Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 1
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Hello everyone,
As I am approaching my 50th Birthday this month, I have been thinking of all the things I have had and done in my past and current years. Wondering where the next part of my life will take me, therefore, feeling a bit of a twinge. So, my question is as stated in the title, does everyone experience this, surely I am not alone?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?
Posted: 10/8/2010 12:02:26 PM
Are you sure that twinge wasn't from your back or hip? LOL

Yeah, I think most people at least pause for thought at the decadal birthdays. I have, and overall it's a good thing, as you may evaluate where you've been and where you now want to go. Getting there is the hard part!
 daynadaze
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2010 1:51:21 PM
Twenty-five bothered me, I don't know why but that was the last time my age gave me a twinge. Tomorrow is the start of my last year in the 50 and next year I'll be 60. I don't much care for the wrinkles, the sagging and the aches but I don't think I should be given my youth back either. It's just my age, I've earn it, I don't put much thought into it.
 itechman63
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2010 2:56:32 PM
When I turn 50 my oldest daughter will be a Senior in High School and my youngest will be a Freshman. So I'll postpone the dread until 55.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2010 4:04:32 PM
Each "Yearstone" marker has it's sense of significance.

At 20, it's common to think you are finally an adult.
At 30, it's common to think that it's time to STOP saying "when I grow up, I'll...".
At 40, it's common to worry you are about to be over the hill.
At 50, many people worry that "it's all over."
I haven't reached the other ones yet, but I expect:
At 60, to think "shouldn't I have grandchildren by now?"
At 70, to think "I REALLY wish I could have stopped working a LONG time ago."
At 80, to think "Holy crap! I didn't expect to ever be THIS old! Now what?"
At 90, to think "What did you say your name was? And mine?"
At 100, to think "So THIS is what the inside of a coffin looks like."

More significant, should be the LEGAL yearstones:
At 17, I had to register for the draft, so I could be forced to join the Army and go to Vietnam, if the war went long enough (it didn't, by six months).
At 18, I could vote.
At 21, I could buy wine.
At 25, I could rent a REALLY big truck.
At 35, I was allowed to be the President of the United States. This didn't pan out, but it was nice to know it was okay.
At 50, I was allowed to join AARP and get some nice discounts.
I wont get any OTHER rewards for surviving, until I'm 65, when I can retire on FULL social security (like I'll be able to! Hah!)
At 72, I'll make the last payment on my house (if I don't refinance it again).
I'm pretty sure if I reach 150, I'll be allowed to do anything I want, without anyone stopping me (or noticing).
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/8/2010 5:24:09 PM
...To be honest, I feel a twinge every now and then. I don't think it's so much my ageing as it is how fast time seems to flying by. It scares me sometimes in that I haven't accomplished all that I have set out to do.
And the thing is....I want to be able to do all this stuff before my betrays me....Now that's when I get those "twinges" Lol

...mae
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/8/2010 6:57:47 PM
Eh...I guess, to some degree. I'm also at that 50 marker very soon, and at the beginning of the year I made a choice to NOT MAKE ANY CHOICES this year. That is, I wanted to just let the year float and see where it took me.

It's been interesting. I guess really it's no different than other years, but sometimes it's nice to just sit back and think "I'm not gonna worry about that this year - I'll decide in 2011".

Someone asked me what I'd do that's special, and I'd already done it, so I figured I'd just buy myself some silly useless gifts for the sake of a good laugh and relax. I might take the day off work - I don't usually do that.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/8/2010 7:51:21 PM
Wow, thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I am relieved to know that others have and do feel some of what I am experiencing. While I have many things to be grateful for, I do feel encouraged to embrace this birthday with arms wide open. I generally tend to take one day at a time and deal with whatever is in store in stride, and this is exactly how I intend on spending my birthday. Let the count down begin.......2 weeks & 2 days !!!! Thank you!!
 weathervanes
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2010 9:13:07 AM
I think this is the best time.....sure there's things we wish we could do over but why worry about them now!!....take it one day at a time and enjoy!!!...
 URXO2
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2010 12:42:38 PM
Chronological age and biological age can differ greatly, numbers are just that numbers! 50 wasn't so bad but I did choke alittle on 60, to some degree it's genetics but the path to aging well involves diet and exersise, you don't have to be a fanatic but you do have to invest in yourself..
 ForumFilly
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/10/2010 10:50:22 AM
Ms, I'm turning 60 next month. 50 was a piece of cake. Every landmark birthday causes some twinges or pauses. I think of all the things younger people have accomplished that I haven't and I feel that I haven't used my life to it's maximum potential. Why didn't I go to med school or law school? Why didn't I start my own company and become one of the top 100 most powerful women in the world? Why? Because that's not who I am. I am a woman who had a child at 18 and raised him to be a wonderful man. I had a 30 year career as a respiratory therapist and have saved countless lives. I'm unable to work now and miss being able to do the things I could do at 50 but I'm grateful for what I still can do. I'm grateful for my wonderful family and friends and for the fact that there maybe a special man entering my life... the most special of any I've met so far. So how can 60 be bad?

Be grateful for all you have and all you will continue to enjoy. We are lucky. We have a longer life expectancy than our parents. 50 is the new 40. 60 is the new 50. We both just gained an extra decade!! whoo hoo!! Lucky us! Let's get out and enjoy it!
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2010 11:55:32 AM
My daughter turned 26 this last week and said she feels old. I laughed.
 GingersnapWA2
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/10/2010 7:17:41 PM
Yes, I experienced a twinge when I turned 50. A twinge of Relief that I have made it this far.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/10/2010 7:46:22 PM
Turning 50 didn't bother me at all. The only birthday that did was my 30th. I cried off and on all day. It was the most depressing day of my life.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2010 8:57:16 PM
on my 50th birthday, I'd been dating a 37-year-old man whose friends consistently said HE was too old for ME ... I felt as though I was impervious to the aging process ... I was going to live forever ... and look 35 throughout all eternity ...

my secretary had my name and age announced in the radio, on television, had a coffee mug made with my name, the date and my age ... she had huge banners strung from one side of the hospital where we worked to the other, announcing my birthday and the fact that I was turning 50 ... EVERYONE in the hospital knew I had just turned 50 ... all my friends outside work knew I'd just turned 50 ... STRANGERS IN THE STREET ...

I didn't have TIME to consider any philosophical personal feelings about the passing years, my mortality, the aging process ... I was too filled with homicidal rage toward my secretary! ! !

DrummingNut
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/11/2010 6:59:49 PM
In my 50th year I had something extremely traumatic happen
which changed my entire life..all aspects of it.
I had no thoughts of the number "50", I was busy trying to survive.

Survive, conquer, adjust, and carry on I did.

And now? I do have 60 looming on the horizon and I sometimes find myself thinking "good gosh, that's really a trip!! Is that really happening to ME?"

Ah, life is really .. interesting.
 moraima
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2010 7:38:19 PM
"The year I turned 50 my husband was diagnosed with cancer and 6 months to live. He was 44. I found it impossible to whine about my age due to this"

I so hear you.

I wouldn't dare to b*tch about my age. My late husband died at 38. The twinges I feel are old age, nothing more. Birthdays have zero to do with my twinges. I giggle even time someone says, "you can't do that old".
 cookie22222
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2010 8:01:15 AM
Daynadaze - 25 hit me hard too...I thought I was the only one. Of course I was in a terrible relationship and just kept thinking "how did I get here?"...

I turned 40 two months after my fiancee died - he was 33, and had spent the past year teasing me about being his "old woman", turning 40! THAT was what bothered me - that he wasn't there to carry on about how old I was getting.

I'll be 46 in 10 days...really since 25 the only twinge my age has given me has been more like stunned shock when I think about how old I'm getting...LOL...but it's true, I just feel like "me" inside, and age doesn't play into that at all.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2010 3:58:02 PM
if only it were just a twinge....

my friends are convinced i've entered full-blown depression and are trying to get me to go to the doctor about it...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/13/2010 11:10:24 AM
I can't remember experiencing any twinge at any age, unless it
was when I was younger and I've forgotten.
I LOVE birthdays...we always make a big deal out of them in my
family. My daughter's and I always have the day off (for theirs and
mine) and we spend the whole day doing something. Usually it means
wearing party dresses, sometimes we go to shows, sometimes to
museums, once we just went to a giant furniture store and walked
around pointing out what we'd buy if we were millionaires.

My 60 is just a few years away and I'm hoping we're having a party!

anogamesgirl1
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2010 11:45:41 AM
No big deal to me. Will be 52 shortly and the 'age thing' hasn't really bothered me yet
 kangarucci
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/16/2010 5:14:37 AM
I recently turned 60 and the only twinges I get are from sitting too long driving around Australia. I am having the time of my life...responsible for only me, working when I feel like it and our $ is worth a whole lot more now.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2010 5:19:07 PM

I have just turned 50 this year and I hate it!!

thank ghu, i'm not the only one!

and Rob... all due respect, but the next person who tells me "it beats the alternative" is going to get kicked - hard! i know from painful personal experience that not everyone gets to live to this age, but it still doesn't mean i have to *like* it.

*sigh*

as malckyb said "i have the head of a 25 year old!!" and i am fortunate that good genes, a lot of sunscreen and Botox still reflect back the face of someone about 35 in the mirror.
 c_deacon
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 11:35:31 AM
I have yet to feel my age, other than needing Ibprofin more often, so it really does not bother me, if it does not matter to you!!

If we are good together, enjoy each other, and most say we look good together, why sweat it??? Your age and my age is not what matters, it is what we enjoy and do together that does!!

cd......
 weathervanes
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 11:41:34 AM
The best reply yet...its what you make of future opportunities not "coulda, shoulda". Me--58 and don't feel a day of it...Cheers one & all!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?