Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Complimentary Side Dishes      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3
Complimentary Side DishesPage 1 of 1    
you're right rice gets boring. So try different rices. Both jasmine and basmati rices taste different than generic parboiled dainty rice. Add some peppers, cook in broth instead of water, add a seasoning packet, the possibilities are endless. I once had some Californian 'texmati' rice, and it was really really good.

Potatoes also get boring. So instead bake a sweet potato. Or roast rutabaga. Grill squash. Candy beets. Braise cucumbers. Sautee bell peppers. Steam Kohlrabi.

For the most part, people don't eat that many different veggies, so the opportunity to wow them is easy when you cook something they haven't tried before.

Pick a spice blend like Mrs. Dash and use that on a veggie. I baked potatoes for my parents anniversary dinner- all I did was add rosemary and steak spice to the butter I slathered on them before putting them on the grill, and everyone was wowed. I was like "uh, this impresses you? This is easy. Any idiot could do it." My expereince is a lot of people don't know how to cook, so they're easy to impress. Maybe your social circle is different.

Pick a veggie you want to use, then google recipes for that veggie. There's thousands of versions on green bean casseroles, creamed corn recipes, 'low carb cauliflower risotto' recipes, baked spaghetti squash, grilled asparagus, scalloped eggplant...
 raxarsr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Complimentary Side Dishes
Posted: 9/22/2010 6:11:21 PM
try useing lemon and/or lime juice on your veggies instead of salt.......add some cheese to your taters................get a veggie steamer and use fresh veggies
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Complimentary Side Dishes