Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Heavy Metal Guitar Effects?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NiceandEdgy
Msg: 1
Heavy Metal Guitar Effects?Page 1 of 1    
So what effects do all you head bangers out there use? Delay, noise gate, flange, chorus...?

I use a Boss Metal Core stompbox and a VOX Metal headphone amp. Am really considering some digital delay, found one with up to a 4 second track loop with all the other bells and whistles. Am also considering a sustain pedal and noise gate.

So what do you have, how do you use it, and what would you recommend?
 esky15
Msg: 2
Heavy Metal Guitar Effects?
Posted: 10/5/2010 11:54:07 PM
I just use a couple of wah pedals, and a digitech effect pedal, I don't remember which kind, but I know they discontinued them. I rarely use any effects other than wah, sometimes maybe a little chorus or flanger.
 DucDeRichleau
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/23/2010 2:30:30 PM
I remember,"back in the day",going to my mates house and he'd have these BOSS,DIGITECH etc pedals lined up on the floor.
You know,distortion,overdrive,flanger,chorus etc,and he'd be showing me the different sounds he could get.He spent more time bent over double fiddling with the pedal settings than playing the guitar.
Me,personally,have had some many single pedals and multi effect units over the years......Now all I have is my Line 6 spider Jam amp and my 1972 Les Paul.The Spider Jam is "jammed" (Lil joke,there) packed with effects,though.But you think of the likes of the AC/DC Young brothers and Paul Stanley out of Kiss,just playing thru a Marshall with no effects at all.
 Randy_Rw
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/13/2010 11:01:45 AM
I use absolutely nothing. A channel select pedal and maybe a little reverb. I'm old school, lol.
 DimPrawn
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/17/2010 10:02:46 AM
Marshall AVT20 with beefed up Celestion Vintage G30 speaker (huge difference to the sound from the stock speaker).

EQ all at mid, Pod 2.0 9A setting with a bit more delay / compression. Sweet lead sound.
 RockinRoller
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/28/2010 4:17:14 AM
Marshall JCM 800 or model1959SLP, stack or combo, 50w or 100w, master volume cranked for pure tube overdrive, and the gain set to your liking. That my friends is pure rock and roll. If that's not enough, put an overdrive box in front of it. Some people use distortion boxes, but those are meant for clean amps. If you have a decent amp, preferably tube, and you can achieve gain, an overdrive box would probably give the amp the extra push it needs.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/30/2012 11:19:15 AM
Nothing beats an old fashion tube amp cranked to the max.... the guys who mention Marshal know it !
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:53:22 PM
les paul with active pickups straight into a marshall can't really be beat.

line 6 is a great toy but it just doesn't give you what a marshall can.

k.w.
soldano is good too
 good guitar player
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2013 1:56:37 PM
I tend to old school so run an Echoplex a phase 90 or univibe and some sort of drive based on what I am playing .....treble boost Ts808, Fuzz face Klon copy or a Tonebender. I have an ME 50 but never use it, I like a simple set up to hear the wood tubes and speakers.....too much digital crap will make a 59 burst sound like a 200.00 epi....but that's just what I think

BUT
There are no set rules what works works.I remember reading Bob rock had Hetfield using a 52 tele on some tracks. Last night was screwing around and got a nice malcom young sound with a strat and a cranked AC30. so what you see and think may not be what your hearing, ya gotta listen. Honestly an old 4 hole marshall can do it all. Hit it with an Treble booster and your in Sabbath/ Rainbow tone range. Even a TS808 will let you go from Hendrix to Soundgarden with a 4 hole marshall.....To me the key is a good felixable amp like an OLD marshall and a boost pedal of some sort, No one mentioned the 4x12. you can try all you want but the thump of the 4x12 is prat of the sound from Cream to the present in heavy music
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2013 12:31:32 PM
Gonna run an electric cello thru a Peavey with distortion and a crybaby wah.
 whiplash15
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/6/2013 7:35:27 PM
I usually use my footswitch from my Marshall for chorus/delay/flanger, but I use a digitech pedal for some extra stuff, a couple styles of distortion and clean channels, a dunlop crybaby and just picked up an Ibanez Paul Gilbert flanger pedal.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2013 9:22:05 AM
I've played electrics for over 40 years.

There's a thousand sounds. To get the real 'GROAN'. I use my BC Rich Bich Metal Web guitar with active EMGs. I can feel it vibrating in my hand. Next... what it goes through ...is 'whatever'. Sometimes a Metal Core going through the Marshal. However, the last few years I'm often hooked up to a Digitech or Boss mulitfx pedal.

I tried the new Roland synth pedal a few months ago in the guitar store...it can do it all but felt almost like cheating.

(having said all this, 90% of the time I play a Stratocaster straight through the amp)
 Music8Is3Life
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/9/2013 1:19:57 AM
I've been playing guitar for half my life and I've pretty much done away with using any effects pedals anymore. I play a 7 string with active pickups into a modeling amp. Every amp simulation or "patch" I create is a pretty much all that particular amp's simulated tone and I'll maybe add/dial in a little bit of reverb, chorus or delay depending on the type of sound I'm going for and that's it.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Heavy Metal Guitar Effects?