Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) sardines?? wth???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) sardines?? wth???Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My doctor told me to knock off the sardines because my potasium level was too high.

I believe the recommended max level of omega-3's in the daily diet is 1,000 mg, as anything over a 1,000 mg was not usable.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 3
view profile
History
The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) sardines?? wth???
Posted: 4/28/2010 6:56:36 PM
Sardines are loaded with calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese. They are also a great source of nonmeat vitamin B12. In fact, one tin of sardines provides 150 percent of the Daily Value.

Sardines are also a great source of selenium.

But sardines’ biggest health benefit lies in their high concentration of omega-3-fatty acids, which reduce triglyceride levels. Besides fish such as salmon, sardines are one of the best sources of omega-3s.

The advantage of getting omega-3s from sardines is that their smaller size makes them less likely to have accumulated toxins such as mercury, dioxane and PCB.

I think sweet potatoe mash and sardines would be the perfect super food meal.

In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fibre content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato.(NCSPC)

Sweet potato varieties with dark orange flesh have more beta carotene than those with light coloured flesh, and their increased cultivation is being encouraged in Africa, where vitamin A deficiency is a serious health problem. Despite the name "sweet", it may be a beneficial food for diabetics, as preliminary studies on animals have revealed that it helps to stabilize blood sugar levels and to lower insulin resistance

jojoaus
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2010 3:37:43 AM
Well there you go. The super-food I should eat but dont (cuz I loathe sweet veg!!) is sweet potato. Wish I liked them
I don't like sweet ANYTHING much though... including desserts. I have always wanted to try fresh sardines cooked in the Portuguese way... butterflied and in a rich tomato sauce. I love oily fish...
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2010 8:09:49 AM
BTW, an elevated potasium level can cause a heart attack.

BTW-2, the FDA specifically forbids the sale of non-prescription potasium suppliments with 100 or more mg of potasium.

YMMV
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2010 6:09:56 PM
I wonder what the shelf life of a tin of sardines is?

Wiki: 2- 3 years.

We've always had a few tins of sardines, salmon in the pantry for emergencies, ie) snowed in or too sick to shop.

Drifting might be right....my goodness perhaps we should all be stockpiling sardines!
I for one certainly don't want my manfolk to go without!

Sardines still maintain to be one of the cheapest items on the shelf, so I am sure the price of imported is not going to break the bank.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301342
 arwen52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2010 9:45:19 PM

They are also a great source of nonmeat vitamin B12.

All animal products contain B12. Sardines are fish and fish are animals. All animal flesh, eggs, and dairy products contain B12.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2010 4:11:30 PM
Any description about the Maui Onion for us?

I've had Walla Walla Onions, from down the road in Walla Walla, Washington State, but never seen or heard of Maui onions and are they readily available?
I'm in Canada on the wetcoast.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2010 7:10:35 PM
You are absolutely correct young lady..the geeks a A&M developed the Texas sweet...to mwhich the Vadalia is a off shoot..so to speak.

I love sardines...

large diced tomato
diced cuccumbers
diced pickel
cubed cheese(cheddar)
DICEDyellow(1015 or 1025) TEXAS ONIONS
avacado
raw serano chili
 Rythmn
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2010 12:41:36 AM
my dad of eastern european descent always made sardines in olive oil, mushed with chopped onion and red wine vinegar --then spread on saltine crackers. you can substitute lemon juice and salt to taste. the other one was herring, also in a can with tomato sauce. it just looked like a larger sardine. he put chopped onion in that one and not sure if he added the vinegar or lemon--i think he used lemon! plus you salt to taste, but first taste the sardines as some are saltier than others to start with.

you either love it or hate it! but, a cheap way for healthy fish.
 Vannili
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2010 11:26:42 PM
I love sardines, cook as omellet with onions and tomatoes or just eat out of the can with chopped onion and white hot rice.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) sardines?? wth???