Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Placebo question      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Page 2u
Msg: 1
Placebo questionPage 1 of 1    
It is my understanding that, placebos do affect and have an effect on control groups.
I was surprised to learn that the difference between a drugs favorable acceptance--- through trials, compared to that of a placebo, is a mere 10%--Meaning that, 100 people-50/50 and -say 30 of the placebo responded and 40 of the drug respond. We have a pass !!
ps.. Please if anyone has different percentages please fill free to compare.

Question

Is it possible that, a placebo can effect people,, to such a high degree ?--
 artist_48
Msg: 2
Placebo question
Posted: 7/8/2010 4:20:41 PM
Yes, it's possible. The mind is a very strong force and can will a person to be ill or well to a large degree.
 chrono1985
Msg: 3
Placebo question
Posted: 7/9/2010 7:37:34 AM
The problem with a placebo being used in place of an actual drug is that it only really works when the body is capable of naturally healing anyway. Makes sense to me why it works, just about every part of the body works better when the person believes it'll work better over feeling it will not; believing that you will heal quicker because your taking medicine provides much the same effect. There is also another problem with placebo or drug to consider, if a patient does not believe they will recovery, chances are they will unconsciously take steps to jeopardize recovery.

The one thing I really don't like about placebos being used however is that to complete the illusion for actual patients they would need to be charged the full cost of the prescription. I think when such action is taken that money should be refunded in part at some point after recovery.
 .dej
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Placebo question
Posted: 7/9/2010 12:37:32 PM

Is it possible that, a placebo can effect people,, to such a high degree ?

I was surprised to learn that the difference between a drugs favorable acceptance--- through trials, compared to that of a placebo, is a mere 10%--Meaning that, 100 people-50/50 and -say 30 of the placebo responded and 40 of the drug respond. We have a pass !!

You answered your own question.
 .dej
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Placebo question
Posted: 7/14/2010 3:58:35 PM

Did you know that any well informed dr know 85% of all the blood serum cholesterol is MADE BY OUR OWN BODY.

Think about the stats there. Even if you eliminate HALF of your cholesterol intake it amounts to 7.5% so now you have 92.5% blood serum cholesterol levels. So why bother taking that pill? (does it make you get the feeling I get... that as much as we know about this science we have more questions than answers? And until the full story is out there I would NEVER take a statin drug no matter how much my dr might say I need it)

There are different kinds of cholesterols. This isn't as simple as you think it is.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 6
Placebo question
Posted: 7/20/2010 5:02:54 PM
There are some folks who believe that there is a wealth of abilities in our brain that are yet unknown and therefore untapped. It is rather interesting to consider that all the "drug" we need could be inside our minds....kinda gives a new perspective to the old "think positive thoughts" advice, doesn't it?
 Page 2u
Msg: 7
Placebo question
Posted: 7/22/2010 2:36:29 PM
If indeed-- it is an accurate statistic—then, how does one differentiate between effects of the actually drug and the placebo affect. ?

Meaning- if a drug proves to be effective 4 times out of 10 compared to the placebo affect 3 times out of 10.

Then is it not possible that, the placebo could account for 7 out of 10 positive effects and the drug 0.01 ???
 Page 2u
Msg: 8
Placebo question
Posted: 7/22/2010 3:12:34 PM

It is rather interesting to consider that all the "drug" we need could be inside our minds....kinda gives a new perspective to the old "think positive thoughts" advice, doesn't it?

Ya – there’s been a few thread focusing on, mind chemicals and reality.

Amazing— if one experiences a release of dmt / a natural drug found in humans and just about everything else—grass, plants included, you can expect some very strange effects.

When dmt is released in the body we dream—some other accounts including the Peoples of the Rain Forest, very from---- death to,, plants talking and giving advise on health.

I guess the question boils down to – if a placbo/ thought-- can, in reality cure, and possibly be, a far greater cure in reality.

Then------ what are we to make of, dreams and plants that talk ??

Lol—help !!!
Msg: 9
Placebo question
Posted: 7/22/2010 3:59:09 PM
Hey p2u longtime no see. Remember that thread way back before I was run out of town? The one on dmt and aliens from outer space/ inner space. How did you ever make out with that model? remember after watching Nassim Haramein's film ? I never did find out about the Barack and the reptiles.
anyway cheers friend

Then------ what are we to make of, dreams and plants that talk ??

Cleve Baxter - Plants can sense human intentions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGRluepFwdg
 Page 2u
Msg: 10
Placebo question
Posted: 7/23/2010 12:49:25 PM
Ya that was a fun one-- glad to see the science natzies have been shunted into some far corner of the forum world.

Nassim Haramein's film-- took that one a little further-- got into vortex math and built a few Roden coils--fun stuff !!

Thanks
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Placebo question