Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Stephen Hawking: God Did Not Create the Universe      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hyoid
Msg: 2
Stephen Hawking: God Did Not Create the UniversePage 1 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

unnerving many creationists and theologians in the process, as one would imagine.

I doubt that any, much less many people of faith are unnerved by pronouncements of this type by other people-such is the nature of faith.

More likely, their response is "He's wrong."

For the record, I agree with him. I just don't need his arguments in support.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 3
Stephen Hawking: God Did Not Create the Universe
Posted: 9/7/2010 9:46:06 PM
For those creationists out there, do ideas in science such as these at all undercut or shake your belief in a god, personal or otherwise?

Stephen Hawking is almost completely paralyzed, he speaks through a computer, his is eternally limp as wilted lettuce and he poops into a bag.
/
Is it any wonder that he doesn't believe in God?
 abelian
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/8/2010 1:15:15 AM

Stephen Hawking is almost completely paralyzed, he speaks through a computer, his is eternally limp as wilted lettuce and he poops into a bag.
/

In spite of that, he still gets more attention from the media for his opinions than you do, so you have even less reason to believe in god.
 nospeakafukanese
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/8/2010 2:06:08 AM

Troll Removed
 x_file
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/8/2010 2:11:48 AM

My question: For those creationists out there, do ideas in science such as these at all undercut or shake your belief in a god, personal or otherwise? (Honesty would be much appreciated.)

I'm not a creationist, but the idea presented by Hawkins is not that there is no God, but that God is not a necessary to explain the Universe and it's internals - if I could put it that way.

More to the point, given that we need not necessarily invoke god to explain the universe, and to the extent that one nevertheless maintains their belief in a deity, it would be interesting to know why it is that an individual would maintain that belief.

There is no mystery here, or much of interest. The explanation is simple: just because it is not necessary to invoke God as an explanation in science doesn't mean there is no God, hence why some individuals can, and still do maintains a belief in God.

The claim that God did not create the universe is, in my opinion, an arrogant claim, especially when it is coming from the sciences because it is not the domain of science to go beyond the empirical and the theoretical.

Science should claim "There is no evidence of (or for) God" rather than "There is no God". And frankly, right before the claim "There is no evidence of God", I'd like to see what constitutes evidence for God or else, even that claim should be taken with a grain of salt and so should the claim, "God exists".
 stargazer1000
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:54:16 AM

Of course, the ideas Hawking raises aren’t particularly new; it’s just that they’ve come to the public’s attention via the media publicity of the new book. (Given his celebrity, when Stephen Hawking talks -- especially about god -- people [and the media] pay attention.)

Inasmuch as Steven Hawking being arguably one of the most brilliant people on the face of the planet, it's unlikely that his opinions or the opinions of any scientist is going to have any effect on the devoutly faithful.

One thing I've discovered over the last while debating with people who are inclined toward certain spiritual beliefs, particularly literalist Christian creationism or more obscure spiritual beliefs, their "beliefs" are built upon a framework of equivocations and justifications that beggar even the simplest principles of logic. Even though I identify myself as agnostic, it's ironically the arguments of the believers that make me lean more toward the atheist camp.

And then there's simple denial. "Richard Dawkins? He's an idiot." I wouldn't be the least surprised to hear that statement from a Creationist about Hawking.

/

Well, that was just...ignorant.
 flyguy51
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:44:01 AM
I don't think much of anything will change at all, but it does show the danger and, of course, the fallacy of appeals to authority: that authority can change his mind on the subject.

I get bored with theists who predictably quote Einstein (way out of context) as a compelling reason to believe in god. It is the old, "Well he is smarter than you, so his belief is more valid than yours." Nevermind that they misinterpret his beliefs!

I have no problem believing differently than someone who might have a higher IQ because that is not how I form my beliefs.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/9/2010 3:53:05 AM
wow, i never saw a more non-persuasive argument for nothing. the gist of that video is this: if we give typewriters to monkeys and just sit around and wait long enough, they will eventually & spontaneously type stephen hawking's book.... complete & without error... except for perhaps that slight poo stain in the margin ...according to the laws of quantum physics, of course!

so..... stephen hawking has just turned science into a religion? who knew???

My question: For those creationists out there, do ideas in science such as these at all undercut or shake your belief in a god, personal or otherwise? (Honesty would be much appreciated.)

although i wouldn't count myself among the "creationists", i'll go way out on a limb here and say i seriously doubt their beliefs are going to be undercut in the slightest by the beliefs of contrarian theoretical physicists. of course, exactly the opposite is also true.

as a matter of fact, i predict this: that each side in this tedious yet occasionally hilarious debate will find more and more evidence to support their own point of view, and then take their own personal observations as well as their own thoughts and feelings about said personal observations as proof of exactly why they are right and the other guy is wrong.... until the universe finally self-annihilates in protest. and so it goes, in a world of people with convoluted, non-sequitor ideas who refuse to agree with each other.

what else is new?

Ubiquitous.
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:26:29 AM
"There is no reason to expect reality to be rationally apprehendable."
How ironic is it to use reason to argue that reality isn't reasonable?
 Ubiquitous.
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 1:35:18 PM
I know that's your point.

But my point is that it is a performative contradiction to use reason to argue that reality isn't reasonable. It's similar to "Words have no meaning" or "I always lie"
 Jan Sobieski
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2010 3:46:26 PM
At what time was the concept of God a necessary assumption for the pursuit of science? Anyone who conceives of religion as being some type of ancient proto-science is, I feel, completely missing the point. Science is concerned with HOW the universe is, religion is concerned with WHY the universe is. To ask 'why' may be unanswerable and completely wrongheaded, but it appears to be of profound importance to a great many people. So much so, that they are prepared to affirm the most ludicrous claims in order to maintain this 'meaning'.
 x_file
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:35:50 PM

But that’s exactly it. Hawking is using the “empirical and the theoretical” to arrive at his conclusion that god isn’t necessary to create the universe.

Sure.

God isn't necessary to create the universe... meaning the equations of mathematics/physics gives us a sufficient explanation of "how" the universe was created - and by created we don't mean "brought into existence" but rather how the universe expanded to its current state.

In other words, if the universe was a cake, we know the recipe (or think we do). Even if we don't know who made the eggs, the cholocate, etc., given the elements and the recipe we know how to "create" a cake. The word "create" is used in the practical sense - as one would expect.

Perhaps if Hawking used the word "made" rather than "created" there would be less confusion.

Hawking isn’t saying there is no god. Rather, like that (apocryphal?) saying of Pierre-Simon Laplace, he “has no need of that hypothesis” in his explanation of cosmic origins.

Exactly. Posing God as a hypothesis doesn't give you anything extra - the hypothesis has as much or less explanatory power than the laws of physics (or certain equations) so why bother with God when physics/mathematics is just as good... which is another way of saying what Hawking is saying... again keeping in mind that science is concerned with the "practical" or "how" rather than "Why" or "Who".
 late™
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/11/2010 1:21:33 AM

In other words

Ahhh... let's violate the law of parsimony...

if the universe was a cake

The "cake-o-verse"!

....never mind.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/11/2010 4:04:56 AM
If you’re referring to the Sean Carroll clip, what he’s saying with respect to quantum mechanics isn’t far-fetched. After all, we should be reminded that quantum mechanics is one of the main pillars of modern physics.

kardinal, yes that's the clip i'm referring to. i'm familiar with the most basic concepts of quantum physics and consider myself a "fan". well, not that quantum physics can have fans like mother mary and the saints can have fans, but you see what i'm saying. i just found that video clip to be a ridiculous non-sequitor. because if his premise is true, then so is mine. which is why i made the sarcastic comment about hawking turning science into a religion. it's not that i necessarily think that's what he's done (i didn't read the book), but i do think that's the spin that sean carroll is putting on hawking's book.

As the Nobel laureate physicist Steven Weinberg has tersely said, "Science does not make it impossible to believe in God, but it does make it possible to not believe in God."

now *that*, i have no argument with whatsoever! maybe sean carroll should have cut to the chase instead of clouding his promotion with the rest of his crap about calling quantum phyiscs into play and then waiting "X" years to explain "the entire universe" :) what can i say, the guy irked me.
 x_file
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:17 PM

But we should realize that asking even this “why” or “who” question about who created what exists or why it exists in the first place is begging the question.

Of course. The next logical question is "Who created the creator?" and/or "Why?"

There is no end to this type of regressive reasoning.

It presupposes at the outset that the question is even a valid one.

Certainly. This is true for most if not all questions.

Thus I think it’s entirely an open question as to whether question "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" is in fact a valid one, and I side with Grunbaum in thinking it’s a pseudo-question.

I agree. For me, and most philosophers there is no beginning or end of existence/reality - it has always been. Therefore if the universe is all there is, then it has always been. If not, it must owe it's beginning, directly, or indirectly, to that which has always been. In either case, we know the answer.

This is why many scientist are not concerned about the "true origin" of the universe, but rather its "practical origin" - meaning "how it expanded".

That is to say, I agree with Grunbaum that things can just exist, and that there need not be an explanation for that fact.

I agree with the base idea.

I disagree with the idea that things can't just exists. For me only one thing can "just exist" - thought I wouldn't call it "a thing", and I wouldn't say "it exists".
 scorpiomover
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2010 1:37:04 AM
Thanks for the article and video. It left me with lots more questions than I had to begin with. But I love to learn new things.

My question: For those creationists out there,
I do believe in G-d, and that G-d created the universe. But I do not share the views of the stereotypes painted about those people who are called "creationists" in these forums. So bear in mind, that you simply cannot work out my views from reading what has been written or told to you about "creationists".

do ideas in science such as these at all undercut or shake your belief in a god, personal or otherwise? (Honesty would be much appreciated.)
They CAN. I often find myself questioning my beliefs, when I consider arguments against my theistic beliefs. I had such a moment yesterday. If I really found arguments that were stronger in logic and reason than my personal reasons for believing in G-d, and that G-d created the universe, then I would change my beliefs.

So far, I haven't found such proof. I've found a lot of people who CLAIMED they had such proof. But when I analyse their arguments, in the same ways as I analyse everything in my life, then I find problems in their proofs.

I also analysed the article, and the video, and found problems with both.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:00:14 AM

Thus I think it’s entirely an open question as to whether question "Why is there something, rather than nothing?" is in fact a valid one, and I side with Grunbaum in thinking it’s a pseudo-question. That is to say, I agree with Grunbaum that things can just exist, and that there need not be an explanation for that fact.

On that one, I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Of course, much of my reaction to this kind of reasoning is visceral in that to say that something like the universe can simply exist because it exists just doesn't "feel" right. It offends that innate understanding instilled by millions of years of evolution that effect must follow cause.

I think, however, that to characterize it as a "pseudo-question" is also incorrect in a very real sense in that it is dismissive of a legitimate course of investigation. Indeed, the only difference in the Creationist approach is that, rather than just saying that everything is because "it is," Creationists go a little further to say that everything is "because of God."

Cosmologists are actively involved in the search to find evidence of "preconditions" to the big bang. Though there is no predicting the result of any scientific endeavour, it is at least plausible to suggest that the results of such an investigation might well result in some particularly profound findings of what we term "reality," although I am far less inclined to impose my particular biases on what constitutes "ultimate reality" than our mutual friend App seems to be.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2010 1:15:22 PM
RE Msg: 26 by Kardinal Offishall:

Here I am reporting a summary of what I've been hearing over the last 10 years from religious people and non-religious theists about the discussions on theism and religion with atheists.

It's my summary, and my report. So you are quite willing to say that I could be wrong. You might have entirely different experiences as an atheist. Religious people and non-religious theists might behave entirely differently in the USA. But this is the general outlook I am coming across, as an insider, of the views of religious people and non-religious theists, of different religions and non-religion, of different nationalities, who are resident or visiting the UK, in the last 10 years.

To sum it up, as far as religious people and non-religious theists are concerned, they no longer care what atheists think. They are simply getting on with their own lives, and ignoring atheists, until they talk themselves into proving themselves wrong.

Here are the points addressing your points:
I think we’re going to see a lot more theologians and religious believers taking pot shots at physics and cosmology from here on out.
I was expecting the same. But what I've experienced IRL, is that whenever I am now bringing up arguments like this one, that my religious friends and my non-religious theistic friends ask me why I am even bothering to consider these arguments, as they have heard so many pro-atheist arguments that they have seen holes in, that they see no point in continuing to consider new claims from atheists. They seem to believe that there is no point in even arguing the point to help atheists, as they seem sure that atheists are now so closed-minded, that they refuse to consider anything that differs from their world view.

Personally, I see an increasing number of atheistic scientists and atheistic public figures talking about proofs against theism more and more as time goes on.

And I think they’re right to feel unnerved. For a while now a lot of them have helped themselves to physics and cosmology to motivate strong anthropic reasoning. But the tide is starting to change. A growing number of physicists are starting to speak out against strong anthropic reasoning (rightfully, by my lights).
Religious people that I know, and non-religious theists that I know, seem to not consider themselves the centre of the universe. Rather, they seem to see anthropic reasoning as a form of false reasoning that suggests that "because man has thought of it, it must be right".

As I see it, the multiverse and ideas in cosmogony like Hawking’s are a direct affront to theology and religious apologetics.

Said theologians and religious apologists will increasingly have to deal with a growing full-frontal assault on their ideas by sciences like evolutionary psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and cosmology. (For instance, there are numerous ongoing interdisciplinary research projects now looking at the neurocognitive underpinnings of religious belief and their evolutionary basis by scientists of all stripes -- and such empirical work has been growing fast in recent years.) It won’t just be simply evolutionary biology simpliciter that’s the enemy anymore.
Actually, the latest developments seem to be used by religious people to support their beliefs.

In addition, religious people that I know, seem to not see science as an enemy of their religion, but as a friend and complement to their religion. It is non-religious theists that I know who seem to see science as in conflict with their beliefs.

Religious people and non-religious theists that I know, see the new discoveries of science as nails in a coffin, just as atheistic scientists do. But the religious and theists see them as nails in the coffin of atheistic scientism, as an indicator of the death of the tyranny of scientists to proclaim that they are the all-knowing ones.

I have met several people, who never mentioned G-d or religion at all, and who feel that the scientists are letting them down when it comes to helping them and the world.

It seems to me that there is a conflict between science and something else, that is becoming larger and larger, but is a conflict between science and the ordinary people of the world, who are becoming more and more dissatisfied with what the scientific community is saying.

At the same time, there are a lot of problems in the Western world, that threatens to overwhelm the West. These problems seem to be increasing on a regular basis. These problems are problems that scientists are expected to address, as they cover the fields of research that science does. But the solutions provided by scientists are only once every several years, only solve a small part of any one problem, and seem to cost billions for each country. As each country in the West seems best by ever-greater economic problems, even the few solutions that are coming from mainstream science seem to be infeasible to achieve for the majority.

The religious people that I know, see this as an indicator that we are living in an "end times" before the coming of their messiah. The non-religious theists that I know, see this as an indicator of a paradigm shift in global consciousness, to a world in which science will return to being a tool for the world and nothing more, in which theists will be considered the equal of atheists, and in which everyone will accept the lessons of world religions, regardless of personal views.

All in all, the way you have described things going, is exactly the way that religious people and non-religious theists see things going. The differences seem to me to be that they see scientific discoveries proving them right, and atheists wrong, with atheists taking senseless pot shots at religion and theism more and more, and with them in the death throes of Western atheism, as eventually, the science will be too overwhelming to deny. Either that, or the West will just be so caught up in a web of denial, that it sinks to become vassal states of China.
 slybandit
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/22/2010 11:18:21 AM
In response to Kardinal Offishall's msg 21:

It's possible that Grunbaum is right, and that the existence of anything is a pseudo-question.

But here are a few reasons to think that Grunbaum is wrong.

At the risk of radically oversimplifying Grunbaum's position, Liebniz's presumption of the "ontological spontaneity of nothingness" that is doing all of the intellectual 'heavy lifting' to supposedly demonstrate that the question is a pseudo-question, because it supposedly rests on an intenable presumption that we have no reason for presuming it when it is pointed out.

In English, Grunbaum is saying something roughly like, "there is no puzzle to answer or explain as a result of the existence of anything, because the non-existence of anything is not spontaneous. If the non-existence of anything is not spontaneous, then neither is the existence of something (or rather, everything) something that needs to be explained."

But Grunbaum overstates his case.

The coherence of a question about the existence/non-existence dichotomy does not disappear once you point out that nothingness has no more reason to be considered spontaneous than the existence of something, or everything.

The question is still there, it is only its formulation that has become more precise.

We have existence, rather than non-existence, of the World (meaning everything, including G-d in "everything" for this purpose).

The question is not, why existence, rather than non-existence, but rather what is it that allows for the existence / non-existence dyad?

Why is "being" or existence *possible*?

Why is there possibility or contingency at all?

In a roundabout way, this is really a question about truth. What caracteristics does (or do) reality(ies) have such that they are capable of description at all? (This is a different question than the one about whether any of our descriptions are substantially accurate.)

It's also a thus a question about intelligibility-- what characteristic does even nothingness, the absence of properties, have, such that we can understand and refer to it?

Another way of putting it is that yes, things **can** just exist. But all the heavy lifting just moves to the word "can", and that contingency is no more entitled to be considered spontaneous than non-existence is.

Why contingency rather than necessity?

Oh and the claim that "most historical cultures prior to Christianity did not think the question needed an answer -- they simply thought reality could exist, period" is pretty much hogwash. Rare is the culture that we have any evidence for that completely lacks some sort of creation-myth, which tends to demonstrate that they considered the existence of the world to be a question which needed an answer.
 merelymortal
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/1/2010 1:17:33 AM
But there is a difference between the weight of an expert opinion and a layman's opinion in a court of truth. What is relevant to proving the truth of the matter asserted, which is whether a creator was necessary for the existence of the universe or not, is something that physicists alone would solely reign supreme in expertise on. Priests and prophets and religious leaders create meanings for life. Why we are living, not how we are living, is their expertise. Scientists look into facts and reasons why things are what they are, they don't need to give a reason, they don't need to create values like creators do.

What I have failed to see in this conversation is whether or not we need a god in order to create a meaning to our lives, or whether that creator of values can be one of us.

I don't think we do need god, and this has been covered by Nietzsche.

Basically, to sum up what Nietzche has to say in a couple of sentences is this:

Socrates was wrong and a rational theoretical life is impossible to live for human beings.

Reason only leads to the abyss, we can look out into space and see that we are small parts of a huge expanse, we can look inward and divide our parts until we get to meaninglessly small and insignificant parts that still can probably be divided even smaller such as quarks or strings. None of this means anything.

We can try to move backward and say that we believe in god, but none of us really do, we are all just cosmopolitan people, concerned with putting food in our mouths, getting laid, and getting a good nights sleep before the next pointless and meaningless day of self-satisfaction.

Since the enlightenment, when people lost any real connection to the eternity(God, Allah, or whatever), humanity has pretty much drifted into nihilism (aka materialism).

/end of Nietzsche's assertations

THAT, should be the real philosophical discussion here.

The OP is asking for someone who believes (or is deluded to think the believe) in a different reality than Hawking to respond to Hawking's assertions in Hawking's language, but they don't even speak the same language, and if that person tried to, they would fail, because they don't know science, the objective search for the truth met by breaking nature apart and observing the results is incongruent with the knowledge of someone who reads scriptures and seeks meaning to life.

Asking someone to create a meaning for life that is congruent with breaking nature apart and looking at observations is ludicrous. There is no meaning to doing that. That is simply truth seeking, and it can't give you a god that sees vice or virtue...

There was once however, a living prophet who advocated doing that though, and his name was Socrates... and he gave no meaning beyond finding the truth... lol
 sum1reel
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/1/2010 7:58:28 PM

But there is a difference between the weight of an expert opinion and a layman's opinion in a court of truth. What is relevant to proving the truth of the matter asserted, which is whether a creator was necessary for the existence of the universe or not, is something that physicists alone would solely reign supreme in expertise on.

WTF makes you think that physicists have corned the market on what universal "truth" is, when they and their 'tools' become USELESS at the level of the singularity....which in other words means that they cannot know the TOTALITY of our (or any) Universe!..............Hawking sounds foolish in saying: "spontaneuos creation is the reason why things exist, and are created from nothing".....when nobody really knows what "nothingness" really is, or if such an entity really exists.......the same can be said for "infinity" and "timelessness"

What I have failed to see in this conversation is whether or not we need a god in order to create a meaning to our lives,

you could create whatever meaning you want to life....irrespective of there being a God or not!

I don't think we do need god, and this has been covered by Nietzsche.

just because somebody postulates that we "don't" need God, doesn't mean that such a God does NOT exist!

None of this means anything.

this is merely his opinion!

We can try to move backward and say that we believe in god,

saying you believe in God (aka=paying lip service) and actually "living out" your beliefs are as different as day and night

Since the enlightenment, when people lost any real connection to the eternity(God, Allah, or whatever), humanity has pretty much drifted into nihilism (aka materialism).

and just what "real" (=true) connection did pre-enlightenment pple have with "god"?
---------------------------------------------------

if he was making an opinion in the realm of physics, I would give his opinion more credibility, but since his opinion is about something that cannot either be proved or disproved, whats the point?

This discussion is truly a perfect example of mental masturbation.

I fully agree!...^^
 OpenEyes
Msg: 38
Posted: 10/4/2010 2:14:03 PM
His field of expertise is the fundamental building block construction of the universe. Who do you think is a better 'expert' on the existence of god? A professor of theology? The pope? Somehow they strike me as having a conflict of interest.
 merelymortal
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/7/2010 1:30:18 AM

Hey merely

you wrote:
"But there is a difference between the weight of an expert opinion and a layman's opinion in a court of truth."

Only if the "expert" was testifying in his field of expertise............... Hawkings field of expertise is physics, not religion, so his is just another opinion, merely more mental masturbation.

Paul K

Not really Paul K, Hawking was really just pointing out that something came out of nothing. Something about membranes of two parallel universes or something. It doesn't really matter anyway. The relevant question is whether god exists in reality. This reality, the universe we live in, is without a creator. Human beings are the creators of god, and even you admit that when you claim that religious experts even exist... I mean, really? Who knows more about god than anyone else? Has anyone ever seen god? Met god? Spoken with god? Has there ever been evidence? Is that evidence verifiable?

Science has its limits sure, but religion is dead as a door-nail.

You can bribe someone or threaten their life and they will change religions, but they can't change the laws of physics. Human nature is like every other animal's, to survive. We are only different in that we want to know why. Religions are lies that make up reasons why, that is their purpose.
 merelymortal
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/7/2010 1:42:02 AM

His field of expertise is the fundamental building block construction of the universe. Who do you think is a better 'expert' on the existence of god? A professor of theology? The pope? Somehow they strike me as having a conflict of interest.

They have no real conflict of interest. A true religious leader creates values. A natural scientist has no values. In an ideal society in which everyone was rational and civilized, this wouldn't even be an argument.

What we are seeing here in this argument is that some people who believe in values that contradict science are so committed to their values that they wont accept scientific facts. There is no reasoning with people who are truly committed to religious values, they will not be convinced, they are irrational, and they will stay in the cave that their religious demagogue has made for them no matter what anyone says because they think they know the truth no matter what anyone else says or what they see with their own eyes, because they are committed/devoted.
 OpenEyes
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/7/2010 4:33:53 PM
That's what I'm saying; a religious leader won't be an accurate judge on the existance/non-existance of god because their sole employment (not to mention way of life and worldview) depends on people believing in him. Same for a professor of theology; you decide that god doesn't exist and your entire field goes up in smoke. That makes for a conflict of interest.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Stephen Hawking: God Did Not Create the Universe