Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Cry wolf, go straight to gaol...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strider886
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Cry wolf, go straight to gaol...Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
^^ Surprised it even made the news, can you imagine how big this would be if it happened via a dating website?
 Strider886
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Cry wolf, go straight to gaol...
Posted: 8/10/2010 1:58:18 AM
^^ I remember :(

But I ask, would that have been such big news if they'd met on a wild night out instead?
 Mikitaka
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2010 5:45:30 AM
I have a great deal of sympathy for women in these matters. There are many unreported rapes because the woman (already traumatised) has to go through the mill to prove the allegation. I agree with anonymity for both parties. The balance has to be right to allow the rape victim to make a claim without fear of imprisonment for herself (or himself in male rape).
When it's one person's word against another's I'd allow lie detectors and both parties histories to be admissible and judgement made on the balance of probability. So if someone has already been previously accused, or made an allegation then that might tip the scales. How many rapists turn out to have had history of sex attacks (or alleged attacks)?
 Cargy.
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2010 3:10:43 AM

Not guilty doesn't mean innocent of all charges, don't forget, it means insufficient evidence for a jury to convict.

Never heard such a load of old cobblers in my life.

Despite successive governments' dabbling in certain areas to place the burden of proof on the accused, the law in this country is based on the simple, straightforward, premise of "innocent until proven guilty".

If there is insufficient evidence to prove guilt, then the accused is innocent in the eyes of the law.

No ifs, no buts, and no matter what sex the accused is or how close together their eyes are!
 try1more
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2010 9:09:13 PM
"It does mean that they can't be charged with that same offence again. "

i thought that double jeopardy clause had been dropped or did i get it wrong?
 try1more
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2010 4:34:38 AM
"By introducing that option, juries would have the opportunity to 'hedge their bets' and prevent someone that they're really not sure of 'getting off'"

hula you worry me sometimes:-)

balance of probability is for the civil courts.
the criminal courts require "no doubt" not no doubt but just incase...
double jeopardy "unless" evidence not available at the time comes to the surface sounds good.
otherwise you have perhaps an innocent victim with a not proven = probably did it hanging over them.
whereas a gulity that gets off knows that there could be a retrial at some future date.
both would be a punishment of sorts but at least the later only punishes the guilty.

^^pud i thought marriage was such a contract but you can be found guilty of raping your wife.
they'll be suggesting you carry a menu so you know just what you are aggreeing to it'll look like an order for a chinese :-)
pissing meself here thinking of the negotiations, how do you fancy a 21 or how about a 17 :-)

who needs commedians when you've got the government?
 Cargy.
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2010 5:09:35 AM

Er....excuse me luv, while you've got your mouth full, could you sign here....and here.....and here, cheers darlin

Sign or swallow?

...Well, there's the gag (no pun intended) but posting restrictions mean I have to add something else. Let me think...

I'd better point out that I wholly agree with those who see the Not Proven verdict for the ridiculous anachronism it is. It's right up there with Lynch mobs and witch hunts.

Isn't Scotland one of those places where an accused person is left to pay for their out of pocket with their own defence costs when they are found Not Guilty?!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Cry wolf, go straight to gaol...