Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Good attitude towards life??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ibakecakes
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Good attitude towards life??Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There is a saying that 'Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.'

Do you think that our way in life is something that is governed completely by us and what we do or are our futures already mapped out for us and there is nothing we can do about it?
 Jo van
Msg: 2
Good attitude towards life??
Posted: 4/5/2010 10:23:09 AM

There is a saying that 'Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.'

Do you think that our way in life is something that is governed completely by us and what we do or are our futures already mapped out for us and there is nothing we can do about it?

I have discussed this with friends many times. I had a millionaire friend, and like most in that position, he would say "you make your own luck".
And I think there has been research which shows the benefits of PMA (positive Mental Attitude) particularly where illness is concerned. (And the Placebo effect is well documented)
But the discussion becomes purely academic if you consider the fate of someone who's 'luck' it was to be born on a beautiful beach in Thailand, on the morning the tsunami struck.
The "destiny" of all who live, is to die.
Everything else is fairly random, just "luck".
We were all lucky, in that we were born in the half of the world that lives on more than $1/day, and that has clean water. In the other half, 25% of babies don't reach their 5th birthday.
-Nothing to do with their "attitude" or choices, just bad luck.
 CMonster
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/5/2010 3:07:16 PM

I certainty hope not, that would mean that we could never change our mind. Think about it, what if you go to a pub and order a drink, change your mind and couldn't do anything about it because you were predestined to order that specific drink and that there was no way to change your mind without throwing the whole world in jeopardy. Whoa, way too much pressure for one person to decide whether to order an ale or a whiskey; perhaps it would be better if there was a system in place to make all of your decisions for you before hand.
 JP1111
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/6/2010 11:19:37 PM
Well, you can plan for your future as best as you can or, as little as you want but ultimately, whatever will happen will happen. My motto in life has been for a long time “It is what it is”.
 Cargy.
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2010 6:34:59 AM

Time for me to focus on that profile I saw a minute ago

I went out with a geordie lass that kept asking "when are you ganna focus?".

...At least that's what it sounded like

Strider886
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2010 2:21:37 AM
Rob
Im not sure what you have to be negative about, I won't insult you by assuming to know you, I only know that it may or may not be things which I myself have been negative about.

I realised that my negativity came from wanting to, but being unable to achieve things which in reality I had no desire to achieve. What I mean is..... trying to be what everyone seemed to expect, trying to be what society expects.
When you totally stop comparing yourself to other people, you'll find a sense of freedom you've never experienced before.

When my nephew was born, I was free from that expectation to give my parents a grandson... From there on in, i've realise how stupid I was for trying to chase other peoples dreams.
 Cargy.
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2010 2:56:12 AM
You can't change who you are...

...but you can change how you are.
 Jo van
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/8/2010 3:38:21 PM

I am just about the most negative person i know. I concentrate on pretty much all of my character and physical flaws and its blatently obvious.

You should do what I do, hang out with drunken tramps,

they are sh1t company, but they make me look good......

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Good attitude towards life??