Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Homeless asking for Money....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Homeless asking for Money....Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I never give them money. Food might be a good idea.

Up here the better ones will clean your windshield for your change. I wish they would just get a job.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 4
Homeless asking for Money....
Posted: 10/27/2010 9:53:43 PM
I never give money, though I've given lots of food and new t-shirts and have gone into stores to buy baby food/diapers/pet food. I've had my offers rejected numerous times. My favorite was when I offered a guy an untouched chicken Caesar salad with the dressing on the side, which he said he couldn't eat because he was lactose intolerant so he wanted cash instead. A month later, the same guy couldn't eat a roast beef sandwich for some reason so he wanted cash instead. Leave it to the Hollywood homeless to play the finicky eater card to try and get cash (if they are indeed homeless-- I had a friend who stopped giving out money when he discovered one of the regular bums on the corner lived in his building)!
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2010 10:02:39 PM
I don't know if this falls into this category, but just today, I was pressure washing the porch, when this black guy comes up to me saying that he didn't want money but wanted to get some food for his kid. I knew he was lying because a.) - he was smoking, and if he could afford cigarettes, he could certainly afford to get his "kid" some food.
And b.)- about 20 minutes later, I saw him drive by.... IN A BRAND NEW CAR. So, no... I don't give them money or food.
 LinuxD
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2010 10:16:45 PM
Never would i just hand them money. With one exception have i always refused them. A fella in Tampa I gave 5 dollars to because his sign said "I need money for beer" Honesty pays.

I've offered people to do small jobs in exchange for money. My rationale is ,if they are willing to work and make a couple bucks then who am I to tell them what to do with it,but a freebie hand out of cash.. never.
 cookie22222
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:55:26 AM
Franklin LA - beautiful post...

Do I hand out money? I work in the social services field - I haven't got any to hand out, usually. And quite frankly, it's not very common to have someone in my area ask you for money (usually they would just hit you upside the head and take your purse - hence, another reason why there is very little in purse most of the time). I have handed someone a few dollars, who said she had run out of gas...I have gone into stores and come out with sandwiches, etc., for panhandlers outside. I have never come across anyone being rude or refusing what I offer them. Being familiar with "the system" I will offer the names/locations of resources that may be able to help them, if the person appears to have the ability to understand.

I wonder how many of the people who wrote such scathing replies go to church on Sunday? Matthew 25:40.
 late™
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:59:43 AM
Here's my question: Do you give money to the 'homeless' who stand on freeway off ramps or a grocery stores with cardboard signs that say 'xxxxxxxxxx'?

Often, we keep some small bills and change in the console of the car for this very purpose. Some also sell newspapers, ...for this effort, I buy an occasional $5 newspaper (keep the change). I do so without expectation, judgment of others, etc. It doesn't matter to me if they're homeless or not, the simple fact that they put themselves in a position of such desperate self-estimation/marginalization, precludes any need for me to judge.

I don't.

Well, ...karma is karma, ...there are words, and there are actions. It's different things to different people. It's one thing to not give to others, it's another thing to actively promote why you don't, based on...

Not that I don't feel for those hurting from these crappy times, but I know there are may who make '$$$$$' doing this type of stuff.

So what?

There are those who do cheat any given system, there are those who don't, ...how do you tell them apart? As a corollary, why is it that; those 'haves' who chose to ignore the 'have nots' asking for help, so readily chose to also judge them?

There a plenty of charities around that will help those who are actually in this position.

Like anything in this world, these organizations aren't a 100% fix, ...they are band-aid solutions that work for some, ...not all.

I exit the 22 fwy everyday and see a new person there each day (they switch at least three times a week) which is weird for the homeless since they are typically territorially (unless they are working together). Recently, I saw a GREAT guy (I assume) give a guy a tupperware full of food.

Good for him, unless of course, ...he spiked the food (not to judge... but, does having a car make a person automatically 100% trust-worthy? ...if so, why?).

The guy just took it and dropped it on the ground.

Most people who panhandle on medians, keep their 'stuff' on the ground.

He didn't seem happy, no smile.

Not knowing the "guy's" circumstances, or anybody's for that matter, ...I wouldn't necessarily expect a smile from a person whose life circumstance may make smiling a rare occurrence. If the guy who gave away the food is indeed a "GREAT guy", he probably didn't judge either. Though, if he gave the food specifically out of a sense of control and suspicion of motives, ...he get's pulled from any list I would have of, "GREAT" guys, ...but again, since I can't know his circumstance, motives, etc. ...judging him either way is moot.

I think he wanted the money....

Well, ...there is more to life than just food, ...isn't there?

...so What do you think about this?

I think about what my late-mother used to say, "You never lose when you give". I also think of my late-father, who couldn't pass by a pan-handler without parting with a few bucks and more importantly, a word or two in recognition of his view that, in the absence of truly knowing another's life circumstance, they are to be accorded the respect borne from basic human dignity.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 10:02:53 AM
Yes, I will give a donation to a person that is on the street panhandling. I don’t make a habit of it, but if I feel safe enough to reach into my purse or wallet to toss some money into a hat, bucket or guitar case, I’m more than happy to give.

Recently, I saw a GREAT guy (I assume) give a guy a tupperware full of food. The guy just took it and dropped it on the ground. He didn't seem happy, no smile.
I’m sure that this would seem outwardly disrespectful to me if I saw it as well, though on further thought, what guarantee does the homeless man have that the person that handed him the food hasn’t poisoned it or done something else to it that would make him ill or kill him? Just because a person is in a vehicle and has a house doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have malevolent thoughts and takes action.

Excuse me if someone has mentioned the above, I didn’t bother reading the other comments in drafting my response… I would hope though that others feel the same way as I do in regards to personal safety…

Now to read the other responses...

***edit***

Ouch... I just read through the other responses and am shocked that so few people help out others in need. Here's hoping that I never become that jaded.

Oh, and as to the church question... I think it's a very good question.

Oh, and fwiw, I'll also feed strays...
 Twilightslove
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 12:27:53 PM
First of all, I don't think you necessarily have to be homeless to need a hand once in a while and after having to ask for help in the past I know how difficult it can be to get any help. Food is not necessarily a problem for those in need as there is Food Stamps, Food Pantries, and meals given at shelters to those who show up for them. We even have a church in town that feeds people during lunch on certain days for free. The high school kids often go over there to eat.

The biggest problems that I see these people having is a bed and roof over their heads when times are bad and that requires money a lot of times. You might think that they can ALL just go to a shelter but the truth is that there are not nearly enough shelters out there for people in need of such help and charities are extremely difficult to get monetary help from. In the first place, there are so many who need help and in the second place donations and government help is not nearly enough for those charities to help everyone. Then you have to recognize that charities keep so much of that money to pay their help and to keep their buildings up and running.

When all is said and done, people who are standing there asking for help really need help. Even if they are drug addicts and/or alcoholics it doesn't mean that they do not need help. Try to get someone who is addicted to something into a treatment center when they have no money or insurance and you will realize that they are the last to be served. It can take months before they are helped if they are helped at all.

I hope when I'm down that someone will care. I choose to give when I can as I see that as the right thing to do.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/28/2010 1:33:08 PM

I just read through the other responses and am shocked that so few people help out others in need. Here's hoping that I never become that jaded.

Refusing to give panhandlers money DOES NOT equate to rejecting people in need. In fact, some of us recognize that lots of people on the street have addictions to drugs and alcohol and financing those addictions is actually detrimental to those people. So while you may think your dollar is helping someone, I think it's hurting that person.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 3:26:56 PM
I just read through the other responses and am shocked that so few people help out others in need. Here's hoping that I never become that jaded.

Refusing to give panhandlers money DOES NOT equate to rejecting people in need. In fact, some of us recognize that lots of people on the street have addictions to drugs and alcohol and financing those addictions is actually detrimental to those people. So while you may think your dollar is helping someone, I think it's hurting that person.
As I said, jaded.

My exposure to people that panhandle leads me to believe that many of them suffer from mental disability issues and not drug or alcohol abuse... and if I happen to give five bucks to someone that does have an addiction, so be it... at least I know that I haven't denied giving someone truly in need money that they'll use for food or something to drink or hell... even a newspaper.

I live in a city that has a small community attitude, so you come to recognize those that are panhandling for sport and the ones that are truly in need of funds. If I'm going to err on a side, let it be the side of optimism and hope for others.
 Ideoform
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 3:42:49 PM
First of all, how do you know that they are homeless?
Begging for money isn't proof that someone has no place to live. It's only proof that they want money and only strangers will give it to them or they would be relying on friends and family or an agency that serves the poor. It might mean that they have exhausted these resources first, and are using the money to maintain an addiction of some sort and that is why family and friends have stopped giving them money.

When I was young, I used to work downtown at a corner where people were constantly asking for money in front of my building. I didn't make that much money, so I took the bus to work. Often people would ask me for money for the bus. At first I gave them enough for bus fare, but then I just didn't have any cash, so I offered my bus tickets or transfers. They took them once but the next day asked for money instead. I asked the guy why and he said it was difficult to sell the tickets for money. He laughed and said he wanted money for liquor. I didn't like being laughed at, so in the future I never gave money.

I didn't stop helping new people, but I watch them to see if they accept non-monetary help. If someone only wants money I just offer something else and if they refuse that, then I figure they really don't need my help, at least the kind of help I can give to a stranger on the way to work. Years later, I did some advocacy for issues that affect the homeless, and I continue to do some of that.

I have a relative who is "homeless." He lives this way by choice. He inherited a very large sum of money from his mother. But another relative is managing it. The first thing she did was to pay for drug and alcohol treatment at the best treatment center in the area. She let him help to choose among several treatment centers. He went through treatment three times, each time failed. He now has a small hotel room paid for near where he does odd jobs, but he doesn't always stay there. He actually prefers to live on the beach. He is often rude to my relative and demands money from his trust fund, but if he ever gets any he spends it on meth. He has taken everything given to him and converted it to money for drugs. He will say he wants a bike, a camera, a cell phone, but as soon as he wants money for drugs he sells them. He lived in a group home for a while, but they didn't like that he was still using drugs and kicked him out. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't sub-letting the place his trust fund is renting for him to live in so he can spend the money on drugs.

It's sad because this kid had everything. His parents were kind and successful and the children had everything they wanted and very little discipline. His father was an engineer for the space program and all the kids were very intelligent. I suppose they were just looking for more guidance because they all ended up on drugs living in the most expensive suburb in California. Their sport was surfing and I guess they picked up the drug habits there. The others have given up hard drugs, but this kid was the sweetest, most sensitive one, (when he was young) and he's never been able to get out from under addiction.

So sometimes people living outside are neither homeless nor without resources or money or family. Its sad, because the system prevents family from helping in some ways because they are adults and don't have to accept the help offered. I think that addiction and mental illness are the main problems and you can't solve these with pocket change from strangers.

I still sometimes give people I don't know some help, but seldom to people who are begging for money at freeways anymore. I know someone who shelters homeless people in her home, and they routinely go out to beg for money at the freeways. She gets them onto food stamps with her address, and so they get food, and sometimes she can get them health care. So they have food and shelter and medical care. They spend the money they get begging on alcohol and cigarettes. She says that often they are people who if they were children now, they would be put into special education. But these are people who didn't get that kind of help because it didn't exist when they were young.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:01 PM

My exposure to people that panhandle leads me to believe that many of them suffer from mental disability issues and not drug or alcohol abuse

It's pretty common for mentally ill people to use alcohol or drugs as a kind of self medication. I'm not saying it's bad to give them money to do that. It just seems like you were making an either or assumption that could be wrong.

I don't really get asked for money that much anymore. I used to get robbed often when I worked downtown at night. So I guess I've done my part.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:30:40 PM
Don't give Panhandlers money I got a Bum that panhandles by my turn to my home. I told him where he can get some work and chooses not to do so. He isn't mentally ill as far as I can tell just lazy. Also sometimes you have the crack head that will try and scam you for money, it isn't usally that I'm homeless, and hungry but broke and out of gas.
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/28/2010 5:52:16 PM

I think about what my late-mother used to say, "You never lose when you give". I also think of my late-father, who couldn't pass by a pan-handler without parting with a few bucks and more importantly, a word or two in recognition of his view that, in the absence of truly knowing another's life circumstance, they are to be accorded the respect borne from basic human dignity.

I like what your mother used to say...

I also remind myself of this when I'm feeling cynical about someone asking for a handout... "There, but for the grace of God, go I".

I prefer to offer solutions instead of handouts but have no problem taking someone into the store to buy them something to eat. If they need smokes, I'll give them some. If I give them money I don't judge what they spend it on, after all, I was taught to give what I can and to not expect to get it back. I "loaned" 5 bucks to a coworker this week, I don't expect him to pay me back. I also let him know that he is welcome to crash on my couch if needed.
 KiwiBassist
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/28/2010 6:47:42 PM
maybe just maybe some of these people have no family around? some are homeless because of high rents, where I live a one bedroom is well over $800, and a 2bdrm about 1200 plus utilities, you then need half a months rent for a deposit which many can't afford and even on welfare shelter is only covered to a max of $375.

We have a huge homeless problem in Victoria, even vancouver, its expensive and many come here because the winters are not bitter cold so they won't freeze to death if they so happen to have to sleep on the streets.

I have been homeless, needless to say i was working so we could afford food at least. My boss let us sleep at the work place at night or park our van outside and sleep in there if we had to. Sometimes things in life happen, so who are we to judge those homeless people. I am sure if education wasn't so hard to come by here, to get jobs many would. Ever tried to get a student loan? You can't if you have ever declared bankruptcy, have poor credit etc. So education is a barrier, to finding more than a minimum wage job that most certainly isn't going to cover the rent and utilities in some of these larger cities. Then they do get that covered some would still complain they would see them on the street begging for food next.

Since I have been in this position more than once in my lifetime, I see it from their point as well. I remember sitting down in the rain in Victoria one summer after doing a bit of laundry trying to keep warm, enough money to eat but not enough to even spend a night at a youth hostel. My partner at the time was at work, I had gotten off and done a load of laundry at the laundermat since I had gotten dropped off at work with the laundry and had a boss nice enough to let me store my stuff there.

As another poster stated those who haven't been in this situation wouldn't understand it. Not all homeless people are drunks or drug addicts, nor are they all lazy either. Why kick a person when they are already down, and many don't feel good about having to ask, there were many times I starved for a few days, until payday came along because when homeless you have nowhere to cook so you get stuck with fast food and stuff.

Never judge one, unless you are fault free yourself. We all have our stories and unless we walk in another's shoes, we will never know the true extent of their story.
 hungry_joe
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:47:42 PM
To Sahara:

I was homeless for a bit. So don't think I don't have empathy for those that are truely down on their luck. As to the person that I see everyday standing off ramp exit to my house. I have spoken to him, and told of of places where he can get work. So in this example I can call him lazy. Furthermore, even when I was without a home, I still had a job and worked for my money. As to the crackhead comment, that is a common scam that goes on in Fayetteville, NC, mostly those addicted to crack cocaine preying upon young unexperienced soliders that don't know their surroundings. I like a appology for you comment directed at me.
 Padawan61
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2010 10:59:50 PM
When a homeless person ask me for money, I turn the tables on them. Telling them that I'm a bit short on cash at the moment ... but if they could spare a few bills from their stash ... I would appreciate it very much. Gets rid of them everytime.

Do you give money to the 'homeless' who stand on freeway off ramps or a grocery stores with cardboard signs that say 'xxxxxxxxxx'?

As for the ones with signs targeting cars on freeway off-ramps ... they don't seem to approach my car. Maybe it's because I look very unapproachable. If one of them do come over ... I turn up the car stereo until they go away.

If I want to help I'll donate money or food directly to a local shelter

Heck ... I don't even do that. A local shelter was advertising for some administrative position ... offering $17 per hour ... complete with benefits. Nice to know how donations are someone else's livelihood.
 arwen52
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2010 5:39:19 PM
I wish they would just get a job.

Considering that unemployment is around 10% and that highly skilled people are often out of work for over a year, exactly where are the jobs that you think they are going to get?

A large percentage of homeless people are mentally ill and not capable of holding down much of a job.

Still, I do not give money to people on the street. I *have* worked at a soup kitchen and a shelter. Once my husband and I picked up a guy who was hitchhiking. It was night, it was raining. He'd had some hard times, was heading west to try to stay with family. He was going to sleep under a bridge that night and was coughing. He wasn't asking for anything, just a ride. We took him to a Motel 6, paid for a room for him for the night, and gave him some sandwiches we had in our cooler. He was blown away. I hope he got his life together.

We've all needed help at times. There's a difference between helping and enabling. And some people are constitutionally unable to care for themselves - mentally ill or mentally disabled people. You need to use some sense.

wisguyingb
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/29/2010 6:04:45 PM
The army could always take a few able bodied and willing people off the streets. Heck they feed ya, cloth ya, house ya, and even pay you. Sure beats living on the streets and I personally would not hesitate to go back in if I was looking at living on the streets.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2010 6:12:31 PM
Tool theft is very high amongst construction type jobs and those guys absolutely need their tools to work. Their employers do not supply those tools. The employer expects the worker to have already purchased them. Depending on their field those tools can be hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Taking someones tools is like crushing their hands in a vice till the bones break.

I can see a person stating that they cannot work if their tools were stolen. These are often jobs that these guys have done all their lives. Many of them do not hold a high school diploma and yet we cannot live without their highly specialized skills.

Sometimes you have to be able to think about what you would do if you were in their shoes before you just write people off as not worthy of help.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2010 7:45:02 PM

In the end we're all just human beings.
Yup, and when I feel "led" to give money to a homeless person... I NEVER concern myself with what they may do with it. These are "control issues" over things which are NOT ours to "control".

Here's how I do it (give money)....and it eliminates all the "uncheerful giving" and begrudging someone less fortunate, and feeling that I even have the RIGHT to decide who does and does NOT deserve a lousy $20 bill.

I say to myself, "LORD, please bless this money which YOU have provided to me, and use ME to bless someone else who is (for whatever reason) in the depths of despair"! When I hand them the $20, I simply say....."God loves you."..... The REST....my friends, is up to Him. It's NOT about what we give, or who we give it to. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who never realize that the GIVING is NOT...for the person to whom we are giving....it's FOR US (the giver).
 sexyisback!
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/30/2010 12:24:41 PM
hopefully good intentions won't get you in trouble, it's in a well-lit populated area busy with people when/where you give.

what CAN at least potentially happen, and does some times, is someone asks for money , (or for the time, or a cigarette, etc., etc.) and while you are distracted with reaching down to pull out your wallet/look at your watch/get a smoke, etc. they whack you over the head knock you out & steal everything you have -or just grab the wallet & run off with it..etc.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/30/2010 8:33:54 PM

There's a difference between helping and enabling.

I totally agree, which is why I'll contribute anything other than money. Coincidentally, tonight I was leaving the store when a woman approached and asked for money and as I started to say no she said, "...or diapers" and behind her I saw an open van with two toddlers inside and a man standing beside it. I went back in and bought the diapers but I wasn't about to give her the cash and take the chance that money would be spent on something detrimental.

Some people have said they ask themselves, "Who am I to decide what they should do with the money?" Well, I'm the one who wants to know my money has actually provided assistance rather than financing a serious problem. I know that plenty of good people make horrible decisions as a result of the clutch of an addiction or mental illness and I couldn't possibly feel like I was "helping" if I aided that. Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith are a couple of well-known examples that show that giving people what they want isn't always the best thing for them.
 Padawan61
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2010 10:22:24 PM
"Way I see it, maybe he is going to buy a drink with it. Or drugs. Or a sandwich. It doesn't matter, I don't care. Whatever it is that guy needs, he needs it right now, today. I can't help him with his bigger problems. But I can help him with what he needs right now, today."

Well, I couldn't argue with that. So I give

But I can argue that. On a different thread ... some posters defended people's experimentation with soft drugs ... that such "trial runs" won't lead to harder and harder ones until the person end up a full-blown addict ... as if doing drugs was a God-given right. Many drug addicts/alcoholics started somewhere and I won't give money to support a person's drug habit. If they have to go cold-turkey ... so be it.

I surmise those posters' defense of soft drugs was based on their own habit. On this thread ... we're asked to suspend judgment on homeless addicts like it wasn't their fault. The problem with society today is that no one wants to hold people accountable for their poor choices in life. Without such accountability (and this can be said of addicts or young moms ... with no money to their names ... popping babies) ... no wonder the world is going to $hits ... giving charities the "poster people" needed to promote their agendas and siphon money from our wallets.

All the homeless supporters on this thread should realize that ... although it is your prerogative to give away your money to panhandlers, it is also the prerogative of non-supporters to withhold money. Trying to shame us into joining your bandwagon with such quaint and tired ol' phrases like "There, but for the grace of God, go I." and "Walking a mile in someones shoes" ... won't work.

If we're gonna use worn-out adages ... how about "A fool and his money are soon parted".

LMAO!!! So...wait tables, wash dishes, clean hotel rooms, scrub toilets, deliver pizza, who the hell would sit around and just let their life wither away because their tools got stolen...

What do you think is harder to do.

Ask strangers for money.

or

Wash Dishes

If the stranger was a gullible bleeding heart type ... they're easy picking. However, for us cynics, they would have a better chance of coming into some cash by washing dishes.

The only difference between someone on street asking for a dollar and any charity, is the charity's has a larger marketing budget.

So why not tell UNICEF to go out and get a job and stop asking for our money

And that is why I don't give to many charities either.

We've all needed help at times. There's a difference between helping and enabling

There's a difference between needing help at times for things happening beyond a person's control ... like unemployment because of an economic meltdown. It is quite another when such a setback in life causes people to succumb to drugs, alcohol and gambling ... simply to divert their attention from the misfortune at hand. I would help someone who legitimately need it ... that is, those who haven't chosen to compound their misfortunes with vices. Once they go down that path, I won't waste time and money on them. Usually, they're beyond help anyway ... and are only looking for their next fix. If you give them money for that fix ... you're enabling them.

If someone was hit by a bus (through no fault of his own) and could no longer work ... that's one thing. It is quite another if they decided to take up drugs.

Homelessness calls for compassion, not judgment. You don't know the person's circumstances, or the reason for those circumstances. For instance, look at how many of the homeless are war veterans

War Vets (at least here in Canada) can access services specifically set up for them. I wonder how many of those younger people standing on off-ramps with signs targeting vehicles for money were War Vets at one time??

In the end we're all just human beings

Yup, and when I feel "led" to give money to a homeless person... I NEVER concern myself with what they may do with it. These are "control issues" over things which are NOT ours to "control".

Here's how I do it (give money)....and it eliminates all the "uncheerful giving" and begrudging someone less fortunate, and feeling that I even have the RIGHT to decide who does and does NOT deserve a lousy $20 bill.

I say to myself, "LORD, please bless this money which YOU have provided to me, and use ME to bless someone else who is (for whatever reason) in the depths of despair"!

The last time I checked, God's existence hasn't been absolutely proven. So I do have the RIGHT to DECIDE and CONTROL what to do with money that I HAVE earned.

Addiction is a tough concept to grasp if you haven't had to walk in their shoes

Uhmmm?? I wonder how they became addicted in the first place??
 arwen52
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2010 10:37:31 PM

The army could always take a few able bodied and willing people off the streets.

The guys I see on the street aren't even close to being qualified to serve in the military.

Tool theft is very high amongst construction type jobs and those guys absolutely need their tools to work. Their employers do not supply those tools. The employer expects the worker to have already purchased them. Depending on their field those tools can be hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Taking someones tools is like crushing their hands in a vice till the bones break.

I can see a person stating that they cannot work if their tools were stolen. These are often jobs that these guys have done all their lives. Many of them do not hold a high school diploma and yet we cannot live without their highly specialized skills.

I worked in construction for 13 years. Those are good paying jobs. Any guy who has been working in construction and doesn't have at least a little money saved, or a credit card so he can replace his tools, has got some problems more serious than having his tools stolen. And believe me, you aren't going to give him enough to replace his tools. If they are really working in construction, even if their tools were stolen their coworkers would help cover for them til they got their tools replaced. Those guys are scam artists. We get them around here, too. I've seen the same guy in different locations with the same story. Locked his keys in the car, he needs $36.50 for someone to come and get into his car, etc., etc.

I was walking into a cafeteria downtown one evening and a guy asked me for money, told me he hadn't eaten for three days. I said no and walked in. I thought about it. I bought some chicken, some greens, a baked potato, and some coffee, set it at a table. I went back out. I said, "Here, if you really haven't eaten, I've got dinner for you," and invited him in. I then went and got my own dinner and sat at the other end of the cafeteria. When I left, I saw that he had eaten the chicken and drank the coffee but left the potato and the greens. As I walked out the door, I saw him leave the bar across the street with a package of cigarettes.

I've given people my lunch. I've given them a snack bar I was carrying to eat later.

There are ways of helping people and I've done it through working with and contributing to organizations that help people in various ways. But I don't give money to people on the street.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Homeless asking for Money....