Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Tri Cept and Pec Exercises (esp. around the arm pits)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 funloving7522
Msg: 1
Tri Cept and Pec Exercises (esp. around the arm pits)Page 1 of 1    
I am really trying to tone these two areas, i have cut my calories and upped my cardio. I really want to try some new harder more intense exercises especially for my tri cepts (loose skin) i do the dips on the bench, push ups, dumb bell presses, tri cept extensions but it there any other exercise that might help even more? Thank You.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 2
Tri Cept and Pec Exercises (esp. around the arm pits)
Posted: 11/18/2010 12:38:43 PM

I am really trying to tone these two areas, i have cut my calories and upped my cardio...

Short of surgery that is all you can do that will produce any results, as it is impossible to "spot tone".

I really want to try some new harder more intense exercises especially for my tri cepts (loose skin) i do the dips on the bench, push ups, dumb bell presses, tri cept extensions but it there any other exercise that might help even more? Thank You.

Do the same thing, juts try harder, as your results have more to do what the intensity you do it, than what you do.

That said there is no exercise that will tighten loose skin.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/19/2010 11:19:59 AM
If you want to add some thickness to the tri's I'd use a nautilus machine because it limits the motion. The thickness may smooth out the skin. You seem to have the nutrition aspect down, but for the lose skin maybe slightly up the cardio? I've found the skin tightens after weight loss, but you need to live with it for a while because the weight loss comes first and will make it look more flabby at first.

People will argue that spot reduction works, but I've yet to see proof of it.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/19/2010 2:40:26 PM
If you want to add some thickness to the tri's I'd use a nautilus machine because it limits the motion. The thickness may smooth out the skin...

Agree.

I think the thing that is misunderstood is.

You will only be successful in growing more muscle in that area so you will make your arms bigger.

If you want to look more cut that is a combination of diet and genetics.

Your skin is like a blanket and the thinker the blanket the less definition you will see and no amount of added muscle will change that.

An example would be to take a Grapefruit and an Orange.

Put both of them on your bed and cover them with just the top sheet and then add a comforter.

When you add the comforter it is harder to tell the difference, but with the thin sheet it is easier to see, basically that is what you will notice.

You seem to have the nutrition aspect down, but for the lose skin maybe slightly up the cardio?..

IMO
Eating just to obtain a look, is not a healthy way, both mental and physically.

Eating a healthy diet and exercising and accepting how you look because that is what it is, is a much better plan long term.

I've found the skin tightens after weight loss, but you need to live with it for a while because the weight loss comes rst and will make it look more flabby at first.

Agreed.

I lost most of my weight over years ago and I still have some lose skin around my lower mid section.

From what I understand when you get fat your body produces fat cells and as you lose the weight the cells get smaller but do not really go away as your body may hang onto some just in case.

Which is why it is also easy to gain it back, because you already have the storage in place, it is just waiting to be filled up.

Some also link that to stronger cravings, as those cells are sending signals via your CNS that they are empty and that can cause cravings that are pretty hard to overcome.
 jaqi
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2010 7:36:02 AM
Generally speaking if you want to tighten up the under arms you do need to work on the tri's by including an overhead extension in to your routine of tri exercises. Mine were 'loose' in fact it was my daughter who mentioned that they were getting a bit 'saggy' when we were out in the car one day.... arghhhhhhh had to do something about it and I have. They are really tight now and I get loads of comments on them, especially from women my age.

I found that mine got really tight as I packed on some muscle by doing lots of different types of exercises, many found on the net, and also by including pull-ups, chins, hammer grip chins and dips into each routine. It isn't easy and you have to be prepared to work really hard till your arms feel the burn and ache like crazy !

I am really proud of my arms ... I have worked very hard to achieve them.

If you want some more help you can contact me by personal message... I am always happy to help.
 fitandfun78
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/15/2010 9:16:53 AM
Unfortunately, we women carry the majority of our extra fat in our butt, belly, and back of the arms. Loose skin takes time to tighten, but if your arms are just flabby in the tricep area, you can tighten and tone the muscles in the upper arm to get a tighter look.

Diamond push-ups (hands will form a diamond or triangle on the ground or wall) will hit the triceps and the chest nicely; close-grip chest press will also hit the triceps better than a wide-grip press.

Overhead tricep extensions using both dumbbells and cables (ropes, v-bars, etc) will hit the triceps, just use a heavy enough weight so you're struggling in the last few but can still finish the set.

I also like french presses -- you lay on a bench with a dumbbell in one hand, extended over your chest; lower the DB down to the OPPOSITE shoulder at a diagonal and raise back over the chest.

Kickbacks are also good -- holding a DB in each hand, lean over slightly with a straight back, start with the DB's up at your chest and extend your arms back moving just the elbow until your arm is straight behind you and repeat.

Dips are good but will primarily tone the lower part of the upper arm, which isn't where most women have the loose, flabby skin.

Obviously these types of exercises will help tone the arms, but like others here said, spot training or reducing isn't an option. It needs to be included in a full-body routine and combined with good fat-burning cardio (lower intensity for longer duration) and a clean eating plan that includes healthy fats and clean carbs as well as plenty of good protein.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/15/2010 11:11:59 AM
^^^ I like your pushups idea. They're a very underrated exercise in the amount of muscle groups worked, which equals calories burned, exactly what you need.

Kickbacks (I used to call them donkey kicks) are great. I would add that you can twist your wrist as you get to the top, as this seems to work the inner tricep a little, thus building more size to stretch out the skin.

Also, I believe it's a rumor that more reps/less weight "tones" without building size. Truth is, building size is a whole different animal, and heavy weights with less reps turn up the metabolism a few notches, which in turn burns more calories when you're not exercising.

These are opinons, I'm no expert by any means so take this advice as you wish.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/15/2010 11:37:39 AM

Unfortunately, we women carry the majority of our extra fat in our butt, belly, and back of the arms. Loose skin takes time to tighten, but if your arms are just flabby in the tricep area, you can tighten and tone the muscles in the upper arm to get a tighter look.

If this was true there would be allot less people wondering how they can get those 6 packs to show, because all they would have to do is sit-ups, which everyone with the exception of a few million that buy stuff from late night infomercials know is not true.

Flabby arms do not come from flabby muscles, therefore no muscle training will make any difference. Only a reduction of the fat layer that is attached to the skin will make a visual difference, which comes from a combination of genetics and diet.

Also, I believe it's a rumor that more reps/less weight "tones" without building size. Truth is, building size is a whole different animal, and heavy weights with less reps turn up the metabolism a few notches, which in turn burns more calories when you're not exercising.

Although it is not a rumor and muscle burns more calories than fat, the difference is extremely small.

Few notches = 4 to 6 calories per lb of muscle gained, ergo - not enough to notice and when you calculate in any fat loss (as fat also contributes to calorie consumption) that increased calorie gain goes down even more.
 GirlyMuscle
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/15/2010 2:52:39 PM
More sets. More reps. Nutrition will be your key, but as a life style. What you are wanting to do may require more changes in what you eat etc. There are a number of exercises that can be done. I love tri's and bi's personally. Come spend a day with me :) I do about 14 different things for each ( thanks to my trainer). Kickbacks are good. I did not get 18.5 inch arms doing nothing....how ever we do A LOT of reps ( 5x20) on each exercise. A year later, they look pretty good. What I am saying is it will not happen fast.
 fitandfun78
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/16/2010 8:55:06 AM
If this was true there would be allot less people wondering how they can get those 6 packs to show, because all they would have to do is sit-ups, which everyone with the exception of a few million that buy stuff from late night infomercials know is not true

Please re-read what I wrote, as I never insinuated that exercise alone would reveal toned muscles. In fact, I said healthy eating was crucial and that exercise by itself wouldn't be as effective.

Flabby arms do not come from flabby muscles, therefore no muscle training will make any difference. Only a reduction of the fat layer that is attached to the skin will make a visual difference, which comes from a combination of genetics and diet.

Building lean mass will reduce the fat, so yes, "muscle training" will make a difference, since resistance training helps burn fat. Tightening "flabby muscles" as you call them, will most certainily make a visual difference, otherwise cardio alone would be all we needed to tone ourselves while losing fat, and that's simply not the case. Resistance training in some form is necessary to tone and tighten muscles, so while losing fat will make you look less fat, it will not make you look tight and toned.

I specifically said if her arms are just flabby (meaning it's not loose skin and that it's because her arms aren't muscular) that toning the muscles would tighten the area over time, which is true, as long as she also follows a healthy, clean eating plan, which is stated clearly at the bottom of my post.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/16/2010 12:52:13 PM

Building lean mass will reduce the fat, so yes, "muscle training" will make a difference, since resistance training helps burn fat...

Fat is stored fuel, so any movement will burn fat, not exclusive to resistance training, nor does building muscle have any tangible affects on fat burning.

Tightening "flabby muscles" as you call them, will most certainily make a visual difference, otherwise cardio alone would be all we needed to tone ourselves while losing fat, and that's simply not the case. Resistance training in some form is necessary to tone and tighten muscles, so while losing fat will make you look less fat, it will not make you look tight and toned.

I said "Flabby arms do not come from flabby muscles,...", because there is no such thing as flabby muscles.

It also is impossible to "tone" a muscle.

You can make it larger and or more efficient, but you can not tone it.

I specifically said if her arms are just flabby (meaning it's not loose skin and that it's because her arms aren't muscular) that toning the muscles would tighten the area over time, which is true, as long as she also follows a healthy, clean eating plan, which is stated clearly at the bottom of my post.

If you have flabby arms, it is because you have too much skin and or fat in that area, not too much flabby muscle, because as I previously stated, there is no such thing as flabby muscle.
 GirlyMuscle
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/16/2010 5:51:17 PM
LMFAO what the hell is flabby muscle?
 fitandfun78
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/16/2010 9:44:10 PM

Fat is stored fuel, so any movement will burn fat, not exclusive to resistance training, nor does building muscle have any tangible affects on fat burning.

No where did I say that burning fat was exclusive to resistance training. I was pointing out that resistance training will change the visual appearance since it does burn fat even though you said muscle training will not produce visual changes when it, in fact, will.

I said "Flabby arms do not come from flabby muscles,...", because there is no such thing as flabby muscles.

And I never said there was such a thing as flabby muscles either, I said if she had flabby arms to try those exercises to tighten the area more, meaning to tighten the muscles.

It also is impossible to "tone" a muscle.
You can make it larger and or more efficient, but you can not tone it.

99.9% of the population knows the term "tone" to mean that you're strengthening, sculpting, stimulating, firming, tightening, building, or otherwise changing a muscle in a positive manner, so I used the word "tone" since it's what is recognized by so many as the means to changing a muscle.

There is no need to pick apart what I've posted when I wasn't incorrect with any of my information, nor was I misleading in any way with what I said.
 CrazyCanuckz
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/29/2010 9:12:59 PM

LMFAO what the hell is flabby muscle?

I don't know.

Flabby muscles, tone and all those crazy terms are usually used in informercials to sell their crappy products. I doubt 99.9% of the population thinks of toning up muscles or whatever. Anyone in the fitness industry with half a brain wouldn't use these terms unless they are trying to sell something. Using wrong terminology can confuse people.

Muscles can't be toned since the process of growing muscles involves microscopic tears.
 satx78218
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 7:10:52 AM
"LMFAO what the hell is flabby muscle"

Watch any bodybuilder run down the beach to see how much all that beef jiggles. Not quite as rigid when flexed, and frozen in a photograph.

(not talking about female BBers and their plastic t!ts)
 4rumninja
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/4/2011 4:56:55 AM
Weighted dips at a Dip station, not between two benches.. Cardio and diet to lose the fat....if it is excessive skin,surgery, or build enough muscle to replace the fat...or gain weight ...lol
 MusicFanGeek
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/4/2011 12:02:22 PM
This site has been extremely helpful in determining a good workout routine.

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/

Scooby has some greats tips on building up those pecks! Remember, it's all about the push/pull
 Spark904
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/5/2011 11:22:49 AM
Weighted dips(elbows tucked), close-grip bench press, skullcrushers and rope pulldowns for tris.
Incline bench press, weighted dips(leaning forward/elbows out), pec deck, and push-up variations for pecs.
 matchlight
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2011 10:03:36 PM
Spot toning doesn't work. The best exercise is pushing yourself away from the table!

I don't think it's that hard to work your triceps or pectorals. I've found the various machines (tri extension, seated dip, pec fly, bench press, etc.) work just fine. More important just to do them regularly than to get exactly the right exercise. I just do one set, but with enough weight so I can't do more than about 12 reps. And the last couple reps should be very hard to do. I like to use negative resistance, too--i.e. take about 3-4 seconds to let the weight back down each time.
 satx78218
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 8:25:31 AM
Just read this a few days ago about eccentric exercise.

Strength-training study suggests 'eccentric' exercise is superior

half an hour of eccentric exercise a week boosted muscle strength and lowered insulin resistance more than concentric exercise.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/healthyliving2/stories/DN-nh_weights_0111gd.ART.State.Edition1.1480464.html

strange stuff, and they never come to the end of discovering strange stuff. :)
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/13/2011 2:23:20 PM
strange stuff, and they never come to the end of discovering strange stuff. :)

I would agree we will never end in discovering things we do not fully understand, but their claims are very much out there, considering the methods and group size and no control group for references.

You can have someone do a certain movement and see no gain, while someone else will see gains, which can be attributed to many things.

Strength increases and size increases (with relation to the muscle) comes from effort and how do you gauge that when it is all relative?

I would say most people that exercise would see benefits with 'eccentric' movements because they normally do not do them. (ie. the lift and drop)

I always try and stall my movements at the top and bottom and also never let the weight fall back down, taking twice as long to lower the weight as I did to raise it.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Tri Cept and Pec Exercises (esp. around the arm pits)