Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Rockabilly?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AeroWrench
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Rockabilly?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Are there any rockabilly people here. I Know we are very hard to come by down here in South Texas. It gets frustrating not being able to meet new people who share your interests and lifestyle. Who's with me?
 DoctorRain
Msg: 2
Rockabilly?
Posted: 11/9/2010 2:55:22 PM
I like some, but I am over in South Florida. Could move to Austin in the future though.. not too sure yet.

I am into Cigar Store Indians and stuff like that, Brian Setzers stuff especially his 13 album or Rev Horton Heat.

I am into old time stuff and bluesy kinds of music as well.
 Son_House
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 11/9/2010 8:23:47 PM
Wanda Jackson is pretty damn good, and she has a new album coming out after all these years. It's produced by Jack White and he's been able to do some amazing things with older musicians who are just getting around to recording again (i.e., Loretta Lynn). Should be a good one.
 pirateheaven
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 11/22/2010 9:01:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dude you shock me. First you know Son House and now Wanda Jackson. You are a throw back from waaaaay back! You really need to listen to Elmore James though.

Some of my main main influences are:

Elvis during the Sun Years and guitarist Scotty Moore
Gene Vincent and guitarist Cliff Gallup
Carl Perkins
Rick Nelson and guitarist James Burton
Johnny Burnett and the Rock n'Roll Trio - guitarist Paul Burlison
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 5
Rockabilly?
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:07:46 PM
Is anyone here aware of the Million Dollar Quartet recordings? Presley, Cash Perkins and Lewis all met at sun studios one night sometime in the early seventies I believe. Just for fun they laid down some tracks. For years the very existence of these tracks was denied, in fear of law suits. Every one of them would have been in breach of contract with their current labels. I have heard a segment of a gospel tune the recorded that night. Anyway, I understand these tracks may get released in the near future!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 1/10/2011 9:51:17 PM
Do yourself a favour and go over to YouTube and type this in :

The Tielman Brothers 1960 NL-TV Rollin Rock indorock.

Ever see a drummer do a solo while walking around his drum kit ?

1960 , on a Dutch Television show, and it's an amazing piece of showmanship from the entire band. If I ever come across a time machine, I'm going to go back to the stage door at that Dutch TV station and sign these guys up for a showt at the Apollo Theatre and be a milionaire.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 7
Rockabilly?
Posted: 1/19/2011 11:55:46 PM
My old bandmate, back in Houston circa 1986-89, played in the Tuff Darts, which is the band Robert Gordon got his start in (IIRC)(CBGBs, NY, 1978 or so). John was the best guitarist I've ever played with. We used to screw around with "Telstar" by the Ventures. The first time I heard him play the second "stanza" I just stopped playing, I was so amazed. He made his axe sound like it was underwater, without benefit of any stomp boxes, just the reverb in his amp. Best guitarist I've ever played with.
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 1/27/2011 6:50:02 AM
Houston's got a great rockabilly scene at the Continental Club. The venue is pretty much devoted to rockabilly/roots music. Tons of local bands, too many to list.
 straycat19
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 2/21/2011 4:07:31 PM
My name says it all.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 10
Rockabilly?
Posted: 2/21/2011 5:19:53 PM
Love any kind of rock- classic rock, alternative rock, country rock, rockabilly, etc.
The great thing about music is following a genre- rockabilly and all music continues to grow with new bands. Love it. There's a lot of it in Ft. Worth as well.
 R U Right for Me
Msg: 11
Rockabilly?
Posted: 3/15/2011 11:41:57 PM
Don't forget Eddie Cochran 'nervous breakdown'
 2findU
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 7/20/2011 3:59:28 PM
Jeff Beck has a good rockabilly album called "Crazy Legs".
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 7/21/2011 1:35:57 AM

Is anyone here aware of the Million Dollar Quartet recordings? Presley, Cash Perkins and Lewis all met at sun studios one night sometime in the early seventies I believe. Just for fun they laid down some tracks. For years the very existence of these tracks was denied, in fear of law suits. Every one of them would have been in breach of contract with their current labels. I have heard a segment of a gospel tune the recorded that night. Anyway, I understand these tracks may get released in the near future!

Actually the Million Dollar Quartet happened on Dec. 4th 1956. The recordings have been available in different forms for years (bootlegs at first, then semi-legit recordings Sam Phillips leaked under various guises-and finally, legitimate issues of the music). All the members of the Quartet were part of Sun records. There is actually some kind of Broadway play or musical that relives that night. It is said to be pretty good.
 GoddessJ
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 7/30/2011 2:47:38 PM
You think you have it hard in TEXAS?! It's the birth place of Buddy Holly!

Try living in Northern Indiana. It's a practically non-existant thing in this area. Plenty of people will see a band (once every couple months when one actually performs around here) and think "wow, that's interesting/decent/etc" but don't have a clue about the music, the scene, etc.

I stick out like a sore thumb when I go out, between the red lips, hair flowers, and penchant for polka dots. People around here tend to fall into categories of thuggish, skanky, preppy or plain old sloppy. It's almost impossible to find a guy with a pair of cuffed jeans, converse and a haircut that doesn't involve a set of clippers with the maintenance of "wash and wear," let alone someone who knows a song by Buddy Holly other than Peggy Sue--IF they even know who Buddy Holly IS!
 Rooster0123
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:57:56 AM
check into radiobillyfm.com and givememyxxx.com both places are great places to get the music we all crave. the scene down here blows and being that im a few blocks from the beach it is rough on my rides too. not to mention being soo different from the burnt out surfers in town my son and i get some real strange looks ridin around town
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 16
Rockabilly?
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:42:36 PM
this genre always confuses me but a hot chich i ve met is in a band called catl... even silver hearts.. kindo of knew though non traditional check them on you tube.
 hard2findgood2find
Msg: 17
Rockabilly?
Posted: 8/24/2011 2:59:40 PM

Elmore James

You sir know your music!

Lets give a shout out to the Maddox Brothers and their sister Rose while on the topic of "Rockabilly" who really cares what people call it....its had so many various influential artists that are normally associated with other genres including Blues, Boogie/Swing/Jazz . I'd rank them right up there with Bob Willis and Carl Perkins. But I'd say that Mead Lewis, Jimmy "The Blue Yodeler" Rodgers, Sonny Boy Williams,Robert Johnson and Pete Johnson were among the biggest influences on the music.
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 8/24/2011 3:45:14 PM
Gotta love Elmore James eh - Madison Blues is a personal fav ! [ and Sunnyland]

over here in southern England its not uncommon for R'n'B , Rockabilly, Ska & early soul to be played together at clubs ...

not sure if the same applies in USA ???

does lead to an 'interesting' mix of folks at a do - soulies, skins, rockabillies and students all mixed together
 godlessguitarist
Msg: 19
Rockabilly?
Posted: 8/25/2011 10:15:55 AM
I think it's now called 'Cow Punk', the new stuff, fancied in cheesy retro 50's diners ,hops, cheesy sideburns and greasy duck tails the fashion, but also long bearded scrawny hippy kids with dreads, it is fun stuff, and of course was really a tribute to that early rock'n roll, memphis sound. i wouldn't want to build a whole record collection on it though,there's so much better music, it's now a trendy by product, i'll put on Dwight Yooakam to scratch that billy itch, thank you.
 Tayfire
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 9/1/2011 10:59:44 AM
Yes i like rockabilly and rock n roll too.

Brian Setzer of the Straycats who kept rockabilly going from the early 80's and who is still performing today. A good guitaeist as well.
 jtm66
Msg: 21
Rockabilly?
Posted: 9/13/2011 8:29:27 PM
Love it. Love Brian Setzer, Kime Lenz and classic artists liek Levi dexter and Gene Vincent.
 jettlightning
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 9/23/2011 8:37:52 PM
I always thought Rockabilly was pretty big in Texas. Having great deejays like Bill Mack on the radio spinning the best for so many years, an ex-rockabilly star himself. Yes I love Rockabilly, Psychobilly, Rock And Roll, and Hillbilly sounds.
 smokincigars
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 9/25/2011 3:11:12 AM
I grew up with rockabilly, in the general area where rockabilly was born. And I lived in the same town (Jackson, TN) as Carl Perkins for many years, got to meet him. I won't pretend to be an expert, but I do love rockabilly. There is a rockabilly hall of fame and museum in Jackson, TN; they have concerts periodically.

If you know rockabilly, you know who Sam Phillips was. After fathering the genre in Memphis, he moved back to his hometown of Florence, AL (next door to Muscle Shoals) and bought/started radio stations there; his family still owns and runs them. The Sam Phillips Music Fest every year in Florence includes at least one rockabilly concert.
 MusicPenPals-PunkHardcore
Msg: 24
Rockabilly?
Posted: 9/28/2011 2:00:13 PM
For anyone who enjoys exploring YouTube musicians -- consider checking out "James Hunnicutt" -- great voice and great guitarist Cheers
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Rockabilly?
Posted: 10/1/2011 2:03:53 PM
Any of you herd of IMELDA MAY , Fantastic. She is today's rockabilly star.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Rockabilly?