Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile v3.0 - your thoughts please      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RobsterUK
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Profile v3.0 - your thoughts pleasePage 1 of 1    
I've just rewritten my profile and added a new main picture, so hoping people can give me some feedback, thanks!

As I use the site more I think I'm becoming less worried about what people think, which seems to mean my profile is getting longer and I reckon means more of my personality is coming across, which I guess can only be a good thing for finding a good match.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 2
Profile v3.0 - your thoughts please
Posted: 10/5/2010 2:14:52 PM
I agree with your post. The more relaxed you become with online contacts and your profile, the more authentic your profile will be.
I think your pics are good. I would delete the second pic and consider using the last pic of you snowboarding for your main pic and the next to last pic as your second pic- the main pic you are currently using as your last one.
Continue to take current pics and add them to your profile regularly. Drop any that are over a year old IMO as you continue updating the pics.
Also continue adding to, and streamlining your profile as you have done, on a regular basis.
Cheers
 softy63
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/5/2010 2:36:58 PM
I must say your main photo is probably the clearest one I've ever seen. You must have a good camera!
Just add what kind of lady you're looking for and you'll be fine.
You look like a really friendly guy.

Best of luck. x
 pasmal
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/5/2010 4:14:49 PM
Good job on the smiling close-up, your best pic, and very good for a thumbnail. No one seems to be able to do it, but you did. Yes, add a paragraph at the end "about her".
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 4:20:26 PM
It's best not to completely not care what people think. After all, you're here to find someone and that's the person you essentially write the profile to. What do you think that person would like to hear?

Note: There's been a lot of UK posters here recently. O__o

Your first paragraph is good. However, "friendly" and "sociable" aren't convincing words. I was going to say that making a group of friends would cover the "sociable" part but what traits do you have? Are you comedic? Can people always come to you for advice? The same goes for being friendly because having a group of friends and partying it up don't necessarily make you friendly , you know?

I love banter and think sarcasm is the best form of wit, so if that's your thing we should get on pretty well.

This isn't apparent in your profile though. You don't seem sarcastic at this point. Well, that's a good thing because sarcasm doesn't work so well on the Internet. Secondly, this part is a bit contradicting. You say you're sociable and friendly but this part sounds as if anyone outside of sarcasm and banter wouldn't be your cup of tea. Would you not get along well with someone who was non-sarcastic and preferred more personal relating than banter?

Snowboarding part is already in your Interests bar. The alternative is personalizing it by telling why you took that up or what you like about it. The same goes for your music section or you could list specific bands rather than genres. Don't list too many though because you don't want it to become a huge Ipod list.

I didn't see any purpose behind the TV shows especially considering you don't watch TV that much. If it's not important then why mention it? Much like the music and TV, the movies bit is kind of filler too.

We already know you want to snowboard more so that's redundant in the "Things I'd like to do" part. I'm usually against focusing too much on what you do or want to do but you could explain why you want to do those things at least. Personalization is a must in any profile to prevent it from being stagnant.

If you ask me you should have more paragraphs in a similar light to the first. The first was the best one in my opinion and you could take a few other dimensions of yourself and include them into your profile. For example, who are you when you aren't with your friends or out somewhere? Is there a distinction? What type of person are you here for? What's something about life that you believe or do not believe in? That's the type of stuff I wanted to hear at least.
 RobsterUK
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 5:12:15 PM
You have a point about the way the sarcasm bit could be taken to exclude others, I've changed that bit. You're right sarcasm doesn't work well on the internet, which is why I've not tried to use it in my profile. I'm actually struggling a bit right now with the sarcasm/internet problem as I've been messaging with a girl who I think mainly contacted my because she likes sarcasm.

I think its a bit difficult to demonstrate traits like being sociable and friendly in writing beyond just saying that you are those things.

I mainly included the TV shows to give an indication of my sense of humour but I suppose it doesn't make sense to say I don't watch much TV then put a long list (I actually don't even own a TV) - I've removed that now.

I do have fairly distinct beliefs around political and environmental issues but I thought that kind of thing was probably a bit heavy for a dating profile. I guess it is a side to my personality and could show I know my own mind, what do you think?
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2010 6:00:23 PM

I'm actually struggling a bit right now with the sarcasm/internet problem as I've been messaging with a girl who I think mainly contacted my because she likes sarcasm.

She might have and if so then it can be problematic. Sarcasm seems to be the go-to icebreaker or the one dimension a lot of people converse in. That in itself isn't necessarily the issue. The problem is when that's all your connection is with someone. Sarcasm is only one area of your personality and it's self-limiting for both of you if that's all she wanted to explore. Trust me, it's so much more exciting talking with someone who is interested in you as a whole because there is NEVER a dull moment. You have a smaller chance of running out of things to talk about. If you like talking to her then go for it but don't be afraid to toss her if you go out of sarcastic mode and she doesn't like it.

Yeah I can relate to it being difficult demonstrating your traits. It actually takes a bit of soul searching and time away from distractions to articulate yourself without using adjectives. It's almost impossible for some (or a lot) people who thrive off talking to people and action rather than internal reflection. The profile will have a better impact if you at least try in my opinion. Even if you can't then it won't kill your profile. People might pick up that you're more social if they are too and be attracted.

I should have been clearer about beliefs. I didn't mean politics or necessarily environmental issues. I meant your outlooks on life, what you think about people, how you see yourself and things of that nature. Politics are generally a no-no for profile. Environmental issues wouldn't do any harm but the beliefs I talked about are better to me.
 softy63
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/5/2010 6:05:11 PM
but that doesn't mean I don't like to dance like an idiot every now and then!

Love it!!! I think most of us dance like an idiot after a few drinks!!!

I mainly included the TV shows to give an indication of my sense of humour (I actually don't even own a TV)

You're funny. Great profile (i see you removed one pic), great photos, great personality and I reckon you'll do just fine on here.

Well done and all the very best to you. xx

Edit: Oh and don't forget to write what kind of lady you're looking for. xx
 RobsterUK
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 12:23:16 PM
I'm back after a few years and have spent some time updating my description and photos, and would appreciate your feedback. All constructive criticism appreciated. Thanks

Profile:
http://www.pof.com/viewprofile.aspx?profile_id=7310658
 RedrockJen
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/24/2014 2:20:28 PM
Hi.

I think your text is very well written. Only one thing: "Things i'd like to do:" Capitalize your I.

Can you adjust your main so it does not cut off the top of your head?

Good luck.
 firefly416
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 2:36:43 PM
I love your profile. Technically we must be in each photo so your pens shouldn't be on their own. However, until someone meaner than me complains, can you ask the orange and green ones to change places so they will be closer to rainbow order.

The right woman will love your wit and sarcasm. I laughed when you said sometimes you stand with one foot out the door. Really, I'd date the my age version of you. And in the US, you'd be average instead of a few extra pounds.
 9Pluto
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2014 5:58:00 PM
I liked the little humor in your post because when I read the profile, it was exactly what I thought .... a relatively evolved profile version, 3.0 sounded right on! LOL

I think you've done an excellent job portraying yourself with the permie crowd. I only had one issue, which concerned what you are drinking:
I don't drink, but I still do all the fun things with my friends who do
First Date
A few drinks in a chilled out pub so we can chat and get to know each other.

The main picture is striking, and first impression was too much Photoshopping, but then I looked at the main picture carefully and decided it was just you just did a better job post-exposure than 99+% of everyone else and there was no cheating. You’re good!

If I were to have an opinion regarding attractive content, I would not be enthusiastic about the oft-quoted:
For the last couple of years I've tried to live by this advice:
"The secret to happiness is to do what you like, the secret to success is to like what you do"
since it has become a commonplace motivational "proverb". I don't get its profundity; to me it is like reading my astrological column. Since it makes the rounds on the Internet so much, surely I'm the one missing the boat ;-)

A more direct in a heart-to-heart if I wanted to discuss "success" would bring me resolution on this, rather than describing my decision to go solo with a proverb as the keystone of my profile. If you really want to discuss the satisfaction further, a honest statement saying that you are more content with a business of risk, marginal profitability, and slave hours in a bad year rather than being constrained by someone else's cubicle ... OK, really the profile is nice and my only real need was to fix the drinking part.

Cheers!
 RobsterUK
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2015 6:23:37 AM
Hi, I'm back again and just given my profile a rewrite. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the latest incarnation. I've heard a few people say that mentioning politics is a no-go on a dating profile, but I've decided that it's important to me and the right person won't mind.
 Chromis1
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2015 6:58:40 AM
What's the scoop, Robster?

It's been more than five years since you first posted in this forum. Did you make changes and find success? How is the current version working for you?
 call_me_tater
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2015 8:08:18 AM
Hi Robin,

The pics and write up are good.
What's your opinion on why it's not working?
Could it be your messages?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile v3.0 - your thoughts please