Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Online dating more difficult than real life!!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 surfingthehorizon
Msg: 1
Online dating more difficult than real life!!!Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Has anyone else found this to be true? I've been really shocked to find how difficult online dating is. In the real world I've met and dated very attractive woman who found me fun, interesting, and handsome, but wow.. based on the complete zero interest from anyone on this site, if I didn't already have the dating experience that I do I would seriously think something must be wrong with me lol. Anyone else experience this? I've been a member for a month and had a very respectful profile, must have been viewed by at least 100 woman and not one single e-mail! I've sent about 50 respectful and polite e-mails and only have had very uninterested responses. I just don't get it.. I thought online dating was going to be easier but I'm beginning to think that unless you are over 6', look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, you don't stand a friggin chance! lol Just curious if anyone else has had this experience. Also.. I finally widdled down my profile to a few sentences to see if that made any difference.. It didn't. Maybe it's the height?
 TDH49
Msg: 2
Online dating more difficult than real life!!!
Posted: 10/24/2010 1:51:14 PM
Maybe you should stick to dating in the real world. You seem to have more success there. Or so you say!
 forumfishie
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/24/2010 1:53:51 PM
What puzzles me:
is WHY a guy who: "In the real world I've met and dated very attractive woman who found me fun, interesting, and handsome"
Even think about on line dating
and how here everything is so difficult for those who do so well in the real world of dating

Let me guess?
You look so much better in person, right?
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/24/2010 2:01:28 PM
life and online dating is what we make of it
 RazzleRoadRunner
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/24/2010 2:21:51 PM
I've noticed some people treat on-line dating as though it were a Smorgasbord of sexual relationships.........you find something great now, but you look over and see something a little more spicy and that was only so so, and you look over and see........and on and on it goes. Some people just don't know what the hell they are looking for.....so they NEVER find it.

It's the same as dating in real life!
 CMonster
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/24/2010 2:27:46 PM
I've been really shocked to find how difficult online dating is. In the real world I've met and dated very attractive woman who found me fun, interesting, and handsome, but wow.. based on the complete zero interest from anyone on this site, if I didn't already have the dating experience that I do I would seriously think something must be wrong with me lol.

Sounds like an example that substance isn't necessarily a necessity when the initial meeting is face to face. Occasionally you can sit back and have your "flair" do all of the work for you.

I've been a member for a month and had a very respectful profile, must have been viewed by at least 100 woman and not one single e-mail! I've sent about 50 respectful and polite e-mails and only have had very uninterested responses. I just don't get it..
First thing that came to my mind when you said "respectful and polite" was an image of meeting your mother's girlfriends at a church social. Not saying that you shouldn't be respectful and polite to everyone but if you're attempting to meet women online it would help if you had a bit more "umph" in your initial correspondence.

I'm beginning to think that unless you are over 6', look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, you don't stand a friggin chance!

Here we go again... If you're don't have movie star looks or act like a jerk you have no chance in hell; yada-yada-yada...

life and online dating is what we make of it

'nuff said...
 surfingthehorizon
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/24/2010 2:37:28 PM
How did you know??? LOL I'm just teasing. Who knows, maybe I do?
 Vannili
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2010 3:35:01 PM
In real world dating life is harsh for me, men mistakes me for Jennifer Lopez butt...So I am hoping I have more chances here on POF fishing pond, at least I can see their pictures that was it was 20 years old, fake profile discriptions ect., ...... Duh as if I am not going to meet them in person in real world Taco Bell. Ay, yay ,yay reality sucks!!
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/24/2010 3:54:33 PM

I thought online dating was going to be easier but I'm beginning to think that unless you are over 6', look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, you don't stand a friggin chance!

Neither Brad or Tom is over 6 foot tall. Wow...you can't even get your whining right!
OP, you must be the kind of guy who opens a bottle of kitchen cleaner and actually expects some muscleman with an earring to come out and magically clean your sink.

Effort? What's that? Spoon feed, me Mommy! Really...every clown who claims to do better in the real world is FULL OF BS. Just like the customer in store that throws a hissie fit about the price of whatever it is he wants. If you can get it cheaper somewhere else, why are you HERE?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/24/2010 4:07:01 PM
~OP~ I'm going to agree with. In the offline world, I too, had much more success. The reason I prefer online, however? I'm not fond of bars, don't go to church, work behind a screen and see no other human beings most often and have a VERY small circle of friends who are not allowed to set me up on blind dates. That leaves the grocery store or here. This is not a quick fix, and if you are the least bit fragile in the ego department? I'd strongly suggest staying away from the net, this site in particular. The number-game here is mind boggling. There are smaller free sites that I had better luck on, but I'm not interested enough to keep profiles anywhere but here. I do agree you need to post more pics. It's a visual world here. Best of luck to ya.
 _Icon_
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/24/2010 4:24:15 PM
The introductions happen on the line but the actual DATING part is supposed to take place out in 3D world.

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

In real world dating life is harsh for me, men mistakes me for Jennifer Lopez butt...

Yeah, everyone mistakes me for Megan Fox, it's such a drag.
 arwen52
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2010 4:28:28 PM

I thought online dating was going to be easier but I'm beginning to think that unless you are over 6', look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise, you don't stand a friggin chance!

What makes you think that's the key to online dating success?

Really, you've only been here a month. I have no idea what sort of emails you are sending to girls. Perhaps you can post an example. As for you profile, right now it's pretty minimal.

If, as you say, you have more success in the offline world, perhaps that's where you should continue.

People come to online dating and think it's a magic bullet. It's just one more way to get yourself out there. It took me awhile to figure it out. I don't really rely on it. At this point, I'm mostly here for the forums. However, I still hold out the possibility.
 kojaks488
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/24/2010 4:48:34 PM
I don't use either exclusively, but simultaneously. Sometimes 'real life' works better and other times 'online' works better. I'd never give up one for the other though.
 RAMPERBILL
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/24/2010 5:07:17 PM
OP, you must be the kind of guy who opens a bottle of kitchen cleaner and actually expects some muscleman with an earring to come out and magically clean your sink.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And then I look in the mirror and realize it's me!!!!! Leave me to my delusions. I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure. No, it's me.
 likemyrock
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/24/2010 5:24:20 PM
Unless your profile is a replacement profile you've been here 2 weeks. Give it 6+ months and then tell us what happens.

IME it's easy to get a date off here, even without a picture.
The difficult part is finding someone that looks better (and I don't mean physically) to date offline than their profile and online communication suggest.

Offline is easier because 90% of your work is done by automatic pilot. Indirect communication, you and your body automatically responding to theirs.
You reject more people in a day (if you leave your house) simply by subconscious motivated gesture than you've emailed in the 2 weeks you've been here.
 surfingthehorizon
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/24/2010 5:25:37 PM
Ok ok, I'm taking some heat here that I wasn't expecting so i'll try to explain myself a little further. As far as why I'm on here when I've had better success dating in the real world, why do people take vitamin supplements when clearly they can live without them? Basically, I thought it would be a doorway to more opportunity being that I haven't met "the one" yet. As far as my claim that I've had better luck in person, I'm very friendly and have many times struck up conversations with total strangers that leads to friendship. My theorey is that most younger woman 18-35 are more interested in the fairytale of being swept off their feet rather than finding a fullfilling give-and-take relationship. I suspect that razzle and dazzle is far more appealing than keeping it real, but like a sparkler on fourth of July, razzle and dazzle turns into fizzle and drizzle.
 MichaelD1974
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2010 5:51:22 PM
I see what you mean. I still find online dating to be much easier as far as breaking the ice, just finding people who are, in fact, single and looking, etc.
 _Icon_
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/24/2010 5:56:47 PM
Is this how men really think?

What? You just step on the escalator and ride to the top?

You gotta climb the Stairway if you want to get to heaven.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/24/2010 6:11:00 PM
Since online dating is supposed to be an additional way of meeting people you aren't able to meet offline, and it's not a main venue - most should be spending a majority of time meeting people offline anyway and only coming here to supplement, so this discovery doesn't change much.

It's lucky for you - some seem to think meeting people offline is difficult.
 RushLuv
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/24/2010 8:40:22 PM
Yup. I've always said that Brad is the epitome of all men. Every time a guy starts his whining on these forums, Brad's name is always the one to get dropped. SMDH.

If dating in the real world works better for you, then delete your account off of here and stick to what works.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/24/2010 8:50:20 PM
I only come in here for the forums and commenting. I did the online meeting thing, through my late 20s, early 30s, absolutely hated it, just a bunch of bitter divorced men who aren't over the ex-wives.
 daynadaze
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2010 9:38:03 PM
Tom Cruise is barely over 5 foot, has a uni-brow and a huge nose, Brad Pitt hasn't looked too good since he dumped his wife for his mistress...I'm not sure all that many women are looking for either one of them. Truth is many women find many different actors sexy/good looking, doesn't mean that's what thy are looking for in a partner nor does it mean they aren't interested in you because you don't look like a movie star. There's not one thing you can do about women who aren't interested in you, on or off line. Dating is dating, the Internet is only one of several ways to meet people to date. Internet dating is not your enemy, maybe you need to look more closely at who you are trying to date and why it's not working.
 _Icon_
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/24/2010 9:58:48 PM
Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Too funny. Someone's been watching homo-erotic vampire movies again.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/24/2010 11:49:34 PM
brad pitt, tom cruise..... celebrity and money will overcome height and mange; just ask the girls the swoon over the duo

there is no razzle, no dazzle, no fairytale, and the 'one'
Did you fall for every stereotype they were handing out ?
 Sumthing_Awesome
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/25/2010 1:27:47 AM
IMO online dating does suck. Really the only positive is that it opens up doors for you to meet people you never would have had an opportunity to meet otherwise. But then again, who needs that? You encounter enough strangers in your routine life anyway. Am I right?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Online dating more difficult than real life!!!