Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Weapon keyring?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 badge73
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

Its like they want to ban all weapons...which ofcourse is impossible kitchen knives, tools and such can all make very good weapons in the wrong hands. Thousands of baseball bats are sold all over the uk and yet nobody plays baseball....so what you think those bats are used for? Theres always somthing else you can and even if they ban somthing like say a knife which is illegal...doesnt stop criminals carrying them does it?

most of the time its just the coppers trying to add charges onto people for sod all. not that long ago i had a penknife confiscated, only a small type with bottle opener, mini screwdriver etc and told i could be charged with carrying a dangerous weapon. told the copper to get a life, then threatened to charge me with other things and told him ok go for it, and see what a decent brief says ....

its all quiet ironic, as when a builder i used to wear a utility belt with stanley knife and various tools on it and dibble would not say nowt.
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 6:40:46 AM
Difficult ones to answer as even penknives if used in the wrong hands becomes a weapon.

Dangerous dog act bans certain breeds but as we all know dogs if not handled in the right way can become bad dogs...

I think if you use a weapon ,any weapon, gun,kiife,crowbar in a criminal way ,then you should be punished...

As for a key ring being a weapon, I can see how that can be seen to be so by the police.. I have a keyring which has about 100 keyrings on and have in the past ( and would do so again)taken it out with me in case of attack. when on my own at night... Probably would not save me if attacked but it sure would hurt and mark the attacker.

We have to define the line between defence and intent...
 Strider886
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:01:22 AM
Kubotan

It's not an offensive weapon........ A "defense tool". I have one in my car and one attached to the saddle post on my mountain bike. Used correctly they can cause extreme pain with little or no lasting damage. They rely on the element of surprise, it's enough to stop an unsuspecting attacker, but you wouldn't go mugging old ladies with it!!

Women in the US are encouraged to carry them and you can even walk through airport security with one in the UK and in the US as long as it's attached to a keyring. Sounds like the Police made a f**k up and can't admit it.

What about similar shaped items?
It's the same size and shape as a Maglite Mini (2xAA) torch and I have one of those on my person most of the time. Offensive weapon my arse....

Incidentally I also have a Maglite (2D cell) torch in the glove box, the smaller C cell version of this thing was banned for use in a number of Police and security forces across the world because of it's lethality when used as a baton.... But are you going to arrest me for carrying a torch in my car now?

--------- Edit ---------

Reading up on that case, I may just ditch the Kubotans and replace them with the Maglites.

Cargy.
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:23:53 AM
Calling a gun a "home protector" wouldn't make it something other than a weapon.

Calling this a "defence tool", or a "mini-truncheon", or even a "happy fluffy bunny stick" doesn't change the fact it is designed as a weapon.

So, yeah, ban the bloody thing. The less weapons around in this messed up country, the better.
 Strider886
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:33:34 AM
Yeah it's "tickbox Britain" again.

The Kubotan used to and I thought still was saved from this idiocy by being a keyring.

Experts in self defense will tell you that anything can be used for self defense if you know how, even a mobile phone or a tube of smarties. So lets ban those too.....

I will always carry an item of some description which can be adapted for self defense, make one illegal and I'll pick something else. These days when the Police are more interested in catching people driving at 33 mph and thugs and chavs wander the streets carrying knives and machete's totally unchallenged, there's no way im going anywhere without something up my sleeve. It could save my life!!

I'd like to point out that it's the bureaucrats and not the Police that are at fault.
 Cargy.
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:48:22 AM

you read what i said originally?

I read it just fine! Your original question asked about banning weapons, this is a weapon, ergo it should be banned.

Using an everyday object as a makeshift weapon is impossible to eradicate - the Maglight and various other things have already been mentioned- I don't have a problem with that, and it's nigh on impossible to legislate against.

But we, as a society, can legislate to keep the number of purpose-designed weapons in circulation to a minimum.
 Strider886
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:50:45 AM

No, a knife is a kitchen implement. It becomes a deadly weapon with intent when you carry one which is illegal.

Or when you wave one from behind your kitchen window, at a gang of yobs who've invaded your back garden, just ask Myleene Klass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/10/myleene-klass-knife-intruders
 badge73
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 7:54:23 AM
the law is soooo dodgy and imho not very clear, agree with what was said about targets as the good people are seen as easy victims and points for the police. i would not blame anyone for carrying a potential weapon as at the end of the day its about risks to themselves, and quite rightly has been said about the intent.

if you go round the average public house you will find cues, pool balls and of cause glasses which can be used by anyone. i dont agree with everyone carrying around large knives or baseball bats but its down to common sense. what people should be asking is why are people doing this? after all the government tell us crime is coming down .....

when an old friend was being threatened by her ex the police told her not to do anything if he turned up on her doorstep .... oh great advice, when they turn up hours later and find her battered body. i just told her to keep a carrier bag with a couple of tins of beans in it and swing it.
 Strider886
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 8:24:41 AM
Next they will have to ban boxers or anyone who does martial arts from walking the streets or chop off their hands and feet.
Ironic that the government who make the laws also think its ok to have nuclear armaments as a means of defence.

We only keep nukes because if we didn't have them, we'd be squashed by any country that did. It's not about how you use it, it's about how you don't use it.

hmmm since when was a shield replaced by a sword to defend ones self?

Not sure what this means..... The device in the OP is nothing more than a 6 inch long alloy rod. Not pointed or even sharp..... It works by forcing your strength into a single contact point, the impact leaves a small bruise and can temporarily disable entire limbs (feels like smacking ur funny bone really hard).
It can also be used to restrain an attacker.
 Cargy.
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/8/2010 12:13:03 PM
I find it quite amusing that when someone doesn't like a rule or a law they just throw in 'pc gone mad' or 'pc malarky' without having a clue what it actually means.

I tell you it's madness gone politically correct!!

Strider886
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 1:10:11 AM
This thread has gone mad.....
 Strider886
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 4:01:47 AM

the country is going with violent gangs of youths and weapons and the police are doing nothing about it.

I agree, but the Police themselves aren't actually to blame... They do as they are told and they are told to focus on simple crime which can be fully resolved in a very short space of time:

Was this guy speeding?
yes... send him a fine, case closed...

as opposed to

Is this kid carrying a knife? yes/no
Did he just stab this other kid? yes/no
Is he of ethnic minority? yes/no
Will we get media backlash if we search and arrest him? (see above comment)
Is it efficient to spend a month on a case which won't generate more than a slap on the wrist? NO

The system prevents the Police from tackling real crime because all it's interested in is statistics.
 Cargy.
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 7:07:16 AM
All the above quotes taken from a thread that's not 2 pages long...... Now what was that song about "England's green and pleasant land?"

Not so much Jerusalem, and more the Gaza Strip!
 Jo van
Msg: 39
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 7:50:16 AM
I have a mini Swiss Army penknife on my keyring, it has scissors, a nail-file/screwdriver, toothpick, and tweezers... I don't know if it's illegal or not.
I don't know much about this weapon, other than it serves no other purpose, than as a weapon.
From the way some posters have described it, you would think that the police have suddenly made it legal to carry guns, knives, machetes, and pi-bull terriers, baseball bats and the rest, while they concentrate all their efforts on these little 'coshes',
They haven't.
This isn't some "PC" move, or some "Health and Safety" gone mad issue.

As you rightly say, anything CAN be used as a weapon, so why do we need to allow something that can't be used for "anything else"?
It's a weapon.
It's "banned"
I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference, to anything, but they had to "decide", and they have, and I think they got it right.
If I was 16 today, I would probably be a chav. In 1969, I was a skinhead. All 16 year-olds think they're "hard", there's really nothing to be scared of.
There's less violence today than there was in any town center in 1968 if there was a football match on.
Teddy boys carried Razors, and knuckle-dusters in the 50's, "Greasers" carried bikechains in the 60's. Mod's (Not these ones!!) used anything 'handy'.
There's nothing new.
Just adolescent "bumping heads" and "rutting" for "breeding rights", and group status. It's always gone on, it probably always will....
 badge73
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 8:04:13 AM
I have a mini Swiss Army penknife on my keyring, it has scissors, a nail-file/screwdriver, toothpick, and tweezers... I don't know if it's illegal or not.

according to the police it is jo, thats the same thing i had on my keyring and they tried to confiscate of me. the only reason i was not charged over it was because i played up about getting a brief, and as i fix and set up computers whats my other option? carry a screwdriver set and stanley knife around!!

its the way the police are changing, years ago coppers were a lot harder and had more common sense .... coppers now a days would rather pick easy targets.

edit vvvv i would demostrate the tweezers on them jo, by pulling their nose hair as hard as possible then wiping them on their shirt just for good measure! lol
 Jo van
Msg: 41
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 8:13:29 AM

according to the police it is jo, thats the same thing i had on my keyring and they tried to confiscate of me. the only reason i was not charged over it was because i played up about getting a brief, and as i fix and set up computers whats my other option? carry a screwdriver set and stanley knife around!!

In that case, Badge, I will get a doctor's note, to say that I have to carry it at all times, because my nasal hair grows so fast, that there is a real danger of choking, so I need the scissors.....
If they try to take it away, I will threaten them with the tweezers... (Zircon-encrusted...?)
 Cargy.
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Weapon keyring?
Posted: 4/9/2010 8:18:41 AM
If they try to take it away, I will threaten them with the tweezers...

Surely the toothpick has a more effective point?!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Weapon keyring?