Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Most Attracted      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RushLuv
Msg: 1
Most AttractedPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It appears that there is a new option available, because I have never seen it. Here is what it says when you click on the link.

The Following are users that we are pretty sure are interested in you. We hope that you will find some of them attractive. This page is only available to women, and the results of this page will change as you begin to use the site. Go ahead and message them!!!

I clicked on the link to view my options, and it appears that some of those men under my list were men that have emailed me in the past and I wasn't interested.

It also says that the new option is only available to women, so does this mean that "Most Attracted" is not available to men?
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 2
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/3/2010 7:01:01 PM
I just noticed this new "option" myself.

I'm not sure that I understand the point of it. And why it's not available to men.

Kinda sexist, doncha think?
 smartypants24
Msg: 3
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/3/2010 7:08:56 PM
I just checked mine out...ALL of them live in Ontario...I live on Vancouver Island...not exactly a good match
 RushLuv
Msg: 4
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/3/2010 8:06:15 PM

Kinda sexist, doncha think?

Dun! Dun! Dun! It looks like admin has some explaining to do. I can't wait to see what his input is regarding the new feature.

It should be available to both sexes, but my options are crap. Therefore, it's nothing to flip over.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 5
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/4/2010 3:46:22 AM
Only a few of mine live within 300 miles so clearly it's POF's way of knocking my self-esteem down a peg.

None of these attempts to match people will ever be successful on a large scale until the users are able to rank how important certain attributes are or at least until the system can make logical conclusions on certain categories, like the fact that someone who wants kids isn't a good match for someone who doesn't.
 markus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/4/2010 2:07:17 PM
Can't really generate the list for men, and not for forum users.
 Gashlycrumb_Briny
Msg: 7
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/4/2010 3:09:44 PM
^^^ Can't or won't? If you can do it for any one profile, why not any one other?

this feature probably looks at the number of times someone has viewed your profile

Is it overriding the "hide that I viewed a profile" setting?

(Most Attracted = Most Stalkerish?)

some of those men under my list were men that have emailed me in the past and I wasn't interested.

Yeah, but they are still attracted to you anyway, apparently! ha ha ha.
 softy63
Msg: 8
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/4/2010 6:15:29 PM
If my suspicions/speculations are anywhere close, this feature probably looks at the number of times someone has viewed your profile, and once it crosses a certain threshold then it registers a spot on your "Most Attracted" list

That was my first thought when I noticed the new feature yesterday. My list contains people I'm currently talking to on a regular basis.
Why is it only on a woman's profile - probaly to encourage them to start emailing more given that men need little provocation to email ...

I also agree with Trapped that it seems women don't email as much as men do.
 RushLuv
Msg: 9
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/4/2010 6:36:39 PM

I also agree with Trapped that it seems women don't email as much as men do.

We don't because we really don't need to, to be frank. Plus, admin really didn't give a specific explanation on why the list is only available to women, aside from this:

Can't really generate the list for men

So perhaps he tried to create the new feature for both sexes, but it didn't work out. Who knows.
 Envoute
Msg: 10
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/4/2010 11:08:43 PM
I don't care who it's available to I just wanted to know what it was.

the number of times they have visited your site sounds like a good guess.

I find myself clicking the same people over n over cause I find the thumbnail attractive and then the profile not, maybe that happens with mine as well?
 abelian
Msg: 11
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/6/2010 10:41:20 AM
As some of these features are dependent on site usage patterns - forum usage tends to skew results for forum particpants as has been mentioned by Admin in the past for certain features.

So basically, the feature relies a lot on whose profiles one views, possibly weighted by how many times one views the same profile. That would easily explain why it doesn't work well for forum users. If that is true,it is a featire for guys insofar as repeatedly viewing the same profile would put a guy higher on a woman's list.

I could imagine the feature taking into account who one contacts or with whom one exchanges messages, but I imagine that would make the feature objectionable if that were true as it would spoil whatever illusion of privacy many people seem to think exists on the interent. I can see how that would also be a problem for forum users and for men in general, since in both cases, contact is either not made for reasons related to dating or is less discriminating based on profile content than for women.

As with any other computer matching scheme, if you want the computer to do the work for you, don't complain about the people you meet.

Well known obvious fact - no great epiphany there - hence the "probability" of the new feature to encourage the ones that don't into a different mindset - that being losing the bewilderment of "is he or isn't he interested - should I email, or wait"

I would think that from the standpoint of matching people, the better strategy would be to provide features for those who are really interested in finding someone to date, rather than goading people into doing something they aren't really inclined to do. On the other hand, from a business standpoint, I can see how getting a few more clicks from apathetic members would be more useful than simply redirecting very active members to profles that are better matches but would not result in more usage so much as better directed usage. Call me a cynic, but I don't think any dating website is interested in matching people beyond the point of diminishing returns with respect to how increased dating success anong existing members attracts new members and inhibits attrition due to frustration to a greater extent than the attrition due to success.

Programming code is independent of gender - what works for one gender, works for the other code wise.

Men and women go about selecting mates differently, so although the code would generate matches in a gender independent way, the matches would not necessarily mean the same thing independent of gender. To make sense out of computer output one has to interpret it in a meanigful way. In this case what is meaningful is gender dependent.
 softy63
Msg: 12
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/6/2010 8:53:28 PM

yes markus you have ruin what was a great dating site...maybe its that girlfriend you have now...is she the one making you change things that didn't need to be change...

Ooohhh, nasty! I know I questioned the "Children and smoking" thing but I have a life and since disregarded my thread. I use this site as simply another tool in search of meeting a lovely man. Yeah I have questioned and have posted angry things in the past but, on reflection, I've read over what I posted and laughed at myself.
 humminbirds
Msg: 13
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/8/2010 11:47:06 AM
First on my list, someone looking for intimate encounters, of course he may be interested in me, considering one of the restrictions on my profile is must not be looking for intimate encounters. Some of the other profiles are from parts unknown, sooooooo that doesn't leave many profiles to browse.
 TheToefactor
Msg: 14
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/8/2010 2:31:17 PM

Well known obvious fact - no great epiphany there - hence the "probability" of the new feature to encourage the ones that don't into a different mindset - that being losing the bewilderment of "is he or isn't he interested - should I email, or wait"

reminds me of when scientists put rats in a maze.

another over thought redundant feature.
 Arejaydee
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/27/2010 7:28:42 AM
Since this "Most Attracted" feature is available only to women, I'm curious if the men likewise have another feature that is available only to them, that we women do not know about?
 RushLuv
Msg: 16
Most Attracted
Posted: 10/27/2010 7:40:58 AM
^Doubtful. Someone would have mentioned it by now.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Most Attracted
Posted: 11/26/2010 4:36:35 AM
I am consistently disgusted by sex-discriminatory assumptions in PoF programming, such as the height and income limitations - as well as this, and the now-defunct "bad date" blacklist feature. And I thank the women who "out" them.

ED BEAR
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 18
Most Attracted
Posted: 4/20/2011 7:06:47 AM
Users can view profiles while "hidden", thus never showing up on your "Who Viewed Me" page.

In fact, anybody on the internet who has happened to stumble across PoF is able to view your profile.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 19
Most Attracted
Posted: 4/20/2011 11:34:38 AM

If my suspicions/speculations are anywhere close, this feature probably looks at the number of times someone has viewed your profile, and once it crosses a certain threshold then it registers a spot on your "Most Attracted" list - hence why forum usage will no doubt skew results. Why is it only on a woman's profile - probaly to encourage them to start emailing more given that men need little provocation to email ...

Well, based on my experience with this site there are far too many road blocks for the male user population and the fact that there is far too much anonymity with profile viewing as well as messaging now, that men are going to start deterring from messaging as much. Why? Well seeing as how you now have to pay to see whether a woman has read your message or just outright deleted it like so many of them do without taking the time to reply, eventually it will get to the point where men, myself included, won't bother with messages and will aim to use chat since it's quicker to communicate.

I think the ability to hide the fact that you have viewed someones profile should be removed, seeing as how everyone can use it and you have no idea whether people you are messaging to establish communication are even reading your profile.
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 20
Most Attracted
Posted: 4/20/2011 8:01:24 PM
It's a pretty****move to shunt people off without so much as even a glance. The fact that you can anonymously view profiles coupled with the fact that people have to pay in order to see whether their messages were actually read or just deleted, is a complete slap in the face, especially towards men. It's rude enough when we take the time to send messages to other people and they get instantly deleted without being read, it's even more rude now that we don't get that function anymore without paying for it, along with the fact that even if they read the message, about 95% of the time the messages that get sent, you never know if the recipient actually read your profile. I have sent plenty of messages to women on this website and have yet to see a response. Why? Because either they are shallow as hell, or they can anonymously view profiles just like men can. They are stupid functions that shouldn't exist, and you shouldn't have to pay for such primitive features either. So much for this being a free dating site, it's become a pay site so much in the last year or so that it's become insulting, next thing you know it we will be forced to pay to send messages.

All of these problems existed before you had to pay for anything, and they still exist now only they are just going to keep getting worse. Get rid of the anonymity of profile views so that people can tell whether the messages they are sending are getting read or not, if they are reading our profiles then it just shows that a lot of women really don't care about meeting someone and are expecting to pick through every pretty boy hoping to find one that isn't a complete****

Oh, and I am sorry if anyone disagrees with my observations. Sometimes I feel like I am wasting my time with such silly features that don't exist even on the full pay membership websites. Either pitch the credits thing to see whether your messages are even getting read or just deleted, or pitch the anonymous viewing of profiles so every person can see whether their profile is being viewed or not.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Most Attracted
Posted: 4/21/2011 5:09:38 PM

When you dont get a reply it could be a few things...
1. They saw the subject and ignored it
2. They opened it, and decided not to reply
3. They opened it, read ur page THEN decided not to reply

ALL of them mean the exact same thing - that woman doesn't want to respond to YOU!

how difficult is that to understand?
 Aquarius239
Msg: 22
Most Attracted
Posted: 5/3/2011 5:25:26 PM
I am wondering the same thing and have the same situation. If you find the answer - I would like to know. :)
 beach_girl84
Msg: 23
Most Attracted
Posted: 6/8/2011 7:01:31 PM
i found this guy's profile on my most attracted list,however he never viewed me or even sent me a message. Is there a feature to hide urself if you viewed someone's profile??
 RegularWoman
Msg: 24
Most Attracted
Posted: 8/20/2011 7:58:08 PM
I would like clarification on the "Most Attracted" feature as well. My list changes several time a day. There is one man who appears on the top of my list for several hours, then is bumped to a lower position, then completely disappears for days at a time. I assumed the list was generated by men who viewed my profile multiple times. This particular man has never showed up on my "Viewed Me" list...but I assumed his mail settings allowed him to view me without my knowledge. What I don't understand is why he appears and disappears from my "Most Attracted" list.
 0stark0
Msg: 25
Most Attracted
Posted: 2/22/2012 8:03:46 PM
Men can view this with a little trickery. After tinkering a bit, I found out how to view this page as a male. What I did was go to edit profile and change my gender to women, log out, log back in, then change it back to male and walla! I was able to see who was stalking my page:) You can bookmark the page so you can view it whenever you'd like. If you keep your gender as a woman after logging in it will show no results because it looks like the code is analyzing based on your gender, so you have to change it back to male after the log in to get it to work, but the "Most Attracted" option will be there until you log out and log back in.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Most Attracted