Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Dr. Laura and the you know what word      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 matchlight
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Dr. Laura and the you know what wordPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^^^I met a doctor from Mississippi once, and he talked about the word "redneck." Apparently people started using it in the early 1800's to describe poor white farmers in the northern part of the state. The area is hilly, and the soil isn't too good for farming--especially compared to the rich soil in the lower parts of the state, where the big plantations were. And the gentry in those areas looked down on these hill folk.

These people couldn't usually afford slaves, so they had to work the land themselves just to get by. And work it so long and hard, stooping over, that the back of their necks got sunburned. Red-necks. He said that in those days, the term was a deadly insult--you could literally get killed for calling someone that. But now, it's just another slang term.
 matchlight
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Dr. Laura and the you know what word
Posted: 8/21/2010 11:36:31 AM
^^^^That's very interesting. I don't know myself, and this guy may not have known. But it seems to have been an insult. Maybe "Presbyterian" was, too, at one time. I'm just reading a book about the Civil War, and a general who couldn't stand Stonewall Jackson used to call him "that d----d old Presbyterian." Jackson was from the Appalachian part of Virginia.
 forumfishie
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/21/2010 12:16:14 PM
I think Dr. Laura it's throwing her hissy fit because she is tired of doing that radio show, she knew this was going to be great publicity to let everybody know what she'll be doing next.

She keeps trying to portray herself as a victim in this situation
That way, if she succeeds, she doesn't exit with the racist stamp on her forehead

Nobody told her to quit
She ain't dumb, she is a business woman
she'll move on to do something more profitable
she has a husband and a son to take care of

She just wanted an out, she found it and ran with it
 matchlight
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2010 12:23:04 PM

This is an attempt to control the discussion, and also to maintain the status quo.... keeping the racism and bigotry an issue they feel they can use.

JD, That's exactly what it is. "Political correctness" was thought up by European Marxists as a tactic for promoting their ideas and discrediting everyone who disagreed with them. They later pitched it here as sensitivity to every imaginable minority which the oppressors--meaning white, male Americans--supposedly had made their victims. "Multiculturalism" is another aspect of the same general idea.

This sugar coating made the poison pill easy for teachers, administrators, parents, etc. to swallow. It turned a vicious doctrine meant to bring down America by subverting its traditions and culture (a goal Communists and Islamists have in common) into nothing more than a rule about being tolerant of other people. Ironic, because that's the last thing the brownshirts who promote these ideas are.

I ran across a site that has a lot of good stuff about the culture war the Left has been waging against this country:

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org
 matchlight
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2010 3:50:07 PM
^^^^^Your own president's typical of the leftists who are bigoted against Jews, but are seldom called to account for it by the news media. He hung around for years with anti-Semites like Father Pfleger, the PLO propagandist Rashid Khalidi, and Jeremiah Wright (who's pals with the Jew-and white-hating Louis Farrakhan.)

Mr. Obama's obviously hostile to Israel, and he's always ready to bow and apologize for America to the world's Islamist tyrants. It's not because he gives a hoot in he!! about the Constitution that he backs these Islamists' plan to spit on the ashes of all the poor souls their fellow cowards murdered nine years ago. They picked the Trade Center, from the beginning, partly because they believed a lot of Jews worked there.
 matchlight
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2010 2:18:22 PM

Apparently whites are subject to all kinds of censorship

Only the unofficial kind, which doesn't involve laws. The drones who have swallowed all that PC baloney think they have a license to run down all the things they regularly do, and not hear anything in return. Doesn't work that way.

BTW I do not support yelling "fire" in a theater.

Is it OK to yell "Kill the ump!" at a Dodger game? How about preventing a strip club from going in next to the Ground Zero Jihad Center, if it's built? I mean, the Court has held that stripping is speech protected by the First Amendment. Surely, no one would want to deprive the strippers of their freedom of speech--would they? And what if it were a *gay* strip club? Or one that catered to gays of some *racial minority*? Imagine how discriminatory it would be for the city to prevent *that*!
 matchlight
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:07:12 PM
^^^^^ Self-anointed moral authorities have a license to say what they please. *They* are caring, evolved, cosmopolitans who eat natural foods, respect The Planet, and are just plain *good.* They have the misfortune of having to share the country with a herd of troglodytes who eat red meat, cling to their guns and Bibles, and actually *like* America! These insensitive, hateful Neanderthals are just plain *bad.* Until they can be re-educated to correct their views, they must be silenced--at least as much as that stupid constitution of theirs will allow.

The Court has sometimes found even minor government restrictions on freedom of speech unconstitutional because they tended to "chill" speech. And yet several times, Democrats have done just that. Remember how they brought Clinton in to imply that criticizing Obama could lead to another Oklahoma City-style bombing? And how Big Sis Napolitano sent that advisory to police all over the U.S., warning them to keep an eye on people with various conservative views as possible terrorist threats? They don't want people in corporations to have any political voice. And the other day, Ms. Pelosi said people who criticize the NYC Islamist project should be investigated to see where their funding comes from.

That's why it rings so false when "liberals" pontificate about Muslims' freedom of religion. These are the same people who are always trying to have some judge ban a cross or a Christmas tree or an Easter parade. They're also the ones who dote on doctrines like political correctness, whose whole purpose is to suppress all views except the officially approved ones. It's a tailor-made crutch for people have no real facts or logic to call on, and couldn't make an argument out of them anyway. All you have to do is yell some of the magic words: "hater," "bigot," "racist," "nativist," "xenophobe," "choice," "homophobe," "Islamophobe," and, of course, "Bush."
 matchlight
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2010 5:49:45 PM
^^^^^Exactly. Here are a couple more points the America-hating left is vulnerable on. First, a lot of them are rabid Jew-haters. And if they're going to claim opposing Mr. Obama's policies indicates race prejudice, other people can claim that opposing Israel's policies indicates anti-Semitism. What about Obama's personally insulting treatment of Mr. Netanyahu in the White House? Not only that, but also his personal associations with vitriolic Jew-haters like Wright, Pfleger, and Khalidi suggest he's anti-Semitic himself.

And second, they want the national government to run everyone's life in detail--but when it comes to abortion, marijuana, or the special rights of homosexuals or other pet grievance constituencies, privacy suddenly becomes sacrosanct. If privacy's a fundamental constitutional right, and it includes contraception and abortion, as the Court's said, why doesn't that right to privacy limit the U.S. government's power to interfere in our personal choices about medical insurance, cars, shower heads, light bulbs, foods, etc.?
 matchlight
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2010 12:51:29 PM
^^^^I didn't say I believed that. I just said there's more reason to claim that people denounce Israel because they dislike Jews, than there is to claim people oppose Mr. Obama's policies because they dislike blacks.
 matchlight
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2010 10:06:23 PM

Political correctness has GONE MAD!!!

You're dead right. You guys only escaped because the Marxists who developed the p.c. doctrine came here from Frankfurt when Hitler took over. You can look it up. Their followers must be getting a good laugh out of watching the very people whose culture p.c. was meant to undermine gulp it down like it was free booze.
 matchlight
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2010 12:12:02 PM
You may have some inkling of what point you're trying to make, but I don't. Whatever it is, I don't see how it relates to anything I wrote.
 matchlight
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2010 3:56:05 PM

Most political correctness is just considered being polite and inoffensive. I guess that's too much to ask for.

Of course that's not too much to ask for. We've become a rude, vulgar society, and I wish we weren't. I think living in one big Jerry Springer show is about as attractive an idea as swimming in a pool full of sewage. But somehow, for most of our history, most Americans managed to control themselves without the help of "political correctness." They relied on something we quaintly call manners.

What you're missing, I think, is that political correctness isn't about just being polite and inoffensive. That's only the sugar coating that was used to get people to swallow it, and it's worked. Everything about the doctrine is coercive and hostile to freedom--Stalinist. Communists invented it to promote the "correct" (and invariably anti-American) party line on all sorts of subjects, while making differing opinions verboten.

Just one example: About 1950, as part of that effort, one of those Frankfurt school communists, Theodore Adorno, promoted the pseudo-scientific theory of the "authoritarian personality." The gist of this notion, which blended Marx with Freud, was that anyone who disagreed with communist views had a mental disorder that made them more or less Nazi-like. With the help of Richard Hofstadter, a history professor, this tripe became pretty widely accepted.

On the West Coast, these anti-American ideas had the help of another communist professor, Herbert Marcuse. He was the mentor of such America-hating communists as Angela Davis, and he became quite a hero to campus leftists. These people loathe America, and they've done a lot to encourage the false belief that it's been such a force for evil in the world that it's hardly worth saving. I have no respect whatever for them, and it will be a cold day in Hades before I start using the words and phrases they've officially blessed.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:55 PM
Well, there are two ways to address the criticism of the Frankfurt school and people like Marcuse. One is to hate and resist them, even when there is an element of truth in their claims.

The second is to hear them out, correct that element of truth, and use that action to further debunk the bulk of their ill-motivated claims. The truth will win out eventually, so why not just weed through the nonsense to find it.

BTW, the same goes for the right-wing nonsense that I don't like.
 matchlight
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:38:47 PM

The truth will win out eventually, so why not just weed through the nonsense to find it.

But that assumes that there is some truth to be found in what these people said. I can't claim to be an expert on their writings--no one has that much time. But what is there worth finding in a communist doctrine designed to discredit just about everything American? Looking for anything worthwhile in that seems about as much a waste of time as looking for something in Mein Kampf that affirms personal liberties.

America is hardly suffering from an excess of confidence, and there's been a concerted effort by leftists and Islamists to undermine it. This is not the time to be apologizing for anything in our history or culture. We're in a struggle with people who want to impose their primitive, intolerant ideas on the world. I'll be d----d if I'll help these murdering 7th-century savages subvert this country by running it down and demoralizing it. To he!! with them, and with their fifth column.
 matchlight
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2010 10:00:28 PM
^^^^^^Yes, those black racists are out of control! Why doesn't our government DO something??

I can see the Newsweek cover now: "Black-on-Black Racism--New Menace to America?"
 matchlight
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 7:56:37 AM

how racist they are because they expect better from the black community.

Most of the *real* racists in this country are leftists--and exactly because they do *not* hold blacks to the same standards as whites. They've used their paternalistic, "Uncle Sam's plantation" view to justify trillions in federal spending on an endless parade of failed social welfare programs. This may have made white leftists feel caring and noble--and bought a lot of votes--but it's done blacks all kinds of harm.
 matchlight
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 9:06:09 AM
^^^^I wonder why so many residents left the city, and why the mayor and governor have been criticized for failing to complete the evacuation. If it was so clear to the 25% who stayed that Katrina was no big deal--just another storm you could ride out--why wasn't that also clear to the 75% who got out of there? Maybe they and the public officials were just alarmists, like all the weather officials who'd been warning for days that this was a major hurricane and a serious threat to that area.
 matchlight
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 11:45:47 AM
^^^^^Oh come on, with all that Ward and June Cleaver, Ozzie and Harriet, '50's "nuclear family" stuff. Yeah, those were the good old days, all right--in the Hollywood myth. The reality was just a bit different, as we've all learned from TV and movies.

Women in aprons, locked up at home in the burbs, only going out to take the kids places in their dumb, five-mpg, all-American station wagons. And drinking and taking pills so they could keep that tight, cheery little smile all the time.

The hubbies, meantime, making the money, running around with their secretaries, and giving themselves heart attacks with all those cigarettes and martinis and steaks. Like, yeah, we've seen Mad Men.

Hey, times have changed--we're one big rainbow now. What's the big deal about 40% illegitimacy and gangstas and 14-year-old single moms and gay parents anyway, unless you're some wacky Christian fundamentalist? Go with the flow. As one very right-on woman put it, it takes a *village* to raise a child.
 matchlight
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2010 10:23:34 PM
^^^^^He should not be allowed to get away with that. It doesn't bother me much for anyone to say that word, or to express outright bigotry about something.

But if it's wrong for Al Campanis, or Jimmy the Greek, or Trent Lott to make a general statement that someone might construe as racially biased, then it's even more wrong for Shirley Sherrod or Barack Obama or Jeremiah Wright or Jesse Jackson or to make statements that are even more overtly racist. Yet they and others have been given a free pass. Mr. Obama also violates the Constitution by letting his Justice Department refuse--as a matter of policy--to prosecute blacks for breaking civil rights laws.

And if it's indefensible for Dr. Laura to use that word on radio, it's just as indefensible for Maher to use it on TV. By all rights, his career should have ended years ago, when he praised the "courage" of the 9/11 mass murderers. Millions of his fellow America-hating halfwits supported him then, and they probably will again. But that doesn't mean the rest of us have to help this jerk run this country down, by watching or listening to him.
 matchlight
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 10/26/2010 9:27:19 AM
I'd bet she's a member of the tea party

If that's typical of the depth of most liberals' thinking (and from what I've ever seen, it is) it's not surprising that so many millions of Americans seem poised to reject it on Nov. 2. Liberals--no doubt encouraged by this race-baiting president--fall back on name-calling because their arguments aren't convincing anyone but their fellow true believers.

Some of these people showed just how ignorant they are recently by howling at Sarah Palin for talking about being ready to party like it was 1773. They were mocking her for getting the year wrong, but *they* are the dopes. That was in fact the year the "Boston tea party" took place. A lot of us learned that in junior high school.

We've come to a pretty pass when any American would stoop to accusing millions of fellow Americans of racism, simply because they believe in respecting our Constitution and the rule of law. Some of us have always thought that was essential for a free, civil society. Next we'll be hearing from leftists that voting, or paying your taxes, or being a good neighbor are sure signs of racism.
 matchlight
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 9:32:05 PM
^^^^Thanks for showing everyone so clearly how willing you are to defend racism and how much you detest whites. Only people you have a chip on your shoulder about should have to obey the rules, I guess. But you and whatever victim groups you've got your crying towel out for (Muslim extremists included) deserve a free pass. Good luck making that one stick.

It's not surprising you're so touchy. It's hard to be a leftist these days--some of your fellow leftists in Congress are headed for a big fall next Tuesday. It's also no surprise to see a leftist support racism, censorship of speech and infringement of other freedoms by government, etc. They don't object to any of those things in principle--they just want them used against people they don't like. That's against the laws and the Constitution, of course, but they don't give a dam about either one.

The irony--which most of these followers of this worn-out, discredited political philosophy are too dim to see--is that they're the very kind of controlling, intolerant, would-be tyrants they accuse everyone they don't like of being.
 matchlight
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 10:03:35 PM

There also is plenty of racism directed toward whites which tends to be ignored entirely by the lamestream media.

They've gone out of their way to cover up the Justice Department's policy of refusing to enforce voting rights laws against black defendants, even though it's obviously unconstitutional. It's part of this administration's campaign to undermine the right to vote (which it carries out in several ways.)

The press ought to be all over this, because it threatens our most fundamental civil right. But most of the so-called reporters are too dumb to see it and wouldn't much care if they did. And Mr. Obama wants it to continue, because it works to his political advantage. He could have put an end to this policy with a single call, months ago. The fact he's done nothing shows his disregard for the Constitution.

The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Am. applies only to the states. But when it's a federal government action that's being challenged, the 5th Am. Due Process Clause acts like a second Equal Protection Clause--and the Court applies the same standards. The Court made all this clear in Bolling v. Sharpe, a 1954 case in which it held race discrimination by D.C. public schools violated 5th Am. due process.
 matchlight
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2010 9:10:59 PM

those who have obvious tendencies really hate being called on it because they realize that it is socially debilitating.

I agree completely. People with obvious racist tendencies DO seem to hate being called on it. So they often try to distract attention from themselves by accusing everyone *else* of racism, with no basis whatsoever for the accusation.
 matchlight
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 10:35:10 AM

When you people talk of wanting to eliminate "political correctness", you're just asking for license to say things that are unacceptable in civil society.

I wonder how we ever managed to decide what was "unacceptable in civil society" before PC--or who issues the licenses these days to say things that are. The leftist elite which has appointed itself the social conscience of us all, maybe?

Political correctness is a doctrine invented by communists, many decades ago. They intended it to promote their anti-American agenda, at the same time suppressing any opposing views by branding them as illegitimate. It's not hard to research this.

PC is at heart an attempt to stifle independent thought and free speech. Anyone who challenges the "correct" position is to be persecuted by the idea police and made to recant. That's not much different from what the Church in Europe did with scientists hundreds of years ago, when they made claims which went against official doctrine.

I'm sure a lot of people support PC (and the related notions of "diversity" and "multiculturalism") because the pretty packaging has tricked them into thinking it's only about being nice, sensitive, tolerant, considerate, etc. Muslims who believe their religion commands them to murder Americans must love to see them passionately insist on tolerating even their would-be murderers.

But once anyone sees past the trick, why would they *not* want to eliminate something which tries to dictate what they think and say? Unless, of course, they're one of those intolerant, controlling people they like to accuse everyone else of being.
 matchlight
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2010 12:59:25 PM
^^^^^Maybe this was all cooked up, but it really doesn't matter. I've been pretty sure for quite a while that Mr. Obama is prejudiced against whites. I remember how fast he jumped to the conclusion that cop in Massachusetts had acted "stupidly" toward his black professor buddy. I also remember his comment about how his grandmother was afraid of young black men, like a "typical white person." Then there was his comment in San Francisco, where he strongly implied that the largely white population of western Pennsylvania resisted his wonderful ideas because they were ignorant, backward rednecks. And he's said other things that suggest he's prejudiced against the mainly white, Christian cultural traditions of this country.

More than any of this, there's the fact he regularly attended Jeremiah Wright's church for twenty years, even though Wright --like his pal Louis Farrakhan--is a flagrant racist and Jew-hater. Same with the rabid bigot Michael Pfleger, another of Obama's pals. I also heard from a law professor at Univ. of Chicago that when Obama was briefly there teaching a course, he would hardly speak to him or to several others. Why? Because they didn't share his belief that the Constitution and the subsequent legal history of this country were all about discrimination against blacks.
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Dr. Laura and the you know what word