Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Motorcycle Roadtrip Worries      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justwant2no
Msg: 1
Motorcycle Roadtrip WorriesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My SO and I are planning a roadtrip - upwards of 1500 miles! It's a cruising bike, very comfortable, but truth is, I've never been on a long bike ride - and this will be a week. I am worried I will be A) Sore and miserable after day one - and/or - B) Bored out of my mind sitting on the back of a bike for 6 hours a day.
Looking for feedback from someone who has experience on long bike rides. I've tried to plan the trip starting out slow, just a couple hundred miles the first day. .. and already told him if I'm miserable I'd fly home day three. . . I want this to be a good experience - but I'm more than a bit nervous.
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 2
Motorcycle Roadtrip Worries
Posted: 4/23/2010 2:44:23 PM
Hello OP,
I was hoping you would get some good responses here, as I'd be curious to hear them as well. I love to ride, But I admit, I'm a fairweather rider, and hate to be out if it's raining or too cold, etc. A trip like that would make me nervous too, so I don't have anything valuable to offer here. Still, I hope it's a fun trip, and the weather is kind to you.
 justwant2no
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/26/2010 10:27:30 AM
Oh well, I guess there aren't as many 'road trippers' as I thought! I'll just have to make the best of it. Perhaps I'll post of my adventures.
Actually, they just started doing public service announcements on the radio about the 'dangers of motorcycles' - people talking about loved ones killed in bike crashes - very disconcerting! Oh well, you only live once, eh?
 Dateabledad61
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2010 5:34:39 PM
If i can give you one tip, it would be stay off the highways, nothing is more boring than straight long roads constantly at 110 k per hour, get to the secondary roads that twist and turn thru the intersting countryside that is seldom seen by the masses driving in thier saftey cocoons.

You should stop every 2 hours (fuel tank will make you anyway) because you will have a sore ass.
Dress warm, wind chill is something that creeps up on you.

Enjoy the trip, going that bit slower on the side roads let you talk over the wind noise and engine noise.

Danger of motorbikes, most crashes on cruisers (not sports bikes) is caused by cars not paying attention and hitting you, but far more people die from BORING LIVES.

Get into it and you will love being on the road!

Cruising Australia
 justwant2no
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/27/2010 8:47:33 AM
Thanks Datable! Good advice. We are planning a good portion off the main highways. Even stopping at Graceland (never been an Elvis fan, but who can drive through Memphis without seeing Graceland?). I'll recheck the routes to see if we can avoid more highway.
 Kelso
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 10:01:47 PM
First, OP, it's great to hear about your upcoming trip.

Your comfort level depends on a few things, but first is the bike itself. With two people (and two peoples' worth of luggage), it's nice to have one of the bigger bikes. Two people on a smaller cruiser isn't "un-doable," it's just more comfortable on a larger bike.

The first thing that usually gets changed on a bike, especially with long trips in mind, is the seat. There are many after market seats that are a lot more comfortable than the bike's original seat. If you think you may make more long distance trips with the same bike, it's worth investing in a really good seat.

If I've done the math correctly, 1500 miles in seven days is a comfortable four hours of driving per day on average. If you're not in a hurry to get anywhere, that's a decent amount of time each day. More than that and your butt starts to let you know. If you were each on your own bike, I'd suggest more hours per day is fine. But with two of you, on the first trip, four hours sounds about right.

I'll echo the great advice you've received in msg 4, and add that as well as dressing for the warmth, dress also for safety. I learned early that the reason bikers wear leathers is that it saves your skin if you ever have to lay your bike over (go into a skid), and you always want to choose a skid over a collision. Our bodies often come through skids if we're wearing the right protective gear (leathers or the 'high tech' stuff of today). Our bodies rarely survive a crash into something solid. If you're not driving, then you don't have control of the bike, and you never have control over what other drivers are going to do. All you can do is protect yourself as best you can, in case the worst happens.

One other thing that can make a trip unpleasant is bad weather. Either take along some good rain gear, or plan not to ride in bad weather if that is possible (but know that you'll still 'get caught' in at least one sudden shower). Again, rain and wind don't have to stop the trip, it's just a whole bunch more comfortable riding in nice weather. Pack your gear in something waterproof as well, if you can (waterproof, preferably hard cased, saddle bags).

I'll also strongly agree with "getting off the main roads." Ridin' Interstates is fine, but ridin' through rural America is an absolute joy. When the two of you see a neat place to stop, it's so much easier to do so if you're not on an interstate, or major highway. You'll run into the locals in the area, and don't be surprised if you spend several minutes talking to someone about your trip, every time you stop. Many of us ride, and many more out their wish they could. You'll meet a lot of both kinds on your trip.

Make sure you can communicate with each other. If you are both wearing helmets that make it hard to talk to each other, than use hand signals, or shoulder taps to communicate. Car rides are made great because of ones ability to talk with each other. You need to be able to do the same on the bike.

The Boorman/McGregor films are "must see" dvds, not for "how to do a long distance trip" (they spent a ton of cash on their trips - and you don't need to) but just to get a feel for how incredible it is be one of the select few that gets to do what you're about to do. Be careful though, those films are addictive :) .

And yes OP, we do only live once, and as you know, we don't all get to grow old. So make the most of your opportunities while you can. It's about memories, experiences, and friendships along the way. You won't be bored!

All the best and enjoy the ride!
 justwant2no
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/28/2010 9:46:17 AM
Thanks Kelso. That's what I'm talkin about! The bike is a Road King, and it does have an aftermarket seat, saddle bags and a windshield - so we should be able to talk to some degree - although I already was working on some hand signals ;-)
I've got leathers, and raingear, although I'd opt out of riding in the rain whenever possible. I will definitely have to watch some of those films. Thanks for the recommendation minika.
We've got a day or two on the Blue Ridge Parkway (Skyline Drive) - which should be an incredible drive. I'm getting excited now. Thanks for all the positive feedback!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/2/2010 11:18:54 PM
Roadking.... make sure you adjust the rear air suspension for weight of cargo and passenger, take a weekend trip with that set up as a test. Be sure to hydrate, and check your routes again, I know most of TN was FLOODED
 tjrogelio
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2010 3:11:12 AM
I did a 7,000 mile without a windshield....get a windshield.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/10/2010 6:30:21 PM

Have you ever seen Long Way Round or Long Way Down? It's about Charley Boorman & Ewan McGregor doing motorcycle road trips.

Actually it is about them doing a 19,000-mile (31,000 km) journey from London to New York on motorcycles, through some of the most challenging terrain on the plant for a motorcycle to traverse.

...Might give you an idea what it's like.

Great story and an epic journey but in no way would be anything like what the OP is asking.
 justwant2no
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/12/2010 8:42:55 AM
Back from our trip (1,900 miles) and had a blast! Lots to see. A certifiable adventure. We took it easy, little over 300 miles per day, except for one that was nearly 400. I was a bit nervous before, but it all came off without a hitch. It was actually quite romantic at times. Looking forward to our next adventure!
 normaldude
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2010 6:57:51 AM
where did you ride to? have any tips or storys>? Do, s and Dont,s?
 x-dreamly-fun
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/10/2010 1:11:49 PM
I ride sport bikes, and often do over 1,000 km's in a single day (over 600 miles). When I go on trips, it isn't uncommon for me to exceed 4,000 km's in a 5 day period. I pack for the ride.
-clothes
-rain gear
-spare gas can if traveling in uninhabited areas
-tire patch kit
-some basic tools
-communication (cell phone)
-some food and water
-flashlight
-lighter
-first aid kit
-duct tape

Most everything I can put in my back pack and a tail bag that fits on the back seat of my bike.
 Sweet_Sensations
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2010 2:22:47 PM
*snickering*

If you are worried about a mere 1500 km.s then it probably best you don't go.

I do many road trips on my own and the best thing to have is common sense.

1500 km.s really isn't that much.. you are overthinking it.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/18/2011 11:58:56 PM
where are the pics !?

try 1500 miles on unpaved road and two weeks to do it ! life changing.
 Seakytten
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/27/2011 8:35:18 AM
A few years back my then boyfriend and I took a bike trip from Florida to West Virginia to see his son and it was the best trip I think I've ever been on in my entire life!!! We would ride for about 4 or 5 hours with frequent stops to eat then we would find a place to camp for the night...god, it was so awesome!! As far as my butt goes..he fitted my seat with a thick sponge covered by a sheepskin which took care of the soreness. It was the rain that got to me. Rain feels like little bullets hitting your body when you're cruising the highway at 70 mph. We brought rain suits with us but it's still a miserable feeling to be that wet and 'beat up' after a thunderstorm. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Do yourself a favor and go! I still think about that trip every now and then when I pass a biker on the highway. :)

Kytten
 knollinger
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/21/2011 4:44:27 PM
After 150k/mls in the US I can say it the best way to vacation; did trips by myself and in groups up to 20+ . As stated here before take little walk breaks when stopping for gas and you will enjoy this trip.
I'm leaving from Jersey to a BBQ north of Atlanta for the 4th July and then to the Space Shuttle launch on Friday (hopefully) in Florida for about 2600mls total...can't wait.
Good luck on your trip
 mateo45
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:46:37 PM
Well, by now, I hope you had a great trip and you're ready for more! As mentioned previous, try not to stick to the interstates, unless you're needing to make "time" somewhere. I usually try to do a mix of highway and local roads, especially thru the more out-of-the-way small towns and such.

Also, don't forget to meet & greet as many of the locals as you can. I've found that most folks are generally predisposed towards friendliness, or at least curiosity, towards bikers who appear to be loaded up for a "trip".

I recall once while traveling through the flatlands of KS with a couple buddies, being passed by a pickem-up that pulled ahead of all of us. Then I noticed the passenger side window being lowered with a hand extending out, looking like maybe it was gonna throw something at the lead biker. Oh-oh! But nope, they were just handing him a friendly can of beer, and slowly proceeded to drop back and hand another one to each of the rest of us....all of us, just a bunch of strangers riding along out in the middle of nowhere!
 gypsyfyre
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:00:34 PM
Gel Seat
Leave your worries behind, no matter how bad things can get, it can always be worse
Make pit stops fun and engaging
Know your routes, know how to ride as a team, who's leading, road rules etc
Keep healthy bike maintenance
Keep healthy mind with positive goodness
Keep healthy body
I drink more electrolited drinks instead of straight water to sustain hydration and not pee as much, not sure it works
Keep a fattie somewhere dry and safe ;))
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/12/2012 6:36:50 PM
Splurge on the whirlpool suite for your nighttime accomodations...your b*tt will thank you.
 Whamm8110
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:28:59 PM
Hmm, I'd do it the SMART way.. If you've never ridden over 500 miles in one day.. Best to fly out. Meet him at destination. then ride the week your there. fly back home. He may not like it. But better than arguing for 3 days while on the road.
best to enjoy your time together at the destination!
 hdrk2003
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/4/2013 9:51:19 PM
i take a trip every year. average 3000- 3500 miles in 8-9 days. key is to stop every hour and relax for 10-20 minutes. drink plenty of fluids. if seat not comfy get a gel seat to put on it. good riding, be safe
 Allan Anger
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/8/2013 9:20:08 AM
why sit on the back,,get one and sit on the front.
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Motorcycle Roadtrip Worries