Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > no one replies to my messages      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 awhit1212
Msg: 1
no one replies to my messagesPage 1 of 1    
I've been on this site for years and I haven't had much luck getting replies from women I've sent emails to. I've read the recommendations provided by this site for writing profiles and have tried to follow them. I would appreciate any feedback that other users could provide.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 2
view profile
History
no one replies to my messages
Posted: 11/26/2010 4:03:17 PM

I haven't figured out the trick to writing a good profile. I've read a couple of help articles online so hopefully they are steering me in the right direction. I'll try to make my profile stand out and to be easy to identify with.

This could be part of your troubles. You're trying too hard. I think the observant woman would look at you seeking online articles to do what they CAN'T DO (talk about you) as bizarre. So, that might be turning them away. If you're trying to make it 'easy to identify with' as in appealing to the masses then you're not going to succeed. Say what you want and let people decide for themselves. If you DO have a target audience then go for it.
 smartypants24
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/26/2010 6:10:27 PM

I haven't figured out the trick to writing a good profile. I've read a couple of help articles online so hopefully they are steering me in the right direction. I'll try to make my profile stand out and to be easy to identify with.

I second the advice to take this out. It makes it seem like you're lacking confidence in yourself, which most women don't find appealing. I don't often say or think that its appropriate to "fake it til you make it" except in the case of dating. Sometimes pretending that you're confident helps things work out, which in turn helps you actually BE more confident (I speak from personal experience here)

I would also take this out

Religion is always a dangerous topic to mention but I'll give an overview since it is important to many people. I used to be a devout Christian but within the last year I have lost my faith and become agnostic. I've still been attending with my parents so I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do with that yet. On a side note I don't live with my parents.

Religion is a testy subject with some people, and while I would mention it BRIEFLY if it came up on a date, or in early conversations, I wouldn't put it right up there on your profile.

Last thing, promise. Your final paragraph is a little depressing and sad. Honestly. I would either take it out completely, or try to find some way to turn it around. Talk about WHY you're looking for someone to settle down and spend your life with. Talk about what kind of relationship you're looking for, and what you look for in a partner. Keep it positive (not a list of things you DON'T want), and light.
 awhit1212
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/29/2010 4:16:05 PM
I've removed the first paragraph since it seems to have received a thumbs down. I'd appreciate some more opinions before I make more changes.
 You go first
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/29/2010 8:29:37 PM
You need some humour!

You had the opportunity with the frisbee line, then let it die. Why not add, "I'm sure they design them just to make me look silly..." or something like that.

This line: Events like this can be kind of depressing since most of my friends are married and having children. They have moved forward with their lives but sometimes I feel like I'm going in circles is REALLY depressing. Gawd!!! You can say basically the same thing without sounding like you're ready to cry. How about instead:

I enjoy these opportunities to spend time with my friends and their families. Many of my friends have married and are starting families and I am ready to look for that in the not-so-distant future. Spin it positive.
 awhit1212
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/3/2010 4:36:38 PM
I've tried to make the last paragraph less sad. Does anyone else have an opinion?
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/3/2010 4:45:13 PM
As a person you seem fine, attracive, well-educated, good job etc. but your interest section on your profile isn't very uh, interesting. You need to spice up your profile but I"m not sure how. Very helpful, I know. Usually I'm not at a loss but not sure this time.
 pasmal
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/3/2010 5:27:20 PM
Interests--very boyish--WTH is a girl to do? Put in "shareable" interests, c'mon.
Be more "we". What will you do, where will you go?
Sorry "losing my religion" is a downer.
Pics--Use 2nd one for now--it's crisper than blurry main--re-shoot main --CU smiling head shoulder--dress up. 1 faraway baggy shorts--not a great pic--I'm sure you're athletic and need a better pic to show that.
Pics are the thing--get 8 flattering ones, and positive, inclusive text.
 Captain_Random
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2010 1:16:18 PM
It all depends on who you message. Cast a wide net. Lower your standards a bit.

As an aside, I think a lot of men sign up for online dating and think "Alright! Here I am! Bring on the hot, desperate chicks!" Yeah...it doesn't work that way. Just because a woman's using online dating, doesn't mean she's desperate.
 buffalobob1949
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/27/2012 7:37:27 PM
All I can say is I know how you feel.It is discouraging, I wonder if women send out a lot of messages,and get no responses?
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > no one replies to my messages