Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What's for Dinner?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justwant2no
Msg: 1
What's for Dinner?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I am about at my wits end trying to come up with varied and tasty meals for my family. My daughter would eat nothing but pasta if permitted and when asked what he'd like for dinner any given day my SO's pat response is 'Whatever you make will be delicious.' OK, I get that that's a compliment - but really doesn't address the issue, now does it? I swear, on more chicken and I'll sprout wings. Beef may be 'what's for dinner' but I'm about ready to mooo! And I've grilled, bbq'd and stuffed enough pork to sprout a snout!
I actually stood in the meat department at the grocer's yesterday and polled people - most were in full agreement; they were sick of coming up with ideas too.
So my question to the forum is - What's for dinner?
As for me: last night was stuffed pork chops, the night before - chicken florentine, prior to that was london broil on the grill and for tonight, I'm thinking chicken marsala... but I'm so sick of chicken!!
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 2
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/19/2010 1:05:10 PM
I feel your pain. Something simple I'm doing tonight is my own version of kabobs. I marinate some beef tips in a mix of melted butter, worchestershire sauce and season salt, then slice zucchini, and yellow squash. I don't have the patience or desire to slide everything onto kabob sticks, so I just throw all that together in a grilling basket, with some chunks of vidalia onion and cherry tomatos, grill it, and serve it with rice. It's a big hit around my house, and relatively simple.

There is a woman named Leanne Ely who runs a website called SavingDinner.com, and she is always full of great nutritious ideas. I'm not sure if she still does it, but she used to have a weekly menu mailers service that contained a weeks worth of varied, nutritionally complete meal ideas, along with recipes and even a premade shopping list for that weeks meals. I found that helpful at times. and if your family is open minded at all (mine really wasn't) you can try to squeeze some meatless entrees in here and there. It helps add some variety into the mix, keeps the grocery bill down, and some people believe there are a lot of health benefits to be had by cutting down on the amount of meat in our diets. If that interests you, try http://www.meatlessmonday.com/why-meatless/
or
http://www.homeeverafter.com/menu-plan-meatless-meals-vegetarian-recipes/.
Hope that's helpful. Enjoy your day!
 Dovelett
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/19/2010 1:42:58 PM
Grilled whole chicken -split in half -remove both wing parts make them lay straight
by slitting at joints n slit at joints on chicken for chick to lay flat. Remove excess fat at any given places.

Season chicken n wings both sides with~

dried chives even under what ever skin is left
garlic granular to Ur taste
salt n pepper to taste
Monterey seasoning to UR liking

bottom side sprinkle lightly with cayenne pepper

Set in refrigator 1 to 4 hours before grilling.

Grill- turning often -not to burn but enhance flavor n to golden in color.
This is moist n delicious

Brown rice with jalapeno diced n onion mixed
 raxarsr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/19/2010 3:12:25 PM
make a mac and cheese cassarole with smokey ham in it.........then theres seafood..........foil packets are the easiest and delicious.....

big square of foil.......place 6........8 spears of asparagus in the center.....small handfull of sliced mushrooms on top of that,,,,,add some finely juillened carrots.....lil salt n pepper..........then lay the fish fillet.[or shrimp].........on top of the veggies........lil salt, pepper and old bay......pinch or 2 of dill AND rosemary........then slice a lemon see thru thin and cover the fish........close up the foil..but before sealing...add 4 tablespoons of good white wine and a splash of vermouth......seal it tight.bake at 350 or toss on the grill for 15....20 min.......healthy AND delicious

how about pork [or chicken] and saurkraut in the crockpot?

maybe try a different style of cooking?.........like pa dutch.......or aisian?

shoot.....make "breakfast" for dinner......like pancakes and sasauge......or french toast...........or big "everything" ommelettes

one thing that mom did when i was growing up that everyone loved was roasting a turkey.........kinda a mini thanksgiving meal.......not as extravagant........but roast turkey, stuffing and gravey is always good
 Belle Requin
Msg: 5
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/19/2010 3:37:59 PM
Turkey breast instead? Bison instead? Elk instead? Ham instead? Eggs instead? Fish?

I can buy turkey scallopini at my grocer. You could fill it with spinach, swiss cheese, and some seasoning. (I then top mine with a slather of mayo, more cheese, and more seasoning).

Bison steak or burgers are great.

Elk can make a nice stew.

Ham goes wonderfully with a garlicky cheese sauce on pasta.

Quiche is fantastic whichever recipe you choose.

I don't eat seafood, but other people do...

And, if you do a hearty soup, it sometimes doesn't have the same feel as a 'beef' or 'chicken' dinner.
 smartypants24
Msg: 6
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/19/2010 5:38:33 PM
Brocolli/ham/cheese fritatas for dinner tonight...5 bean chili for dinner tomorrow...

5 Bean Chili
-2 can/jar of pasta sauce
-4 peppers
-2 onion
- 2 small pkg mushrooms
-1 lb beef
-5 10-12 oz cans of beans of your choice, drained of fluids, rinsed if desired (rinsing/draining reduces sodium content)
-chili powder and fajita seasoning (salt free) to taste
-3-5 cloves garlic

Mince the garlic, saute in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the beef, scramble fry until browned. Drain off the fat in a collander. Chop the onions, peppers and mushrooms to your taste (I like to process them so the chili is smooth - the same can be done with the pasta sauce). Add the veggies, beans and seasonings to the chili. Add enough water to reach a consistency you like (I added about 2-3 cups water). Simmer for about 30 minutes and serve. Makes 10 very generous servings.
 spark_in_the_dark
Msg: 7
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/19/2010 9:41:38 PM
I'm noticing a lack of seafood in your list of foods. Not sure how fresh mussels or lobster are in your neck of the woods, but frozen fish is still usually pretty good in most recipes.

Honey Salmon:
Serves 4

Mix 2 tbsp each honey, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, and grainy style mustard.
Marinate 4 salmon fillets (skin removed and thawed if using frozen) for up to 8 hours in the fridge, flipping occaisionally to ensure both sides are well coated.
Slice up 8 cherry tomatos into 1/4s.
Heat oil or crisco in frying pan over high heat, then reduce to medium heat. Add salmon, sear 1 minute per side, add tomatos, then cook an additional 4-5 minutes per side of fish till cooked through.
Serve with veggies and enjoy.

Variation: Soy sauce may also be used instead of worchestershire.

Ginger-Curry with Scallops:
Serves 2

Add 2 tbsp Madras curry paste and 1 tbsp ground ginger to a frying pan and heat over medium.
Add 250 g scallops (thawed if using frozen) and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add a can of coconut milk, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, till reduced to desired consistancy.
Serve over linguini noodles, rice noodles, or a bed of rice.

Variation: Strips of chicken may be used in addition to or in place of the scallops if desired.

Note: Ratio of curry paste to ginger to coconut milk should be adjusted to suit individual preferences, above quantities are to be used as a guideline only.

Citrus Ginger Tillapia
Serves 4

Sprinkle 4 tillapia fillets (thawed if using frozen) with ground ginger.
Coat frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high.
Add fish and sear 2 minutes per side.
Add to pan a half cup of water and enough unsweetened citrus juice (see note at end) to just cover fish. Cover pan and simmer 10-15 minutes till fish is cooked through and flakes nicely.
Serve hot with veggies. If desired pour a little of juice mixture over rice.

Variation: Any firm white fish may be used in place of tillapia.

Note: Unsweetened citrus juice can be any combination of lemon, lime, grapefruit, or orange juice. My personal preference is to use equal parts of lemon, lime and grapefruit juices.

For something lighter, smoked salmon is also a personal favourite of mine in both salad and sandwich form. Fresh smoked salmon is the best, but frozen isn't half bad either.
For a salad, top lettuce (leaf lettuce or spinach is best) with red onion, capers, smoked salmon, and the vinegrette of your choice. You may also wish to add any personal favourite veggies such as tomatos or peppers.
For a sandwich, toast rye bread, spread with cream cheese (low fat is perfectly acceptable), top with capers, red onion, smoked salmon, and any other veggies of your choice.

Other non-fish suggestions could be sausages (on the BBQ or with pasta), lamb, game (moose, deer, etc), or you could try going meatless for 1-2 dinners a week. Chickpeas work great in curry, try a bean and barley soup, or make a bean chili. How about making your own pizzas (everyone gets to make their own small one, or top their corner of a bigger one with the toppings they want).
 jojoaus
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/20/2010 5:05:58 AM
My recently moved out kid came over for dinner and as she is total-veg and I'm recovering-veg (eat little meat) we had vegetarian toad in the hole. I used veg sausages and a basic batter mix with quartered onions and quartered mushies. We had that with fresh beans and broccoli and roasted spuds. Probably a lil bit over full just now but it was delish!
 justwant2no
Msg: 9
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/20/2010 6:28:27 AM
Love the seafood foil packet idea - and the kabobless kabobs - I've got a top round roast I may just have to 'kabob'. And I always forget about breakfast for dinner - everybody loves waffles!
I have some tuna steaks in the freezer I wanted to try to make - I'd like to try something I had in a restaurant - seared with a wasabi crust but very rare - not sure how to replicate. Any ideas?
Thanks for the great ideas, keep em coming!
 jlc1210
Msg: 10
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/20/2010 4:43:36 PM
Tonight I had turkey meatloaf with buttered Brussel sprouts. Last night, it was pot roast with potatoes, carrots covered in gravy. I agree with blues49. You need to go more basic: pinto beans, cornbread and fried potatoes, salmon croquettes with mac & cheese and spinach, tacos. How about some type of meat cooked in the crockpot cooked in a bottle of bbq sauce?
 justwant2no
Msg: 11
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/21/2010 6:26:51 AM
justbunky - you reminded me of one of my favorites! It's a greek style pasta salad with lamb - peas, tomatoes, black olives, goat cheese, and a delicious roasted garlic dressing tossed with anglehair pasta (although I use farfalle - never been a big anglehair fan) ... I think it was out of my Weber Art of the Grill recipe book... Now that's inspiration!
I've never made salmon croquettes - I saw on a cooking show recently where the 'chef' swore you could use canned salmon and not tell the difference. . . I find that hard to believe. Anyone have experience with canned salmon and /or croquettes?
 bree_baby
Msg: 12
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/24/2010 9:29:31 AM
Today I decided to treat myself to some "comfort food" since I've been eating salads a good portion of this past week.
I also didn't want to undo the progress I've made and wanted to keep it comforting yet on the lighter side. Here's what I came up with:
I'm simmering a bag of armor meat balls in 3/4 can of hunts zesty/spicey spagetti sauce. (I'll portion out and freeze remaining for another time )
Later I will grill a thin slice of sicilian bread, top with some meat ball halves and sprinkle with a modest amount of italian cheese which I will melt under the broiler.
I also boiled two cups of whole wheat pasta, drained and cooled then added a handful of chopped black olives, tomatoes and sweet onion. Tossed that with about 1/4 cup of greek vinagerette then finished it off with approx. 2 T fresh parmesean cheese.
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/24/2010 12:27:26 PM
How do you cook the leg of lamb? Is it roasted uncovered and for how long? Could you use the same mixture you made to marinate the lamb to season the things you are roasting along side the lamb? I've never cooked lamb before but the few times I've tasted it I really liked it.
 jojoaus
Msg: 14
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/25/2010 2:38:00 AM
My dad gave me some young leeks from the garden today so dinner evolved around them. I made a leek/mushroom sauce and used that over baked herbed chicken breast, veggies and garlic mash. We had our first really cool evening so far so comfort food was in order!!
 justwant2no
Msg: 15
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/26/2010 7:03:37 AM
I'm just so happy to see no one advised Daynadaze to taint a lovely leg of lamb with mint jelly! Ugh! I could never understand that barbaric practice! The recipes above sound delicious - and lamb makes a wonderful stew as well!
Thanks for the inspiration all - I made shish-ka-bob last night over wild rice - delish!
It's a rainy miserable day today, so I'm thinking a nice chicken noodle casserole for dinner - my cheat is to pick up a rotisserie chicken on the way home.
Keep the ideas coming!!
I just picked up a George Foreman grill - thinking I could try my hand at paninis- any suggestions?
 mulligan69
Msg: 16
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/27/2010 8:11:49 AM
Ah, I so wish I liked lamb - just doesn't do it for me.

Grilling some skirt steaks 2nite w/a chimichurri sauce - oven roasted onions & vinaigrette - and potatoes au gratin.
 smartypants24
Msg: 17
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 4/27/2010 5:48:04 PM
Houstongirl2...I wrap them in parchment to bake, with a little olive oil drizzle, lemon juice, and some salt free greek/mediterranean seasoning, serve it with some seasoned rice and veggies...YUM!
 Ms_6Cs_QT
Msg: 18
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 5/17/2010 5:11:27 PM
Hi,
How about 4 layer lasagna casserole dish?
One layer is cooked ground beef with tomato sauce, one layer is cooked veggies (you pick them, dice it, stir-fry it, or steam it, add it), one layer is cooked diced chicken, your own style... last layer is ricotta cheese. Each layer has the lasagna noodle, shredded cheese.

Shepherd's Pie, is also another good dish.
Bottom dish, is cooked ground beef with tomato sauce, middle layer is veggies, again you pick, (carrots, corn, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans)
top layer is mashed potatoes...sprinkle with cheese...bake until ready..

Adding some broth cube cooking with rice or pasta adds flavor to it.
You can also add some saffron to the rice to add some flavor and color to the rice.
You can chop some nuts, fry lightly in a pan with a bit of oil... then add to salads, or with rice.

Stir fry your pasta dish and add some soy sauce to it and veggies, add chicken or any other meat you want.

You can add tandoori powder to your chicken....marinate it, by itself, or add yogurt, and fry in a pan..or bake in the oven..
You can add coconut milk, or yogurt, or cream to make a gravy sauce. Add some chopped tomatoes, and sauce to make it a butter chicken curry, or a chicken curry by adding some more spices in it, such as turmeric, garlic ginger paste, red chili powder, cinnamon powder, cardamon..
Adding some green chilies and chopped cilantro can add flavor and extra taste from the herb.

You can prepare soups from scratch;

in a pot, add a little bit of veg oil, or olive oil. chop an onion, dice it up...add to pot, add any other veggies you like, dice it up..and fry in pot for a few minutes on medium-high heat...
Add chicken or beef or veg broth cubes, and mash it into the veggies and onions, an then add water enough as you want.
Add spices, according to your own taste, salt, black pepper, white pepper, red chili powder, garlic ginger paste, and your own herbs.
Add some orzo, or tiny little pasta. Add diced meat, chicken or beef..or you can make it veg...
And cook on med-high heat until flavors are blended in with the soup, then enjoy with toasted buns, rolls, toast, or on its own.

veggies.
Grill up some veggies on your grill, chop them up, and drizzle with olive oil lightly, sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
 Ms_6Cs_QT
Msg: 19
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 5/17/2010 5:17:58 PM
also for the soup, if you like hot and sour soup, at the end you can add lemon juice or lime juice to give it that sour taste.
or add vinegar..and hot sauce to make it hot and sour soup.
and some soy sauce..

you can experiment, mix and match... use your imagination and think of ways.

put a story with the food.... tell your children about the secret ingredients that you put in it.

secret ingredients is; time, love, effort, and energy.
you can think of more...

like the soup I added grated carrots and fried the onions till they were almost light brown, to let my kids know that the soup was called Tiger's soup, the carrots and onions were the stripes of the tiger, eating the soup gave them strength like a tiger...

:)
enjoy!
 jojoaus
Msg: 20
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 5/22/2010 3:55:30 AM
Tonight I made leek and potato soup for one. Took all of 10 mins to prep, then it bubbled away til the spuds were cooked. Added some light milk, whizzed it up to my chosen consistency and scarfed it down. Easy, cheap and filling.
 Kitiara1970
Msg: 21
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 5/23/2010 6:53:07 PM
barbeque chicken pizza with carmalized red onions and pineapple chunks on my own homemade sourdough crust. YUMMMY.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 22
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 10/11/2014 6:29:18 PM
tonight, I'm eating EASY ... I have leftover coleslaw from yesterday ... slivers
of cabbage with a dressing of crushed pineapple, mayo, vinegar and sugar in
equal ratios, mandarin oranges, nutmeg, seasoned pepper and some miniature
marshmallows ...

with that, I've made a chicken rice veggie soup I've posted the recipe for before
under "chicken soup" ... it's super easy and I cheated by using a chicken breast,
water, spices, southwestern veggies and a can of chicken-rice soup as base ...

it's not quite soup weather yet tonight but ... it's what I had and sounded good
at the time!

I'm gluten intolerant, too ... but have discovered Betty Crocker's wheat-free
Bisquick ... using it last night, I made a biscuit with a bunch of mixed berries
inside ... YUMMY ... I saved half of it for tonight's dessert!
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 23
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 11/15/2014 9:01:36 PM
Tried to replicate the dipping sauce for The Lion and Rose Pub's sweet potato fries....
probably little like the original, but still quite good....
I didn't measure, so you'll have to experiment...

ranch dressing
black pepper
garlic salt
paprika
cayenne pepper
curry powder
 Molly Maude
Msg: 24
view profile
History
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 11/16/2014 10:26:15 PM
this afternoon, I rinsed some pinto beans, added water, brought them to a
boil and let them soak for a couple of hours ... everyone tells me that's not
necessary but it makes me happy, ok?

after soaking, I rinsed them a few times, added more water and brought to
a gentle simmer ... added onions, garlic and powdered mustard ... added 2
servings of pre-cooked chicken chorizo ... eventually cut the chorizo into
tiny little pieces and simmered the whole thing for probably another 2 hour ...

I made corn bread using my own unique recipe that includes flax meal, corn
meal, rice flour, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, flax milk, oil and an egg ...

put a chunk of corn bread in a bowl and ladled the bean mixture over ...
YUMMY ... it was purely wonderful!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 25
What's for Dinner?
Posted: 11/16/2014 10:38:32 PM
A really hearty, easy, and healthy dish is a "fortified" lentil soup / minestrone soup combo.
Take your favorite minestrone soup recipe and add a pound of steamed lentils to the mixture.

Optional is to add a few dashes of extra virgin olive oil plus a few shakes of delicious tumeric powder.
My personal suggestion is to add those things because they further boost the healthy features of that dish.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What's for Dinner?