Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Warning UK drivers!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strider886
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
On Thursday last week I was caught out by an insurance scammer in the Worcestershire area, he stopped his car for no reason at all on an empty road and I was unable to avoid a very minor collision (no damage to either car). I won't go into a lot of, detail, but the way he did it, he'd be able to catch most drivers out. He basically accelerated sharply and then pulled an E-stop for no reason at all while I was still accelerating.

He acted extremely suspiciously, having his details pre-written and saying things like "no damage to the cars, but I need your details for my neck". He got out of his car acting like a truck had hit him doing 80mph, until he saw there was no damage to either car.

It's my understanding that he's now claiming against injuries for 2 passengers who weren't even in his car.

I suspect i'll be unable to fight this as the insurance company will pay out just to avoid the legal costs of dealing with injury claims vultures. This chap has done the same "trick" at least once that we know of. The Police don't want to know (probably because speeding wasn't involved) and I was actually asked if I was playing an April fools joke......

People, we've all seen this on the news and in the papers.... DONT ASSUME this won't happen to you and DONT ASSUME (like I once did) that it's the fault of the other driver not paying attention!!
It's extremely easy to cause an accident like this just by applying the brakes at that one unexpected moment. Particularly at lower speeds when cars are driving a lot closer together. A lot easier than you or I could ever have thought.

People like this are scum....

I recommend keeping this thread in mind when your travelling at low speeds behind another car, in any situation where your focus is momentarily placed on signs, lights, junctions, road markings and/or other vehicles. If I can serve to prevent this happening to even one other person, then this will have been worth it!

Strider886
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/6/2010 5:56:26 AM
Ummm.... I don't think it was a organised gang type of affair, I think he's had a few payouts in the past and see's it as easy money. Probably also believes that he's only hurting the insurance company. But it's the rest of us that end up paying for it.

One advantage of driving a big 4x4, they would really be claiming for some real injuries!

As would the driver of the 4x4 unfortunately.... They only really provide an illusion of safety. Kinda like believing you can fly to safety if you jump off a cliff in your birthday suit.

With the engine being mounted in front and below the front bulkhead, in a head on crash, the engine has a very good chance of removing the drivers legs, much more likely to roll in a high speed collision and they still only have 4 wheel braking on multi-condition tyres like the rest of the population.
 badge73
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/6/2010 8:49:43 AM
this has been going on for years, when i used to drink with a scouse skip driver he told me all about it happening in liverpool and this was 10 years ago. the law has to be changed as the way it stands at the moment if you go in the back of someone its automatically your fault, it does not matter if they done a emergency stop or what ever, quite wrong in my opinion. especially at round abouts as ive done it as the bloke in front went to pull off then stopped. not much damage was done and fair play to him, he said it was his fault for stopping.
 oggers
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:47:38 AM
from a Police / insurance point of view, if you run into the back of someone, for WHATEVER reason, it is assumed that YOU are at fault - YOU should ALWAYS leave yourself enough room to stop if the other car pulls an emergency stop ( eg animal or kid running into the road ..)

Leave a safe distance and dont drive up someone's chuff !

Photos are good, and if they feign injury, call the police on your mobile ... as has been said earlier , if injury is involved, the police HAVE to be notified ...
 Cargy.
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/6/2010 10:27:45 AM
I just drive everywhere backwards. Then, if I hit anyone, I claim they hit me.
 Strider886
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/7/2010 1:46:42 AM
To those who think they're so great, that they'd never get caught out by such a thing...... I hope it happens to you. I really do.....

Your arrogance and ignorance will be your undoing!

It's part of good driving to scan the road ahead, to check and predict what the drivers around you are going to do.... Nobody drives up to a traffic island in tunnel vision mode and stops dead before looking to the right, we ALL do this on the move as we approach and it take a fraction of a second.... But if some scummy f*cker decides to do an e-stop FOR ANY REASON in that fraction of a second, you pretty much have no choice in the matter!
 Cargy.
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/7/2010 2:23:41 AM
Slightly off topic, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to take my brake lights out?
 oggers
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/7/2010 4:45:34 AM
Strider,

Its not arrogance or ignorance, its years of driving experience, on the road and in competition, that teaches me to leave a gap between me and the car in front...

But if some scummy f*cker decides to do an e-stop FOR ANY REASON in that fraction of a second, you pretty much have no choice in the matter!

You have plenty of choice if you are leaving a reasonable gap between you and the car in front .... if you are driving too close and are not watching him because you are looking at other traffic, then no, you have no choice.

The choice is yours....

Remember the safer driving slogan ? Only a fool breaks the two second rule ...

HTH
 Strider886
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/7/2010 5:36:00 AM
Why the fcuk would you be following someone so closely that you can't avoid hitting them if they stop unexpectedly?

Why would you be so far up the bum of the car in front of you at a roundabout that you can't safely look to the right and keep an eye on the car in front of you at the same time? What's wrong with leaving a car or two's length between you which gives you some reaction time? Just because you're in slow moving traffic doesn't mean that you have to crawl up his bloody exhaust!

I did neither, get your head from up your arse.
You may be king of your domain at home/work, but you ain't nothing to me or the rest of the population.

This the only questionable time i've touched another car since I passed my test in 1997, I've owned a high performance Kitcar since 1999, which has never been involved in an accident and has never earned any speeding offences.....

My last everyday car was written off by our glorious UK wildlife in 2008.
The car before that was written off by an oncoming driver overtaking where he didn't have space to do so, this resulted in a head on collision, he was not insured and I lost my NCB because of it.... I was also in a collision with a chap who ignorantly believed that he could take the law into his own hands by swerving out to prevent me overtaking a stalled car on broken white lined chevons.... I took his front wing off in protest to his stupidity and he had to pay out on his insurance for not knowing/reading section 109 of the highway code.

This now is the only accident which could be questioned and i'll be damned if some low life drop out is going blacken my record and make himself a quick £2000 by screwing over the rest of us hard working citizens!!

I came here to warn people that this could happen far more easily than they think, I did not come here to argue.... But I suppose I had to expect someone to get up on their soap box and "put the minions in place".

Done..
 badge73
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/7/2010 4:55:27 PM

arrogant pricks who drive so far up your arse that if you touch your breaks they ram into the back of you..........

have you been dreaming again mizphitz??
 Strider886
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/8/2010 1:27:31 AM
Seems to be a lot of people reading only what they want to read...... The written equivalent of hearing only what you want to hear.
Which is it not the very definition of ignorance? and if arrogance and ignorance are said go hand in hand, then well...... I'ts not looking good.

Stepping sideways slightly.... In 1999 a film called The Matrix was released and while people may love or hate the film, the under lying story behind all the crazy special effects is of a society maintained by human ignorance, the ignorant unwillingness to see things for what they really are, not just being unaware of, but actually choosing to ignore the truth and choosing to carry on with their meaningless existences regardless.

In this sense the film was closer to reality than you would think..... It can of course be written off as a total fiction, but even fiction has it roots in reality. Perhaps I look more deeply into things, perhaps I ask more questions, perhaps I take an interest in everything around me, perhaps I walk around with an open mind... I grew up wondering if other people thought about the same things as deeply as I do, the truth is that most of them don't. Im not a conspiracy theorist, but don't simply believe whatever is popular to believe.

Im used to being kicked down for being different... In my school years I just kept myself to myself to avoid trouble, but in my early 20's I decided that enough was enough! I will be myself, I will not hide away in a corner, I will speak my mind and ignorant people simply don't like me for it, I bring up too many home truths and I tell these people what they don't want to hear.
Yeah I get it wrong sometimes, but admitting that and taking action on that only makes me stronger. If not for people like me, people willing to truly think "outside the box" (and I don't mean reorganising desks in the office) we wouldn't have half the technology we have today, we'd all be living in the dark age's.

This ain't the school playground any more..... I asked you King/Queen of nothing, where's your crown?

Cargy.
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/8/2010 3:29:37 AM
The OP's original description doesn't help, but it surprises me how many drivers - probably very safe and experienced ones at that - just don't get how this scam works.
 Strider886
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/9/2010 1:33:04 AM

So BMW X5 owners would be the spawn of Satan then.............................................................?!

When they drive through a blind bend on the wrong side of the road (thinking he was driving a sports car), on a narrow country lane and nearly hit a Ford Fiesta with 3 young children in the back..... Yeah.

See I used to live in an area full of people who thought they were better than everyone else, most had 2 or 3 "prestige" cars parked outside their semi-detached 2 bed house. One even had a Bentley worth more than the family home.
It was all "kippers and curtains" though, the cars would be maybe 4 or 5 years old, but they'd put private plates on so that the neighbours couldn't tell. It was these wannabe's that drove around like total idiots.
The only people there who I could tolerate (and who were actually nice down to earth people), where those who truly did have huge amounts of money rather than huge amounts of debt.
 Strider886
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Warning UK drivers!
Posted: 4/9/2010 4:29:30 AM

I don't mind the owners people can drive whatever they want for me but here where we seem to have the worst roads in the UK which sink maybe 4x4 is more practical

If you mean pot-holes etc, it should be noted that the geometry of a cars supension is designed to withstand impact in a vertical direction.
The faster you go when you hit a pot hole, the more horizontal the force becomes effectively pushing the driven wheel backwards instead of upwards, but because 4x4's have much more suspension travel than a regular car and bigger wheels the impact force puts a much larger strain on the suspension components. At low speeds a 4x4 will be able to take uneven roads in it's stride, but at higher speeds it's more likely to suffer damage than a normal car.
World class rally cars (WRC) are just that.... Cars.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Warning UK drivers!