Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Pennsylvania  > Are you afraid of people with disabilities?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cookie22222
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Are you afraid of people with disabilities?Page 1 of 1    
OP, I've been sitting here thinking - I have a disabled cousin (she was in a car accident as a child and has severe physical and also traumatic brain injuries)...I have done some work as an "aide" to a woman with Alzheimer's - and I don't know that people are necessarily afraid, although I'm sure some are. In both those situations - I have been out in public and have people be very kind to my cousin or my charge; I have had people be quite nasty also. My now deceased fiancee was ill; before his death many people assumed his unsteady gait was due to being drunk, and made remarks. I have also seen well-meaning people sort of charge up and want to "help". What I've learned from that is - if you want to help - ASK the person if they need the help, or even want it. You don't know.

People can be jackasses, and honestly as I sit here I wonder if you don't have it easier in a way - because if that is how they are, they show that side to you quickly and you don't waste your time on them.

I myself wouldn't be intimidated by a disability, although I would give second thought to someone who required a lot of care/assistance, or who was slowly getting worse/dying. I've been through enough of that I think...and I don't know that I'd have the moral fortitude to sign up for it again (it would be different to be with someone and have something happen down the road - you never know - but to sign up at the onset might be too much).
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Are you afraid of people with disabilities?
Posted: 6/25/2010 5:28:09 PM

He is an old guy like me

wow, 52's old? not too old for me, just a tad bit too far.

@op...don't let your disabilities get in the way of you finding love. if a guy can't accept you the way you are then they're not worth it. be true to yourself and don't expect anything less. he's out there, just give yourself some time and he'll find you.
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2011 11:36:36 PM
Here is ,my thoughts on this " you are only as disabled as you make yourself " Keep on getting yourself out into the dating pool (ok no deep end) J.k , there are allot of guys out here who will and can look past what most call a disability
 rhudson7650
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2012 8:15:37 PM

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone out there is afraid of people who have disabilities? I ask this because I have a physical disability called Cerebral Palsy. I use a walker to get from one location to the next. I have been on this site for a long time, and I have noticed that every time I say that I have Cerebral Palsy, it scares people off. BUT if I delete it, and just say that I use a walker, I tend to get more messages. It's just weird to me because I thought being honest and straightforward would be my best bet. But it hasn't worked out that way quite yet.

I've just really noticed that the word disability and Cerebral Palsy really sends people packing, and that leaving it out, and letting people figure it for themselves seems to be a more comfortable approach in regards to looking for a guy. It's almost like the less I put about myself the better. Yes? No? Are people with disabilities really that scary?? Just wondering...and I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks all!

Simple plain ignorance on the people who avoid you because of your disability. can you tell me more about yourself?

Is this the name you use on your profile. This is the screen name I use on mine.
 Himalayacool
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2012 2:12:31 PM
No, I am not afraid of people with disabilities, but many are. I guess for a lot of reasons which I won't get into because I think there have been enough replies on that. I do think you might have better luck though on a dating disability site. You are a young, good looking man, don't give up. You have beautiful eyes. You are 100% right about anyone could end up in a wheel chair and I think that knowledge might be part of what scares some people. Good Luck, Handsome. Hugs, Del
 ARTSYLADEEEE
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2012 12:21:47 PM
on the other hand, be leery of people who prey on the lonesome and disabled.
Show ALL Forums  > Pennsylvania  > Are you afraid of people with disabilities?