that are allowed to remain on the hair shaft keep the hair soft, bouncy and shiny naturally.

I microwave the tea bag with water in a mug for 3 minutes before I go to bed, then warm it up again while I'm eating breakfast in the morning...its nice and strong when it sits over night

Hazelnut oil and citrus based essential oils can also be massaged into the scalp occasionally...hazelnut oil naturally breaks up sebum, and the citrus oils are invigorating and healing...do some internet research on the "no-poo movement"...you still wash at least daily, just without the use of man-made chemicals on the body, and also do some research on carrier oils and essential oils to find the right ones for her.

If her reaction continues to get worse, she should see a doctor who can prescribe or recommend an antihistamine to help reduce the symptoms, and possibly cortisone cream to help the skin heal before trying the above...and if she's allergic to nuts or any of the essential oils you might come across, obviously avoid them!
 ManicMelanie
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Allergic reactions to PPD in hair dyes ... Help needed ..
Posted: 4/4/2010 9:42:31 PM

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/paraphenylenediamine-allergy.html

Treatment of PPD dermatitis:

In acute severe cases of PPD hair dye dermatitis, wash the hair and scalp thoroughly with a mild soap or shampoo to remove the excess dye. Apply a 2% hydrogen peroxide solution OR compresses of potassium permanganate in a 1:5000 dilution to completely oxidise the PPD. To soothe, soften the crust and alleviate the tight feeling of the scalp, a wet dressing of cold olive oil and lime may be used. Further treatment with a topical application of an emulsion of water and water-miscible corticosteroid cream, or oral corticosteroids may be indicated.

*I just checked my bottle of peroxide. It is 3%. I'm pretty sure it varies from brand to brand so I would check the label. Since 2% is okay, I would personally just use the 3% if that's what the store carries. Peroxide has a somewhat "bleaching" effect so I would massage it in, let it set for a few seconds and rinse out. She can always repeat 2 or 3 times if necessary. It will most likely take out much of the coloring, as well as at least "some" of her underlying natural hair color. I would have another (non PPD) hair coloring on hand in case she needs to re-color her hair. . .

** So, to paraphrase, it says:

1. Wash hair with mild shampoo. Rinse.

2. Pour (hydrogen) peroxide onto hair. (I would do this all in the shower.) Massage into scalp. Rinse. Repeat peroxide and rinse, if necessary. (Might want to buy 2 or 3 bottles just to make sure you have enough. It's cheap!) It will strip the coloring from her scalp and her hair. The amount that it strips will depend on how much peroxide she uses and how long she keeps it on. It will probably bubble once it interacts with the PPD.

3. Re-color (obviously with non PPD) if necessary at some point.

***I'm curious if this was a henna-type dye. Sometimes it's added to henna dyes which sucks since it's SUPPOSED to be a (more) natural type dye.

ManicMelanie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2010 7:20:56 PM
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=89588901272&topic=9498

http://www.oprah.com/community/message/1158727

http://www.cosvalitaly.com/cosval/setframe_eng_1280.htm

The 3rd URL is an interesting looking hair coloring made from plant extracts. (One I may try myself.)

Ideoform
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2010 8:06:10 PM
Her reaction might have been initially triggered by the hair dye, but if she is still having problems a year later, she is probably still being exposed to things which are making her immune system over-react. She might have a syndrome called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity also.

To give her immune system a rest, she might try using all homemade products for cleaning and personal hygiene. There is a book called "Clean and Green" which has recipes for cleaning products. You can buy citric acid in a powder form on the internet and dissolve it in water and use it to clean your hair.

If you make your own personal care products, use only edible ingredients and make sure that those don't contain any preservatives. Use essential oils instead of synthetic oils for fragrance, or better yet, use things like natural real food grade lemon oil, almond oil, and vanilla. Avoid all synthetic food colorings and other colorings. There are food grade substitutes for many colorings.

She might also be reacting to the colorings, preservatives and additives in her food. Switch to whole foods that are organically grown to avoid pesticides for 6 months to see if this helps.

She might be having an allergic reaction called oral allergy syndrome. OAS is one of the lesser-known kinds of conditions. It causes your body to interpret certain fruits or vegetables as pollen. She can try eliminating from her diet the ten most common allergenic food types: milk, wheat, soy, citrus, eggs, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, celery, and sesame. This sounds impossible, but there is a method of doing it so you can determine which foods are causing the problem and which are not. It's called an elimination diet. You eliminate all the foods listed for two weeks, then add one type back at a time, wait a day or two to see if you get a reaction and then add another. In a few weeks she will know which foods to avoid.

If her feet are her primary problem, it might be lotions or soap she is using on them, and also could be the soap used in washing her socks, or the cleaning agents or varnishes used on the flooring she walks on.

Many people are allergic to the antibiotic chemicals added to soaps to make them seem more sanitary. However, the mildest soaps still kill germs and so she can try switching to the mildest soaps available, like Dove, Ivory or plain handmade glycerine soap.

If she is overweight, and/or has a heart condition, she might have swelling in her feet and legs called edema, which should be treated by a doctor. This might also be a condition related to diabetes.

There are nutrients which can help someone's immune system calm down. There are many things in a healthy diet that if they are chronically missing from her diet, can cause a problem with general immune system dysregulation. She could have her levels of all major nutrients checked to see if she is low in something essential for the immune system to function correctly.

Fungal infections can enter into the cracks in her skin and cause a constant irritation. She could be treated for a candida infection, using Nystatin both orally and in a cream applied to the skin. She might try treating her feet for athlete's foot, a fungal infection, or for toenail fungus and see if that helps.

If she has been on strong antibiotics recently, she might have an ongoing problem with a type of bacteria that overpopulates after antibiotics kill off all the good bacteria in her gut. She could take pro-biotics, eat a lot of yogurt with active cultures, like Danactive to re-populate her system with good bacteria which will help to keep the bad stuff in check.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Allergic reactions to PPD in hair dyes ... Help needed ..