Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > You can't include email addresses/msn names in messages anymore? Not      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 universe_skyship_explorer
Msg: 1
You can't include email addresses/msn names in messages anymore? Not good.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well I was talking to someone and I gave them my MSN email through the reply message and this came up:

"You may not send messages on plentyoffish that contain references to hotmail, yahoo or gmail or any other email provider when messaging someone.

The vast majority of people who do this are spammers and blocking this activity greatly helps us reduce the amount of spam on POF. Click the back button in the browser and remove these references and you can send your message."

--

I know spam is bad but what if you want to give someone your email/msn/gmail add to talk?

This is not fun
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
You can't include email addresses/msn names in messages anymore? Not good.
Posted: 9/7/2010 12:41:14 PM
I don't really think it's such a big deal.

What does it add to getting to know a person to give him or her your email/IM information? You can email and IM on here. If you want to get to know the person better, exchange phone numbers.
 smartypants24
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:59:17 PM
The filter only picks up exact web addresses. Try replacing the period in .com with (dot). Works for me
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:07:04 AM
Not sure but think phone numbers are blocked also.
 softy63
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:54:19 PM
suggesting the vast majority of people who post a email address are spammers is just crazy and shows the site owner is either clueless about the sort of site he has built or has ulterior motives and is maybe trying to make things as difficult as possible for people

As far as I'm aware we have NEVER been able to reveal personal email addresses, msn names, phone numbers or mention other POF users' names. This is designed for our own security and security of others.

In my opinion, its not crazy and the site owner knows what he is doing. Wouldn't you feel safer knowing that our personal info is protected?

We are, however, allowed to swap email addresses via IM. All the friends I made on this site I now talk to on MSN.
EDIT: You will notice that any referance to b anking terms are also edited as well as swear words or words including such a word. I think its a great filter.
 PureSource
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:20:24 PM
Are you kidding?

How does sending someone your e-mail address compromise safety? Can you think of any way?

The site has a duty to "protect" our personal info, of course. The info about us that we gave to the site. The site has ZERO responsibility to protect our own information from US, the users who own that information.

And I'm sorry to correct you, but yes, previously it was possible to exchange e-mail addresses, which is what everyone did because MSN is a much more popular venue for communicating than the site IM feature.

It's clear this change has NOTHING to do with 'protecting' personal information, and EVERYTHING to do with making it harder for people to chat off of this site.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/8/2010 7:30:39 PM

I have done it many time with no issues or messages and I have used full address with "@".

So maybe there are other reasons why this would show up.

suggesting the vast majority of people who post a email address are spammers is just crazy and shows the site owner is either clueless about the sort of site he has built or has ulterior motives...

Really?

I would say the fact that spammers and scamers can not send an email address is very helpful to anyone that may fall for it what they are try to get away with.

Guy gets email from hot chick and she send email address, bingo he send email to her private address and at the least they know have a live address and maybe a sucker on the line.

If they know they have to keep a clean account and invest time in multiple emails and combined with the number of first contact emails you can send, it is not worth their time and is why I would say the owner has a very good idea what he is doing.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/8/2010 8:05:29 PM
Unless things have changed, you can't include an URL or phone no. in a first message OR reply.

Once you get to the "RE:RE:" stage of messaging, there is (or was!) no such restriction.
 Padawan61
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:58:54 AM
In my opinion, its not crazy and the site owner knows what he is doing. Wouldn't you feel safer knowing that our personal info is protected?

Uhmm?? No!! Because we are all adults here and one would think that we should have some sort of common sense in providing such info and not rely on the owner to hold our hands. And really ... what kind of personal info does POF have on us?? Aside from an email address which could be faked ... along with all the other personal stuff we are asked.

Are you kidding?

How does sending someone your e-mail address compromise safety? Can you think of any way?

There isn't. The poster wasn't thinking straight. You might get some unsolicited emails but editing your email settings will dump such spam even before you see them. As for the recipient of your email address getting personal information through it ... no chance of that.

You will notice that any referance to b anking terms are also edited as well as swear words or words including such a word. I think its a great filter

There are ways around word filters. Inserting a special character such as a period (or that blank space) in banking terms and swear words will get by such filtering. Bottom line is: YOU are responsible for your own online safety ... not the admin guy.
 sweetequity
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/9/2010 11:18:49 AM
This is ridiculous to me too.

I would prefer to be able to chat with people I like off of here on msn. I don't want to have to be logged in here to have an IM conversation with someone. What gives POF?

Anyway, now I spell out my email address like "my name at live dot see a"... hope that works.
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 1:32:23 PM

Sorry i appreciate your view on it but this a dating site and not a pen pal site so why restrict genuine people being able to communicate with other genuine people away from this site if they want to ?

what personal information is being protected by this restriction, i really dont know as its up to you what you post on the internet so dont understand what you mean there as how does banning email addresses make you feel safer or protect your personal info ?

Good points and I agree. Still don't know if phone numbers are filtered. If people are going to be paranoid @ personal info being given out then maybe pics shouldn't be shown to anyone. Maybe they should hide profiles too.

Guess we're supposed to communicate on POF only and never have opportunities to meet in Real Life. Then again that makes people log into POF more often.
 artloverisme
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/10/2010 6:43:41 AM
Absolutely the site owner knows what he's doing!

The object of being on POF is to find what I am looking for
and leave. I have been giving out email addresses on both
my POF adventures. No problem till this week.

There was no warning about this at all.

One mail I sent appeared to be sent and then when
the user tried to pick it up they were informed I was a spammer.

FACT: Site ad rates are based on three things...visits, length of visit and country of origin.

By forcing people to communicate in POF the number of visits and length of stay
are increased.

Indeed the site owner knows what he is doing. You bet he does...if
he hasn't sold out yet.

Governments bring in laws which impinge upon our freedom of expression and mobility. All supposedly to protect us.

This fits absolutely.

I want some contacts to have my email and phone number. They are welcome to
reverse directory the number and see I am who I say I am.

Almost everyone I know has an address at hotmail, gmail or yahoo.

I've been developing websites since 1996. I know well about spam on forums and how to deal with it without restricting communication between readers.

I find it laughable that the programmer behind POF can't deal with spammers seamlessly, without applying restrictions on users.

Don't get taken in by this...

IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY.
 joecanadian2012
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:22:44 PM
I have to agree that this is pretty ridiculous, and too controlling. We're all adults here, and if one does not have the common sense to keep their personal information private, they shouldn't be on a site like this. Msn/yahoo/gmail etc. are useful tools to have a spontaneous conversation and to learn what a person is really like, as compared to a well crafted email.

I could understand a first message restriction as it would keep the majority of spammers at bay, but after sending five or six emails back and forth, chances are it's a real person. I doubt a spammer would be so committed.
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:06:24 PM
Believe email filters for personal contact info (email addresses etc. ) is a way to drive people to POF site. That way we can Only communicate here.

As others have said it's a way to Drive traffic, get ratings up or whatever.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:55:02 PM
I have to agree that this is pretty ridiculous, and too controlling. We're all adults here, and if one does not have the common sense to keep their personal information private, they shouldn't be on a site like this. Msn/yahoo/gmail etc. are useful tools to have a spontaneous conversation and to learn what a person is really like, as compared to a well crafted email.

As adults then why not make a choice where or where not you would like to search for singles and not just complain like little kids.

I could understand a first message restriction as it would keep the majority of spammers at bay, but after sending five or six emails back and forth, chances are it's a real person. I doubt a spammer would be so committed.

Exactly and that is how it works.

After several emails I have had zero problems sending an message via POF with my email address in it.

IMO
I would say if after several emails people are having issues there is something wrong with their account or that account has been flagged for some reason.
 artloverisme
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/11/2010 10:45:21 AM
I shall have a private image on which I shall put
whatever info I desire.

There are ways around everything because software
filters have limitations.

Sad though you can't invite someone for c o c ktails
and type it correctly.

I find it rather sad that some folks are unable to
disagree without slagging others off.

After all when two people agree about everything all the time
one or both aren't thinking for themselves. No two agree
on everything in a relationship and I humbly suggest that those
unable to disagree without insulting others on this board
paint themselves as undesirable and potentially controlling partners.

Thank you.
 smartypants24
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/14/2010 2:11:52 PM
So I just discovered, if you replace the @ symbol with (at) and the .com with (dot) com...your message will send
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/19/2010 6:01:31 AM

My question is: how long does one have to be here before not being considered a "new" user?

Dollars to donuts this applies to *everyone*, not just newbs.

Markus is obviously trying to keep traffic onsite and (as usual!) offering BS as his reasoning. He already limits the number of emails a newb can send, (copy/paste, or not) to combat to 'spam scourge' here on POF.

*Eiledon*

^^Also too "new" to include email addies in my messages^^
 scottey63
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2010 10:14:08 AM
It blocks out more than exact web or email addresses. I was unable to send a reply to a message using just the word "yahoo".

I've been on this site over two years, so I'm hardly a "new member".

What's up with this?
 __JamesT___
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/21/2010 8:03:56 PM
so are people who paid to upgrade to serious member status also being restricted from sending their msn ??

if they are not being restricted its a sure sign that soon this will be a pay to use site only....
 BigFish
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2010 8:08:11 PM
Screwup on my part, should be fixed now.
 __JamesT___
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/21/2010 8:13:36 PM
thanks bigfish, just tried it and works fine now!
 Fun_2_Bee_With
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2014 12:15:34 AM
So exactly how are we to go about meeting people...you know like in real life?
I was about to upgrade to a paid version until I heard about this but why would I?
I can't actually meet people in real life here without getting banned? I'm stuck in cyberworld forever here?
We have to resort to devious tactics to meet someone?
If I dare send my phone number or email I lose my account and my money?
What about the chat function is it the same thing. No contact info?

And finally can someone recommend a dating site that does allow exchange of contact information?

Thanks
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/18/2014 3:09:57 AM
I've never had any problems sending or receiving phone numbers.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/18/2014 4:40:53 AM
Msg: 36
And finally can someone recommend a dating site that does allow exchange of contact information?

This one: http://www.pof.com

See message from BigFish linked here: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/14165913datingPostpage2.aspx#14184037
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > You can't include email addresses/msn names in messages anymore? Not good.