Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How do you make white chocolate?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CMonster
Msg: 3
How do you make white chocolate?Page 1 of 1    
Lidnt makes Lindor Truffles which has a white chocolate flavor. It's sold in many large grocery chains and drug stores.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 5
view profile
History
How do you make white chocolate?
Posted: 9/29/2010 12:48:05 PM
Lecithin is an ingredient added to make processing the food by machinery far easier. In the quantities used, it almost untasted.

Leave it out, no problem.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/29/2010 4:15:57 PM
I looked into making my own chocolate. Waaaaaaaay too difficult. And I'm the girl who grinds my own powdered sugar, makes my own alcohol free flavourings/extracts, makes my own mayo, ketchup, etc..

It is cocoa butter, sugar, milk, and milk powder.

**HOWEVER** powdered sugar and milk powder aren't fine enough to blend well. If you want smooth creamy chocolate, you have to buy a grinder to continue grinding the sugar and milk powder down to a suitable size in the mixture. You can buy grinders that can be modified for this purpose- they still cost about $400.

So- bakers white chocolate is white chocolate. Melt it into a bar if you want, but I highly doubt you're going to want to make it from scratch.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2010 6:13:28 AM
Ok, OP, I thought you lived in the wilderness of Montana or something. Are you seriously suggesting you can't find white chocolate in NY? Really?
 CMonster
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/30/2010 1:12:12 PM

Ok, OP, I thought you lived in the wilderness of Montana or something. Are you seriously suggesting you can't find white chocolate in NY? Really?

NYC???!!! Seriously?

Try an Internet search for New York Chocolate Tour.
 Redlance71
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2010 10:51:02 AM
Since you are in populated area try Trader Joes, cosco, or any health food store. I love white chocolate too, but it's bad for my diet and I live in small population area so I'd have to drive at least 40 or 90 miles to find some or buy online. I once saw an awesome chess board made of white and dark chocolate, even the peices were chocolate!
 Belle Requin
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/1/2010 11:20:50 AM
The difference between baking white chocolate, and a white chocolate bar is the shape they come in. That's it. There is no difference otherwise. If you want to melt it down and pour it into the bottom of a parchment loaf pan, you could effectively make it a bar. But trust me- making chocolate from scratch is NOT easy or practical for most people.
 arwen52
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2010 10:04:25 AM
Good luck finding a recipe to make your own. Even the chocolatiers I know don't make their own chocolate.

Yes, it can be that complicated. Do you make your own chocolate from cacao beans? It's quite a process. Extract the cocoa butter from them and go from there. Get it? You probably don't have the right equipment or access to the right kind of ingredients.

White chocolate is a misnomer but there's good quality available. Go online if you have to. Surely it's available in New York. I can buy it in St. Louis in a number of places.

You can buy lecithin in health food stores. It is an emulsifier. It's made from soybeans.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/12/2010 10:34:45 AM
Actually, I found cocoa butter to be quite cheap- it's that Santha wet grinder that's the expensive part. Although, if they're only 175$ now, they've come down in price since I was last looking. I couldn't justify $300 for a piece of kitchen equipment just for making chocolate.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How do you make white chocolate?