Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what should i cook for a pot luck dinner?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 **LaLu**
Msg: 1
what should i cook for a pot luck dinner?Page 1 of 1    
ive never been to a pot luck dinner before..i dont really know what it means. what should i bring? any suggestions will be much appreciated
 tennis85022
Msg: 2
what should i cook for a pot luck dinner?
Posted: 7/18/2005 11:12:53 AM
Whatever you like. Don't listen to us. We don't know you or your friends and how couold we know what you like or are good at?

PS
 dallasguy99
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/18/2005 11:30:07 AM
Usually these dinners are a wide assortment of meatloafs. I am a huge fan of meatloaf, but seriously, how much can we take at one sitting. I like to take homemade fried chicken, ambrosia salad, barbecue ribs, a smoked brisket, that funky cheesy shredded potato concoction that always shows up is great, too. You only need one item, so it makes it pretty easy.

Try this for a guaranteed home run that is super easy. This reared its head when I was dating a brownie freak, and I wanted to woo her. This will elivate you to a god-like status among your friends.

Brownie Cake Ganache

(double the brownie recipe for a two layered version! You will have enough Ganache)

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (I like Scharffen Berger)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

Butter and flour a 9" round layer cake pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small heavy saucepan melt the chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth, and let the mixture cool completely. Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs. While still beating, add the sugar, a little at a time, and beat the mixture at high speed for 3 minutes, or until thick and pale.

Add in the chocolate mixture and the vanilla, and then add in the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture is blended well. Stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top. Bake the brownies in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the brownie pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan, and a cake tester, inserted in the center, comes out with crumbs adhering to it.

The Ganache

4 1/4 cups heavy cream
7 cups bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I still like Scharffen Berger)
1/2 cup Grand Marnier (optional)

Heat the heavy cream in a 2-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan until bubbles begin to form around the edge of the pan. Make sure you chopped the chocolate as finely as possible to allow it to melt quickly and easily. Place the chopped chocolate in a medium-size mixing bowl. Make a ganache by pouring about half of the hot cream over the chocolate and letting it sit for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Then, slowly whisk until smooth and homogenous. Do not add all of the hot cream to the cold chocolate at once. I use a hand-held immersion blender to ensure a smooth ganache and to keep the emulsion of the chocolate. Add the remaining cream gradually and mix until all of the hot cream is incorporated and the ganache is smooth and homogenous.

The ganache should be thick, shiny, and smooth. Add the Gran Marnier and mix until fully incorporated. Pour the ganache onto a plastic wrap-covered baking sheet and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Cover the ganache with plastic wrap and allow it to cool for at least 4 hours at room temperature. I usually make the ganache at the end of the day and let it cool overnight. As it cools, it will thicken and set.

When the ganache has cooled to the consistency of toothpaste, use an offset spatula to cover the brownie with the ganache. You may need to do a little slicing to make the cakes bunt up together if doing a layer (and I always do!) Go crazy and do three layers.
 page1952
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:01:04 AM
Pasta salad. I buy the coloured pastas. Add anything you like. I add peppers, carrots, red onion.
Then add a oil based dressing. I like krafts sun dried tomato.
 page1952
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:45:22 AM
I love the pumpernickel bread and dip. Would love the reciepe for the veg. lasagna.
 smith2267
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/26/2005 9:15:48 AM
Crock pot dishes are ideal for pot lucks. Decent crockpots have a "warm" setting that will keep the food ready for guests.
I make chili, soup, cheese sauce, and spaghetti in my crockpot.
 glenpr
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/27/2005 12:57:53 AM
Scalloped potatoes

People seem to enjoy them and at least you have a nice basic.
 smith2267
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/27/2005 1:02:26 AM
>>mozterzella cheese

Is this a cross between mozzarella and muenster? :D
 LilyofTX
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:42 PM
I have the perfect pot luck recipe! It's called Santa Fe Stew. And it is easy and very cheap to make and I have not met one person that did not like it. Even my daughter that hates beans and tomatoes!

Here are the ingredients:

1 lb of ground beef, cooked and crumbled
1 package of taco seasoning mix
1 package of ranch dressing mix
2 cans of Kidney beans
2 cans of mild RoTel
2 cans of Stewed tomatoes (cut up) or 2 cans of seasoned tomatos diced
1 can of Bush Pinto beans
1 can of Bush Pinto beans with jalepenos (or plain, your preference)
1 large can of Del Monte corn
Grated cheese (your choice)

Brown and crumble ground beef in large pot. Drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and ranch dressing mix. (No water) Pour all cans into pot, do not drain any of the cans. Stir well and heat.

Serve with flour tortillas, tortilla chips, cornbread, or bread & don't forget the cheese! Also might put sour cream out.

I promise it has always been a hit at the pot lucks that I have attended and cooked for.
Good luck!!
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/27/2005 11:22:07 PM
if you have a particular dish that your friends all love when you cook, cook that and just double up the recipe

you can make anything fro meatballs, to a pasta dish to a dessert, thats the joy of a pot luck, everyone shows up with different things and then you must FEAST!
 tiff!
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/16/2006 3:32:44 PM
i allways thought a pot luck dinner was ,everyone spike the dish with pot so i guess that is the luck ive got! tiff!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what should i cook for a pot luck dinner?