Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Creative/Writing  > Wonderfreakingful great quote      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 foffeefifo
Msg: 1
Wonderfreakingful great quotePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Do we do great thought-provoking quotes here? I'd like to start this with this from Henri Cole, the poem was Cherry Blossom Storm:

Sometimes the paralysis of a soul awkens it
Sometimes awful things have their own kind of beauty

So here's the deal, you can follow up on what resonated to you about that, what from your own experience makes that so powerful and meaningful for you... or you can also post quotes that did the same to you and WHY. That's the important thing, make it personal, share with us why you so love it and if it really really changed you or your patterns of belief

I guess this reminds me of the trite but true little adage right now, God gives you what you need to hear when you are finally ready to listen. For me, I have this tendancy to to just wallow in despair. I hesitate to say this, it sounds so sad and pathetic, but I am not one of those people who really does well alone. I should be living in a commune someplace, only today I think they call them "Intentional Communities". I need. I find it hard to stand alone, on my own. I don't know if this is the by-product of being an only child whose parents over protected her, held her hand every step of the way or just being a spoiled brat who was used to being the center of the universe and now just can't deal with the fact that the world sort of moves on and forgets you once you gain a certain amount of weight, or don't march to the same music as everyone else, or you really have sort of stepped away from the hoi-polloi out of sheer weariness of fighting the constant fight inherent in living life.

So, yeah, I have been wallowing, have had a bunch of setbacks lately, things just not going to my great plan, my decision that there will be a new and improved me and a new and improved life. And so I just stop trying, I go within, withdraw, isolate, separate, detach, from everything and everyone and all my responsibilities. And then I read this poem today and the last lines just hit me on the head.

Yes, yes, yes, you can only stay paralyzed for so long until your soul will not stand it one more minute and it will rise up in you and make you almost want to run screaming into the middle of the street " It IS a new day, I WILL not be conquered, I WILL put on my big girl panties and get off the pity pot!"

My inner light, my inner truth that I am a magical creature capable of working miracles all around me will not be stifled or commandeered by my endorphine-challenged synapses, my need to pull the covers over my head because I might have yet again failed..... My soul bursts open after stuffing it with moaning and groaning and insists on being heard, on being respected. I am NOT my failures, I am my ability to create beauty out of the past horror. Bad things are not bad things if they give us one more piece to our ever challenging puzzle strewn existence. I really loved this quote, it woke me up today, something I very sincerely needed to do. And I love me most when I realize I am stronger than I knew, smart enough to finally see my way past my stumbles. Where was it written I had to be perfect? There is a perfect perfection in the imperfections because they always tend to lead me back to a mending, a healing and new perspective on the WHOLE picture of me.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 2
Wonderfreakingful great quote
Posted: 11/26/2010 12:49:17 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh.
well.
I see.
This is not the place to unleash your soul - well - whatever, I can talk to myself, I've gotten rather good at it, I'm honing it to a fine art, I have placed my heart at the razor's edge all my life, why should this be any different - y'all can ignore the hell outta me, I'm ok with that, I'm nobody, who are you? Obviously not a nobody too and obviously not one to be inspired or find hope or strength in foolish words correct? This is the sophisticated crowd, the upper echelon of the various schools infesting this little pond, I am among the hoi-polloi of fishies, those not accustomed to letting their dirty laundry fly high for all to see, even the less soiled thoughts of the minorly mentally unstable, the stain-sticked still almost virginally pure ramblings of the ever hopeful and always inspired. Nope, none of you will come foward, so it is up to me to continue my farce, my sad sad innate need to express myself, however poorly

Here's another of my favorites, so apropos to this stage of my life:

First you are young, then you are middleaged, then you are wonderful - Alice Roosevelt.

I delight in that quote, I truly do, and how incredibly sad that one finally finds out the amazing intricate depth and glory of oneself just as one begins to rot!!! What a predicament!!! Just as I feel I am bloomingly uncontrollably, finally the delicate tints of me ae appearing and delighting my soul, and they are obscured by varicose veins, chin hairs and skin that is starting to look like parchment paper. Just when I know exactly what to say and when to say it, there isn't anyone here to hear it. Just when I am wise enough after 10,000 mistakes, here is Google which has proclaimed they have found the answer in .73 seconds. Just when I know what is truly important and willing to embrace that one simple truism, I have no one to shower that knowledge upon!

But it is so true, isn't it??? That when we were young, we hadn't a clue, we were thoughtless and cruel and vapid and shallow and rushing too fast and not prone to try very hard at anything, we tripped so carelessly, merrily even, over the rockiest places, undaunted, not thinking, just propelled by our own egocentric whims and should the boulder appear to stymie our progress, we could melt it with indifference or blast it with a bluff and bravado.

Then things got a bit more complicated, people started to let us down, we started to let ourselves down, down down down came the nipples and the once firm butt, down down down came our expectations and our goals, reality finally settled into the marrow of our bones, America was no longer the beautiful, corporate raiders saw to that, the world was not our oyster, heck, could you even find an oyster bed that survived the pollution, art wasn't imitating life, life was one big imitation with everyone trying so hard to buy acceptance in their Calvin Klein jeans. We had arrived in the inhospitable land of jaded dreams.

But here at the other edge of life, it has all evened out, there is an enjoyment in the daily mundane, the merely simple, the silly slightest joy and we and all our emerging wrinkles are adding depth and perspective to the pallette of life. Color me brightly, color me luscious, color me happiness, color me wonderful.
 BalderDog
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/26/2010 5:46:28 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhh.
well.
I see.

You're not getting much of a response to this thread because hardly anyone reads the forums on this site--there is no link from the main site. I have no idea why that is. Seems kind of foolish to have a forum, but provide no way to find them.

Anyways...

First you are young, then you are middleaged, then you are wonderful - Alice Roosevelt.

So, on growing older:

“Middle age is when you’re sitting at home on a Saturday night and the telephone rings and you hope it isn’t for you."- Ogden Nash
 foffeefifo
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/1/2010 1:28:21 AM
Hmmmmm, well, that's kinda odd, because you would think that at middle age, you'ld kinda hope that phone was ringing for you on a lonely Saturday night, but I guess Mr. Nash was happily ensconced in family comforts - to each his own.

Yes, I was sent here to read something by someone who contacted me, otherwise I wouldn't have stumbled here myself. I guess this isn't the place to expound on things that matter or have meaning to oneself. I just like to try to write a coherent little essay every now and then, it's good for the mind, but it is kinda disheartening nothing said had any meaning for anyone else, nor did it inspire anyone else to share. Guess I just don't have any writing skills.
 FoshFish
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/3/2010 7:45:30 PM
"Seeing is believing." -- Helen Keller.

"I don't understand quantum mechanics." -- Albert Einstein.

"Everything that could be invented, has been invented." -- Director of US patent office, 1898.

"Nobody is going to need more than 640K." -- Bill Gates, 1982.

"We had a devil of a good time at the company Christmas party." -- Pope Benedictus the first.

"Without a doubt, without hope there is no hope." -- Bob Hope

"Without a doubt, there is no hope" -- Gunther Friedrickshausen, German Generalkommandant wiesenanstatlicher Eingewolkeren StUH., in a foxhole, Ukraine, outside of Voronyezh, on December 74th, 1943.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:34:51 AM
"The size of a man's peen1s is unimportant. What matters is how big his bawlz are."
(sorry for the blatant bad spelling, but on this site you never know what the heck word is considered objectionable, you can not mention the poet emily d1ckinson for goodness sakes, nor can you say your favorite book is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles D1ckens)

I adore this quote. I especially adore this quote because it could apply to a woman as well as a man, but I think that is another topic for another day.

I guess I want to rant a bit here today, having come off some really disappointing encounters with so called "nice" guys I met from POF. I was only here a week when it became all too apparent I was living in the one place in America you do not want to live in if you are a people person, like being with people and are ready to consider having a man in your life again as a friend, companion and possible lover. There were exactly two men registered on POF from my area, within 10 miles from my house. (go further out, 20 miles? 30 miles? just add one more guy!) Holy Moley, this did not bode well. Not with winter coming.

I don't call myself an old fart for nothing, I really am becoming a died in the wool serious contender for supreme mastery of old-fartness. I don't listen to modern music on the radio any more. Lady Gaga? great name, more like Lady Gag, I just don't care how talented she is or what she is trying to achieve in her quest for fame or fortune or developing her talent or women's rights. These are not issues I care about any more. (have felt this way for a whole long time, couldn't have cared less about Madonna, or Pink or Mary J Blige either).

I no longer dress to attract attention of any kind. Couldn't care less any longer if I am in style, hip, neat, matchy-matchy, refuse to wear anything with a heel on it, accessories are only criminals who abetted someone elses crime, I don't give a darn about labels unless it gives the grams of sodium inside and how many calories per serving.

If something needs to be fixed or worked on and it includes kneeling, I hire someone to do it now.

I now judge my ability to travel distances by if I can get there and back before dark because my nighttime vision is really starting to deteriorate and this truly puts a crimp into any possible meetup with a guy because they all live well over an hour away from me....so joining a dating site where I had to get there and be home before 5 pm in possible bad winter time weather just didn't seem worth all the possible hassles, and I opted to say NO to all the guys who were willing to meet with me thinking that my sparkling wit and obvious great communication skills would keep them entertained for December, January and February...But NO! I learned darn quickly that men do not do pen pal duty no matter how scintilating my conversation skills are. Guys are all about getting to the bottom line and getting there ASAP.... they aren't going to wait three months to meet you because you don't want to drive. Slowly, one by one, my great on line friendships just fizzled out.

So, I finally crumbled and said OK to a few selected men who were willing to make the trek to come see me and I do mean "selected". These were guys who in each and every instance had declared in their profile they were "gentlemen, had old fashioned values, respectful and were totally committed to being friends first and to a man were complaining about being NICE guys who always seemed to finish last."

Well, call me Miss Pollyanna for thinking "OK, it'll be nice to meet up with a few guys who I can prove to them that not all women will not appreciate a 'nice guy'. " And I started handing out directions to my town. Oh migosh. WHAT a mistake.

To a man, every single one of these "Mr. Nice Guys" needed to grow a pair of you-know-whats. Once they got here, all of a sudden they lost all ability to pay for their own coffee ("but I just spent $12 to cross the bridge to see you!"), the drive here totally exhausted them to the extent that they wanted to sleep over, they were so nice they wanted to come over and take over the repairs on my house and all they wanted in return was some "affection, cuddling all night long" and out of the four of them, two were living with mom and the other two were living with their grown kids and all thought I should really consider getting a roommate, oh by the way, how 'bout me?

These four wonderful Mr. Nice guys had no clue that being so generous and thoughtful and helpful only made them seem way too spineless, needy and impotent. My lord, if I wanted a roommate, I'd be advertising for one, not joining a dating site and how stupid did they think I was that I couldn't or wouldn't see beyond their generosity of spirit and helpfulness to their lack of guts to just come right out and say "Hey I need a place to live, I am willing to do all your chores and work on your house for free if you will shell out with a bit of sex every now and then." Wouldn't ya think a really "Nice" guy would be honest and above board, not a spineless wimp who uses his helpful nature to get what he wants and needs? I guess all us women looking down the shot gun barrel of nearby medicare are just so so desperate we'll fall for the nice helpful types 'cause what's wrong with servicing their d1ck while they are so nice to do all our chores?

So the moral to this story, at least with the four guys I was unfortunate enough to meet is be really leery of what constitutes being "nice". If this was any indication of what "nice" guys behave like, bring on the bad boys please.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/22/2011 11:39:56 PM
" There is a big difference between wants, desires and what one truly needs. " - POF member 60to70, complete stranger, on her profile, hope she doesn't mind me quoting her

I doubt I have ever read anything so cogent, so filled with special meaning to me right at this very moment, this edge i am tottering on.

I am that woman who insists there is no God, per se. I in my better more rational moments (some might say these are few and far and in-between) will give short shrift to the idea of a "god"...for reasons having meaning only to myself, i must truly say "goddess"....i can't abide that image of the father, the man, sitting up there on a throne, I can't bear what any male image has morphed into on this our mother earth, a vengeful, thunderbolt hurling master of fear controlling us thru catholicism, protestantism, the koran or the torah, institutions wholly conceived by other men who had their own agenda and need to corral others to their very chauvinistic view of world order...in fact, i can't put a skirt on this amorphous being either, rather just need to express it as "the life force", and this i can relate to, for i have given birth, given life to four incredible and beautiful people, i can only see this life force as a beneficent loving, healing female energy who gives us free reign to be ourselves and do our best and at the end, will gather us back under her loving gaze and soothe all the pain away.

But this life force energy refuses to let me give up, as I have wanted to do lately, have taken rational steps to hasten the process toward the inevitable... written the will, appointed an executor, paid in full the funeral, ordered the headstone.... started the process of finding a more conducive spot to lay down my head where there would be no interfering neighbors to potentially botch it all up...
and of course the life force has decided once again to remind me that i am NOT going to get away with it, has placed completely out of the blue new people into my sterile vacuum of a life just at this very moment I am ready to let go of life.

This can't be coincidence, these two complete strangers, so foreign and so completely unlike anyone i would ever have drawn into my inner circle, that is, if i ever had a circle, mostly i have considered my life one big garbage dump and handling the trash has become daunting and overwhelming.

Is there a truism that goes something like "good things come in threes?" I thought there was.... well, I could be wrong about that, but the above quote is thing number three.

Who the heck said I should have all that I want or all that I desired? Who decided I earned it, I deserved it? Could that have been me and only me? Did I yet again go into my spoiled brat mode (yes, I should be the poster child for spoiled-brat-only-child-syndrome) and stomp my foot that I deserved to wallow in self pity and thus have the right to chuck it all in because life yet again had the nerve to not quite go the way I wanted it to, expected it to. Yes, the past 15 months had more loss, pain, misery and defeat in them than the past 40 years of All My Children and those 15 months were only one small chapter in my encyclopedia of loss, pain, misery and defeat I had endured.... but they were the straw that broke this camel's back.

I am NOT the big fan of Oprah or her "AH-HAH" moments, but I think today being hit with those two people and this quote constitutes a serious huge "AHHHHH-HAAAAAAH" moment. And not to sound overly dramatic nor self-serving, those two people that popped into my sphere of existence today were seriously sliding down the final ramp to oblivion themselves and but for the grace of goodness, goddess and the muse Erato, we found each other and met within the lines of poem I had written that made all the difference to them, and then ultimately to me.

That I was given this gift of life affirming hope within a few words erased the past 20 years of soul destroying sorrow. I may want everything different, I may think I should not have had to bear more pain, more horror, but who's to say I didn't need it? It's irrelevant that I didn't want it, the fact is that the last 15 months brought me to a page where I penned a poem that resonated deeply in two desperate lonely souls and brought them back to a will to keep trying and this is sweet, succulent triumph over the darkness for me and I am deeply grateful today and ready to crawl to my knees, haul myself up to stand once again and even it is just hobbling, stumbling slowly and yeah, probably painfully forward, I will find my way to that proverbial mountaintop and stand there someday, smiling and at peace.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/8/2011 12:23:06 PM

so here's the ultimate in ego driven self congratulatory nerve. I'm gonna quote me:

" ahh men, did they draw nigh unto their grandmothers and watch her unpin long, heavy hanks coiled atop her head like a wreath of Eolus's heaven, a tumbling, a torrent, a tempest unleashed in wild uproar?? what do men know of this?

I come from a time most here can't remember, times where my grandmothers sat before low, eyelet lace edged vanities with triple mirrors, silver trays with tortoise combs they would release from their upswept hair dos divinely fair to allow me to brush out their flowing grey locks with boar's hair bristles.

My great grandmother would close her eyes and lift her chin, the network of lines around her eyes relaxing and smoothing, she'd hum contentedly in a sean nos drone, unrhythmic often meaningless groupings of syllables strung out like dried corn stalks in a searing field, the gaelic totally incomprehensible to me.

Nothing was more enchanting, charming, quieting, serene than standing above these little warrior women, with their hair in my hands, the sheer beauty of all that silver breaking over their shoulders and down their backs like rivers of mercury. I'd go past the requisite 100 strokes until they wanted me to move onto plaiting a soft braid before kissing them gently on powdery cheeks.

Such a lovely memory to cherish, this simplicity of grooming, gathering locks into long bands that I would relax after their long days of cooking over cast iron stoves, to hold what was always referred to as their "crowning glory" in my fingers, I could peel away the destruction of the years and almost see them in their vibrant youthfulness, I doubt I ever felt closer to any other humans on this planet except for my own babies.

Never denegrate the beauty of almost a full yard of silver hair, a yard of herstory, a yard that knew her before you did, it still holds the memory of her beauty in the last inches, the faded last breath of brown or black barely there, archiving those last precious remnants of her victories, sorrows, triumphs, defeats." ---- taken from a forum where more than one man had the utter gall to declare that old women have no right to long hair.

Oh lord, hold me back, keep me from raging like Lear, to tear the hand from his arm that so stupidly posted an opinion like that.

My lord, when will society and men in particular cease dictating what standards of beauty apply to a woman? Burns my buns and that folks is a conflagration of enormous proportions defying any seen after a nuclear holocaust.

Why should not a woman still hold onto her locks of silver? Why is this seen as a desperate and laughable thing? Let's get it straight here, for once and forever.
A WOMAN HAS THE RIGHT TO DO WITH HER BODY AND HER BODY PARTS WHATEVER SHE DAMN WELL FEELS EXPRESSES HER NATURAL RIGHT TO DECLARE TO THE WORLD WHAT HER STYLE IS IRREGARDLESS OF WHAT VOGUE, ELLE, HOLLYWOOD OR THAT TWIT MR. BLACKWELL THINKS IS APPROPRIATE, SEXY, STYLISH.

Period.
So let's hear it for Bjork and her swan dress extraordinaire, Helena Bonham Carter for her mismatched shoes, Kate Hepburn who kept her long hair and eschewed all attempts made by Hollywood to get her into three inch heels, women who pump iron and love their muscles, women who breast feed in public, women who know they have the right to be a lesbian, a pole dancer, a porn queen, a whore, a brain surgeon and anything darn else she feels resonates to her own special rhythm.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/24/2011 2:35:26 AM
Cole's poem is an interpretation of the desires and realities of motherhood ( and age) and the cherry blossom represents the beauty of the anatomy--as he had surgery.
Hard for me to comment on how it makes me feel since I know the context.

One of my favorite quotes ( as it parallels my own thoughts/ life):
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
To keep our faces toward change
and behave like free spirits
in the presence of fate
is strength undefeatable.

-Helen Keller

This is especially poignant as I am currently going through much change at the current time ;)
Hopefully boldly flying into the wind, and achieving good lift. ;)
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2011 10:40:35 PM
my grandfather told me this way back in the day " son you better get on with the live'n or just get on with the dieing cause you don't ever get out alive "
 ArghStopItYouStupidDuck
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/30/2011 4:03:41 AM
Barely contained within the souls of each and every one of us
Lies a roiling sea of greatness and passion.

If we, setting aside our false differences and our petty conflicts,
Working together as a single people,
Tore down the looming barriers of our personal doubt and fear,
Unleashed our potential to thunder past the remnants of
The illusory shackles that we suffered the lonely tyranny of for so long..

We will, each and every one
Release the lonely clarion call of our own magnificence
Joined by the thousands, then millions, then billions of others,
And through our collective thought, sweat, and imagination,
We will forge that which no single one of us can imagine..

We, Mankind, will finally spread our wings and embrace our destiny.

- An Unknown Turnip
 junipermoon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2011 5:54:54 PM
some minds are made of blotting-paper: you can write nothing on them distinctly. they swallow the ink, and you find a large spot. ~augustus william hare and julius charles hare, guesses at truth, by two brothers, 1827
 professorjjd
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2011 5:33:45 AM
" Some minds are like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set" Hehe, thats me!
 foffeefifo
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/11/2011 9:38:28 AM
what wonderful additions and testiments to the indefatigability of the human spirit, soul. life sure ain't easy and it certainly is never what we think it will be when we are young.

".....silly poet, silly man: thought I could master nature like a misguided
preacher
as if banishing love is a fix. as if the stars go out when we shut our
sleepy eyes:" corydon and alexis, redux..... d.a. powell

now that i'm officially medicare age, i do feel old. oh i know, you doth protest and avow, "you are only as young as you feel"...but i FEEL old, it's in the marrow of me now, i move old, am starting to think old. there is a definite difference between the 20 year old brain and the 60 year old brain.

young brains seem to be ever fluttering butterflies, flitting from life affirming pistil and anther to another..... the older brain is a sadder version of those butterflies, it is limp butterfly wing, as limp as sails at anchor in an airless sky, waiting for a puff of someone elses inspiration to lift it out of ennui.

in youth, i think there is a more joyful acceptance that things are going to be wonderful, there is no reason to stop and check the gas level or the speedometer, it's full speed ahead and what bad could possiblity happen??? Not to ME!!!!! The thought doesn't even appear as the smallest blip on the radar screen.... we crash through life, oblivious the barriers all around when we are young.... it takes something really powerful, really ominous to stop us dead in our tracks, throw us completely off course....enough of these occur, and you become an aberrant star, blown out of orbit, permanently off-course. Life ever after becomes the battle to scratch your way back to banquet that is life, over come your starvation and believe that once again that yes, you are worthy of that extra helping of hope, that dollop of forgiveness.

all i seem to hold onto now or truly believe in, depend on, are the things that bring beauty into my life....how to put it more clearly? What keeps me sane and breathing, withstanding the shear utter agonies of daily life, are the most beautiful things on earth.... the grace of a heron's glide oer the slant, wide marsh edges of Chesapeake Bay, Ella Fitzgerald's mastery of voice, meter, note, the clarity and pureness of light in every Edward Hopper painting I behold, the tender, aching desire and fragility of the third movement of Beethovan's ninth... I see god's face every time I hear it.... I dare not say more, nor try to explain it.... it was already said to perfection 193 years ago. not going to try to match it, or give my spin on it.... can't. perfection is perfection....pure and eternal:

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o'er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits. Such the sun, the moon,
Trees old and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
'Gainst the hot season; the mid forest brake,
Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms:
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read:
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven's brink.

Nor do we merely feel these essences
For one short hour; no, even as the trees
That whisper round a temple become soon
Dear as the temple's self, so does the moon,
The passion poesy, glories infinite,
Haunt us till they become a cheering light
Unto our souls, and bound to us so fast,
That, whether there be shine, or gloom o'ercast;
They always must be with us, or we die.
excerpt from Endymion, Keats.

plus: here is the full poem by d.a. powell:

corydon & alexis, redux
by D. A. Powell

and yet we think that song outlasts us all: wrecked devotion
the wept face of desire, a kind of savage caring that reseeds itself
and grows in clusters

oh, you who are young, consider how quickly the body deranges itself
how time, the cruel banker, forecloses us to snowdrifts white as
god's own ribs

what else but to linger in the slight shade of those sapling branches
yearning for that vernal beau. for don't birds covet the seeds of
the honey locust
and doesn't the ewe have a nose for wet filaree and slender oats
foraged in the meadow
kit foxes crave the blacktailed hare: how this longing grabs me by
the nape

guess I figured to be done with desire, if I could write it out
dispense with any evidence, the way one burns a pile of twigs
and brush

what was his name? I'd ask myself, that guy with the sideburns
and charming smile
the one I hoped that, as from a sip of hemlock, I'd expire with him
on my tongue

silly poet, silly man: thought I could master nature like a misguided
preacher
as if banishing love is a fix. as if the stars go out when we shut our
sleepy eyes

may you find one small eternal bit of beauty today
 islandsmiler
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2011 11:30:03 PM
Love your growing older quote...I must be hitting 'middle age' because that so resonates, It's been a while since I'd have been happy the phone was ringing and rushing to get my glad rags on to party!
 foffeefifo
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/27/2011 11:12:59 PM
growing older.....

not so much fun

the trouble with getting older is an awful lot of people you love start dying off....

"What cancer does is, it forces you to focus, to prioritize, and you learn what's important. I mean, I don't sweat the small stuff. I used to get angry at cab drivers. It's not worth it.... And when somebody says you have cancer, you realize it's all small stuff. And what Gilda Radner said is, if it weren't for the downside, everyone would want to have it. But there is a downside."

I'm running out of people.... people that know me, sort of love me...for i don't let anyone really get too close, intimate close to me since my divorce, haven't found the right eyes, you know the ones...the ones you can look into and see their soul? see kindness, playfulness, intelligence and grace....

Found out today a friend has cancer, again, and it's worse this time, as most lung cancers usually do metastasize ....and i can't accept this. He is a marvel of a man, person, intellect, he is a professional writer..... many here i know have read him....we shared common childhoods, fathers, diseases, so his writings resonated so clearly to me and like a star struck teenybopper I approached him at a conference and he so graciously listened to me prattle on....
So we've been emailing back and forth over the past 6 years.....
Come on...how many truly famous people are going to take their precious time and email a total nobody?????? I mean, this guy is teaching in Cambridge, writing prolifically over the past 10 years, just pumping 'em out, and yet he takes time out of his day to be kind to me.... we aren't great friends, he has his writer/professor/professional relationships, family, he is a fully rounded person..... but he was a constant in my life over the past 6 years, when we hit the skids medically we often commiserated...we're both night owls and often these IM sessions would go on into the wee hours of the morning....

i don't know what he got out of this relationship, it was probably just i was the only one in the universe up at those hours that he could bounce that beautiful mind off of..... he could rant and rave and i'd try to keep up, but so much of what he would reference i had no clue about, lol......

there is that awful downside to cancer and all it implies....but even on the periphery of his life, there is this upside for me.....to realize i too often stay mired in my misery, yeah i just lost my brother to aids and it was a horrible death.... I should be handling it better...lord knows i'm THE freaking queen of losses and I shouldn't be staying in bed 18 hours a day three months after the fact..... so now i have a tiny mission because of his recurrance of this dread disease.... i can't stay in bed 18 hours a day, for i have promised to send to him 5 times a day all the healing energy i can muster, yeah..... i'm one of those freaks that believes the mind has powers most of us can't access, not that I am some witchy guru but I do know from personal experience that often I can will things, I can set my mind .... OPEN my mind to do things most people will think are downright freaky. I'm one of those oddballs who at a young age found out she could know 5 seconds before hand that the phone would be ringing, I would know something AWFUL would happen to a close close family member on the day it happened... I knew the day my great grandfather died that he would die, same with my grandmother, my mom, dad, a child, my two best friends during the course of my life. I'm not so good with terrible things outside my personal circle ....like I can't prophesize train wrecks or deadly hurricanes.... it has to have some personal connection to me.

Yeah so I'm sending off healing light, energy and love to him and that is on a schedule..... and has gotten me out of the abyss of mourning i've been in. sort of ties in with that first quote above..... so often bad things have a good result. I know both he and i do believe that cancer has had a huge positive side to it, we both learned how to prioritize and overlook the BS all around us. We both zeroed in on what truly matters.... it was more of a plus than a minus for us both..... but now the odds might have caught up with him and it's so unfair.

Why do I survive? a nobody and total over-producer of carbon waste hurting our planet and why does he have to face this in the midst of the pinnacle of his career? He's the one who has won most major literary awards and titles, he's the one with the great life, great love, great career.....and a jerk like me survives???? not fair. not fair at all. This world will be less vibrant and a sadder, grayer place without his brilliant mind.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/15/2011 7:44:37 PM
Last night I watched 60 Minutes which had a segment on TOP GEAR ..... a show i would never in a trillion years probably consider watching..... but they had a quote from the show's producer which went:

" basically this show is a journey into the male mind which I believe is potentially a very funny place because, let's face it, nothing happens there."

Which....would be laughable if it weren't so truly sad that i believe that statement.......... i truly think most men are delusional empty narcissists :) mea culpa

it's not just that i have seen more than my share of their brutality, their penchant for beating the crap out of anyone slightly different, not up to their standards of "maleness", and god forbid you meet like i did the truly psychotic ones who have to choke you almost to death for having the temerity to voice an opinion.... no, it goes beyond those....it goes to just not trusting the male mind which rarely ever needs to voice fear, or vulnerability..... oh i know they are conditioned from birth that "real men don't cry "......or, apparently, also share, converse, express.....oh yeah, i forgot, they are allowed to share and express themselves within the confines of SPORT....where it is perfectly acceptable to pat another on the rear end, hug and jump for joy.

(((((((((sigh))))))))))....i'm not really a good candidate for a dating site huh???? LOL....well, hope can spring eternal in an aged, wrinkled breast, i so want to meet a man of gentle demeanor, quiet strength and graceful heart
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/16/2011 5:02:02 PM
"If you do not stand for something, then you will fall for anything" Peter Marshall or Malcolm X don't know who said it first but both used it.

"Life is Pain, get used to it." William Goldman
 foffeefifo
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/16/2011 8:56:25 PM
"Life is Pain, get used to it." William Goldman .... kinda like that Buddhist all life is suffering thing ;0)

great writer!!!!! love his screenplays...another favorite:

"Life isn't fair, it's just fairer than death, that's all."

thanx for the smile
 foffeefifo
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/18/2011 2:20:49 PM
" Exultation is the going
of an inland soul to sea,
Past the houses- past the headlands-
Into deep Eternity....." Emily D1ckinson

Universally I think music does that for all of us...... brings us forward and back....forward into what now we need to hear, need to learn, need to forget in order to keep building and expanding our life ....backward to perhaps happier times, innocent times when possibility was our sacred god....

King Crimson's Moon Child is playing right now on the CD......and immediately I become a smudge, a blur, a haze of memory burning out of a present so filled with regrets..... music does this to me, unwinds me back to ground zero where all life had to offer awaited me and I'm nineteen again, flying through Golden Gate Park, zinging up Haight Street to my purple and fuschia door on Cole, my apartment all glass beads and cinnamon, nag champa prismed and tie-dyed...my life so giddy then, all spinning and twisting like my prisms on nylon strings, my life all pillowed and plump, ripe for the taking, my life all lace and crushed velvet jackets, jeans frayed and appliqued, the weed so dead ass potent it was neon green and under black light glowed in the dark.....

ahhhhh, the song has ended...... there are crows somewhere in the distance and the trees are tense and straining in the winds of today like waiters balancing heavy trays.

the crows sound like they are jeering at me.

i shut my eyes.

there is something i need to remember

oh.
yes.

me.
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/18/2011 7:40:54 PM
"It is the folly of man to believe that they are great players on the stage of history, that their actions might affect the grand procession that is the passaage of time. It is an insulating conceit a powerful man might clasp tight to his bosom that he might sleep away the night, safe in the knowledge that, but for his presence, the world would not turn, the mountains would crumble and the seas would dry up. But if the rememberance of history has taught us anything, it is that, in time, all things shall pass. Unnumbered civilisations before ours are naught but dust and bones, and the greatest heroes of their age are but forgotten legends.

No man lives forever and even as a memory fades, so to will the rememberance of him.

It is a universal truth and unavoidable law tha cannot be denied, despite the protestations of the vain, the arrogant and the tyrannical." Graham McNeill
 foffeefifo
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/19/2011 6:43:18 PM
hey doc, thanks for that McNeill quote..... lol, yeah, i recently had a run in with that male conceit, it's not pretty and it so full of flawed and arrogant thinking you can only shake your head in abject disgust and walk away.

Art is a weapon and as deadly as steel cannons or exploding bombs.-Woody Guthrie

All that remains of communities and civilizations, all that remains of their worth and dignity exists in the art they leave. William Carlos Williams

There are people, women included, whose actions did affect the grand procession that is the passage of time, dont ya think? I mean there are the people whose talents in art, music HAVE left a lasting shape of not only beauty but bravery.... i think of Van Gogh's wild, careening outlandish shapes and colors that in his time were absolutely shocking and against all prevailing thoughts of what "good" art meant, I think of the huge emotionality within Beethoven's great symphonies, transforming the art form into grandiose themes and stretching the formal boundaries of motif and scale. I still wonder at the intricacies of D1ckinson's poetry or the blinding truth and pain in Frida Kahlo's portraits, Marie Curie's indominatable intellectual power, Cleopatra's sheer chutspah..... I wonder even at the fabulous cave paintings that have stood thruout the milennia that prove even at the very beginning, we as creatures have always had the urge to express ourselves, capture moments of our lives thru art...... these expressions of our creative minds ennoble us, heighten our self awareness, bring us closer to the basic truth that we as a species are bound to each and are one, forget color of skin, national identity, there is one truth, we all are one brotherhood of man and woman....so much more so than the vainglorious conquerers of peoples and places like Charlemagne, Alexander, Julius Caeser, Ghengis Khan...that kind of brutality unfortunately has accorded them status as legends (though Alexander was at least a bit more humane, assimilating the cultures he conquered into societies not so cruelly totally crushed). Even our athlete's do deserve a measure of immortality for so often they highlight the sheer beauty and tenacity of the human body, frail and small as it can be, they take themselves a level above, they work and train to fulfill dreams and test their limits, conquering not only records but their own self doubts....People will always remember great athletes like Jim Thorpe, Roger Bannister, Billie Jean King, Wilma Rudolph for all they over came and triumphed over when all the odds were against them.

But the conceit of people who must dominate to thrive, to gain power and amass fortunes through their greed....I agree, should be and will be long forgotten, though sadly too often they leave buildings behind to vaunt their foot step across the vast stretches of history..... someday they too will lie in ruins, as our oceans rise, as we destroy the ozone layer, as hundred's of species die each day in the rainforests across earth, we as a whole, will do a good job at annhilating ourselves and all our little victories.
 smilesrbest65
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/19/2011 7:41:35 PM
I have enjoyed how well you have put it --just exactly my sentiments and I could never have said it so well!! Thank you , keep writing and I'll continue to read.
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/19/2011 7:48:14 PM
"It is not the evil man we must fear, but it is the Indifference of good men that should keep us up at night." I forget who said it but it burned into my skull.

That is, in my opinion, what will destroy our civilization. I hope that in ten thousand years that children are still taught****ns, and teens find Poe and Hemingway, and so on. but I doubt it. We, as a species, absolutly love destroy cultures and even enitre civilizations just because they believe something different. I don't think humans will kill each other off, but our extinction will be by "mother nature". In ten thousand years there will be no mention of Ghandi, Tubman, Jefferson, or even Susan B. Anthony. If the world we live continues, it will be Gates, Hawking, and Jobs that will be taught and beloved. Like readers that are addicted to reading no matter the forum, people today are addicted to technology and it only is going to get worse.
 RandomScause
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/21/2011 7:47:49 PM
""It is not the evil man we must fear, but it is the Indifference of good men that should keep us up at night.""

Sounds like Stefan Zweig.

Others, also by Stefan:

"Fanni hat ein wirklich sehr beruhmter und ausgetippelter uberhochwohlgeborener dunkelbrauner Onkel."

"Der dritte vergangenheit wurde wie die Pluquamperfekt bei Romanen genennt."

"Hitler war ein sehr grosser Dummkopf."

------

To Pragmatic Doc I also say, "sic transit gloria mundi". Man can't be expected to remember all great people and events in history. Forever. The old will be forgotten not because the new won't know merit when it bit it in the leg, but because new greats will emerge, which will replace the admiration for the old greats.

Take J.S. Bach and David Usher. I know three Bach pieces, and only two Usher songs, but in percentages of all output by these great musicians, I know 2% of Usher, and 0.0004 percent of Bach. I am a music aficionado, Bach is greater than Usher, and yet Usher is way better known to me. It's because we forget the old greats, not because their faiths or beliefs were different from what ours are now, but because we can see Usher perform, and we can see him kiss his guitar, and we can see the devine fire of gods in his eyes when he plays, but we can't do any of that with Bach.
Show ALL Forums  > Creative/Writing  > Wonderfreakingful great quote