Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Replacement for Satellites? The Perpetual Plane      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 2
Replacement for Satellites? The Perpetual PlanePage 1 of 1    
Yes but what happens when it malfunctions and falls back to earth....will it burn up or crash into someone's house?
 desertrhino
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Replacement for Satellites? The Perpetual Plane
Posted: 7/21/2010 3:31:15 PM
This has been feasible for decades. I remember the proposal, utilizing lighter-than-air craft, with solar power for station-keeping, from at least the mid-1970s. Perhaps it's more cost-effective, to the point that it might happen, but... ?

For example: what is their mean-time-between-failures? Do you blow up every one that has a mechanical or electronic failure? If so, what is the replacement cost, including carried electronic payloads? If not, what is the average repair/replace time and cost?
 .dej
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2010 2:41:08 PM
This won't replace satellites.
 chrono1985
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/2/2010 10:22:50 AM
I wouldn't trust a lithium based battery for anything that needs to operate for long periods of time. The problem with a lithium based battery is that they just don't last very long, within a year of normal use your lucky if you get it to charge halfway, let alone up in the air where temperatures can be very different from what we experience down here on the surface.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/2/2010 10:33:42 AM

Lots of potential for Big Brother to watch you from the sky.

Yup, because the gubmint ain't got nuttin' beder to do but keep their eye on you!
 scorpiomover
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2010 3:16:34 PM
RE Msg: 10 by stargazer1000:

Off-Topic:
Yup, because the gubmint ain't got nuttin' beder to do but keep their eye on you!
They have plenty to do already. They still seem bent on spending 99% of their time doing almost anything but what the people want.

On-Topic:

I think it's a cool idea. However, AFAIK, most inventions that replaced a previous invention, like CDs replacing cassettes, were intended and marketed to do just that, even before they announced it was possible. So I doubt that this one will replace satellites.

With the massive increase in UAVs, I think it is most likely to be used as a UAV, to keep permanent air-control of a region, say in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Libya, Venezuela, and anywhere else that is currently considered "an enemy of the West".
 scorpiomover
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2010 3:14:48 AM
RE Msg: 12 by Random Entry:
What's AFAIK?
As Far As I Know.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Replacement for Satellites? The Perpetual Plane