Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Poll: BP Oil Spill Response Rated Worse than Katrina      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MrLove45
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Poll: BP Oil Spill Response Rated Worse than KatrinaPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
yes your right republicans are giving him as usual 'unfair and unearned criticism of this disaster....but we sure as heck wouldn't expect anything less from the republicans
lets be real, even if President Obama put on a US Navy diver's outfit and went down below and fixed the well head with only a pipe wrench and duct-tape the republicans would not be happy....so of course we take their critcism with a grain of salt....

this problem can be traced to****cheney and the deregulations as well as BP nortorious disregard for the environment
 MrLove45
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Poll: BP Oil Spill Response Rated Worse than Katrina
Posted: 6/7/2010 4:56:23 PM
gosh I have to admit that I'm kinda teary eyed, first Helen Thomas is forced to retire after 60 years of service and for speaking what most people feel about Israel's treatment of the Palestinian people but also as reading how The Mad Fiddler seems to be 'gish' going moderate on us....say it isn't so ....
 cotter
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2010 7:05:50 PM
I don't understand the rhetoric of the whole thing when stating that the Gulf Oil Spill could compare to Katrina. That just doesn't compute with me. One is a man-made disaster and one is a freak of nature. (I trust I don't have to define which is which.)

In the case of the freak of nature, not being there for the majority of the people when that occurred sure did look a lot like "I don't give a sh1t about the poor people."

In the case of the man-made disaster, it seems to me it's about making the person (people/company) responsible for the disaster ... take responsibility and giving them a chance to make things right.

I do think that President OBAMA gave them too much time to make it right ... ie: fix it.

This is a time when having too much patience was not good. But getting all heated up and mouthy about it would not have solved the problem either.

Getting an immediate investigation started and promising that heads will roll would have gone down like oil, but also in the end will do nothing but cost us money and no one will allow the heads that need to roll ... to roll.

The previous administration's heads will not roll ... even though they need to.
 hard starboard
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2010 8:28:14 PM
Let’s face it. Any presidential response to events as catastrophic as Katrina and the Gulf
oil spill are going to seem woefully inadequate. As one who doesn’t obsess with comparing
such things, I can say that just from observation, the one thing the two events has brought
out is the blatant, unabashed hypocrisy of some people.

All the same, there's far less partisan division in concern about the spill's effects:
It's seen as a major environmental disaster by seven in 10 Republicans and three-quarters
of Democrats and independents alike.

I can’t believe there is any division at all. It should be 100% apparent to anyone that the
Gulf oil spill is a major environmental catastrophe. To not think so is either being
disingenuous or wallowing in blissful ignorance (and I’m hardly the environmental
activist). The fact that at least a quarter of the people don’t think so is disturbing.

(This post has been specially formatted to fit your screen)

bliss serendipity
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2010 1:52:33 PM

(This post has been specially formatted to fit your screen)

ah, thank you hard starboard. Am having major eye problems, and it has been extremely difficult to come here to read all. Hope other posters would do the same as you have done.

Bliss
 Metreau
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/9/2010 10:19:25 PM
Honestly, I don't know why BP just doesn't come on out and admit the obvious (IMO).....I think it's about time they just came out and said:

"Hello people, we are BP. And we don't know what the hell to do about the oil spill."

Also, I agree, even though the president didn't go postal (like I wish he would've), it might have been a good thing. In the previous post above mine (Message 14), it was pointed out why it was good that he didn't go about cursing out everyone involved; does anyone understand how much of a stigma is associated with people like Jeremiah Wright? The public really doesn't like to see an "angry black man", except for other angry black men.

I'm just saying......
 CountIbli
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/10/2010 2:37:45 PM

And lay the ever-loving boots to BP, for one, and fire everyone who dropped the ball on the government end. And further to that, prosecute everyone you possibly can...I don't think the phrase witch hunt would be too strong based on some of the bum kissing and boot licking I have heard that passed for resource management.

Obama should quit then because he accepted full responsibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28o4b7Bpco

While both men seemed to be at their heart, powerless figureheads manipulated by the bureaucracy...

In truth there's very little that they can do in these situations. The Constitution grants the government (and in particular the President) certains powers. What isn't granted it doesn't have. Of course, the American people are demanding that the government step in and fix this mess which amounts to rejecting the Constitutional system of governance and replacing it with a benevolent dictatorship.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/11/2010 11:17:09 AM
Remember all the celebs rushing in to throw concerts and benefits for the people of Haiti when the earthquake devastated their nation? It's funny (actually not funny more like sad) that no one is doing anything like that for the people of the gulf! The gulf is literally going to become the armpit of America.
 flyguy51
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/11/2010 2:49:52 PM

This is the same as saying, if someone gets drunk and wrecks their car, no one should ever drive a car again because something might happen

I don't see it that way. Just going by the passage you quoted from the article, it sounds more like not letting the driver get into another car until he has proven his sobriety.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2010 10:30:28 PM
Ya know, I never liked much at all about Bush,
and I'd still vote for Obama over any of the other
options we had to choose from, but in my mind
at least Katrina was just another stubbed toe for
Bush and while I do think Obama could have
handled and still could handle the spill better
than he has, in the end I doubt it would make
a big difference one way or the other.

What both events have in common has little
to do with either President. Rather they
speak to our American penchant for playing
the odds, whether on levy construction,
assuring ample redundancy in spill prevention,
or simply disaster preparedness.

We're a**** country, and in so many ways
it's all catching up to us. We can point
fingers from one party to the other but
in the end we have only ourselves to blame.

We're the voters (or non-voters) who send
the clear message to our elected officials
and the agencies they set up or neuter
that we'd rather beat the other guy or
fuss over petty differences than actually
assure that we're ready to cope with
the inevitable unexpected crises that
nature and human foibles will present us with.

I'd like to think this spill will serve as
a much needed wake up call, but I fear
it won't. There will be more crises, and
we won't be anywhere near as prepared
for them as a country with all the assets
and resources we possess should be.

Eventually we won't have all those assets
and resources any more, and maybe then,
once we've truly been humbled, we'll
bring a better set of priorities to how
we set up our government.

It's a painful period to be living through,
but an essential part of our maturation process.

I could be wrong, but that's my take.

Dave

p.s. This post edited to compensate for at
least one aspect of Markus' silliness....
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2010 12:03:37 AM
sheesh...forgot about the crazy censorship system - the ***** word rhymes with rocky and starts with a "c".....
 where4
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/15/2010 2:52:33 PM
Msg. 3:

Karma - it's a b*&^% isn't it?

Msg. 17 (same writer):

That said though, I won't even try to hide my schadenfreude.

Schadenfreude? Here's some schadenfreude for you, pal:

http://www.wpxi.com/video/23903531/index.html

But I'm sure $arahpac will be right on that one... Has that oracle tweeted from the mount yet? Have the robot-zombies opened their wallets yet?

Gee, could you imagine if the '08 election had turned out differently and the old dude had croaked from the strain? Now, that would've been a sad spectacle to watch. Would the patroness $aint of the Teabaggers have QUIT by now? We can only speculate. Is that other fruitcake in Kentucky, the other great $avior Dr. Paul, still complaining about Obama having his 'boot on the neck' of Big Business BP?

davidsauvignon
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2010 10:43:29 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/kyle-wingfield/2010/06/15/oil-spill-worse-for-obama-than-katrina-for-bush/

poll from left-leaning Public Policy Polling may prove nothing more than the notion that the present crisis is always the biggest crisis. But the result is nonetheless stunning:

Our new Louisiana poll has a lot of data points to show how unhappy voters in the state are with Barack Obama’s handling of the oil spill but one perhaps sums it up better than anything else — a majority of voters there think George W. Bush did a better job with Katrina than Obama’s done dealing with the spill.

50% of voters in the state, even including 31% of Democrats, give Bush higher marks on that question compared to 35% who pick Obama.

Overall only 32% of Louisianans approve of how Obama has handled the spill to 62% who disapprove. 34% of those polled say they approved of how Bush dealt with Katrina to 58% who disapproved.

Respondents were quicker to blame BP than Obama, which only makes sense. But quicker to disapprove of Obama’s handling of the oil spill than Bush’s handling of Katrina?

Well, at least amongst the people who live in the State where both of these events occurred/ing are concerned, Obama should bow to Bush the next time he's in his presence. He (Obama) just doesn't have a clue. He still thinks it's all about him. What a narcissistic idiot...with all due respect, of course.

~ds~
 Metreau
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/16/2010 11:56:19 AM
^^^^
If the President would've accepted help from the Saudis and other countries when it was offered, the "Fox News" types would have a FIELD DAY with that.

"Oh! He's getting help from them Arabs! He's paling around with the terrorists! And he's an angry black man!"

Again, damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. Everything he has had to deal with while in office has ALWAYS come down to that. This is the main thing I CAN'T stand about this president. And some of you have the nerve.....

Ronery1234
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2010 12:09:58 PM
It's just the nature of Republicans and Democrats to use whatever they can to bash the other. Saying one did better then the other when neither of them did much of anything seems kinda silly. I'm sure Obama could have done more, but don't forget Bush spent the day Katrina hit celebrating McKains birthday with him. There's really nothing to compliment about how either Bush or Obama handled Katrina or the oil spill. It's like saying a serial killer who killed 10 people is better then a man that killed 20. I'm NOT comparing the two men to serial killers, that's just the comparison that popped in my head.
 hard starboard
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2010 5:00:38 PM
^^ Sorry, but I didn't laugh even once.

M_G, I wouldn’t put much stock in the accuracy of the information in that time
-line report you were quoting in msg 35 @
http://oilspilldisasters.com/timeline-gulf-oil-spill-government-response-927982a
For instance, the items that you left out when quoting the activities of
Thursday, April 22:

_Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) with camera goes under water, confirms
no visible oil flow from the well.

_Chemical dispersants, intended to break up the oil slick, are readied.

First, I find it highly improbable that the oil we see gushing out of that well wasn’t
doing so from the moment the Deepwater Horizon hit the seabed. The ROV
“confirming” no visible oil flow is just not credible. Adding to that incredibility is the
need to ready dispersants if no oil is flowing.

And then in the activities for Wednesday April 28 you left out:

_At the White House, the bad news is discussed at a hastily called meeting in
the Situation Room. Obama is called and briefed on Air Force One, though the subject
doesn't come up during a discussion the president has with his traveling press pool a
short time later.

On top of that, if you scroll down to the bottom and see the sourcing of the article,
it lists: the White House (ahem), the Department of the Interior, (which houses the
MMS who we already know was asleep at the wheel), NOAA (who was the source of
the original, wholly inaccurate, 5000 barrels a day leak estimate that BP subsequently
latched onto) and some unnamed AP reporters who are likely just dutifully
regurgitating whatever the administration tells them.

It’s pretty clear that the extent of the calamity was being downplayed... at least initially.
 CountIbli
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/17/2010 9:06:43 PM

How many right wingers out there are publically pushing for waiving the Jones Act ? That limits what can be accepted legally, in this case.

This is the second time I've heard mention of the Jones Act in connection with the spill. I can't figure out the connection. The Jones Act prevents foreign ships from transporting goods between US ports. It also puts limits on how much foreign steel can be used in the repair of US ships. What the hell does this have to do with the cleanup?
 CountIbli
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/17/2010 9:13:58 PM

Rush got the ball rolling last week, when he claimed that President Obama "waited eight days" to deal with the spill. At the time, Media Matters pointed out that this was false; the administration immediately dispatched officials and the Coast Guard to the area to work on the response.

I wonder what Rush thinks the administration should be doing, within the confines of the Constitution.
 where4
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/18/2010 1:27:14 AM
Msg. 3:

Bush didn't cause Katrina either...

Granted. Katrina was a natural disaster.

Lo and behold:

It was notable that ... House Republican leaders John A. Boehner (Ohio), Eric Cantor (Va.) and Mike Pence (Ind.) referred to the spill -- caused by the explosion of an oil rig -- as a "natural" disaster.

WTF?

Here's the rest of that excellent article. (Pssssst - Note the free political pointers for all boneheaded political advisers and their congressional buddies who are having a helluva time lately.):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/17/AR2010061705992.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

Gulf oil spill puts industry-friendly Republicans in tight spot

By Karen Tumulty
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 18, 2010

Who says there's no such thing as loyalty in politics?

Rep. Joe L. Barton (R-Tex.), who has received more than $100,000 in campaign contributions from the oil industry during this election cycle, revealed Thursday that he may be the only person in America who believes that BP deserves an apology for the way it has been treated during the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Although Barton later retracted his suggestion that BP was the victim of a White House "shakedown" -- after House GOP leaders threatened to take away his position as ranking Republican on the Energy and Commerce Committee -- the episode showed the uncomfortable spot in which some Republicans find themselves.

This is not the moment to be seen as coddling Big Oil. The GOP leadership has laid out a set of talking points that spread blame in all directions -- toward the company, the White House and the regulators who looked the other way.

But some Republicans are having trouble bringing themselves to say anything bad about an industry that has been so good to them. It was notable that in their statement distancing themselves from Barton, House Republican leaders John A. Boehner (Ohio), Eric Cantor (Va.) and Mike Pence (Ind.) referred to the spill -- caused by the explosion of an oil rig -- as a "natural" disaster.

The oil industry "has deep pockets, and they have a long history of supporting Republicans," said political consultant John Weaver, a former strategist for John McCain's 2008 presidential campaign. "Like any kind of addiction, it's a terribly difficult thing to break."

To some Republicans, the defense of the oil industry has more to do with their belief in free enterprise and their wariness of regulation. The debate over drilling has been a core part of their argument for less government.This may not be the best moment to be making that argument, either.

For the GOP leadership, it hasn't been easy to get their people to stick to the script: Blame Obama, but scold BP. (The problem with message discipline is, it requires discipline).

It isn't just Barton. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) called the $20 billion escrow account a "redistribution of wealth fund." Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga) accused the Obama administration of "Chicago-style shakedown politics."

Sarah Palin has gone so far as to suggest that the real fault for the catastrophe in the gulf lies with the environmental movement.

On June 1, the former Alaska governor and former vice presidential nominee sent this message out on Twitter: "Extreme Greenies: see now why we push 'drill, baby, drill' of known reserves & promising finds in safe onshore places like ANWR [the Alaskan Natural Wildlife Refuge]? Now do you get it?"

If that kind of spin seems out of touch with public outrage, the GOP also risks falling out of step with parts of its own base. Among some evangelicals, for instance, there is a growing environmental movement. In a blog post the same day as Palin's Twitter fusillade, Southern Baptist theologian Russell Moore suggested that the oil spill should be the same kind of call to arms for conservative Christians as the Roe v. Wade decision establishing abortion rights was nearly four decades ago.

"For too long, we evangelical Christians have maintained an uneasy ecological conscience," he wrote. "Because we believe in free markets, we've acted as though this means we should trust corporations to protect the natural resources and habitats."

hard starboard
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2010 3:48:49 AM
Granted. Katrina was a natural disaster.

The hurricane was a natural occurrence. The failure of the levees was the man-made
disaster. The repair of the levees and rebuilding in the flooded zone will likely result
in a repeat of that disaster. In that case they didn't learn from their mistakes.
 CountIbli
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/20/2010 2:44:08 PM

Limitless greed and mindless deregulation... the "smoking guns and mushroom clouds" of our time.

It's not the greed and the deregulation. It's that the government isn't doing what it's supposed to do, but instead is doing what it's not supposed to do. The government's job isn't to protect businesses and their owners from the consequences of their own misdeeds, but that's exactly what corporate law does. That's also what most regulation does.
 hard starboard
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2010 6:40:54 PM
Posted in msg 37 on 6/17...

It’s pretty clear that the extent of the calamity was being downplayed... at least initially.

And now, three and a half months later...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/ap_on_sc/us_gulf_oil_spill

The Obama administration blocked efforts by government scientists to tell the public just how bad the Gulf oil spill could become and committed other missteps that raised questions about its competence and candor during the crisis, according to a commission appointed by the president to investigate the disaster.

See how transparent the Administration is?

This little bit from the article is so reminiscent of the 'Climategate' thread.

The documents also criticize Carol Browner, director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy, saying that during a series of morning-show appearances on Aug. 4, she misrepresented the findings of a federal analysis of where the oil went and incorrectly portrayed it as a scientific assessment that was peer-reviewed by inside and outside experts.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Poll: BP Oil Spill Response Rated Worse than Katrina