Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Certain songs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ItsMargo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Certain songsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Yep, and good moments too. Funny how memories are prompted.
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 3
Certain songs
Posted: 12/4/2010 5:30:47 PM
No, I don't feel the pain of the failed relationship, just the music. I can feel emotions in certain songs (Almost Lover chokes me up every time) - but I do have certain songs that speak to me and will take me back to a moment in time, some moments are good and some are really bad. But I have learned that in time the song won't cause the negative reaction and I am able to reflect on the moment and smile because at least we shared that music.
 moraima
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/4/2010 5:46:51 PM
"Obviously music is one of the few things that places us right in a certain moment when a certain song comes on. "

I realize that a lot of people live like that, but I never have.

The only place I listen to music is in my vehicle when driving alone.

I had a long term relationship with a gentleman, who was always saying "you know such and such a song". I must have said no a hundred times, but he never got it that I don't live my life according to songs.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 9
Certain songs
Posted: 12/4/2010 5:59:32 PM
I know just what you mean, OP. Many years ago I dated a girl who was very special to me. She was a huge Barry Manilow fan and to this day whenever I hear one of his songs I think of her. Although our relationship had its ups and downs, I now tend to remember the good times we shared.

I think music affects different people in different ways. There is no right or wrong... some people are just more "into" music than others.

Good post, by the way.
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/4/2010 6:37:39 PM
Only early on after the break up. After a while I hardly remember the guy much less the songs that set me off. I can't hang onto anger or hurt that long.

Yeah, those of us who aren't just like someone else, we are all soulless horrible losers. LOL I feel so badly about not being the type of person to hang onto something that's over and wallow in it...evil person that I am.
 moraima
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/4/2010 8:16:16 PM
"Yeah, those of us who aren't just like someone else, we are all soulless horrible losers. LOL I feel so badly about not being the type of person to hang onto something that's over and wallow in it...evil person that I am. "

I have heard it said that some people like to live out their lives as a drama or romantic movie complete with sound track. Sounds like the person who said it had known many people like that.

To me music is to dance to, and I don't relate it to people or experiences.
 MsMicki
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/4/2010 9:22:58 PM
Oh most definately!
But it's not really a sadness it brings to me....but more of a fond memory.
Unless it is one of my Mom's favorites....they can actually make me cry sometimes.
I remember my first b/f and I's song......Reunited by Peaches and Herb!!
We had broke up and got back together when that song came out.
Now, if I hear it.......I smile thinking of my first love (and lover).

I'm a huge music person.....I have songs that remind me of numerous stages in my life.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/5/2010 1:34:44 AM
some music takes me back to a specific time ... for a second or two ... with any luck I can milk it even longer!

there was a lovely man who used to sing "You Got It!" to me in his oh, so very Roy Orbison voice ... "You Light Up My Life" reminds me of fireworks and a music box from a delightfully imaginative creative and dynamic man ... "I Live for Your Love!," while having incredibly sappy lyrics, nevertheless reminds me of a wonderful man who will always have a special place in my memory ... by chance, it was the first song we ever danced to ... despite our joking about the general sappiness and neediness of that song, he continued to request it whenever we were together ...

these are great memories ... I cherish them!

I've heard that scent provides an even greater jolt, too ... but haven't experienced that yet! instead of "soul-less" ... maybe I'm "scent-less" !!!
 mateo45
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/5/2010 4:08:32 AM
supposedly the sense of smell is even more memory provoking than music. a particular cologne or perfume, food cooking etc... can take us right back to that moment.... timeless.

Yup, music will do it, although seems more like it evokes the "mood" or emotional sense of some experience. But smell, most definitely, even for the "olfactory-challenged" like me.... it'll still cue places, people, and even the colors and details of events that took place many years ago (though I ain't gonna admit just how "many"....)! ;-p
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 26
Certain songs
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:33:52 AM
I think the music "aspect" of our brains can be very powerful for some of us. I was fascinated when I discovered that people with left hemi strokes, which creates huge speech deficits, could learn to speak again using music -- that they could sing what they could not say. But each of us is wired a little differently from all others, just as we are allergic to different medicines, and prone to different diseases.

My first and most totally powerful musical memory is a song that became popular when I was two or three years old. My memory and memories of it are not the commercial version, but rather my mother standing at the sink, cooking or washing up, singing it under her breath. And it brings back almost immediately and wholly that period of her life, and mine. A period of great loss and longing. . . . In fact, thinking about it, remembering it, and humming as I type, tears have formed in my eyes.

When the Lights Go On Again All Over the World

Written by Eddie Seller, Sol Marcus, and Bennie Benjamin

Vaughn Monroe and His Orchestra too it to a US # 1 in 1943, and a competing version by Lucky Millinder hit # 12. This was a mid-WW2 song. The title refers to the practice of having to black out possible bombing targets and to avoid back-lighting targets for bombs.

When the lights go on again all over the world
And the boys are home again all over the world
And rain or snow is all that may fall from the skies above
A kiss won't mean "goodbye" but "Hello to love"

And the ships will sail again all over the world
Then we'll have time for things like wedding rings and free hearts will sing

iamthstuff
Msg: 28
Certain songs
Posted: 12/6/2010 12:51:50 PM
Music brings back memories, plain and simple, not just for love relationships, but for family relationships, life events, etc. Some may be bad, some good. Tis life. musingsandvisuals blogspot com
 Molly Maude
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/6/2010 1:01:41 PM
there was a song ... summer of '72 ... some whiny thing about "Alone Again ... Naturally!" ... someone bemoaning the fact that he was "naturally" alone again ... parent died or something ... barely remember it now ...

but ... I was in the very early first stages of a divorce, my husband had our little boys all summer because the judge granted him a 6 weeks vacation with them ... then he kidnapped them for another 6 weeks or so ... he would let the oldest one call me occasionally ... but not long enough to trace the call ... I could hear the little one crying in the background ... and I had to listen to that song ... all summer ... hated that song! hadn't thought of THAT in a long time!

thank God THAT's over ...

P.S. isn't it amazing what we live through?? !!!
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 32
Certain songs
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:51:03 PM
my exwife and i enjoyed a great sex life and after her multiple orgasms, when she was ready for me to cum and finish up she'd give me this big beautiful perfect teeth smile say "I Love You" and it literally triggered my orgasm, made me cum like a flood.

so......

John Waite - When I See You Smile

"I can face the world, you know i can do anything"..........

it's a bittersweet memory.
 matchlight
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:34:01 AM
I can think of a few songs to stay away from, if your mind ever turns to what might have been. Roy Orbison's "In Dreams," the Left Banke's "Walk Away Renee," and Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" could be tough for the heart to handle.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Certain songs
Posted: 12/11/2010 11:30:46 AM
Music enters the depths of the soul and triggers the emotions whether good or bad. Sometimes, there is unfinished business that needs to be address. Don't ignore these feelings. Your heart is prompting you to deal with the emotions. Possibly Journal and you may find a solution.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Certain songs