Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Gizzards      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 3
GizzardsPage 1 of 1    
My first husband used to buy them and then fry them up.

I thought they tasted pretty good.

Just like a turkey time, who gets the gizzards?
 Molly Maude
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Gizzards
Posted: 11/15/2010 12:04:56 AM
if you don't cook and eat the giblets when you buy a whole turkey ... what DO you do with them?

if I buy a turkey and there are no giblets included, I really become annoyed ... not that it does me any good ... by the time I'm in a position to notice, I'm too busy making dinner to complain to the market ...

BUT ... I like to boil the giblets ... when done, cool and separate the meat from the parts I DON'T want (neck bones, gristle part of the gizzard, etc.), cut the meat into largish pieces to add to the turkey gravy ...

in the area where I live, there's no option to buy gizzards, for example, other than in conjunction with the purchase of a whole turkey ... SOMETIMES ... sometimes they include the giblets with the whole turkey!

throughout the year, I can sometimes find chicken liver but that's relatively rare ... when I lived in Los Angeles, I made a fabulous chicken liver pate ... but you didn't ask about chicken liver!

~~~ edit: I don't believe giblets require THREE HOURS to cook ... although I'm busy cooking EVERYTHING and I've never timed them ... THREE HOURS seems excessive ... at least 3 x too long! I cook them until they smell right!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Gizzards
Posted: 11/15/2010 10:03:55 AM
JustWant2No ... sadly, I don't REMEMBER the chicken liver pate recipes I used ... I think I just threw things together until it looked/tasted right! I know a blender was involved ... probably simmered the chicken livers until done (a relatively short time) ... MAYBE on occasion, added pork liver for flavor ... maybe even cooked bacon went into some of those blenders ... (but only if those who avoided pork for religious reasons weren't coming) ...

I'm sure I cooked some onions with the chicken liver ... spices were involved altho, for the life of me, I can't recall which ... I suspect I used the blender altho a fork COULD have been used ... the blender's easier ... to blend the livers into a pate like consistency, adding the cooking broth a few tablespoons at a time till it was the right consistency ...

this pate was then chilled, molded into a shape ... log or ball ... possibly rolled into crushed pecans or some other compatible nut ... if winter, probably the log ... the nuts ... maybe festive sprigs of winter greenery ... party-goers would cut into the log and spread the pate onto a variety of crackers ...

that was another lifetime ago ... my husband was a rising star in his chosen area of employment ... we threw and attended social events for the advancement of his career, not because we actually LIKED these things ... in our circle, a wife was a career choice ... among other qualities, wives were admired for their cooking abilities ...

so there were lots of pates ... cheese balls ... "sandwiches" frosted with cream cheese ... I baked my own breads, made apple tea rings for brunches, etc. ... lots of booze was involved in these affairs ... (odd choice of word but probably that, too) ... yep ... it was another lifetime ago!!!

now when I fix chicken liver, it's just for me so I buy a SMALL amount and saute in BUTTER with little bit of onion ... plain ...

Smiling Salmon would have GREAT recipes ... maybe she'll see this post!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Gizzards
Posted: 11/15/2010 10:12:44 AM
JustBunky ... I know giblets are NOT JUST gizzards ... I was stressing that the only ways to obtain gizzards HERE in this quaint hamlet where I live ... are to RAISE and KILL your own poultry (which I'd never do! kill them, I mean) ... or to buy an ENTIRE TURKEY ...

giblets RARELY, RARELY come with whole chickens any more ... and, even when you buy whole turkeys, you're not guaranteed the turkey will come with ANY giblets ... gizzard, liver, heart, whatever!

gizzards aren't exactly a stomach ... but if I described the function they perform which involves using gravel to grind food cuz poultry don't have teeth, it would decrease from the pleasure in eating them ... just as describing the liver's function is not particularly palatable! ok ... hearts, too ... any organ, really ... when you think about skin ... YECK! and FAT!? don't even GO there! (shuddering)

in the olden days ... (creaking of the rocking chair ... scuffling of feet on the wooden porch boards) ... we ate what was edible ... I've heard tell of some of them Southerners actually eating the FEET ... well, course, we Northerners wouldn't do that ... but we would eat what insides that were edible!!!

if we WERE neighbors ... I'd gladly accept your giblet donations !!!

edit: gizzards don't really require long cooking times ... they require, after cooking, cutting away the portions you don't want to eat ... which you COULD eat but maybe just don't want to ... some portions are a little gelatinous for some people's taste ... gristly, sort of ...
 MsMicki
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Gizzards
Posted: 11/22/2010 8:18:13 PM
I always pressure cook the gizzards first.....
then flour and deep fry
 Vannili
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Gizzards
Posted: 11/22/2010 9:36:52 PM
I love gizzard specially turkey's gizzard..
I boiled it with little ginger and onions and when it is tender I chopped it into coarsely ground,then saute ' with little oil, mince garlic, chopped green onions and a cube of curry ,little chicken stock, or just plain water, salt to taste. It is good to put on top of rice.
 texasbaby
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Gizzards
Posted: 11/23/2010 6:47:26 AM
My Mom's favorite,, deep fried gizzards and livers. You can even order them at a lot of chicken take-out places here in the south. But, I've found the gizzards are often over-cooked or something and they're so tough they're almost impossible to eat.
MsMicki has the right idea on cooking them, in my opinion, just need some cream gravy to dip them in!

tb
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Gizzards